Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Week 16: @Chiefs

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Week 16: @Chiefs

I haven't seen the game cause I am away from any kind of cable TV but I read the defense was immense yesterday. How did the offense and playcalling was like?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the O line gave Luck time to throw. That cannot be understated.
    Agree, and they ran lots of max protect too with the RB and FB on either side of Luck. That helped too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    How did the offense and playcalling was like?
    At half time they put up a stat that said 21 passes to 7 rushes. I don't know what it ended up being, as they ran quite a bit in the second half to keep the clock running, but it was definitely one-sided towards passing when they needed to move the ball.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1) So the Chiefs are a top-team, and are a strong home team. Indy walks in there and beats them soundly. Flip on all the sports channels and sports radio --- I've been watching/listening now for 2 hours and not a single recap of coverage of this game. That was an impressive win and no one is even paying attention.
    2) As bad as our November lull was, you could argue that no team in the NFL has a more impressive collection of wins over the top teams.
    3) The O-line --- pass protection grade: B+. Run blocking grade: D. I'll take the improvement, especially, in the passing game to keep Luck upright. I do wish we could improve the run-blocking. I know we broke 100 yards yesterday, but half of it was Brown's huge run. And this line/playcalling still favors DBrown. I don't know why, but the plays unfold completely differently for Brown than they do TRich. Every time. Holes open up for DBrown --- the line collapses back on TRich. Why, Pep, why?
    4) Like I said a few weeks back, our D sort of feeds off our O. When our offense struggled, it sort of sucked the wind out of the defense. Now that the offense seems to back on track, the defense seems to have new life.
    5) So I guess it's time to waive Griff Whalen again. He's been a nice contributor all year, and yet they keep cuttin him.
    6) We're in play for the #2 seed. Thing is --- I don't really want it. Our bye this year threw us off for a month... I have never liked the first-round bye.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    1) So the Chiefs are a top-team, and are a strong home team. Indy walks in there and beats them soundly. Flip on all the sports channels and sports radio --- I've been watching/listening now for 2 hours and not a single recap of coverage of this game. That was an impressive win and no one is even paying attention.
    2) As bad as our November lull was, you could argue that no team in the NFL has a more impressive collection of wins over the top teams.
    3) The O-line --- pass protection grade: B+. Run blocking grade: D. I'll take the improvement, especially, in the passing game to keep Luck upright. I do wish we could improve the run-blocking. I know we broke 100 yards yesterday, but half of it was Brown's huge run. And this line/playcalling still favors DBrown. I don't know why, but the plays unfold completely differently for Brown than they do TRich. Every time. Holes open up for DBrown --- the line collapses back on TRich. Why, Pep, why?
    4) Like I said a few weeks back, our D sort of feeds off our O. When our offense struggled, it sort of sucked the wind out of the defense. Now that the offense seems to back on track, the defense seems to have new life.
    5) So I guess it's time to waive Griff Whalen again. He's been a nice contributor all year, and yet they keep cuttin him.
    6) We're in play for the #2 seed. Thing is --- I don't really want it. Our bye this year threw us off for a month... I have never liked the first-round bye.

I don't think you have to worry about the 2 seed. The Pats won't lose to Buffalo at home next week.

What impressed me most about Whalen was his tenacity in fighting for yards after the catch.

BTW, where has Fleener been the last two weeks? I'm not going to complain because we are winning, but he had zero catches against Houston and just two yesterday. I hope that we find a way to get him involved against the lowly Jags next week because it would be nice to give him a boost of confidence heading into the playoffs. He's a big asset for this offense.

This game felt almost IDENTICAL to the San Francisco game. We were playing on the road in a hostile environment against an opponent that few people gave us a chance to beat. Then our defense goes out and manhandles the opposing offense, while our offense comes up with perfectly timed plays.

I feel much better about the team now. I'm not penciling them in for an AFC championship game appearance, but we definitely have the potential to make some noise.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    At half time they put up a stat that said 21 passes to 7 rushes. I don't know what it ended up being, as they ran quite a bit in the second half to keep the clock running, but it was definitely one-sided towards passing when they needed to move the ball.
    Was it effective all in all or was it a matter of defense having a major game and being the main reason we won it?

Hope we didn't have many head scratching plays and showed further improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Was it effective all in all or was it a matter of defense having a major game and being the main reason we won it?
    It was very effective. Honestly, I think the offense helped the defense moreso than the other way around.

Letting Luck get in a groove and moving the chains, then going to the power run has always made much more logical sense to me rather than establishing the run and then going for the pass. At least for teams that struggle to run and have a good throwing QB.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

CBS cut to their camera feed at the top of Arrowhead towards the beginning of the 4th qtr, and qutie a bit of fans were leaving and a whole hell of a lot looked like they had left somewhere around halftime. The only thing I could think of was "good thing this isn't a home game, or we'd have 5 pages whining that they aren't true fan enough to freeze their balls off."

The older I get the more thankful I am that LOS kept the roof. Good God, I'd hate to have to sit/stand in weather like that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Letting Luck get in a groove and moving the chains, then going to the power run has always made much more logical sense to me rather than establishing the run and then going for the pass. At least for teams that struggle to run and have a good throwing QB.
    Spot on. The other way around is not that it will never work but if you just can't run to set up the passing game then it's time for the other way.

Don't know why the staff was hell bent on that since it wasn't working but let's hope they have realized it at last.

Colts links: Dominating road win has restored faith
    By Matthew Glenesk, matthew.glenesk@indystar.com

- Just how good was the Colts' defensive effort on Sunday? Check this out from the Elias Sports Bureau:

The Colts stopped the NFL's hottest offense cold on Sunday. The Chiefs had averaged 41.8 points over their previous four games, which was the highest four-game mark in team history.
    On Sunday, K.C. became the first team since 1954 to score fewer than 10 points in a game immediately following a four-game stretch with an average of 40 or more points. The only other teams to have done that both won their low-scoring game: the Giants in 1950 (9-7 over the Eagles); and the Browns in 1954 (6-0 over the Eagles).
    - Colts WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, who lost his starting job, produced some important special teams plays in Sunday's win. The Star's Mike Chappell blogs about DHB and his contributions to the team:

During his four-year career in Oakland, Heyward-Bey was an offensive focal point.
    "Yeah, I was on a team where I was the No. 1 receiver, had 975 yards (in 2011) and all that,'' he said. "But we never won more than eight games.
    "Nothing beats winning. Nothing.''

More:
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...hiefs/4174337/
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of Pag's better post-game speeches:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/P...e-27af49e603ff
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

CBS cut to their camera feed at the top of Arrowhead towards the beginning of the 4th qtr, and qutie a bit of fans were leaving and a whole hell of a lot looked like they had left somewhere around halftime. The only thing I could think of was "good thing this isn't a home game, or we'd have 5 pages whining that they aren't true fan enough to freeze their balls off."

The older I get the more thankful I am that LOS kept the roof. Good God, I'd hate to have to sit/stand in weather like that.
    Yeah, an open roof stadium just wouldn't work in Indy. People around here just aren't hardened enough for it. I sure as hell would rather sit in Lucas in December than Soldier Field. Plus we had to build an indoor stadium so that we could get Final Fours and other indoor events.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also... our secondary has felt anemic for a month. They looked really good yesterday. Did having Toler back really have that big of an impact? I guess you'd have to assume so.

Actually, Arrowhead was far from full at the start. I kind of wonder if some of the upper deck people moved down to the lower sections as the game went on because even that wasn't full at the start.

And my first thought was: There would be a certain subset of fans complaining about Indy's fairweather fans if that was here. The perception is, I'm sure, that Kansas is a great football region and those fans would be there hot or cold, win or lose.... But the truth is most places are just like Indy. Or Indy is just like most places... fans support the team when it's winning. And nobody goes 100% 'in' in bad weather even if they are a winner.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So I thought our RBs were pretty even in production yesterday once you took away DBrown's huge run. I went back and looked at that run, and sure enough --- it was one of the few times our O line won at the line of scrimmage. Huge hole. There were only 6 defenders in the box. It still begs the question for me --- why is it that Brown gets this type of blocking and play-calling, while TRich doesn't? I saw a number of people in the game-thread during the game make mention of TRich not being used right, and I whole-heartedly agree. I just don't get it. It's like they run Brown in passing situations, and the line actually decides to win a matchup, then they stick TRich in with 9 guys in the box and make him go up the middle for a zero yard gain. Brown also gets a few of the "TRich play calls" throughout each game, and he gets stuffed as expected. It's like they never put TRich in a position to succeed. OR... the opposing teams have a different mindset to defend TRich and they stack the box. I dunno. But it's clear as day to me... Brown's run plays have more space and less congestion in front of him, and TRIch's plays are congested as hell.

I just don't get it. He's a dynamic back --- use him right.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Maybe it's they need to throw the ball to Trich more and the problem is teams stack the box up when they see TRich in the game versus when they see Brown in the game?

------

-John Wooden

Isn't that more of a reason to throw to TRich when he's in the game? If they are stacking the box then throw the ball and they'll pay for doing it. And when they stop doing it, run the ball with TRich. It's like magic
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I was pretty excited to go to the Colts game in Cincy, but that was miserable. It was so bloody cold, and I was hunched over the entire time. I would never go to a local game in the winter, it's really not worth it at all.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth Luck has about half the pics he had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    For what it's worth Luck has about half the pics he had last year.
    Arians offense is built for turnovers. Pep's offense protects the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    No credit to Luck for improving as a second year pro?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Protecting the ball isn't that great when you punt as much as the Colts did in November. Besides, often times long interceptions really aren't that much worse than a punt if you're able to quickly tackle the guy who intercepts it.

The Arians' offense got the most out of a rookie quarterback. He taught Luck how to play a pro-style passing game. Sure Luck as a rookie was going to throw some picks, but overall that style of offense made him a better quarterback. Part of the reason there have been fewer interceptions this year is simply because of Luck's natural maturity. Lord only knows how great Luck's numbers could have been in year two of an Arians' system. Arians got the most out of Luck last year. Pep has not, and has held Luck back a lot this season.

Peyton throwing 28 picks as a rookie was a good thing. It was frustrating in the heat of the moment, but overall the interceptions were good learning experiences that made him a better quarterback in future years. Same with Luck last year. A rookie needs to take his lumps and learn from them. Luck's interceptions last year are a bit over-exaggerated anyway. Sure, he threw 18 of them, but half of them came in three games (3 @Chi, 3 @ NE, 3 @ DET). So he threw 3 in the very first game of his career in a hostile Solider Field, 3 against the Hoodie in Foxboro (hardly the first QB to have a rough day there), and 3 in Detroit in a game where he led an impressive comeback by throwing the ball a ton.

When I look at Arians last year, I think that's a coach who got the absolute max out of a rookie quarterback. When I look at Pagano/Pep this year, I think that's a coaching staff who hasn't fully unleashed their greatest asset. Sure we've won a lot, but we could have played better. At least they are trying to fix their mistakes right now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also... our secondary has felt anemic for a month. They looked really good yesterday. Did having Toler back really have that big of an impact? I guess you'd have to assume so.
    I don't think Toler played, and KC doesn't have great WRs either...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He was active, but didn't play?

He was active, but didn't play?
    Played like 7 or 8 snaps.