Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacers-Rockets Postgame: Pacers win by #33

Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers-Rockets Postgame: Pacers win by #33

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George Hill had a tremendous game, and its perplexing to see how good this cat can be when plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Man I about lost my mind when Danny blocked Howards shot. Fieldhouse was rocking on that play. So glad to see my favorite player get back to competing. He was really making some great passes and moving the ball around, if thats a sign of things to come then this team is gonna be in really good shape going forward, playing smart ball. I don't worry about the 5 TO's. Most of them were just rust. This team, for me, is starting to feel whole again.
    As I said in the game.....there is "Passive George Hill" and there is "Aggressive George Hill".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No, those reports are wrong. It's the same deal with Lin.

http://www.shamsports.com/2013/07/om...-contract.html
    It says 14mil for Lin and 14mil for Asik next year, hoopsworld salary also says the same thing.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Really? A guy who has pretty much become a spot up shooter can't play until he's 37?
    It's not his style of play that concerns me, it's the knee. From everything I understand the only way for it not to eventually act up again is to basically not play basketball anymore. But anyway, I don't want to drag this into another thread.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    It says 14mil for Lin and 14mil for Asik next year, hoopsworld salary also says the same thing.
    Cubs is right. The cap hit is 8.3, the actual check is ~15. So it depends on the owner, 8.3 is the number you'd have to match in a trade, and only 8.3 of the 15 would apply to tax penalties and stuff like that. In a way it's sort of like he gets paid 8.3 to play basketball, and 6.7 to do community outreach stuff or something.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

Really? A guy who has pretty much become a spot up shooter can't play until he's 37?
    The list is not that long but sure he can be Rasual Butler in some team if his knee lets him.

No, those reports are wrong. It's the same deal with Lin.

http://www.shamsports.com/2013/07/om...-contract.html
    Err, only 8.3 million counts towards the cap, but the remaining 7 million has to be paid by the owner. So he still gets paid 15 million, just only 8 counts towards the cap.

Banned

Cubs is right. The cap hit is 8.3, the actual check is ~15. So it depends on the owner, 8.3 is the number you'd have to match in a trade, and only 8.3 of the 15 would apply to tax penalties and stuff like that. In a way it's sort of like he gets paid 8.3 to play basketball, and 6.7 to do community outreach stuff or something.
    Funny that they have to pay all that to Lin and Asik lol if I'm a western conference owner I let them eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Why does Hoosier not post when we win? I know someone said it earlier to and its very true. Even as we were beating the Heat, he didn't post a thing until they came back. I don't know, just very odd.
    What's odd about it? Seems straightforward to me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Houston's shot chart, mind you they're the best 3 point shooting team in the league

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

That was fun to watch!

I wasn't impressed by Harden at all this game and not just because of his shooting. He showed no interest in getting Howard the ball even when he was having success.

Sports Logo

So I know that he's only 5-37 for his career (both of those numbers kind of shock me a bit), but would anyone else be cool with Scola launching a corner 3 every once in awhile? Not often or anything, not gonna camp him in the corner, but if Frank sees it open up over the course of a game.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

So I know that he's only 5-37 for his career (both of those numbers kind of shock me a bit), but would anyone else be cool with Scola launching a corner 3 every once in awhile? Not often or anything, not gonna camp him in the corner, but if Frank sees it open up over the course of a game.
    Sure but I rather see him posting up more, Vogel needs to give him more minutes too.

2 things really stood out for me in this game, and neither of them will make the box score.

1- I'd have to go back and watch a replay to confirm, but Paul's defense on Harden was so good that Harden didn't even touch the ball in the first 3 minutes. And when he finally touched it, Paul deflected it out of bounds. Paul gave Harden no room to breathe. It was so impressive. Harden scored 12, and 5 of those were free throws.

2-When Granger came in, there was a play on the left baseline where he ran a pick/curl by CJ Watson and Watson held the ball. Watson's man dropped off on Danny, leaving a wide open lane for CJ to drive. He hit Scola perfectly for his first 3 of the season.

It seems trivial, but here's why it's not: there are some players (even former Pacers), like Troy Murphy, who are good 3 point shooters. Nick Young is another example..he led the league in corner 3 pt percentage a couple of seasons ago for the Clippers. But what makes Granger different from these guys? Opponents don't care if Nick Young or Troy Murphy get open looks, and they never did. Opponents would slouch off of these guys to play help defense, almost in a daring way. But Danny is a threat to shoot, and his presence as a threat, even with a lower 3 pt %, is much more important to our team than a guy that can hit 40% from three. Opponents stick to Danny, and when they do it opens up the floor for other players, like what happened tonight on the Watson play. Guys never doubled Troy Murphy, but here's Danny in his first game back getting a double.

It's no coincidence that our bench scored 40+ points tonight. A big part of that was Granger's presence, as his defenders didn't stray too far away from him the entire night. He spaced the floor, and our other guys had backdoor cuts all night long. That's how you space the floor, with an offensive threat. And that's why Troy Murphy never spaced the floor.

Btw, the Granger play I'm talking about is up on video on NBA.com. It's CJ's first assist from the link below. Hopefully someone can embed it.

http://stats.nba.com/playerGameLogs....rowsPerPage=25

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The numbers surprise me as well. I think Scola can successfully shoot from about any distance, as long as he's facing the basket straight on with his legs under him. He's very consistent with his form and shoots it well. I would gladly see Scola get an end of quarter play for a 3 go his direction rather than the crap that we usually execute with George calling his own number and dribbling until the clock is at one second.

We have to have the least innovative end of quarter plays in the entire league. I say "free Luis!"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The commentators during FIBA this summer said he was working on extending his range to the three. He shot some then.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I bet Houston is missing Scola right about now... he could be nice next to Howard, oh well

Sports Logo

I'd be cool with corner 3s. Scola was certainly shooting some FIBA 3s this summer and the corner 3 is similar to the FIBA 3. So, I'm cool with that idea. No above the break 3s, though.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo

6 more years is 37 yeah I don't see it.
    dont tell ray allen that

Asik is big time overrated and his salary is going to be crazy next year, 15mil for a guy with no offense and can't hit free throws? meh.
    An $8mil cap hit for one of the top rebounding and defensive centers in the league? I'd take that in a heartbeat. Asik is a less mobile, but slightly better version of Jeff Foster IMO and a valuable commodity to any team looking to contend. I actually think he's a good fit in Houston, but apparently I'm wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    An $8mil cap hit for one of the top rebounding and defensive centers in the league? I'd take that in a heartbeat. Asik is a less mobile, but slightly better version of Jeff Foster IMO and a valuable commodity to any team looking to contend. I actually think he's a good fit in Houston, but apparently I'm wrong.
    8mil cap hit plus 7mil cash hit next year that is a lot of money, plus the 4mil they are still paying for Scola? they are spending a lot of money for no reason.

And regarding the fit I never thought he was a good fit with Howard that was a fail since the beggining.

Sports Logo

You know what happens when Players start taking 3pt shots....they start to fall in love with that shot.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    8mil cap hit plus 7mil cash hit next year that is a lot of money, plus the 4mil they are still paying for Scola? they are spending a lot of money for no reason.

And regarding the fit I never thought he was a good fit with Howard that was a fail since the beggining.
    I have to agree with vnzla81 here.....having a Center that has no range beyond the paint would need a Scola/West like Player that can hit the mid-range shot. Having 2 of them on the floor that has little range outside the paint at the same time makes no sense.

That is a very inefficient use of your salary cap. Asik is the only asset that the Rockets have that can net them anything of value.......why they want to keep his asking price that high is just stupid.

What's worse than that? Having a MAX Level Center and a $8 mil Back up Center that can't share the floor at the same time...thus reducing Asik to a very solid $8 mil Backup Center that can only play 18 mpg MAX. It's like paying a Player $14 mil just to be a backup Player
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-21-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

6 more years is 37 yeah I don't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I have to agree with vnzla81 here.....having a Center that has no range beyond the paint would need a Scola/West like Player that can hit the mid-range shot. Having 2 of them on the floor that has little range outside the paint at the same time makes no sense.

What's worse than that? Having a MAX Level Center and a $8 mil Back up Center that can't share the floor at the same time...thus reducing Asik to a very solid $8 mil Backup Center that can only play 18 mpg MAX. That is a very inefficient use of your salary cap. Asik is the only asset that the Rockets have that can net them anything of value.......why they want to keep his asking price that high is just stupid.
    Maybe after tonite they would take Ian, Copeland and OJ for Asik could even throw in a 2nd rounder or 2 if they really insisted

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    You know what happens when Players start taking 3pt shots....they start to fall in love with that shot.
    Nah. West never fell in love with it. He did take 3s when playing in NOLA (had 4 straight seasons in which he shot more than 25 3s) but he never seeemed to fall in love with the shot.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I think it's safe to say Lance isn't going to be winning any league wide popularity contests anytime soon. :P

Great win.
    On the Lance bandwagon