View Poll Results: Should Scola get more playing time?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 65.12%
  • No(please explain)

15 34.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Why Scola is not getting more minutes?

Default Re: Question: Why Scola is not getting more minutes?

Why? Because of his D. Should be get more minutes, maybe. There is merit to the idea of not playing West too many minutes. I think it really comes down to just what is working that night.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scola is playing by far the fewest minutes of his career this season. Now that's certainly very understandable to a point since the Pacers are by far the best team he's ever played on. But he played mid 20's MPG his rookie year, low 30's for the next four, and then mid 20's last year. He is currently averaging 18.5 MPG.

I'd like to see him at about 22-23 MPG and chip off some of D West's minutes. D West is certainly the better defender, but I think that it would ultimately be a good move since all of those rested minutes would add up for D West.
    I think we'll see the numbers start declining for West and increasing for Luis. Not to mix and match threads, but UB's thread about the remaining travel games was kind of the direction I was going to go with for my reasoning. Looking at David's game logs, he's pretty much getting his minutes cut, in the games where they can cut them. I think it's a combination of Luis being a new member of the squad, and going through a pretty rough patch of the schedule.

I hope that's what will happen, but I think it will too.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

13 minutes for Scola tonight that's is ridiculous (6 and 8 for him)

I think the split should be West 28 mpg and Scola 20 mpg.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think the split should be West 28 mpg and Scola 20 mpg.
    He should get at least 20 minutes, I don't understand Vogel he takes minutes from the young guys and refuses to take minutes from the older one weird.

In terms of on the court contribution, Scola is on par with West this season if the minutes are leveled. I think instead of giving a fixed minutes limit to both, why not just adjust the minutes on a situational basis? If West is clicking, play him more than Scola. If Scola is clicking, play him more than West. I just don't like them playing together though because they give up too much on interior defense.

This is an easy question to want to say yes to but I don't see it happening. I do think 13 minutes is not enough and I'd like to see West kept to around 30 as long as Scola is playing well. When we first made the trade I thought Ian would be the odd man out but the combo of West/Scola doesn't seem to work well for us. Our front court rotation just isn't as interchangeable as our wing rotation. It's a lot easier for me to see PG/Granger/Lance all play around 30-33 minutes each then to want to split West/Scola at 24. I'd say 30/18 would be a good split but I agree that Vogel needs to stop being such an egg timer with minutes. There are too many times when we have a bench player playing better then a starter and Vogel doesn't adjust to this.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    He should get at least 20 minutes, I don't understand Vogel he takes minutes from the young guys and refuses to take minutes from the older one weird.
    I want David West to take a whole game off. Maybe put him on the Duncan diet. That way we all can see Scola go up against starters and chill on this "Scola is getting shafted".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I want David West to take a whole game off. Maybe put him on the Duncan diet. That way we all can see Scola go up against starters and chill on this "Scola is getting shafted".
    It kind of looked to me like West took the game off yesterday he was bad and still got 36 minutes and for your information Scola is a capable starter.

And nope I never said that Scola is getting "shafted" stop making s*** up.

I wouldn't mind if Frank rested the starters occasionally as the season went on... especially West and Hill. West because he's got the best backup, and Hill to counter the nagging injuries he tends to pick up as the season goes on.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

It kind of looked to me like West took the game off yesterday he was bad and still got 36 minutes and for your information Scola is a capable starter.

And nope I never said that Scola is getting "shafted" stop making s*** up.
    Sorry but it seems like this is your next campaign. I don't think West took the night off. I don't think he played super great either. He demanded a double team and got tired. I don't fault him for being tired. I fault Vogel. Thompson is young and relentless on the offensive glass. In the 1st half I want to see Scola play half of it. And depending on the need I want West fresh out there in the 2nd. If that is 18 minutes because the other team is close then fine. West is a better player. We obviously do not agree on that. So we should just leave it at that.

I want Scola to play more because I want West fresh for the playoffs. It seems that you want Scola to play more because he is the better option. Agreeing to disagree. I could pull up the defensive ratings and rebound rates of Scola last year as a starter to see if he better than West as a starter. But it is a different team, different story. So I am not wasting my time.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

His defense is an issue. He seems so flat footed
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Sorry but it seems like this is your next campaign. I don't think West took the night off. I don't think he played super great either. He demanded a double team and got tired. I don't fault him for being tired. I fault Vogel. Thompson is young and relentless on the offensive glass. In the 1st half I want to see Scola play half of it. And depending on the need I want West fresh out there in the 2nd. If that is 18 minutes because the other team is close then fine. West is a better player. We obviously do not agree on that. So we should just leave it at that.

I want Scola to play more because I want West fresh for the playoffs. It seems that you want Scola to play more because he is the better option. Agreeing to disagree. I could pull up the defensive ratings and rebound rates of Scola last year as a starter to see if he better than West as a starter. But it is a different team, different story. So I am not wasting my time.
    I see that you are making a lot of assumptions and you are saying a lot of things that make my point, you are saying that West was tired and that you want West fresh for the playoffs well that is my point it doesn't make sense for the best PF backup in the NBA to only play 13 minutes last night that is stupid.

Read my previous posts too I'm only suggesting more minutes for Scola I'm not suggesting to trade West or to bench him.

Really though, I don't think it's a big deal. We are winning. Granted, it's been ugly lately, but the current formula is working. I think on the second night of back to backs the minutes should probably be split closer to 55/45 or even 50/50 to keep West fresh for the playoffs, but all in all I can't really complain too much.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Really though, I don't think it's a big deal. We are winning. Granted, it's been ugly lately, but the current formula is working. I think on the second night of back to backs the minutes should probably be split closer to 55/45 or even 50/50 to keep West fresh for the playoffs, but all in all I can't really complain too much.

I think that playing him too much yesterday when he was having a bad game almost cost us the game, not that saying that it was going to be reason number 1 but one of the reasons.

I think that Scola should play about 2 or so extra minutes per half, roughly 4-5 extra minutes per game.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think that playing him too much yesterday when he was having a bad game almost cost us the game, not that saying that it was going to be reason number 1 but one of the reasons.
    I think Scola is your dude and you are kind of sour on West which is driving a lot of this narrative.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Honestly, we are winning games, so it's not a huge deal. Scola should be getting around 18-20 minutes a game, but I imagine he'll get more PT down the stretch as it gets closer to the playoffs to keep West fresh.

Banned

I think Scola is your dude and you are kind of sour on West which is driving a lot of this narrative.
    No really I'm actually noticing that West looks tired as majorcold said and also why no give more playing time to Scola? the guy is getting as many minutes as Tyler Hansbrough think about it, that is crazy.

And also somebody that is shooting a high percentage like Scola should get more playing time he is like 60% in jumpers?

No really I'm actually noticing that West looks tired as majorcold said and also why no give more playing time to Scola? the guy is getting as many minutes as Tyler Hansbrough think about it, that is crazy.

And also somebody that is shooting a high percentage like Scola should get more playing time he is like 60% in jumpers?
    To be fair, he is basically just taking Tyler's role. The problem is you just can't put Scola and West out there together--the defense, as others have noted, is awful. So it kind of backs you into a corner with Scola's minutes. I would like to see him play more, but I trust Vogel to know what's best for the team.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

West needs to sit earlier in the 3rd quarter. He gets worn out quickly in the third and it has been a problem in our losses. I don't think it's a huge deal though.

To be fair, he is basically just taking Tyler's role. The problem is you just can't put Scola and West out there together--the defense, as others have noted, is awful. So it kind of backs you into a corner with Scola's minutes. I would like to see him play more, but I trust Vogel to know what's best for the team.
    I think we should give him a bit bigger of a role than Tyler. I think it's pretty clear that West gets a bit tired of times. It makes sense since he is 33 years old, has been in the league for 11 seasons, and played his a** off a year ago when we needed him to step up his offensive game with DG out. But now we have plenty of offensive options, as well as one of the best backup big men in the league in Scola. We need to take advantage of that just a little bit more so that West is well rested for another grueling playoff run. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I do think that Scola should get about 4-5 extra minutes per game.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

The best record in the league, why mess with a winning formula?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    The best record in the league, why mess with a winning formula?
    Why not sustain this formula for the playoffs? Either way is 2 more minutes going to hurt. If Scola doesn't play two more minutes and West doesn't rest two more minutes does it really matter.

It isn't the per game minutes that I am worried about. It is the total minutes.

Last years Spurs team total minutes played.

Last years Pacers

This years Spurs

This years Pacers

We have the bench. Use it.
    When we are up 15 with 2 minutes to play. Vogel play the bench.
    When our bench is clicking offensively and riding a streak. Vogel let it ride longer.
    When players like Tristan Thompson are tiring our starting power forward. Vogel give him some rest, we need him for the playoffs.

Its time to rest West for a game. If Danny stays out there for 12 minutes and he is still conditioning himself back, then Scola can too.

Granted Danny is closer to Lance than Scola is to West. But we are talking about keeping them fresh for the second season. A possible 16-28 game season with high intensity. No taking a half off basketball on both ends of basketball. If you think teams are bringing their best now.....just wait till the playoffs. And the coach, the team know this.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Banned

Granted Danny is closer to Lance than Scola is to West. .
    What? Lance is averaging 13, 6.5 and 5 while shooting .493% DG is at 8.9, 3.3 and 1 while shooting a whooping .359% not even close.

Now lets see your other claim, Dwest is averaging 12.6, 6.6 and 3.2 and his shooting % is at .466%, Scola is at 8.4, 5, .8 and is shooting .518%(second highest on the team?)

Note that I'm not even taking into consideration minutes played (21mpg for DG and 18 for Luis) I'm also not taking into consideration that Lance is probably going to be an all star this year.

(I have a feeling that you are just saying this to grind my gears I really hope you don't believe that )
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-06-2014 at 08:11 PM.