Thread: NFL's Super Bowl weather plan includes rescheduling game

Default NFL's Super Bowl weather plan includes rescheduling game

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...heduling-game/

NFL’s Super Bowl weather plan includes rescheduling game

As the prospect of a cold-weather Super Bowl becomes less abstract and more real, the league could find itself in a real bind if a major winter storm hits New York/New Jersey in early February.

And if on February 2 Parsippany Phil can’t see his shadow because he can’t get out of his burrow because it’s buried under two feet of snow, the league has a plan in place.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, the NFL is prepared to reschedule the game.

“[I]f it’s necessary due to matters of public safety or there are impracticalities, then rescheduling scenarios have to be considered,” executive V.P. of events Frank Supovitz said Wednesday. “Saturday would be as early as we would consider at this point. We have contingencies that take us into Monday and Tuesday.”

As a worst-case, last-ditch plan, the game would be shifted to the following weekend, which also happens to be the first weekend of the Olympics.

“There are postponement scenarios or rescheduling scenarios for 256 regular-season games each year. Same thing for Super Bowls since the beginning of Super Bowls. We’ve had those in place,” Supovitz said, via Myers. “The fact is we’ve been in cold weather cities before, we’ve been in situations where snow has fallen ahead of the Super Bowl.”

He’s right, but the Super Bowl always has been played in a dome when the Super Bowl has been played in cold-weather cities. For Super Bowl XLVIII, there’s a chance the same kind of storm that prompted the NFL in December 2010 to move a game between the Vikings and Eagles from Sunday night to Thursday night, prompting former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell to declare that America has become a “nation of wusses.”

That development prompted yours truly to ask the NFL if the blizzard from three years ago would prompt any second-guessing of the decision to play a Super Bowl in the elements in early 2014.

“No,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said at the time. “We are the ultimate reality show.”

Aiello said Thursday via email that the NFL will make any necessary decisions regarding Super Bowl XLVIII based on the circumstances that may arise.

Still, with hotel prices jacked up and ticket prices already exorbitant, delaying the date of a Super Bowl creates all sorts of inconveniences and expenses for folks who plan to attend. While a certain amount of “buyer beware” applies to anyone who buys tickets to any open-air event in a place where “four seasons” means something other than a musical group fronted by a small Italian man with a piercing falsetto, attending a Super Bowl entails an extreme investment of financial resources.

The mere possibility that weather could compel a rescheduling of the game suggests that maybe the game shouldn’t have been scheduled for a place where it may need to be rescheduled.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NFL's Super Bowl weather plan includes rescheduling game

I kinda hope that it blizzards like crazy so that they have to postpone it and then they'll realize what an incredibly stupid idea this was.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see what the big problem is. There have been plenty of Conference Championship games played in the likes of New England, Green Bay, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, etc, yet everyone acts like having the Super Bowl in New Jersey could be the end of the world.

I think this will be fun. It's smart for the NFL to have it in New Jersey because if there's snow, then the game will go down in history and give the NFL publicity. The weather won't be a determining factor since both teams play in the same weather.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-19-2013 at 02:32 PM.

It's not so much the game itself - it's everything that leads up to the game that's going to get screwed if the weather is bad. Being in the swamplands in the first place is going to make it a logistical nightmare - just add a Nor'easter and see what happens.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not so much the game itself - it's everything that leads up to the game that's going to get screwed if the weather is bad. Being in the swamplands in the first place is going to make it a logistical nightmare - just add a Nor'easter and see what happens.

What about the swamplands makes it a logistical nightmare? The Jets and Giants comfortably play their home games in the swamp and chose to stay there when they decided to build the new stadium. Getting Super Bowl spectators to the game won't be any more difficult than getting them to a G-Men vs. Cowboys game. Sure the weather could suck, but it sucked big time in Dallas and that's a city that is much further south. It could have sucked in Indy, but somehow it turned into a mild paradise. I like that we are opening up the Super Bowl to new markets as opposed to the same four city rotation. It's good for the NFL to have the world's biggest game in the world's biggest media empire.

The weather could make the game itself memorable, but both teams play in the same weather so it won't play a role in deciding the game.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-19-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    What about the swamplands makes it a logistical nightmare? The Jets and Giants comfortably play their home games in the swamp and chose to stay there when they decided to build the new stadium. Getting Super Bowl spectators to the game won't be any more difficult than getting them to a G-Men vs. Cowboys game. Sure the weather could suck, but it sucked big time in Dallas and that's a city that is much further south. It could have sucked in Indy, but somehow it turned into a mild paradise. I like that we are opening up the Super Bowl to new markets as opposed to the same four city rotation. It's good for the NFL to have the world's biggest game in the world's biggest media empire.

The weather could make the game itself memorable, but both teams play in the same weather so it won't play a role in deciding the game.

Because its unto an island its not like here or Detroit etc where you can walk to the stadium (and not get turned away) If there is a blizzard/ice storm on SB Sunday, getting to the stadium is going to be an absolute nightmare. There are only so many ways to get to Met Life Stadium from Manhattan, and all of them, including mass transit, are severely effected by bad weather.And if there is a bad storm, that stadium could very possible be half full or less at kick off.

Yes playoff games have been played in inclement weather but have any of them been rescheduled or opted to be rescheduled a month and a half in advance? No.

Yet this has the potential to happen. The fact that this was even a possibility should've been a clue to TIIC that maybe it wasn't a good idea to have the SB in NYC. I mean that alone is why places like Green Bay won't have an SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Because its unto an island its not like here or Detroit etc where you can walk to the stadium (and not get turned away) If there is a blizzard/ice storm on SB Sunday, getting to the stadium is going to be an absolute nightmare. There are only so many ways to get to Met Life Stadium from Manhattan, and all of them, including mass transit, are severely effected by bad weather.And if there is a bad storm, that stadium could very possible be half full or less at kick off.

Yes playoff games have been played in inclement weather but have any of them been rescheduled or opted to be rescheduled a month and a half in advance? No.

Yet this has the potential to happen. The fact that this was even a possibility should've been a clue to TIIC that maybe it wasn't a good idea to have the SB in NYC. I mean that alone is why places like Green Bay won't have an SB.

How many times has a blizzard prevented people from getting to a Conference Championship game? I seriously doubt that we have a weather event horrific enough to prevent people from getting to the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It amazes me how opposed people are to the SB in cold weather. I think people
    E are far to concerned about the weather. It would take a historic snow storm to really screw things up. NJ will have so many plow trucks and such ready to go at moments notice. They know what needs to be done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    E are far to concerned about the weather. It would take a historic snow storm to really screw things up. NJ will have so many plow trucks and such ready to go at moments notice. They know what needs to be done.

Exactly, and I don't envision a scenario in which a storm causes the stadium to be half full. People will walk there as if it's The Day After Tomorrow if they have to.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I think the issue for people is that the NFL will reschedule when its convenient for them due to potential inclement weather. Nevermind the inconvenience for other people when it was something that could've been prevented by not having in in NYC in early February to begin with.

That's a risk people take when they buy their tickets. They know that. They are taking that risk. Don't want to? Dont buy tickets.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want games determined by the players on the field, not the weather conditions. I love dome games, JMHO.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Its football for crying out loud.

A couple of points that might've been overlooked...
    AFC and NFC games are played where someone has worked themselves into having HFA. So if you are a fast, finesse team and you find yourself in Green Bay for the NFC Championship playing in a snowstorm then you need to think back to the games you lost that kept you from playing that game in your nice, cozy dome, or near your ocean breeze.

So, while it's true both teams have to play in the same conditions, it very well could be one team will gain an advantage with those conditions or another team will be severely hampered by them. I'd much rather be a running team in a snow storm than a passing team counting on scoring early and often as my team philosophy.

But that all goes out the window for the SB. It doesn't matter what you did all season for HFA.... the SB isn't played on anyone's home field (well, it could be but the odds say it won't be and even if it does happen it's a quirk of fate more than something you can count on).

When the game is played indoors or in warm, tame, weather it doesn't necessarily hurt a running team per se'. And it's what a passing team is used to.

So if this super bowl sees snow and cold and gets two passing teams... then it's pretty much equal. If it's snow and cold and they get two running teams it's pretty much equal... but if it's snow and cold and it's got only one passing team, then someone just got a huge disadvantage put on them. Even if they could've gotten there 16-0 they would've had no control/say in having to play in the snow.

If you're a team like the Broncos in win now mode with a QB whose play clock is ticking down then having to play in a snowstorm (or even just cold and blustery) is going to be a severe disadvantage. You can't just say "Aww shucks... well... wait'll next year". You never know when Manning's problem will flare back up, his game decline, or at his age he'll decide to retire for whatever reason. So that is one very real example of how saying it's the same for both teams isn't exactly accurate. Especially if the other team has a game that isn't predicated on the QB's arm and they have another gear they can or do use often.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Manning plays outside in a stadium a mile about sea level. If Denver can't win the SB I'm snow, maybe they shouldn't win HFA so they don't have to worry about snow there either.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I actually think its best Denver doesn't get HFA I mean its vastly overrated for most teams. Means nothing if you can't defend it.

I actually think its best Denver doesn't get HFA I mean its vastly overrated for most teams. Means nothing if you can't defend it.
    It's not overrated. It's a good thing to have. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's always better to play at home than on the road. The Colts would have never beat the Pats in the playoffs without home field.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's not overrated. It's a good thing to have. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's always better to play at home than on the road. The Colts would have never beat the Pats in the playoffs without home field.
    We didn't have HFA at least in the conference was my point. And we won the SB without having a bye week. In the NFC except for the Saints it has been worthless. 2007 Cowboys, 2008 Giants, 2010 Falcons, 2011 Packers.

AFC has sometimes worked out like the 2011 Patriots and 2009 Colts but other times not so much.

In the playoffs everyone is 0-0. The thing is I think Denver would've had a better shot of beating the Ravens in Baltimore than in Denver last year.

We didn't have HFA at least in the conference was my point. And we won the SB without having a bye week. In the NFC except for the Saints it has been worthless. 2007 Cowboys, 2008 Giants, 2010 Falcons, 2011 Packers.

AFC has sometimes worked out like the 2011 Patriots and 2009 Colts but other times not so much.

In the playoffs everyone is 0-0. The thing is I think Denver would've had a better shot of beating the Ravens in Baltimore than in Denver last year.
    Number 1 seeds who went to the Super Bowl from 1998-2012 (15 seasons)

98 Broncos, 99 Rams, 00 Giants, 01 Rams, 02 Raiders, 03 Patriots, 04 Eagles, 05 Seahawks, 06 Bears, 07 Patriots, 09 Colts, 09 Saints, 11 Patriots

So over a 15 year period, 13 of the 30 Number 1 seeds made the Super Bowl (43.3%). I really like those odds. 6 teams make the playoffs in each conference, yet 15 years worth of history tells us that a 1 seed has over 40% chance of getting to the Super Bowl. Nothing is guaranteed because this is the NFL and great teams can win on the road, but it's pretty clear that having the 1 seed gives you a good advantage. Sure, there are always going to be teams like the 05 Steelers, 07 Giants, and 10 Packers that win all road games to get the Super Bowl, but give me home field advantage any day.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: