Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 90 of 90

Thread: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

  1. #76
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,408

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once again though, why is it fair for a call at the end of the game to be more carefully called then a call in the second quarter. Simple: It isn't.
    Its absolutely fair because after the fact there is nothing more than could happen to decide the outcome. The last shot is the last shot. You are letting perfect be the enemy of good. Its not a perfect solution and it doesn't aim to be, it only ensures that the final shot in a close game is fair for both teams.

    Your point here is entirely irrelevant because the league already scrutinizes certain calls in the game via official review inside 2 minutes. This is just expanding on that. The league has already confirmed that calls in the final 2 minutes are important enough to review in certain situations. The last shot should be one of those. It protects the integrity of the game.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  3. #77
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From a purely logical and analytically based standpoint? It isn't.

    In real life? Because it has the power to immediately and irrevocably change the winner of a game.
    I see where you're coming from I just disagree. I already think there is too much replay in basketball, I don't want more.
    @qandrews9428

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:


  5. #78
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its absolutely fair because after the fact there is nothing more than could happen to decide the outcome. The last shot is the last shot. You are letting perfect be the enemy of good. Its not a perfect solution and it doesn't aim to be, it only ensures that the final shot in a close game is fair for both teams.

    Your point here is entirely irrelevant because the league already scrutinizes certain calls in the game via official review inside 2 minutes. This is just expanding on that. The league has already confirmed that calls in the final 2 minutes are important enough to review in certain situations. The last shot should be one of those. It protects the integrity of the game.

    What about my counter example though?

    A team is fouled on one end, but its not the last possession. They're penalized because they aren't taking the last shot of the game?
    @qandrews9428

  6. #79
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    I wasn't as mad as most of you all are at the call. My initial reaction was that Lebron fouled Paul before he began shooting. Since we were in the bonus, he would have only gotten two free throws, and wouldn't have affected the outcome. What I am more angry about is that there was no foul called at all. I don't care about "letting the players decide the game" because Lebron decided to foul Paul and put him at the line. Unfortunately, it wasn't called.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  7. #80
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,408

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about my counter example though?

    A team is fouled on one end, but its not the last possession. They're penalized because they aren't taking the last shot of the game?
    Doesn't matter, there is still opportunity to get a steal on the other end. Just because you got fouled on the 2nd to last play does not mean the game is over. THere is still a chance to impact the outcome of the game via a basketball play.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  8. #81
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,408

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't as mad as most of you all are at the call. My initial reaction was that Lebron fouled Paul before he began shooting. Since we were in the bonus, he would have only gotten two free throws, and wouldn't have affected the outcome. What I am more angry about is that there was no foul called at all. I don't care about "letting the players decide the game" because Lebron decided to foul Paul and put him at the line. Unfortunately, it wasn't called.
    In this instance PG could intentionally miss the 2nd free throw and give our guys a chance to rebound for the put back and tie the game. So either way the foul should have been called.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  10. #82
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't matter, there is still opportunity to get a steal on the other end. Just because you got fouled on the 2nd to last play does not mean the game is over. THere is still a chance to impact the outcome of the game via a basketball play.
    See this makes no sense to me.
    @qandrews9428

  11. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,005

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once again though, why is it fair for a call at the end of the game to be more carefully called then a call in the second quarter. Simple: It isn't.
    Because while theoretically end of game plays are not supposed to be more important, the fact is they are. End of game plays are more significant because there are no subsequent plays following them. Doesn't mean other plays aren't meaningful, just not as meaningful. In a 500 lap race which lap is the most important? The first lap or the last lap? The last lap, in fact as long as you do not wreck, the first lap is pretty close to meaningless. Basketball is not much different.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  13. #84

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Paul should have flopped to the floor immediately after releasing the ball, I guess. It still wouldn't have been called, but it would have been (even) more obviously a bad no-call.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  15. #85
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,522
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    On ESPN, Dr. J says it was an obvious foul on the PG 3pt shot, pushed him to the right, plus had both hands on him, and he fouled him before he got the ball also. I'll go with the dude's opinion that has as much integrity as anyone that has ever played the game.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  17. #86
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only thing that I have learned from all this is that PG24 is not at the point in his career where he gets the benefit of the doubt or the close "Superstar" attention when it comes to calls like that from the Refs. I guarantee you that LeDecision would have gotten that foul call.

    This is one of those times where I can legitimately say that the Refs screwed up.
    I don't know about that. That foul PG got on that 3 at the end of the game in New York earlier this year was pretty weak. I'd call that one a superstar call. Shumpert made significantly less contact on that play than LeBron did on this one. I think it just comes down to the fact that it was golden boy LeBron guarding PG and so the refs chose not to call it a foul. Had Wade, Allen, Lewis, or Battier made the same contact I think it would have been whistled for sure. PG just suffered from the unfortunate circumstance that a bigger superstar was guarding him on that play and the "superstar" call went to the bigger superstar.

  18. #87
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,856

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?


  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  20. #88
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,424
    Mood

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    I think it is appropriate to be critical when there were 5 or 6 questionable calls all going against the same team. PG should have been shooting free throws. I hate it when superstars get calls for no real reason. There was an instance where there was someone's foot was clearly out of bounds when he had the ball. The referee was staring right at it but did not make the call. Also after watching the game a second time my opinion was that 3 of Roy's fould calls were questionable at best.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:


  22. #89

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    In the gif above look at David West's reaction after the PG shot. Did he throw up his hands in disgust because no foul call was made or because PG did not pass him the ball for the wide open last second shot?

    His body language after the miss makes me wonder what he was thinking.

  23. #90
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,326

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: When is it OK for fans to be critical of end-game officiating?

    Whenever they want. Long as they let it go someday. Unless you're a Suns fan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •