Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: George Hill problem ?

Default Re: George Hill problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    20-5 guys, 20-5.

Is Hill the worst of our 5 starters? Yes. Do we probably have the best starting 5 in the NBA? Yes, certainly top two.

so what is the problem? Nothing.
    This sort of ties in with my feelings on Hill. I don't blame him for being who he is, but I will criticize the team if/when I feel they try to have him do things he's not capable of doing. He's not really a point guard, so don't expect him to play like one! He's a combo guard playing at the 1 because that's just how we've elected to roll. That has obvious weaknesses like tonight, but on the flip side it also has its advantages, which is why it's being done this way. The team just needs to do a better job of using the pieces correctly and not putting Hill in a position to fail.

Now, that doesn't mean Hill is blameless, either, but in cases like tonight I feel like it's at least as much coaching as it is Hill with regards to what he was or wasn't doing out there. Against Miami, you have to treat Hill like a shooting guard and let Lance/Paul/David handle the ball.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    6-4 in our last ten and 2-3 over our last five.
    And with the context of who those teams were, I think most of us would agree that isn't nearly as bad as it sounds.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

6-4 in our last ten and 2-3 over our last five.
    Better blow it up then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    You are saying alot without saying anything. He wasn't trading a player he thought was useless. They were trading a position they were set at for a need. Its not rocket science. Teams do it all the time. Hell we did it when we traded Leonard.

And yeah a 2 to 1 assist to ratio is damn good against one of the best defenses in the league. On a team that is reliant on ball movement from everybody to get their shots.

No matter how many times you say Hill is bad, it doesn't become evidence to that fact. Break down his game or mention some stats otherwise you are just being a hater
    He traded a backup guard for one of the better up and coming two way players in the league. A guy who plays hard all the time and has a chance to be an all star in this league.

This team would be darn near unstoppable with Kawhi Leonard. Trades like this are why the Spurs are the Spurs and the Pacers are at best close but no cigar.
    Who is the point guard in this scenario?

Also in order to get a better point guard than Hill either you have to get one that is still on their rookie contract or someone who makes more money than Hill. Plus who are we going to give up to get such a player? WE don't have anyone to give up. I suppose the debate would be about who is better than Hill for our team

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who is the point guard in this scenario?
    Lance. I know at the time Granger was healthy and Lance was an unknown so the Hill trade made more sense back then. The real problem is the $40 million contract that PrtichWalsh gave him in Bird's absence.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    He traded a backup guard for one of the better up and coming two way players in the league. A guy who plays hard all the time and has a chance to be an all star in this league.
    Hindsight is 20/20

Besides their is no guarantee that Leonard would have become that here.

He wouldn't have gotten playing time his rookie year.

Last year it would have meant losing out on Lances development to develop him. So we very easily could have been left with no staring caliber PG. And no Lance Stephenson. All in the hope that with one less year of real playing time Leonard would be the same player for us as he is for Pop. One of the best developer of talents in modern NBA history.

Best we can hope for is that Granger really returns to form and blends in nicely, then you legitimately finish games with Lance, PG, Granger, West & Hibbert. I don't mind George Hill starting, but I think I want Granger in for him in my crunch time unit. Granger has his faults, but he isn't timid on offense.

Hill is an enigma at this point, The "awe Shucks" comment about sums it up.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

The worst part about Hill is that he's demonstrated the ability to be the right "pg" for our team and our offense. He's just lacked so much confidence this year...it's almost weird.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Lance. I know at the time Granger was healthy and Lance was an unknown so the Hill trade made more sense back then. The real problem is the $40 million contract that PrtichWalsh gave him in Bird's absence.
    That might work in the future, but for the last 3 seasons... eh, I think it would make things worse. The ability is there for Lance to do that IMO, at least at minimum he has what it takes as much as George Hill has what it takes in that regard (they're both multi-position players to me rather than just plain ol' point guards), but I don't think the maturity or consistency has been there. But it's getting close now. I wouldn't be completely shocked if we traded Hill this summer.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

We don't even know how good Leonard REALLY is right now. Everyone looks good in the spurs system. And right now he is the 3rd maybe 4th option most nights. Yes he's a nice, young, developing player right now, but he's also a guy that's averaging about 11 and 6...not really all star type of numbers.

Hindsight 20/20 I bet Bird makes that trade again no problem. There was no guarantee that Lance could play PG (or at all really).

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Best we can hope for is that Granger really returns to form and blends in nicely, then you legitimately finish games with Lance, PG, Granger, West & Hibbert. I don't mind George Hill starting, but I think I want Granger in for him in my crunch time unit. Granger has his faults, but he isn't timid on offense.

Hill is an enigma at this point, The "awe Shucks" comment about sums it up.
    Admittedly, I still am intrigued by that 5-man unit down the strength, IF they can prove they're no worse when it comes to ball handling/turnovers than how it is with Hill in there late.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The worst part about Hill is that he's demonstrated the ability to be the right "pg" for our team and our offense. He's just lacked so much confidence this year...it's almost weird.
    Yeah I don't get it, he makes me so mad when he doesn't take the open 3, his passing has been pretty bad this year too.

Imo, I would look at a Stephenson, Granger, George, West, Hibbert line-up with Hill off the bench, Hill has always been good in the 6th man role.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

As sad as this thread is, I can't help but smile. I have always said Hill was overpaid by 2-3 mil per year and he should be coming off the bench competing for 6th man award.

He has never played good defense against speedy guards, even DC was bailing him out at times and that's pretty bad. He has never had a passing game. Even tho I'd like to see him drive more, it scares the crap out of me cause he is somewhat on the frail side. He is prolly our best shooter but its like we see it on his terms all to often. But with all this said, I don't see an alternative at this point except a trade and only the team and coaches know what kind of negative impact it would make.

I guess my dream scenario would be, trade Hill, Copeland, 2016 1st rnd, 2014 & 2015 2nd rnd picks for Rondo after Rondo starts playing in Jan. and shows he's healthy. But this would make it tough to get Lance signed and stay within luxury tax.

I don't have complete faith in Lance to just hand him the keys in a mental aspect. I don't question his ability at all, just his mental control.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Like I said last year though, I really hope we make Lance Stephenson the point guard of our future

On the bright side though... Can't wait to see Danny back friday!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Also in order to get a better point guard than Hill either you have to get one that is still on their rookie contract or someone who makes more money than Hill. Plus who are we going to give up to get such a player? WE don't have anyone to give up. I suppose the debate would be about who is better than Hill for our team
    People always like to think that the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" but don't realize that there is no way for Bird to get to the other side of that fence.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    People always like to think that the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" but don't realize that there is no way for Bird to get to the other side of that fence.
    That's BS, Larry can get that green grass. Hell he got Scola for Gerald freakin Green and Miles freakin Plumlee, what the hell you talkin about...

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Well from my view I don't think Larry needs to go get a new PG, I think Stephenson can handle the roll fine. Hell, we don't even need to bench Hill, just let Lance run the offense, and give Paul George his usual point-forward time

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Well from my view I don't think Larry needs to go get a new PG, I think Stephenson can handle the roll fine. Hell, we don't even need to bench Hill, just let Lance run the offense, and give Paul George his usual point-forward time
    How many turnovers did Paul have the last 2 games where those teams gave a shiot and played defense?

it'd make a lot more sense if Hill actually played like a floor general point. that's not a knock on Hill or anything, it's a knock on people that apparently don't pay attention. Hill plays just as much off guard as he handles the balls and initiates sets.

we don't have a point guard. and we're 20-5, so I'm cool with that. but by all means, keep pretending George Hill lost this game for us, keep scapegoating. we were up 15 on the 2 time defending champs on their floor and lost. can't be on Roy, who makes the max, playing like crap, MUST BE HILL, the dude with one TO that wasn't even his fault!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Just one other thing on this matter. Our problem isn't our personnel. But rather how we are using our personnel. The fact that OJ was still getting playing time on Monday is evidence that we aren't fully utilizing our talent. IE Butler.

That combined with Mahinmi taking long jumpers and Watson appearing to have free range to go out their gunning. Watson was 1-6 and I think like 4 of those shots I was wondering why the hell he was shooting. Watson took twice as many shots as Roy in 5 fewer minutes. After what Roy did to the heat last game that is beyond stupid.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    it'd make a lot more sense if Hill actually played like a floor general point. that's not a knock on Hill or anything, it's a knock on people that apparently don't pay attention. Hill plays just as much off guard as he handles the balls and initiates sets.

we don't have a point guard. and we're 20-5, so I'm cool with that. but by all means, keep pretending George Hill lost this game for us, keep scapegoating. we were up 15 on the 2 time defending champs on their floor and lost. can't be on Roy, who makes the max, playing like crap, MUST BE HILL, the dude with one TO that wasn't even his fault!
    Totally agree, Hill didn't lose the game, he just didn't do much to help win it. Atleast Roy tried and his name appeared for something.