Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: George Hill problem ?

Default Re: George Hill problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stephenson at PG would backfire horribly. He's a SG that can pass, not the other way around.

Stephenson doesn't initiate offense. He attacks. That's fine when you're asking him to score, but not if you want to get hibbert, west and George involved.
    I don't know about that. You may be right, but I'm not asking for him to play PG full time anyway. Just dribble the ball up the court and start a set or throw it into the paint. Things he can easily do.

But then again, I have higher expectations and belief in Lance's abilities than most at PD.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I haven't read all of this thread, but frankly it must be a damn miracle we are 20-5 with such a schlub at point guard. It is amazing we ever thought he was a competent player, I mean only Greg Poppovich loved him and that guy hasn't done a damn thing in like 6 years!
    Im more amazed we've gotten this far with how our back up center is playing

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Our only other option is to watch Paul and Hill struggle to get us into any kind of offense when the pressure is turned up. That hasn't worked out so well in the past.

I think we play right into their hands allowing Wade and James to play off the ball while their PGs harass Hill.
    Thats not the problem. If anything Lance is part of Hills problem. Hes to passive without the ball. Hill cant pass it if nobody is trying to get open and its unrealistic to think george should be the one getting open.

George Hill will have an excellent game tonight. Be ready. He had to deal with CP3, Tony Parker, Westbrook, Lillard and it simply kicked his tail. Brandon Jennings is averaging 17.5ppg and 8 dimes and isn't chopped liver. At Miami...at times he had to deal with DWade...and Chalmers is a tough PG. Go easy on him. He'll be back. It was a very tough stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I don't know about that. You may be right, but I'm not asking for him to play PG full time anyway. Just dribble the ball up the court and start a set or throw it into the paint. Things he can easily do.

But then again, I have higher expectations and belief in Lance's abilities than most at PD.
    Just about any nba guard can physically do that. The problem is most aren't mentally comfortable with it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Hill's problem is too many good players on one team, and unrealistically high expectations. The reality is we have too many good players for the majority to even get close to their statistical potential. Hill could be shooting better, but sometimes players have bad shooting seasons. It happens, I'm not going to go all crazy about it when it is his first season since his rookie year that he has shot under 44%. As far as defense goes, everyone always likes to claim that we are in the age of the PG, and that there are far more talent at PG than any other position by far, if this is all true it shouldn't be surprising when that talent is able to play well. Unless you are getting one of the top 2 or 3 starting worthy defensive PGs in the league you won't be finding someone who can play better defense.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You made this bed when you re-signed him for $40 million. He's your PG this year and in the future. He isn't bad for what he's being asked to do, but buyer's remorse is out of the question. There's no flexibility to acquire a replacement.
    There's always room for some creative trades.
    How do You like Goran Dragic?

I posted something on the trade board.
    Not sure I like it myself but:

We solve this "issue",
    get a better passer,
    a better scorer,
    and save money both this year and for the future.

You assume the Suns would take George Hill (who as you said makes 500K more and they don't really have a need for), and Dragic really isn't a very good defender.

This isn't an awful idea, but if Goran Dragic is your baseline trade value for Hill, you're probably better off sticking with what you have.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dudes Hill had a great game last night. I agree with Kstat. He is here today and the rest of the season. If an upgrade is warranted be ready to lose Lance or West. And have a **** poor bench.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

As long as George Hill plays aggressively on offense and makes the other PG work defensively he is adequate. It is when he sticks his head in his shell that he becomes a liability and detriment to this team.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This thread

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I personally think that Hill is struggling a fair bit establishing a new identity for himself given that Stephenson (and PG for that matter) are handling the ball a lot more during most offensive possessions.

He has shown bursts of aggression. I think he'll rebound from this, and soon people will be hailing him as the hero.
    Did you all see this quote?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...acers/4154287/

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill, from last night
    "I feel like the team rolls when I'm actually being aggressive, and when I'm not aggressive, I think we struggle," Hill said after considering the question. "Just taking that as a side note for me (to) start being aggressive and being the G. Hill that got me here and that's what I've got to hold myself accountable for."

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

George Hill fan here. But really? "Start being aggressive"? That easy for him to say just AFTER he faced CP3, Westbrook, Rose, Parker and Lillard.

Just about any nba guard can physically do that. The problem is most aren't mentally comfortable with it.
    Physically do it against most teams, Yes. Against Miami it becomes a much tougher job. Since Lance is the best ball handler we've got, Coach may want to rethink his stance on Lance at PG, at least against Miami. I noticed last night Lance seemed be running more of what I'd call PG. Usually when Lance gets it from one of our bigs he throws it straight to Hill, but last night he seemed to be walking it up and initiating more offense in the half court. I'm hoping were slowly starting to give him some more responsibilities, easing him into a more prominent role. It would benefit the team greatly come playoff time IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Love to see this from G. Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post

Quick story: when Nash left the Suns I was REALLY hoping he'd come here.
    First point of disagreement. I was hoping he would not be here. You could already see he was at the end of his road, and the Pacers were just beginning down their road.

The truth is there are really only 3-4 starting caliber PG's like that left in the league now.
    I don't know about "strictly" pass first, but their are a number of PG's in the league that are very capable passers. Off the top of my head I can think of C. Paul, Irving, Rose, Rubio, Williams (multiple players with that name), Wall, Parker, etc.

Our system requires good defense from all 5 positions so its time to face the music....A combo guard who has length and athleticism, plays good defense, takes care of the ball, and can hit the occasional jumpshot is exactly what this team needs, that's George Hill.
    To me, Hill also struggles defensively. How many other teams guards can he keep up with. Time after time, game after game we see him getting beat defensively.

Yes, once in a while he comes up with a very good game. But, he still drives me nuts when he does his Travis Best impression dribbling away the shot clock.

Mood

Are you kidding? GH is a very good PG and adds scoring. If he was so awful imagine what our record would be with another guard? Oh yeah, not 23-5. I hate it when people try to nitpick players to find as many faults that they can in other players. To me personally, my favorite thing about GH is his heart. You can see that he is a team player because he is looking to pass or set up someone in a match-up that gives them an advantage. He's not a big guy but he can hang with most PG's in the league.

If Stephenson is our PG, he will have a lot of assists, but our pace would be awful. Turnovers, bad shots, all would go up. I love Lance, but he is very attack-minded when it's not always the best thing to do. That's why he works so well at SG. He can initiate the fast break or a fast-paced offense from time to time to keep the defense honest, but we still have Hill for when we need a slow pace.

Hill's defense is very good. He struggles sometimes, like every other player ever, but look at what the Nets point guards did last night. Nothing.

If every other player had as short of a leash from the fans as Hill, people would be wanting to trade Hibbert after the Rockets game and the Nets game. People would be shipping him off for Robin Lopez and a 2015 first rounder.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I know some of you are already tired of seeing so much red in these threads, but my goodness, it's going to keep happening if so many people are going to litter them with condescending remarks and namecalling. CLEAN IT UP. You can give an opinion without that stuff!
    Outta here, Nancy boy. Gotta hike up yer kilt before entering this verbal bar fight.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Personally, I think he needs to play off the ball more.
    How much more off the ball do you want him to play? I mean, seriously the guy rarely touches the ball.

Here, take a look at that -> http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/IND/2014.html

Look at our player's usage a bit. George Hill is 8th. Scola, Granger and Copeland get more plays called for them when they're on the floor than Hill. His usage at 16.9% is extremely low. Even Mario Chalmers get more plays called for him -> http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...ageRate/page/2

Same story with CJ Watson who is the only Pacer that sees rotational minutes and a has a lower USG% than Hill. Our PGs do not get plays called for them. It's as simple as that. The only thing that we ask out of them is to defend and hit the 3. Thankfully, George Hill is very good at those things and CJ Watson is quite good at those things as well.

Our offense is simply not designed around PGs. We just need them to share ball-handling duties, compliment our bigs and wings with outside shooting and defend the point of attack.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    To me, Hill also struggles defensively. How many other teams guards can he keep up with. Time after time, game after game we see him getting beat defensively.
    Let's see if this is true.

Deron Williams shot 3/9 last night against the Pacers. How did Deron do against us back in November? He shot 7/14.

Let's take a look at other top PGs.

Jrue Holiday shot 8/18.

Kyrie Irving shot 6/17.

Mike Conley shot 4/11.

Ricky Rubio shot 3/9.

Kemba Walker shot 3/17 in November and 5/14 in December.

John Wall shot 4/14.

Chris Paul shot 6/15.

Damian Lillard shot 7/17.

Tony Parker shot 6/14.

Brandon Jennings shot 6/20 in November and 4/13 in December.

The only big name PG that was able to shoot good against us? Russell Westbrook. He shot 11/17 when we lost to OKC.

Several people will say that Hibbert played a big role in those PGs shooting bad and that would be true. But if you think that Hill doesn't play a big part at this then you're fooling yourselves.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    How much more off the ball do you want him to play? I mean, seriously the guy rarely touches the ball.

His usage at 16.9% is extremely low. Even Mario Chalmers get more plays called for him -> http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...ageRate/page/2
    I'm not sure what you're arguing there. Who is saying he shoots too much and has too many plays called for him? My statement is that I think he needs to play off the ball more. To expand on that, it seems to me that he would be effective running screens and spotting up more often with another ballhandler on the court to spell him from his primary duties. That doesn't mean reduce his role, it means expand it.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I'm not sure what you're arguing there. Who is saying he shoots too much and has too many plays called for him? My statement is that I think he needs to play off the ball more. To expand on that, it seems to me that he would be effective running screens and spotting up more often with another ballhandler on the court to spell him from his primary duties. That doesn't mean reduce his role, it means expand it.
    I'm just saying that this is what this team already does. Most of George Hill's plays come from spotting up and the ball is mainly in Paul's and Lance's hands.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sooooooo....
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post: