Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 174

Thread: George Hill problem ?

  1. #101
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    I'll worry about Hill if this same stuff happens when the rest of the offense is moving without the ball.

    Until then, I'm more concerned with the team offense than I am about a PG who can't single-handedly overcome it. In some ways, I think "bad Lance" comes when he tries to overcome the motionless offense all by his lonesome - it's where the "hero Lance" moments come from as well.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  3. #102
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    385
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Paul problem?
    Agreed. The only Paul George problem is him being 23 years old and inconsistent. That will take care of itself. I still consider him somewhat raw. The fact that he is turning into what he is is amazing. I can't wait to see him at 25.

  4. #103
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. The only Paul George problem is him being 23 years old and inconsistent. That will take care of itself. I still consider him somewhat raw. The fact that he is turning into what he is is amazing. I can't wait to see him at 25.
    I think a bigger issue is him getting used to all the defensive attention by way of double teams that he is now receiving

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  6. #104
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    385
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    I might as well get my thoughts on George Hill out there too, since I don't post much any more. George Hill isn't a problem. The way he is being used is. Hill would absolutely thrive off the bench at 2 guard, to the point where I think people would even have to shut up about his contract. Jason Terry in his prime, if you will.

    If you could move Lance to the 1 and he could keep his cool, and if Granger proves serviceable and able to take the 3 back over, you would literally have a big 6. And that is on both sides of the ball. Mix that with shaving 5 TO off a game, and the BnG would be virtually unbeatable. Opposing players would 9 times out of 10 not even be funneled to Hibs, because they wouldn't get around their man.

    As always, just my opinion.

  7. #105
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    We can win a championship with Hill starting at the 1. That is all I need to know.

    He sure isn't amazing, nor a superstar, but he is solid.

  8. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    OK so I was listening to NBA people all morning and they all came up with the same conclusion that George Hill is the weakest link, they mention him playing 30 minutes and only scoring 7 points with 1 assist, again I'm going to point out that I'm huge Hill fan but I'm not going to lie I agree with what this guys are saying.


    George Karl said this morning that when Hill is aggressive the Pacers can beat anybody but when he is not the Pacers are in trouble.

  9. #107
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,319

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    I like Hill, but he's so passive. When Hill is aggressive, I think we can all agree this team is better and more unstoppable. But that's like 1 out of every 10 games.

    Really wish Hill would be more aggressive. I guess he really hates being a pg.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  11. #108
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK so I was listening to NBA people all morning and they all came up with the same conclusion that George Hill is the weakest link, they mention him playing 30 minutes and only scoring 7 points with 1 assist, again I'm going to point out that I'm huge Hill fan but I'm not going to lie I agree with what this guys are saying.


    George Karl said this morning that when Hill is aggressive the Pacers can beat anybody but when he is not the Pacers are in trouble.
    I don't think there's any question that GHill is the weakest link in the starting 5. But SOMEONE is going to be the weakest link on the starting 5, so that kind of begs the question. The concern should be how easy is it for teams to exploit that link and, conversely, how easy is it for the Pacers to adjust their offense to protect that link? In my opinion, by not moving without the ball or helping to open passing lanes, the Pacers as a team aren't doing what they could to make the situation less harmful.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  12. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there's any question that GHill is the weakest link in the starting 5. But SOMEONE is going to be the weakest link on the starting 5, so that kind of begs the question. The concern should be how easy is it for teams to exploit that link and, conversely, how easy is it for the Pacers to adjust their offense to protect that link? In my opinion, by not moving without the ball or helping to open passing lanes, the Pacers as a team aren't doing what they could to make the situation less harmful.

    I kind of agree with what you are saying but the thing is that Hill is so limited with his passing ability that even if they move without the ball there is a chance he doesn't see the play until is too late, I have seen this happening over and over again.

    I think the best thing for him to do is to be aggressive and take it to whoever is guarding him, lets see if games like this get him to wake up.

  13. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. The only Paul George problem is him being 23 years old and inconsistent. That will take care of itself. I still consider him somewhat raw. The fact that he is turning into what he is is amazing. I can't wait to see him at 25.
    Exactly!

  14. #111
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there's any question that GHill is the weakest link in the starting 5. But SOMEONE is going to be the weakest link on the starting 5, so that kind of begs the question. The concern should be how easy is it for teams to exploit that link and, conversely, how easy is it for the Pacers to adjust their offense to protect that link? In my opinion, by not moving without the ball or helping to open passing lanes, the Pacers as a team aren't doing what they could to make the situation less harmful.
    I disagree with Hill being the weakest link, unless by weakest you just mean least exciting. The weakest link is Lance. He still allows his emotions to control him making him the easiest to be taken out of the game. The next weakest link is Paul George's decision making. Usually when he makes a turnover it is because of a bad decision. Either he is slow to make a decision or he just makes the wrong decision. Only after that we can start to talk about Hill being a weak link.

  15. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with Hill being the weakest link, unless by weakest you just mean least exciting. The weakest link is Lance. He still allows his emotions to control him making him the easiest to be taken out of the game. The next weakest link is Paul George's decision making. Usually when he makes a turnover it is because of a bad decision. Either he is slow to make a decision or he just makes the wrong decision. Only after that we can start to talk about Hill being a weak link.
    I think you have a different definition of what a "weakest link" means.

  16. #113

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ............... if Granger proves serviceable and able to take the 3 back over........
    Who ?? Granger ??? Oh - the guy that hasn't played in eons. Yeah - build a scheme that involves him. And while you're at it, move PG out of the spot he's been pretty good at for how long ?? Ah - as long as Granger hasn't played.

    Come on man ..............

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  18. #114

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This sort of ties in with my feelings on Hill. I don't blame him for being who he is, but I will criticize the team if/when I feel they try to have him do things he's not capable of doing. He's not really a point guard, so don't expect him to play like one! He's a combo guard playing at the 1 because that's just how we've elected to roll. That has obvious weaknesses like tonight, but on the flip side it also has its advantages, which is why it's being done this way. The team just needs to do a better job of using the pieces correctly and not putting Hill in a position to fail.

    Now, that doesn't mean Hill is blameless, either, but in cases like tonight I feel like it's at least as much coaching as it is Hill with regards to what he was or wasn't doing out there. Against Miami, you have to treat Hill like a shooting guard and let Lance/Paul/David handle the ball.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Outside of his connection with Scola, Lance has done a pretty bad job running point with the second unit.

    Almost all of Lance's good play has been as a playmaker (not a point) in the starting lineup.
    I disagree. He hasn't been great, but he's done an OK job getting guys shots in the second unit. He's not even the PG full time anyway.

    And for the first unit... How do you decide he's not making plays as a point guard? He's in pick and roll situations quite often, and when he is he makes plays. How's he not a PG in those situations?

  19. #115
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,332

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    A lot of the Hill ragging reminds me of Roy last year when he couldn't drop a shot into the ocean if he tried.

    I wonder if George is playing with an injury that is bothering him more than he is letting on.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  21. #116
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    I'm just disappointed how Hill has played in crunch time lately. He has been much better in the past, not long ago he was the guy you wanted with the ball late.

    I like Hill, but he must play better, It'd be hard for anyone to disagree with that.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  23. #117

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, does this get to be the 2013 - 2014 Kneejerk Reaction thread?
    It's been a quarter of the season and his uselessness against Miami goes way back...it's a bit of a stretch to label this as a 'Kneejerk'
    On the Lance bandwagon

  24. #118
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with Hill being the weakest link, unless by weakest you just mean least exciting. The weakest link is Lance. He still allows his emotions to control him making him the easiest to be taken out of the game. The next weakest link is Paul George's decision making. Usually when he makes a turnover it is because of a bad decision. Either he is slow to make a decision or he just makes the wrong decision. Only after that we can start to talk about Hill being a weak link.
    Your point is well taken, but I disagree. Each of those other players has weak spots, but I think their overall play contains positives that overwhelm the weak spots. GHill isn't horrible but he doesn't have a tremendous positive in any capacity, either. To me, that means if you are talking about the player who is the weakest on the starting 5, it is GHill - beating out Lance because Lance spends much more time in control than out of it, even though the specific instance of Lance being "bad Lance" is worse than GHill's worst plays.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  25. #119
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Always gotta have a scapegoat, even when you are off to your best start in history...

    Quick story: when Nash left the Suns I was REALLY hoping he'd come here. I was sure that Nash was the final piece we needed to become a contender. Keep in mind that this was before he was totally-broken-down-crippled Nash. Someone here, I forget who, pointed out that you don't need a traditional PG like that to win a championship. In fact you really have to go back to the early 90's to find championship teams with a traditional-style PG. Rondo (1 ring) is the real exception. You could make an argument for Tony Parker but he is really a score-first PG. The other starting PG's with rings: Derek Fisher, Ron Harper, Mario Chalmers, Jason Kidd (reduced to a spot-up shooter by old-age). Most of those teams won with ball-dominant wing players ala' Paul George.

    George Hill isn't the problem here.

    The problem is Indiana basketball fans. For some reason the basketball culture in Indiana has caused us all to be obsessed with traditional pass-first playmaking PG's (John Stockton, Steve Nash, Chris Paul). Look how long we've all been crying for a new PG. Basically since MJax left.

    The truth is there are really only 3-4 starting caliber PG's like that left in the league now. Really only 1 of those can play defense as well. Our system requires good defense from all 5 positions so its time to face the music: we aren't getting one of those PG's. A combo guard who has length and athleticism, plays good defense, takes care of the ball, and can hit the occasional jumpshot is exactly what this team needs, that's George Hill.

    So please just give up the scape-goating for once
    Last edited by Mr.ThunderMakeR; 12-19-2013 at 02:47 PM.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:


  27. #120
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6-4 in our last ten and 2-3 over our last five.
    Teams go through peaks and valleys in the course of an 82 game season. Not worried at all.

  28. #121
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always gotta have a scapegoat, even when you are off to your best start in history...

    Quick story: when Nash left the Suns I was REALLY hoping he'd come here. I was sure that Nash was the final piece we needed to become a contender. Keep in mind that this was before he was totally-broken-down-crippled Nash. Someone here, I forget who, pointed out that you don't need a traditional PG like that to win a championship. In fact you really have to go back to the early 90's to find championship teams with a traditional-style PG. Rondo (1 ring) is the real exception. You could make an argument for Tony Parker but he is really a score-first PG. The other starting PG's with rings: Derek Fisher, Ron Harper, Mario Chalmers, Jason Kidd (reduced to a spot-up shooter by old-age). Most of those teams won with ball-dominant wing players ala' Paul George.

    George Hill isn't the problem here.

    The problem is Indiana basketball fans. For some reason the basketball culture in Indiana has caused us all to be obsessed with traditional pass-first playmaking PG's (John Stockton, Steve Nash, Chris Paul). Look how long we've all been crying for a new PG. Basically since MJax left.

    The truth is there are really only 3-4 starting caliber PG's like that left in the league now. Really only 1 of those can play defense as well. Our system requires good defense from all 5 positions so its time to face the music: we aren't getting one of those PG's. A combo guard who has length and athleticism, plays good defense, takes care of the ball, and can hit the occasional jumpshot is exactly what this team needs, that's George Hill.

    So please just give up the scape-goating for once
    Chauncey Billups?

  29. #122
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,035

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    The only problem that George Hill has this season is that he needs to look for his shot more. That's all.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  30. #123

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    George Hill does fine at PG. I just believe he's better used off the ball against Miami. When Lance is playing well he should probably be the main ball handler against their pressure defense. He has the best matchup going against Wade or Allen. Neither of them can really bother Lance from getting around the floor or disrupt his passing lanes.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  32. #124
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Eh, our entire team needs to improve against the aggressive defense Miami played in the second half. Every guy was getting trapped, rarely getting the help they need. None of our wings were getting the ball into the post, not just Hill.

  33. #125
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: George Hill problem ?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chauncey Billups?
    I think George Hill is a lot closer to Chauncey Billups in style than Billups is to Steve Nash. Billups wasn't exactly known for running a great offense or getting other players looks.

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •