Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luck over RG3

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Luck over RG3

Travmil, i havent heard the first story. So i cant comment on it.

I have heard the second one, and it was debunked by RG3, the Redskins and MS.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course the local writers would deny it. Their job depends on being allowed into the building.

Even so, citing "unnamed sources" in the Bleacher Report article and "people familiar with the situation" in the Washington Post story doesn't lend a whole lot of credibility to either viewpoint. But I can still decide which looks more plausible to me with the information at hand.
    In the same breast of course the national media would run with it. It sells story and page click which is what they want

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

is this topic still being debated?
    David "And One" West

IMO, I think Luck is clearly the better player of the two, RGIII's style of play doesn't work in this league

I guess if one season means that your style doesnt work, then yes, you are correct.

No denying this year Luck had a better year. Hell, no denying this year anyone and everyone had a better year.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I guess if one season means that your style doesnt work, then yes, you are correct.

No denying this year Luck had a better year. Hell, no denying this year anyone and everyone had a better year.
    Look at all of the other dual threat quarterbacks that have come into this league and failed. Russell Wilson is the first one to find success, and even he doesn't use his legs near as much as RGIII did and he has Marshawn Lynch and a great defense to help him out (Same goes for Kaepernick). I think RGIII can be a good player, good enough to lead a team to a superbowl, but I can't see him ever being a superstar in this league. His arm isn't as good as Luck's and you just can't rely on a quarterback using his legs and expect him to stay healthy, as evident to RGIII landing on IR this year

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Look at all of the other dual threat quarterbacks that have come into this league and failed. Russell Wilson is the first one to find success, and even he doesn't use his legs near as much as RGIII did and he has Marshawn Lynch and a great defense to help him out (Same goes for Kaepernick). I think RGIII can be a good player, good enough to lead a team to a superbowl, but I can't see him ever being a superstar in this league. His arm isn't as good as Luck's and you just can't rely on a quarterback using his legs and expect him to stay healthy, as evident to RGIII landing on IR this year
    RG3 wasnt on the IR this year.

I dont disagree with you, but Cam Newton would argue differently.

Personally I dont care. As I said when they were drafted, both could have great careers. I agree RG3 has a lot of growing to do (mostly as a pocket passer) but its not as if he did not already have a superstar season last year.

IMO, I think Luck is clearly the better player of the two, RGIII's style of play doesn't work in this league
    I think RGIII eventually will be fine especially if he could get out of Washington. I think Luck will be better though.

I'll rephrase what I said, RGIII's style of play can't work UNLESS, you have good skills as a pocket passer as well, and RGIII needs to work on those, can he gain them? Perhaps, but we need to wait and see. He isn't bad as a pocket passer, but he has a lot of room to grow

Mood

I really liked all 3 coming out from college and I think all 3 could be special. I think RG III would have done somewhat better if he weren't constantly get hit when he threw the ball. Wilson fell into a great situation with a good defense and running game. Of the three Luck was my favorite because of his ability to audible to another play and he plays with tremendous poise for his experience. He is a true leader and the way he commands the hurdle is impressive. Not quite like Peyton does but he is pretty good for himself. He is pretty darn athletic as well and it surprises some teams at how well he can run the ball if the play breaks down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So I guess Donovan McNabb didn't exist...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Luck is better than RG3. But RG3 could retire tomorrow and have had a better career than Ryan Leaf.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    So I guess Donovan McNabb didn't exist...
    Cam Newton, Steve Mcnair, Daunte Culpepper, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, and as much as people want to rag on Vick he's still been in the league a long time and has had a nice career. Wilson is FAR from the first.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Cam Newton, Steve Mcnair, Daunte Culpepper, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, and as much as people want to rag on Vick he's still been in the league a long time and has had a nice career. Wilson is FAR from the first.
    John Elway. Warren Moon.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

I'm not saying dual threat quarterbacks can't succeed, they can, but RGIII can't succeed with his style or the style from his rookie season, which was carrying it 120 times, I know he can run, but you can't stay healthy running it 120 times, even with the sucess of Newton this year, he Carried the ball 30+ times less than RGIII did his rookie year. Like I said earlier I think RGIII will be a good player, but you can let him carry it that much, it won't work

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    John Elway. Warren Moon.

Andrew Luck

He rushed 62 times last year and 61 so far this year. The most Elway did was 66, but that was his only year in the 60's. Steve Young had a couple of years in the 70's, but most of the time was hanging in the 50's in attempts.

Luck is a damn solid running quarterback.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying dual threat quarterbacks can't succeed, they can, but RGIII can't succeed with his style or the style from his rookie season, which was carrying it 120 times, I know he can run, but you can't stay healthy running it 120 times, even with the sucess of Newton this year, he Carried the ball 30+ times less than RGIII did his rookie year. Like I said earlier I think RGIII will be a good player, but you can let him carry it that much, it won't work
    This is just a part of learning to play in the NFL. Every dual threat qb starts out running more than they should for the most part. Cam Newton ran 120+ times in years 1 and 2. Hell Cam still runs too much as he will take over 100 rushes this year. McNabb ran 85+ times his first two full seasons. As he improved those numbers dropped to 40ish carries.

If I am a Washignton fan I am just depressed looking at the future.

The owner is bad enough, but if you have a young QB who has his ear and gets what he wants what viable candidate is going to want to go there? Who would want to be undermined every time the QB disagrees with a decision. The guy takes no responsibility and even brags to other teammates that he has the ear of the owner. Who in their right mind would want to go into that mess?

Obivously, RG3 is not going to develop like he should given his ego. He has the talent, but does need some work to be really good, but when your ego gets in the way it will just be another sad story of talent wasted.

This will be a disaster for that franchise and set it back for years. It is bad enough to whiff on a top QB pick. You add on all the picks they gave up to get him and it will leave the pantry bare for sometime. We saw what whiffing on first picks did to the Colts in the later years of Polian's tenure here did to the team.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

You guys put a lot of stock into these RGIII rumors. But I'll say this, if my HC was dumb enough to put his rookie QB back in the game after a pretty serious injury only to watch him make it worse just a few plays later, I would expect not only the QB to question his decisions, but the entire lockerroom.

The whole thing just reeks of Shanny trying to save face, IMHO.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

If this whole thing is true and if these are issues that aren't fixable, Cousins looks like a viable option himself. So the Redskins could REALLY screw this up if they aren't careful.

But still, RGIII's season last year ended like many worried and it has jeopardized his career just like many worried it would. I don't know who gets the blame for that or if it needs shared, but it's not like anyone should say it's a total surprise where things are right now on the field. The soap opera stuff might be surprising... but then it's Snyder and the Redskins so should it be surprising to anyone?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

You guys put a lot of stock into these RGIII rumors. But I'll say this, if my HC was dumb enough to put his rookie QB back in the game after a pretty serious injury only to watch him make it worse just a few plays later, I would expect not only the QB to question his decisions, but the entire lockerroom.

The whole thing just reeks of Shanny trying to save face, IMHO.

Next year and beyond will go a long way in answering these questions. If the drama fades away and RG3 gets along well with his new coach while winning games, then you will certainly be able to attribute a lot of this stuff to Shanny. But if there are more of these "where there is smoke, there's fire" type of stories, then it will be hard not to blame RG3. I think that both of them probably deserve some blame and that it was just a horrible match. Shanny is obviously stubborn and has a huge ego. But I don't think RG3 is without blame. He did get called out by Santana Moss after that Philly game.

I'm not near as anti-RG3 as some here. He is still young and there is plenty of time to get it right. Things change quickly on a year to year basis in the NFL and they could easily be challenging for that pathetic division next year. And you can't forget that he suffered a brutal injury that no doubt lingered in his head all season.

You guys put a lot of stock into these RGIII rumors.
    Rumors ?? Why would a writer come up with this stuff ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Rumors ?? Why would a writer come up with this stuff ??
    Why would Frank Isola tweet that Danny had knee issues and not a strained calf just a month ago? Writers write what they are told, and they can be told anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Next year and beyond will go a long way in answering these questions. If the drama fades away and RG3 gets along well with his new coach while winning games, then you will certainly be able to attribute a lot of this stuff to Shanny. But if there are more of these "where there is smoke, there's fire" type of stories, then it will be hard not to blame RG3. I think that both of them probably deserve some blame and that it was just a horrible match. Shanny is obviously stubborn and has a huge ego. But I don't think RG3 is without blame. He did get called out by Santana Moss after that Philly game.

I'm not near as anti-RG3 as some here. He is still young and there is plenty of time to get it right. Things change quickly on a year to year basis in the NFL and they could easily be challenging for that pathetic division next year. And you can't forget that he suffered a brutal injury that no doubt lingered in his head all season.
    I agree. I just think it's a bit odd, because all the stories about RGIII prior to this was how great of a guy he is.