Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luck over RG3

Default Luck over RG3

I'm glad the Colts chose Luck over RG3. Dodge a bullet...similar to Manning over Leaf.

Other than our long forgotten poster, I think we can all agree that the Colts are doing well with their choices in QB.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Swingman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Luck over RG3

With Luck it's all about the team. With RG3 it's all about RG3. Aside from skill sets, that's the biggest difference between the two, IMHO.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You all know my stance on this subject.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My opinion on this topic is known as well.

I will say I think it is asinine to compare RG3 to Leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My opinion on this topic is known as well.

I will say I think it is asinine to compare RG3 to Leaf.
    The only thing I was comparing was that both drafts had QBs go 1 and 2 and the Colts dodged a bullet each time by picking the right one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Swingman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    The only thing I was comparing was that both drafts had QBs go 1 and 2 and the Colts dodged a bullet each time by picking the right one.
    Right one for this year? Absolutely.

Right one for both of their respective careers? I think its asinine to even try to say that, on either side.
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 12-18-2013 at 10:06 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Luck is better, but the inferiority of the Redskins organization compared to the Colts counts for some of the difference thus far. Any young QB would struggle in DC.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Right one for this year? Absolutely.

Right one for both of their respective careers? I think its asinine to even try to say that, on either side.
    RG3 not listening to the coaches and pouting whenever he gets taken out and now his dad is trying to interfere. I'm glad the Colts aren't in the middle of that.

That was a great draft for QBs. Luck, RG3, Wilson, Tannehill, Foles. Should be fun to continue to watch
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    RG3 not listening to the coaches and pouting whenever he gets taken out and now his dad is trying to interfere. I'm glad the Colts aren't in the middle of that.
    Both the coach thing and thedad thing were and are wat overblown......all from the media. Not sure what you mena bu now....his dad in the locker room happened months ago. And one time (a dad checking om his sons safety. I thought it was a bit helocopter parent...but thats another topic).

Now if you want to talk about a QB who needs to take blame and stop being so open with the media.....ill agree with you on that.

The Colts arent located in DC with all the crazy stupid DC expectations, so of course they are not in the middle of it

Like above poster said all in all a good class of QB's, and I think all have a chance to improve. Including Luck

And in the end it may not even matter if Russell Wilson ends up winning more SBs when all is said and done.

I'm glad we chose Luck I think he's a better QB overall and well he fits into Indiana more than RG3 would.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    And in the end it may not even matter if Russell Wilson ends up winning more SBs when all is said and done.

I'm glad we chose Luck I think he's a better QB overall and well he fits into Indiana more than RG3 would.

Russell Wilson is an excellent young QB, but I don't think it's possible for a player to start his career in a more favorable situation. That defense and running game.....my God.

I can't imagine what Luck would be capable of if we had Seattle's O-Line and a running threat like Marshawn Lynch.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both the coach thing and thedad thing were and are wat overblown......all from the media. Not sure what you mena bu now....his dad in the locker room happened months ago. And one time (a dad checking om his sons safety. I thought it was a bit helocopter parent...but thats another topic).
    It's not another topic, and sorry, but one time my foot. In addition to the locker room stuff, his dad lobbied Snyder to replace Shanahan with RGIII's coach from Baylor. Can you imagine if Andrew Luck's dad called Irsay to try to get him to fire Chuck and hire David Shaw? Of course, if that were to happen it might hold a bit more credibility since David Shaw is a good coach and Oliver Luck actually does know what he's talking about when it comes to football, but I digress. There are also reports that his dad was the exact same way at Baylor, entering the locker room like it was his right to be there and talking to the media there like he was a representative of the program. It's hardly one time, at this point it's a well established pattern dating back 6 years. It's obvious to me that as long as RGIII is a Redskin, the Redskins will have to deal with RGII.

Now there are reports coming from Redskins team sources that RGIII is totally dismissive of criticism and won't be coached. A QB can have all the ability in the world (and RGIII does), but if he won't listen to coaches or change what he is doing wrong to make himself better, it won't matter. Dear old dad better tell his boy to wise up and listen or he won't be able to live in his reflection for very much longer.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-19-2013 at 09:16 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

All the local writers are denying those stories, supposedly. They were talking about it yesterday on Around the Horn, and all 4 panelists agreed that the local guys were saying it wasn't true, that the national writers were the ones reporting it, and that Shanny was the one behind the leaks.

You've got to be pretty stupid to think you can strong arm an NFL team as a parent of a player.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Of course the local writers would deny it. Their job depends on being allowed into the building.

Even so, citing "unnamed sources" in the Bleacher Report article and "people familiar with the situation" in the Washington Post story doesn't lend a whole lot of credibility to either viewpoint. But I can still decide which looks more plausible to me with the information at hand.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-19-2013 at 10:36 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I don't think any parent is dumb enough to try and strong arm an NFL owner into signing the college coach they want, who isn't even a big commodity. So I don't find that angle all that plausible. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Russell Wilson is an excellent young QB, but I don't think it's possible for a player to start his career in a more favorable situation. That defense and running game.....my God.

I can't imagine what Luck would be capable of if we had Seattle's O-Line and a running threat like Marshawn Lynch.

Ben Roethlisberger comes to mind and to a lesser extent Tom Brady

Regardless my point is Luck and RG3 may be the great debate but if Wilson wins SB's he'll be remembered more even if he may not be the most talented.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't think any parent is dumb enough to try and strong arm an NFL owner into signing the college coach they want, who isn't even a big commodity. So I don't find that angle all that plausible. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I don't know, I would have to think that RG3's camp is pretty desperate after this miserable season. A year ago he was one of the hottest young athletes in the world. But now he is the quarterback of a 3 win team and has completely been left in the dust by the likes of Luck, Wilson, and Kaepernick. I wouldn't be surprised if the RG3 camp feels that desperate times call for desperate measures.

Archie Manning is a respected former player, but the Manning camp made a complete mockery of the NFL draft process when they threw a hissy fit over Eli getting drafted by San Diego. I know that picking where your kid plays is a bit different than telling an owner who to hire as coach, but it was still a giant crossing of the line by a parent. If Archie as a former player felt comfortable in publicly giving the middle finger to the entire league, then it wouldn't surprise me at all if RG2 was trying to tell the owner what to do behind closed doors.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well people are dumb enough, believe me. We live in an age where parents feel comfortable with fighting their kids battles for them, no matter the circumstance. I could give countless examples of parents interfering on behalf of their kids at school, work, personal lives, you name it. This is only different because of the stage it's on.

So, is it plausible for me and you? Probably not. Plausible for RG2? Given his history, definitely. What you and I would do in a similar situation has no bearing at all on what someone else would do.

Archie Manning is a respected former player, but the Manning camp made a complete mockery of the NFL draft process when they threw a hissy fit over Eli getting drafted by San Diego. I know that picking where your kid plays is a bit different than telling an owner who to hire as coach, but it was still a giant crossing of the line by a parent. If Archie as a former player felt comfortable in publicly giving the middle finger to the entire league, then it wouldn't surprise me at all if RG2 was trying to tell the owner what to do behind closed doors.
    The best example of all. Worked out pretty well for Eli eh? Why not give it a shot.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-19-2013 at 12:41 PM.

I don't know, I would have to think that RG3's camp is pretty desperate after this miserable season.
    So is Shannahan's camp.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

So is Shannahan's camp.
    That's true. Motivation on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Well people are dumb enough, believe me. We live in an age where parents feel comfortable with fighting their kids battles for them, no matter the circumstance. I could give countless examples of parents interfering on behalf of their kids at school, work, personal lives, you name it. This is only different because of the stage it's on.
    My dad coaches girls varsity basketball, trust me, I understand how crazy parents can get with their kids.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I don't know, I would have to think that RG3's camp is pretty desperate after this miserable season. A year ago he was one of the hottest young athletes in the world. But now he is the quarterback of a 3 win team and has completely been left in the dust by the likes of Luck, Wilson, and Kaepernick. I wouldn't be surprised if the RG3 camp feels that desperate times call for desperate measures.

RG2 and 3 is really more like Elway and his dad 30 years ago during the draft. Since neither of their dads were in the NFL.

Personally I have no issue either way. As I've said NFL owners don't care about the players beyond the bottom line so why should the players care? Its their career.

Elway and Manning don't regret it there's no reason to.

Didn't Archie weigh in on Mora... whether it was keeping him or firing him or him being here when Peyton got here? I can't remember details but I thought at some point Archie weighed in on Mora.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB

Speaking of college coaches moving onto the NFL... Where are any of Luck's college coaches?

Oh wait... nevermind....

Nothing to see here...

Move along....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: