Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This scenario...

Exclamation This scenario...

Looking at how Lance has brought it in the last few games pts, wise, even when he's not scoring he is still hitting the boards and dishing the ball. I envision a scenario where he ends up being our starting PG. A healthy Danny slides into being our starting SG. George Hill would be traded, packaged with Orlando, Solomon, or Ian for a back up C and backup SG upgrade. Looking at salaries, moving a starting salary Hill for cheaper bench assets that are also upgrades makes sense. You could re-sign Lance and Danny if they play their cards right. I think Larry knows he cannot net a starting or star quality PG by just trading GH. But I think he hopes Danny returns and rounds into 18 ppg form by the all-star break. This makes Hill very expendable. And in a 3 team deal, Indy could land Afflalo and Big Baby Davis, or Thornton and Jason Thompson in exchange for packaging GH, with Ian, and one of our young guards like Orlando or Solomon.
    Last edited by Grimp; 12-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Default Re: This scenario...

Don't look for Bird to let Hill go after trading K. Leonard to get him. I would look for Lance and Hill to remain the starting backcourt and share PG responsibility just the way they do now. DG at the 2 would be a mistake IMO. Better to play PG at the 2 and DG at the 3 if we don't want to use Danny off the bench. I see Danny, George, Lance and Paul as the guard/wing rotation taking almost all the 144 minutes available by playoff time. The only change to that would be if we lost Roy/Ian or West/Luis for any length of time and had to use Granger as a 4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Someone will need to be moved this summer. If Granger is truly healthy this could be an option. If forced to pick between a healthy Granger and GHill the decision isn't that difficult especially with CJ and Donald as backups.

edit:with that said there is no money to bring on another big.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-17-2013 at 05:46 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't look for Bird to let Hill go after trading K. Leonard to get him. I would look for Lance and Hill to remain the starting backcourt and share PG responsibility just the way they do now. DG at the 2 would be a mistake IMO. Better to play PG at the 2 and DG at the 3 if we don't want to use Danny off the bench. I see Danny, George, Lance and Paul as the guard/wing rotation taking almost all the 144 minutes available by playoff time. The only change to that would be if we lost Roy/Ian or West/Luis for any length of time and had to use Granger as a 4.

I can't think of one thing Hill does well though. Every player on our team does one or two things well. George? Not so much.

I have been wondering for the last week if a move for Lance to PG may be a scenario we could see at some point in the future.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Legend said he thinks Lance can play PG. I agree with him.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol I love how when Hill has a bad game he gets jumped all over but when Paul or Roy or anyone else does they don't. And then when Hill does have a good game he gets no where near the credit as Paul or Roy does.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I can't think of one thing Hill does well though. Every player on our team does one or two things well. George? Not so much.
    Can't say I agree. George Hill does a lot of things well.

In fact, with a healthy Granger we really have 8 very solid NBA basketball players who could start on most teams in the league. With a healthy Granger and Lance breaking out, we have what is known as "a good problem". But it could turn out to be a very difficult decision depending on how players progress.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Lol I love how when Hill has a bad game he gets jumped all over but when Paul or Roy or anyone else does they don't. And then when Hill does have a good game he gets no where near the credit as Paul or Roy does.
    It's more so the glaring ability of Lance Stephenson for the basis of my assertion.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Can't say I agree. George Hill does a lot of things well.

In fact, with a healthy Granger we really have 8 very solid NBA basketball players who could start on most teams in the league. With a healthy Granger and Lance breaking out, we have what is known as "a good problem". But it could turn out to be a very difficult decision depending on how players progress.

I just see him as a weak link. Maybe it's health? But I'd still prefer someone like Lou Williams. Lou has an off the dribble game that can make something out of broken plays. It's like Lance can attack the rim at will, but what if we had 2 Lances?

I also agree with this bit of wisdom. If Lance continues to break out the way he has started the year. If Scola continues to get better and better acclimated to the team's moves and needs and we get a healthy Granger back, we will have a very strong team by the end of the season. The only problem comes when we get to the end and have to face the money we would need to keep this jewel of a team together. If we really have 8 very strong NBA players at playoff time then the hardest part will be keeping them all happy with their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Hill has been bad all year, you can't possibly compare that to the fantastic play of Roy and Paul overall this season. We ignore our point guard's limitations in passing/handling for his scoring...well if the dude is putting up 11 points on 40% shooting there's a problem. Hopefully he picks it up.
    On the Lance bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I also agree with this bit of wisdom. If Lance continues to break out the way he has started the year. If Scola continues to get better and better acclimated to the team's moves and needs and we get a healthy Granger back, we will have a very strong team by the end of the season. The only problem comes when we get to the end and have to face the money we would need to keep this jewel of a team together. If we really have 8 very strong NBA players at playoff time then the hardest part will be keeping them all happy with their time.

Trading George Hill, Orlando, Ian, and Solomon. As well as cutting Sloan would take care of that. Paul, Roy, and David are the only big contracts we have on our team. In reality, we could switch out Lance's contract with GH. If we keep Granger, or we take his money and sign some better players. The key is trading Hill for expiring contracts or to a team who can just absorb him for a pick.

Is it a reasonable assumption that Danny (when healthy) is still an 18ppg player on this squad? By all means, I hope he can be, but even if he is capable of doing so, I don't know if that fits the current team dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Is it a reasonable assumption that Danny (when healthy) is still an 18ppg player on this squad? By all means, I hope he can be, but even if he is capable of doing so, I don't know if that fits the current team dynamic.
    At best Danny is high teens. Back when Troy Murphy and Josh McRoberts were patrolling the paint, it was quite natural for Granger to score 20+. Those days are over for good. I would actually be quite surprised if Danny averages over 15ppg the rest of this year. Heck, I don't even think he'll be healthy enough to stay on the court.

This thread is proving "those people" to be correct. I cannot believe we are complaining about George Hill. I bet if we had Magic Johnson's Laker roster from the 80's we'd complain about James Worthy.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Nope, we dont need that from Danny... What we need is for him to play good defense, body up the larger wings that give PG fits... Point production for DG does not even need to get into the double digits for him to be affective for this team... But 12ppg (my prediction) will definately help the offensive woes...

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Nope, we dont need that from Danny... What we need is for him to play good defense, body up the larger wings that give PG fits... Point production for DG does not even need to get into the double digits for him to be affective for this team... But 12ppg (my prediction) will definately help the offensive woes...
    12ppg from Granger coming off the bench could be the difference between advancing to the finals and watching Miami lose to Portland.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    George Hill does a lot of things well.
    Agree. There's nothing he's great at, but he's quite good as an overall player.

And for those thinking that sliding Danny into the SG spot is a good idea - look - he can't even make it on the court. When/if he ever does, do you really think that at his age, with his injury history, with this starting 5 playing so well together, with Danny not having played in such a long time - I could go on - but you get the idea. On another team, Danny might - MIGHT - be considered a starter after proving that he's indeed recovered from his injuries - on this team, he should be glad to be the 7th, 8th or 9th man, accept his role and enjoy the ride.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

sav

I don't see us re-signing Granger, unless he miraculously can stay healthy for an extended period of time

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Certainly, it is more about if he gets enough opportunity to score than ability.

Sports Logo

The scenario that I want to see is one where this type of thread doesn't pop up every couple of weeks.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no way that we would trade George Hill. He is in the prime of his career and is one of Bird's favorite players. Plus he has not missed many games over the course of his career. All the team has done since Hill arrived is win a lot of games. He might not be the classic cliche' point guard and he's never going to toss 8 dimes a night, but he is a play maker who continuously finds ways to succeed.

I don't really care about the labels placed on Hill and Lance. All I care about is the fact that they have been an extremely solid starting backcourt over the last 13 months. Regardless of what title he has, Lance is going to continue to get a ton of opportunities to control the ball and make plays, as will Hill. This is the backcourt of the present and future.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

No way that Granger moves to starting SG when he becomes healthy. He's not athletic enough (and never was), especially at this point in his career. Lance stays at the 2, PG at the 3, and Danny will come off the bench. I will admit that our hometown hero from IUPUI is likely the weakest link in the starting lineup, but when your worst starter is averaging 11-4-4, you're in a good spot. He fits with the team concept really well both offensively and defensively.

Trust me, we're fine.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

sav

If anybody gets dealt this offseason to make room for Lance, I see it being any combination of Scola, Copeland, Watson, Sloan, or Johnson. Solid players and solid deals with only 1 year left on their contract. If we're lucky, we toss Ian into one of those trades. I like Ian, but anytime I can clear $4 million off my books for a backup... I'll do it.

We've got everything we need with G3, Lance, PG, West, and Hibby. Our bench will always be weak as long as we have those 5 guys. We just have to learn to deal with it and hope we get lucky every once in a while with a Chandler Parsons (or Lance) type guy in the draft. Cheap labor is our friend at this point.

Kyle Brumbizzy aka A55 MVP, what up yo. Joe Hoya too. You guys are my idols. Wish I was there to enjoy the season with you folks. P4E, holler. 5 years of season ticket hell, move to Reno, then the team starts ******** on people. You're welcome PacersDigest. I'm the reason we're contenders. That **** wouldn't happen if I still lived in town.

Go Colts.