Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Indy for the game 28th....where do I eat in the big city

Default Heading to Indy for the game 28th....where do I eat in the big city

Hey guys,

The wife and I got tix to see the Pacers play the Nets on the 28th. Coming in on Friday and staying thru Sunday morning. Haven't been to Indy in 10+ years. What are some good, local places to eat (not looking for expensive but Burger joints, sandwiches, ect) and some cool bars/places to go. We're staying at the Omni downtown and would love to see some nightlife

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Heading to Indy for the game 28th....where do I eat in the big city

RAM Brewery and Rock Bottom downtown have good brews and down to earth food. Wander up to Mass Ave and there are tons of places like Bazbeaux pizza and Yats cajun. There's BARcelona Tapas and India Garden on Delaware. You can do the Claddagh for good solid Irish food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

BillS has some good ideas. For burger/sandwiches in or around the mall I like BW3's, Kilroy's, Chammps and Granite City.

PLEASE... lol... go to Pizza King .... Get a x large sausage and BBQ ...
    it is so heavenly.....

But yea , get whatever toppings you want... if u want them all, they have a "royal feast" .. The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing to not forget is the BBQ ...

Wish i could figure out what sauce they use or if there is a recipe.. it is THAT good!

But if you are eating solo or with another , a 12 inch is minimal I'd go with .. I can eat a large by myself in the course of a game.... lol
    Last edited by Kemo; 12-15-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    12 inch is minimal I'd go with

You guys should create a sticky for this topic, there have been a few like this in the once every month or so.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

The Spaghetti Factory is close walking distance to the Fieldhouse. Great atmosphere and no more expensive then a lot of sandwich shops you'll find downtown.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Shapiro's Deli just a few blocks south of town has some of the best sandwiches you will ever eat!
    Not cheap but amazing.
    My favorite is pastrami on rye.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Fountain Square is a cool area. Siam Square is really a good Thai place if you like that kind of food.
    @qandrews9428

14. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you want local and not chain, Andrus O'Reilly's is one block north of the Fieldhouse on Pennsylvania. Solid burgers and decent fish and chips. There's also The Pub right across the street from the Fieldhouse on Georgia. Again, it's pretty much bar food but not bad. The steak sandwich is always good. There's a little hole in the wall Italian place on New York St called Amicis. You won't be able to walk to the Fieldhouse from there but a cab would be like $5. The service might be a little iffy but the food is always good.
    If you want something a little nicer but not fine dining prices, there's Mikado for sushi and Harry and Izzy's for a fairly wide American menu.
    Have fun and GO PACERS!

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    If you want local and not chain, Andrus O'Reilly's is one block north of the Fieldhouse on Pennsylvania. Solid burgers and decent fish and chips. There's also The Pub right across the street from the Fieldhouse on Georgia. Again, it's pretty much bar food but not bad. The steak sandwich is always good. There's a little hole in the wall Italian place on New York St called Amicis. You won't be able to walk to the Fieldhouse from there but a cab would be like $5. The service might be a little iffy but the food is always good.
    If you want something a little nicer but not fine dining prices, there's Mikado for sushi and Harry and Izzy's for a fairly wide American menu.
    Have fun and GO PACERS!

If you go to Harry and Izzys or St. Elmos steakhouse, you have to order the shrimp cocktail. The tradition is to put as much of the cocktail sauce on as possible, and eat it all in one bite. Not as good if you don't do it that way.
    @qandrews9428

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

If you enjoy soccer, I'd hit up Chatham Tap. Great food and beer options.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    If you go to Harry and Izzys or St. Elmos steakhouse, you have to order the shrimp cocktail. The tradition is to put as much of the cocktail sauce on as possible, and eat it all in one bite. Not as good if you don't do it that way.
    And have your wife dial 9-1, then hold her thumb over the second one and wait for you to give the signal.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Hey Mayhem -

I live in Crawfordsville, IN, but have temporarily relocated to Knoxville! Go Vols.

Anyhoo, as for your preferences, I would suggest:
    - Bru Burger Bar (I haven't been yet, but looks great!)
    - Bazbeaux (inventive pizzas, Quattro Formaggio w/bacon is my fave)
    - Santorini Greek Kitchen (fish kebabs, flaming cheese, OPA!)
    - Rook (Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwiches, terrific)

Also, try to find a breaded tenderloin. It is an Indiana tradition, kind of like a schnitzel.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ptaylor2112 For This Useful Post:

The Big City?

I thought you were coming to Indianapolis?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Best Burger in town (or any other town) is found at Working Man's Friend on S Belmont on the near west side 2 blocks south of Washington.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

I gotta few suggestions:

Papa Roux: You order your Po-Boy with two sides. Sit down, they bring it too you.. It's a pound of meet, and then you can get unlimited sides in addition to the two sides they initially bring you. 10th and Post Rd. This place is unique to say the least. Excellent eating.

http://www.paparouxcajun.com/

Fat Dan's on College Ave. Location is great on this. At the intersection there are a few other places nearby that you can stop at after you're done eating. (Newspaper stand I think is one, but there's just a few interesting places there). Anywho, this place is fantastic. Their food is delish, no other way around it. They too, like Papa Roux, insist on giving you enough food so that you hate yourself after you're done eating. This is just outside of Broad Ripple, so if you wanted to bar hap after eating delicious Chicago Style beef, than you'd be in the area.

http://fatdansdeli.com/

Twenty Tap. This is next door to Fat Dan's. I actually enjoy the food here more than Fat Dan's. Love it. I think the layout of Fan Dan's is cooler, but just because of their Pulled Pork sammich, I give Twenty Tap the edge. Twenty Tap always has, as you'd expect because of the name, really good beer.

http://www.twentytap.com/

The Ale Emporium - Try their Hermanaki Wings, their Hermanator or their Pizza. Solid menu, tho their Hermanaki wings are what they're known for. This bar (the others I mentioned are NOT bars) is farther away than the other places I mentioned, located at essentially the cross section of interstate 69 and 465. That area is known as Castleton, a shopping area as well as a few good bars.

Pearl Street Pizzeria. This is downtown near all the other downtown bars. The pizza is delicious. It's clean, neat looking place with booze, and lots local beers to enjoy. Love this place. Coaches and O'Reillys are essentially next door to this place, and you can get a decent burger at each.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Also, I was going to add in where to get the best tenderloin, but also aware this could turn into a never ending argument. So. Yeah.
    Last edited by mattie; 12-16-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Sports Logo

The first meal that I ate when I arrived in Indianapolis was a stop at White Castles on the way from the airport to the Hotel.

Before any of you ask....why White Castle? It's cuz I'm from the West Coast and they don't have White Castles there and it's one of my bucket list items that I was able to cross off my list
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    You guys should create a sticky for this topic, there have been a few like this in the once every month or so.
    I know that I will be posting and asking the same thing come June 2014 .
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Since nobody has mentioned a good place for breakfast yet, I have to
    heartily recommend Acapulco Joe's at the corner of Illinois & Vermont St.

The service may be a little slow when they are busy, but it is well worth
    the wait. Personally I like their western or mexican omelettes, but their
    biscuits & gravy is legendary.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I live just down the street from Papa Roux (I usually just walk there). It is amazing. The Creole will melt your face off, so beware.

FYI, the guy that runs that place is a displace Katrina transplant. Someone around here offered to let him stay at their house and he used to cook as a way to show thanks, and they suggested he should start his own restaurant. So on, etc, and now I have a new favorite place to eat.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Mood

Might I recommend Pearl St. Pizza. It's off, you guessed it, Pearl St, which is an alley between Meridian and Pennsylvania by Coaches/Scotty's/O'Riellys. Had it for the first time the other day, amazing...pretty cheap too, but damn good pizza.

@Pacers24Colts12

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

I really like Punch Burger, which is fairly new, but I don't know what their hours are. Also, Shapiro's, and if you're going to Fountain Square, I really enjoy the food at the Red Lion Grog House.

Coming to Indy and not grabbing lunch at Shapiro's should be considered a crime. It's worth the money. I've yet to have anything on their menu that was short of fantastic.

Random thoughts:

1. You can't go wrong with most steakhouses in Indy. No one will mistake Indy for KC, but I've never heard anyone really complain about their steak anywhere either. St. Elmo's is the most famous locale, and a lot of locals will tell you it's overrated and you can get the same food cheaper at Harry & Izzys (they share a kitchen). I think it's good steak, though. Still best I've had in the city.

2. If you like really good burgers at a place with some nice ambiance, where you can still see ESPN in the corner -- BRU Burger on Mass Ave.

3. If you like BBQ, I always hear great things about Smokehouse on Shelby, though it's definitely a cab ride from downtown.

4. Underrated place I like a lot: Tavern on South, on South Street next to Lucas Oil Stadium. It's my ideal tavern menu, so if I'm planning on grabbing drinks & food for a few hours, Tavern is a place to go for the quality of both. Maybe not so much the crowd (that will be more Mass Ave or Fountain Square)

5. If you're looking for Italian, please don't go to Buca or some other Italian chain. Indy has a lot of chain restaurants, and a lot central to downtown that make you think those are your only options. But Milano Inn is a very short cab ride from downtown, and so worth it.

6. If you're just looking for low-expense, good-crowd, sports-watching fun, you can't go wrong with Kilroy's. As an IU alum, it holds a special place in my heart. It's also spoiled me for drink choices (having since been somewhere and asked what kind of long islands they have, and being met with a quizzical look and response "there's just the long island" -- Kilroy's must have 30+ different variations of Long Islands). I've never eaten at the downtown Kilroy's, but IU Kilroy's was perfect for pregaming for IU basketball on $2 Tuesdays especially, could grab a cheeseburger, breadsticks and drink for $6!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Bru Burger is definitely the best place for burgers, IMO. It's not "cheap", but it's not going to break the bank either. It's a very unique spot that has been wildly successful.

I second the Pearl St. recommendation.

It really just depends on what kind of food you want. There is just a ton of good food selection downtown.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: