Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So we have no first round pick in 2014, 76'ers have four picks overall?

Question So we have no first round pick in 2014, 76'ers have four picks overall?

What gives? All we have next Summer is a late, LATE 2nd rounder. 76'ers have four picks in the draft overall. 6, 10, 36, and 37. The hell?

Default Re: So we have no first round pick in 2014, 76'ers have four picks overall?

We traded this years pick in the deal that brough over Scola from the Suns...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So we have no first round pick in 2014, 76'ers have four picks overall?

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We traded this years pick in the deal that brough over Scola from the Suns...
    I figured as much but how'd Philly net 4 picks in 1 draft? They have MCW, and Nerlens Noel, already as rooks. Four new rookies in 2014? Gonna be a crowded roster.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I figured as much but how'd Philly net 4 picks in 1 draft? They have MCW, and Nerlens Noel, already as rooks. Four new rookies in 2014? Gonna be a crowded roster.
    Well they got 1 from the Jrue Holiday trade for Noel.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We don't NEED a late first rounder next off-season.

We're going to have our hands full with keeping Lance without that guaranteed contract over our heads.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Suns have 4 1st round picks too. Both teams have a chance to build something special if they play their cards right.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolwuttermelons For This Useful Post:

Why should we care about the draft right now?

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

For what our position would be in the draft we'd be better off buying an early 2cd. round pick in the neighborhood of 31-35. Some of these teams won't be able to use or move all of their picks so I think we could buy one the team really wanted to. I don't know what a late first or early second round picks sells for but I don't think it's over a mil.

Philly, is going to be a good, good team in the future. Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, Evan Turner, and 2 top 10 picks next season? Damn.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

There's a very real chance that our pick is #30. That's the worst pick in the draft. Too late to get the guy you want, but whoever you pick gets a guaranteed contract.

Losing the #30 is no big loss.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Here are all of the trades made for the 2014 draft already

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2014.htm

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    There's a very real chance that our pick is #30. That's the worst pick in the draft. Too late to get the guy you want, but whoever you pick gets a guaranteed contract.

Not only is it no big loss, but it's also preferred. Sure there are players picked at #30 who have ended up as solid contributors, but the last thing you want to do is pay a guaranteed contract for such a huge question mark.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Rebuilding teams like Philadelphia, Phoenix and Milwaukee have a lot of picks in the upcoming draft. Contending teams like us (and traditionally Miami or San Antonio) tend to not have a lot of picks since they have traded them for players that will help them contend. It's pretty simple, actually.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

RealGM has all the outgoing and incoming picks listed for each team for the next five or so years. Easy to get lost in this for twenty minutes.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't say it is NO big lose. Not a major lose but those picks still have some value. With the way we've been developing young talent of late, we are turning into one of those special franchises that can find players that fit their system and makes them into productive players. SA has repeatedly found young prospects at picks 25-30 over the years and turned them into productive NBA players and I think we are slowly closing the gap on teams like that as far as our player development goes. So again wouldn't say it is NO big deal but I don't have a problem dealing picks like that if we can keep landing solid vets like Scola each year, but I don't want to see us treat these picks as totally worthless and shed them just for money saving reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    I wouldn't say it is NO big lose. Not a major lose but those picks still have some value. With the way we've been developing young talent of late, we are turning into one of those special franchises that can find players that fit their system and makes them into productive players. SA has repeatedly found young prospects at picks 25-30 over the years and turned them into productive NBA players and I think we are slowly closing the gap on teams like that as far as our player development goes. So again wouldn't say it is NO big deal but I don't have a problem dealing picks like that if we can keep landing solid vets like Scola each year, but I don't want to see us treat these picks as totally worthless and shed them just for money saving reasons.
    Late first-round picks are given away every year. Given the choice between the #30 and the #31 pick in the draft, I'd much rather have the #31.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Late first-round picks are given away every year. Given the choice between the #30 and the #31 pick in the draft, I'd much rather have the #31.
    I wouldn't.....pick 30 means well ya know.....so give me pick 30 every time lol.....but yea I get what u mean obv. low 2nd rounders are more appealing for contractual reasons but since when is giving away our 1st rounder to get an early 2nd an option every year now anyways? I mean how do you intend to stockpile these pick 31s?

I wouldn't.....pick 30 means well ya know.....so give me pick 30 every time lol.....but yea I get what u mean obv. low 2nd rounders are more appealing for contractual reasons but since when is giving away our 1st rounder to get an early 2nd an option every year now anyways? I mean how do you intend to stockpile these pick 31s?
    The 31st pick in the draft is more valuable than the 30th pick in the draft because it's almost guaranteed that the guy you want at #30 will be there at #31. However, he gets paid FAR less.

And there's a very real possibility that no player drafted after #30 this year will be good enough to make the team. So why pay guaranteed money for a guy who can't make the cut?

If there was ever a year not to sweat the lack of a draft pick, this is that year.

Enjoy your time at PD!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Though isn't there eventually a penalty if you actually do land a quality player in the 2nd round?

I thought 2nd round players have more freedom in signing their second contract (e.g. Lance Stephenson).

I know that pick 31 is better than pick 30 from a draft stand point. I said I would take pick 30 every time as a joke meaning it means we just won the championship, but yes I am aware that pick 31 is way more flexible than pick 30, acquiring picks 31-36 or so though is not easy I doubt we are ever capable of acquiring such a pick again. And, yes I am aware we bout pick 36 from Sacremento to acquire Orlando Johnson in the 2012 Draft I just seriously doubt we will or are able to buy one of these picks again.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I know that pick 31 is better than pick 30 from a draft stand point. I said I would take pick 30 every time as a joke meaning it means we just won the championship, but yes I am aware that pick 31 is way more flexible than pick 30, acquiring picks 31-36 or so though is not easy I doubt we are ever capable of acquiring such a pick again. And, yes I am aware we bout pick 36 from Sacremento to acquire Orlando Johnson in the 2012 Draft I just seriously doubt we will or are able to buy one of these picks again.
    By championship you mean had the best regualr season record, then yes we would win that ring if we had the 30th pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    We don't NEED a late first rounder next off-season.

We're going to have our hands full with keeping Lance without that guaranteed contract over our heads.
    Yeah, but still would be good to have a pick to dangle in a trade.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are contenders and Philly is rebuilding...

If we were the Nets or the Knicks and didn't have pick& weren't contenders it would be a problem, but when you are contending? Not so much IMO.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Is it NBA or NFL where you can not go consecutive drafts without a first round pick? I think it is NBA right so they kind of use that as a check to keep teams from always trading away first rounders for cap purposes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Yeah, but still would be good to have a pick to dangle in a trade.
    Perhaps. I'm not really sold on that idea either, honestly.

If we're offering up a pick, that means we're taking back salary. UNLESS we trade pick 30 for two second round picks or something of that nature.

There is almost no situation in which it would be a good thing for the Pacers to trade a pick or an expiring contract in exchange for a non-expiring contract. Unless of course Herb Simon tells Larry to 'go for it' and allows us to operate above the tax for a year or two.