Thread: Hibbert and other NBA players Nutrition

Default Hibbert and other NBA players Nutrition

This past training camp, Hibbert showed up weighing 293 pounds. In the past two years since he's been eating meals with wholesome ingredients meticulously weighed and measured by his personal chef, Hibbert has added 150 pounds to his front squat. For the uninitiated, that's a lot; that's a me.

"He's the only client I've ever had who doesn't want an off day," Roussell said. "His birthday was [Wednesday], and I said, 'Take the day off.' And he said, 'Oh, no, no, no, I want food. I want to keep going. I'll do dinner, but I want to stay on the plan."

After tinkering with nutrient proportions, the plan for Hibbert is about 40 percent carbs, 30 percent proteins and 30 percent fats -- more moderate than the Lakers' program, which calls for 50 percent of calories to come from healthy fats.
    Some cool stuff, really shows alot of goes into keeping the body fresh.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hibbert and other NBA players Nutrition

The results Hibbert has obtained over the past few years are obvious and I assumed he was on a strict diet. I know these guys are professionals but the numbers surprise me a little. As much as he's bulking up I would have thought much higher on the protein and no more then 25% on the fat. Healthy fat or not that seems excessive. It's working for him though. I love Hibbert's level of dedication. You read where he was when he first went to college and he's a poster child for showing that a person can better themselves.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Part 1 is a great read. I dont tgink Dwight would have made it to 50 eating the wsy he was.

Only about 15% of lean muscle is made up of protein. Those obsessive protein requirements are just gimmicks pushed by greedy supplement companies. Mike Mentzer, one of the greatest bodybuilders ever, recommended a diet based mostly on carbohydrates. You need an excess of 160 calories to make one pound of muscle. So in theory, to gain 10 pound of lean muscle a year you need 1600 excess calories. These bulking diets and retarded schemes today just make me sick. You're gaining water and fat. That's why a majority of the big (albeit the naturally occurring ones) guys at my local gym look puffy and soft. Roy Hibbert's diet in terms of ratios are about on level with what I currently consume.

Getting bulky is mostly diet. You can bulk the natural way. Or you can take in obscene amounts of amino acids and proteins, with excess calories in the neighborhood of 4000-5000. I think Roy Hibbert is going the natural way. But that's what happens when you can afford a nutritionist.

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Man, I keep liking Hibbert more and more everyday! I loved the story about his agent intentionally dropping Hibbert in the draft so the Pacers could take him

Sports Logo

Two years and 35 pounds of lean muscle later thanks to a balanced diet that includes a massive 6,000 calories a day during the offseason
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Really 6000 isn't that much, unless its 365 days a year. I think Michael Phelps at like 11000 plus when training. And NFL players can gorge all day.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    Really 6000 isn't that much, unless its 365 days a year. I think Michael Phelps at like 11000 plus when training. And NFL players can gorge all day.
    How does one eat 11,000 calories a day? Did he combine eating with every freaking thing he did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

How does one eat 11,000 calories a day? Did he combine eating with every freaking thing he did?
    i read phelps' diet somewhere during the olympics. it was insane. he was on an episode of shaq's series. they went out to eat. shaq ordered the same with him. he was shocked phelps ate as much as him.

well found it. here it is:
    Breakfast: Three fried egg sandwiches; cheese; tomatoes; lettuce; fried onions; mayonnaise; three chocolate-chip pancakes; five-egg omelette; three sugar-coated slices of French toast; bowl of grits; two cups of coffee
    Lunch: Half-kilogram (one pound) of enriched pasta; two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise on white bread; energy drinks
    Dinner: Half-kilogram of pasta, with carbonara sauce; large pizza; energy drinks

You eat small(er) sized meals throughout the day, and instead of eating 3 meals, you eat 5-6.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

It's fascinating to see this. I love setting up people on macro based diets because that really drives the food selection to contain the right micronutrients.

It's why Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash (barely) and Jermaine O'Neal are still hanging around from that epic 1996 draft class, and No. 1 pick Allen Iverson is long gone.
    That speaks volumes right there. Just like training, the nutrition aspect needs to be spot on as well as the healing aspect. I'd be curious to see how much time players like Roy spend in whirlpools and similar "alternative" healing setups.

About the only thing I dislike is a "no" list. That's hard mentally to be told you can never eat this. A moderation list would be a better approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    It's fascinating to see this. I love setting up people on macro based diets because that really drives the food selection to contain the right micronutrients.

That speaks volumes right there. Just like training, the nutrition aspect needs to be spot on as well as the healing aspect. I'd be curious to see how much time players like Roy spend in whirlpools and similar "alternative" healing setups.

About the only thing I dislike is a "no" list. That's hard mentally to be told you can never eat this. A moderation list would be a better approach.
    I'm a huge diet guy when it comes to athletics. I think it's one of the single most important things in the world for athletes and would probably judge a prospect on his diet alone.

Think about it this way. This kid is about to be an over night millionaire. If he is more interested in candy bars than the shape of his body I'd sort of question his discipline and ability to avoid distractions for the bigger picture. Obviously, this isn't the only thing involved but I wonder sometimes how many GMs look into that sort of information when analyzing prospects.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Tinsley Chicken Fingers Diet not working?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I'm a huge diet guy when it comes to athletics. I think it's one of the single most important things in the world for athletes and would probably judge a prospect on his diet alone.

Think about it this way. This kid is about to be an over night millionaire. If he is more interested in candy bars than the shape of his body I'd sort of question his discipline and ability to avoid distractions for the bigger picture. Obviously, this isn't the only thing involved but I wonder sometimes how many GMs look into that sort of information when analyzing prospects.
    I couldn't agree more. I think it is so undervalued that it is mind boggling.

Fat is so undervalued in diets. I cringe when I hear people obsess over fat, as they're generally the people that seem to barely notice other, nutritionally worthless calories like sugars. Or worse, they opt for foods with artificial sweeteners that screw with your mind's natural ability to regulate hunger (congrats to Breaking Bad for weaving that into the story line)

Me personally, I've had no problems maintaining 6'2/170lbs build well into my 30's, with at least enough functional strength to do double-digit pullups, bench my body weight, dead lift almost 2x body weight (love that Hibbert posts those videos, motivational!), and still hustle down 100m in under 12s. My fat intake is easily 30%, and I love experimenting with different oils in cooking (peanut for deep frying, avocado for high temp stir fries, and of course olive oil is the basic staple). Speaking of which, I gorge on avocados, nuts, etc. Again, all high fat but totally healthy/raw/unprocessed goodness. For perspective, the total time per week I'm at the gym/specifically exercising is probably at or under 6 hours on average; meaning it's not a huge time commitment to exercise, you just need to not screw around when you're there.
    Last edited by indyaway; 12-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to indyaway For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

So Roy just makes Smothered Chicken, but doesn't eat it himself?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post: