Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Larry Bird interview with Mark Montieth 12/14/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Bird interview with Mark Montieth 12/14/2013

So much information I think my head is going to explode

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/q-and-larry-bird-2013

The photos of players from the Pacers teams he coached are framed but sitting on the floor in Larry Bird's office in Bankers Life Fieldhouse, nearly ready to be hung on the wall. Meanwhile, the players on the roster he's assembled are hanging atop the NBA standings, with a league-best 20-3 record.

Life, it would seem, is really good for Larry Bird right now. He can look back on NBA championships won as a player – three of them, in fact – a Coach of the Year award and mentor of the only Pacers team to reach the NBA Finals, an Executive of the Year award and, now, in his second run as team president, architect of one of the league's elite teams.

Bird sat down with Mark Montieth on Friday afternoon, before the Pacers' game with Charlotte, to discuss the intricacies of his team, his expectations for the team, his management style, and his future.

Q: Has this team exceeded your expectations?

Losing three games out of 22, yeah, I'd say they're doing a little better than I anticipated. Especially on the road. They're very focused. They are good. They're tied in together and for the most part they play unselfish. They're deep. I expect them to win a lot of games this year.

It's only a quarter of the way through the season, but do you feel you have the best team in the league? Or is there another team out there that might be better?

I don't know about the best team. We have the best record, but that will wash out at the end of the year. If I have an opportunity to make one more move, I'm going to make it.

I was going to ask if your roster is set.

It's never set. If you can do something that makes them better, you do it. Yesterday we went over every team and picked out some targets. We don't know what teams are going to do with a lot of their players. I'm not into making big trades, especially with our core group, but if we can pick up a player who can help us, we will do that.

What type of player would you be looking for?

I don't know.

So it's not to fill a specific need or position, just anything that's an improvement?

The thing we don't know is, what's Danny (Granger) going to bring to the team. That's something we'll have time to look at after he gets in there, to see what we need. And then we'll go after it.

How much difference can Danny make?

He can make a big difference. He's looking pretty good. He's healthy. He feels like he's healthy. We won't know until he plays day after day after day. The knee has never been tested. He says it feels good, but that doesn't mean it's going to last. All indications are that he's going to be ready to go in a very short time. But I don't want Danny to go out there until he's ready. You're never ready to play until you're out there. But he's pretty rusty. I don't want him to get him out there and everybody's expecting great things. But I want him to be in some kind of shape before he goes out.

He had talked earlier in the week like he would go on Friday. Did you discourage him from playing?

I haven't talked to Danny, but I did talk to (coach Frank Vogel). I think we came to the conclusion that it's better to let him practice a little more. We do have time here. Get him as much practice time as we can and knock off some of the rust. Test the leg a little bit, test the knee, because he hasn't had that.

Lance Stephenson has been an interesting story. When you drafted him, it was in the midst of all the local uproar over players' behavior off the court. He had had some issues. How much hesitation did you have about taking him?

I didn't have any. When he was there, I took the best player available. He was by far the best player. I thought he'd go in the first round. You worry about some things, but I knew some of the guys we brought in could really help him. We were committed to doing the most we possibly could to focus on him because of the talent .When we got him here we could see he was a good kid, but we had a lot of work to do, and we're still working. This year, I haven't really talked to Lance that much. I used to talk to him all the time. Because he's made such a positive jump.

He also had a legal issue come up after the draft. Were you ever tempted to cut ties then?

No, we didn't. I talked to Lance about all of it. The first year, I told him to stay away from the practice facility all summer. Because (the incident) happened right after the draft. I just said, 'Hey, if you're going to do that, we don't want you around here. You think about, then when the summer's about over you can come back. You think about it. We're not dealing with that stuff.'

Is it fair to say you have a soft spot for guys like him, who come up in a ...

I never thought I did, but obviously if you look at the past … they're all good kids. I was young once and made a lot of mistakes. I believe in second chances; I always have. I really don't believe in third or fourth chances, but I'll do my best to help whoever I can. If they're willing to help themselves.

Donnie Walsh once said you like the guy-from-out-of-nowhere story. You liked Ron Artest, and some other guys who had been in some trouble. It does seem you have a desire to try to help guys if you can.

That's my job. Even when I was a player I tried to help kids. You only have one shot at this, you don't want to throw it all away on immaturity or something stupid. But I do believe in second chances. It's tough sometimes to hang in there with some of these guys, but if they do make the change they make the franchise better. That's all I'm worried about, doing my best for the franchise.

Is it an underdog thing? You want to support the guy who didn't get the breaks?

I got a lot of breaks when I was young. People gave me second chances. But I do understand this is a one-shot deal. A lot of these kids have children. How are they going to support them if they're not playing basketball? A lot of us don't have opportunities to go out there and make millions of dollars doing other things. It's a one-shot deal.

The question that gets asked the most by fans now is, how do you keep Lance? Are you confident you can re-sign Lance? That you'll have the money to do it?

I never worry about that. If Lance isn't here, we'll plug somebody else in. Obviously I think this is the best situation for Lance. I worry about if Lance leaves here. This environment is absolutely perfect for him. Players know his little games. Lance is always energetic. He's always at another level. He likes to mess around in practice. Guys understand that here. It's not a bad thing, he's just energetic. He wants to go 100 miles an hour every time. Lance falls on the court and acts like he's been shot. Guys will walk by and tell him to get up. So this is the best environment for Lance.

I don't know what's going to happen this summer. We want to keep him and he wants to be here. This is the best environment for him. We will make him a great offer, an offer that I think is very fair. If you look at our books, how does anyone know what's going to happen in the summer. How do they know we're not going to make trades or have more money or less money. We will try to sign Lance, but I don't worry about it. If Lance is not here, we'll get somebody else.

David West has been such an obvious influence on this team, in the locker room and on the court. What did you tell him to convince him to come here? Because he could have gone to Boston for more money.

Years ago, Donnie told me you're going to be sitting here one of these days and somebody's going to call, either for a trade or a free agent, and they're going to want to be here. We talked to David's agent, but we didn't spend a lot of time on it because we were looking at other players. One day I was sitting here and got a call from his agent and he said, 'Hey, why aren't you guys going after David a little harder? Because he wants to be there.' I said, 'We're talking about it every day, but I'm very concerned because he's coming off a significant (knee) injury.' He goes, 'We'll do whatever to show you that he's ready to play. He hasn't played a lot of basketball. But we feel he's ready to go.'

Knowing that type of injury usually takes about a year to get back, I said, 'Will he fly out to Boston to see (team physical therapist) Dan Dyrek, as well as our team doctor? If Dan gives him the OK, we're very interested.' So he did that, and we signed him.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Yeah, patience. You have to have thick skin and you have to know what direction you want to go. When I talked with my owner (Herb Simon), I told him what I wanted to do. Out of everybody, the most important guy who stuck with me through all of this ... happened to be our owner. It didn't matter what anybody else said. It didn't matter to me. But once I told Herb what I wanted to do, he was behind me. Now, I'm not saying when he left he didn't tell people, 'I don't know if it's going to work or not,' but when I talked to him he was 100 percent behind me. And that's all I needed. I took my time and obviously we got lucky in the draft. We took some guys who we thought could really help the team and they were hard workers. It's paid off for us.

Getting George Hill was big for us. Even though we knew that the young man we gave up (Kawhi Leonard), who I was going to draft, was going to be very, very good. But at that position, I thought we were pretty well set. So we needed a guy who could lead the team. George isn't a pure point guard, but I played with a guy who wasn't a pure point guard in Dennis Johnson. If I didn't play with Dennis Johnson, I probably wouldn't have made that deal. I played with a two-guard who played point guard, and we did fine. And he did fine.

He and Lance seem to go well together, because Lance is kind of a point guard. They're both hybrids.

Lance can play point guard. The coaches don't think so, nobody else does, but I think Lance can play point guard. He can make plays. As he gets older and matures as a player he'll be even better. But he can make plays, he can find George on the wings. I always say, in this league you need two guys who can handle the ball at guard. They both can do that.

Looking back now the period you went through in building the team, how difficult was it? You were taking a lot of criticism. Newspaper columnists, radio people were saying, 'If he wasn't Larry Bird, he would have been fired by now.'

After Donnie left, the first thing I did was trade Jermaine O'Neal. I thought that was huge. Even getting the 17th pick really helped us. I didn't really worry about that. I knew it was going to be difficult. The day that Donnie left, I said, 'This is going to be my biggest challenge, to make all the decisions and get the type of team that I want here. It's going to be tough.' People love to go after individuals they don't think can get the job done. I was no different. You have to be tough and you have to be focused and driven. My goal was to get a team here in Indianapolis that fans could be proud of.

It seems like it was the first chance for people to take shots at Larry Bird. Nobody could say much about you as a player or coach, but now there was a chance to go after Larry Bird.

That's fine. I don't care about that. As a coach it's well documented that I had two great assistant coaches. I ain't going to sit here and say that I did all that myself. I sort of managed the team. Rick (Carlisle) was the offensive guy and Dick (Harter) was (the defensive guy). But it's like I told Frank, somebody's got to manage these guys. You can not let these guys be in the locker room making decisions about how they're going to play the game and who's going to take the shots. Anytime you have fires in the locker room, you have to put them out. You have to be on top of things. My job as a coach was to make sure they're in shape, make all the decisions about what time we're going to practice and how hard we're going to practice. Even as a coach, I told the guys, if I see what I want that day, we'll end practice. You can be here an hour or all day long. I have nothing to do. It was more a managing standpoint than a coaching standpoint. Everybody knows the Xs and Os. From the defensive standpoint it's different. If you're going to be good, you have to guard.

My thing is patience. You have to wait on players, sometimes. You have to get the right fit. It's like Rick Carlisle said, you don't want all milk drinkers. I believe that. But you don't want guys that get in trouble. You don't want them 5 o'clock phone calls (about players violating the law). It hurt me as much as it hurt our fan base. I was in the middle of all this. But once I took over, I felt there were some things that needed to be changed. But I wasn't going to be drastic in all this. It was going to be a process. I thought I could get it done in three years and that's about what it took.

Is there anything you learned in the years since you started in this role? Are there things you wish you could go back and do differently?

No question. There's so many, I don't want to get into them. There's so many. Early on, I was behind Donnie and we talked everything out. But being the sole decision-maker is a whole different ballgame. It's like being an assistant coach and moving up to head coach. But I had a plan and we stuck with it, and it worked. And we got lucky. I ain't going to say I knew we was going to get Roy. The day I walked down to the draft room (in 2010), it was between Ed Davis and Paul George. My owner kept asking me who I was taking, and I was still debating. But when it came down to it, you had to take the young, talented guy with a lot of length. If you watched Paul George in college it was scary, because he shot a lot of air balls, he took a lot of bad shots, he turned the ball over at a high rate. But he's long, athletic, he shot 90 percent from the foul line and he can guard.

It's amazing to think a guy who was second-team all-conference as a sophomore enters the draft and becomes the 10th pick and then has this kind of career. It was a gamble for you.

Yeah, but basketball-wise, he hadn't matured yet as a player. He still hasn't. But he got better. He's a worker. We did our background checks. He loved to play. He would work. He wants to be good. It's completely different between him and Lance. Lance's got the ability, you just have to slow him down a little bit. Paul's got to keep working to get better.

It seems like one of the advantages this team has, other than Lance, none of them came up five-star recruits or big-time players. David West had to go to a military academy before going to Xavier and wasn't a big deal coming out of high school. George Hill goes to IUPUI. Roy was awkward growing up. Paul George wasn't highly recruited until the end of his senior year. It seems like that all works to your advantage now, because there's a lack of ego.

It goes to show you that hard work does pay off. I can remember watching Roy as a sophomore in college. I also knew Roy as a junior. If he had come out, he probably would have been a top 12 pick. And then he had a better senior year. Why is he No. 17 all of a sudden? I remember talking to his agent and telling him, if Roy's there at 17 I'm taking him. He goes, I'll get Roy there. If you take him, I'll get him there.

How does an agent do that?

Just tell other teams not to take him. But he told me the day of the draft, 'OK, he will be there at 17.' I said, 'I'm taking him.'

It's amazing that a 7-foot-2 guy with any skills would drop to 17.

You never know. You never know how these guys are going to turn out. I thought Shawne Williams (who Bird drafted with the 17th pick in 2006) was going to be a great, great player. I thought he was going to fit in perfectly as a stretch four. But it didn't pan out. If he panned out, it would have been pretty amazing.

Is this the best defensive team you've been around?

They're really good. It's amazing what Dick Harter did with the team. If you look at what we had, I thought with Dick we blitzed a little too much (defending pick-and-rolls) and we got Rik (Smits) out of position sometimes. But if somebody messed up, everybody on the bench knew who it was. But we had smart players. That team was smart. They were off-the-charts with basketball IQ. Dale Davis ... people always asked why we would have him take the ball out. I said, 'He'll eat it before he throws it away.' You never seen him make turnovers. Their basketball IQ was off the charts.

But defensively, this team is the best I've seen.

The other question that comes up so often is how long you'll stay in this role now.

I ain't worrying about that. Obviously, when you're going good you feel good and you like it. I definitely needed a year off. I was burnt out. I was hurting. Donnie was sitting there (available). He loves it. So it was easy. Did I think I was going to come back? I didn't know. I really didn't know.

I never understood why you wouldn't come back. Wouldn't you be bored if you weren't working?

No. I tell you, I was pretty content. The thing that got me was when other teams started calling. It sort of fired me up a little bit. I never really gave Donnie or anyone an answer until Herbie called me one day. That day, I was a little bored. He said, with his age, he wanted to make a run for it. Just about all the guys here were our guys. Let's make a run for it and see what we can do. If you're not doing anything, why not? Once I found out we had a little bit of money this summer and were probably going to sign Paul George without waiting to match an offer and all that, I was set to come back. Once I told him that, he called back the next day and said, 'I want you in the office next week.' And I'm not going to start paying you until July 1. (laughs)

Are you glad you did?

Well ... yeah, I'm pretty content. But I was pretty happy last year, too. I feel better. When you feel good you can do anything.

I did miss it a little bit. But coming back knowing most of these guys were my guys and we were going to be able to do what we wanted to do made it easier. We just had to tinker with the bench a little bit.

How much is Donnie involved now in your decision-making?

You have to have one decision-maker. I understood that from working with him. But do I go down there and ask him questions a lot? Yeah. Is Kevin (Pritchard) and Peter (Dinwiddie) involved big-time? Yes.

Donnie told me one time, 'Bird, I'm glad you're here.' I thought he was just saying that to be nice. He said, 'I'm glad you're here, because I really have nobody to talk basketball with.' I know what he meant. I've been through it. Donnie's been through it. It's been our life. That's the same way I felt when Donnie left. I had nobody. So I called him up one day in New York, I said, 'Donnie, I finally get it. I have no one here that I can talk basketball with.' That's tough. Then when Kevin came on board, he's an old basketball player and he understands the game inside and out, it made it so much easier. It was so easy. Then Peter, he's never really played it, but he's very sharp. Peter's the guy who comes in here (to talk about a trade) and says, 'What about this and this for this?' You're sitting there going, 'Wow! Pretty good.' Then we've got to make it happen. But having Kevin Pritchard here has been a godsend for me. He's been in basketball all his life. He's been the head of a team. He turned a team around. Then you go next door on the other side and you've got Donnie Walsh.

But they know I'll make the decisions. It's like this summer, I knew what I wanted to do when I got here. Then I tell Kevin who I want and he goes and gets them. It's pretty simple.

I've told Donnie a couple of times how happy I am that he's here, because this is a special team. We've had our ups and downs, but last year when he took over again I told him, 'I tell you what, Donnie, you're going to love these guys. They're not going to come over every day and talk to you, but you're going to love them. They're good kids and they want to win. They care.' They want to be here. It's like me, I don't go down and talk to these kids every day. I don't say a lot to them, because when I was a player I didn't want people in the front office bothering me. They're sort of there own little group. I'm the last guy who needs to be in there patting them on the back telling them how great they are. I said at the beginning of the season when we had our dinner what I thought of each individual and what I thought they could do this year. They don't need to hear it every day.

Did you tell them they can win a championship?

I don't bring up championships. I tell them I know how good they are and what they can accomplish as a group and what kind of guys they are. I know they're in it for each other. I have nothing to do with it now. I got you all together, but it's up to you to make things happen. But I know this is one of the better teams we've ever had here. I knew that going in, with the additions we made this summer. It's pretty easy to see, being around it all my life, that these guys are good. They're good. They're going to have games where they don't play as well, there are going to be some teams come in here that beat them that shouldn't beat them. But overall, they're going to win a majority of their games. It's just a given. Did I think they were going to beat New Orleans (in the second game, the night after the opener against Orlando). I told Frank a month before the season, gear for New Orleans now. Because you're going to get (beat) when you go down there (if you're not ready). And Detroit's going to knock your *** off if you're not ready to play against them. I thought early on they passed some tests that I thought was going to be very difficult for them. As each game goes on, they're getting better and better.

I know they're good. I know they are. Can they win it all? I don't know. But they're good. I give them credit. They are what I thought they could be.

I tell people all the time it's the best locker room I've ever been around. It's the most mature team I've been around. Do you feel that way?

It's the best group of guys you could ever have. Years ago, we'd get two or three-hundred thousand dollars a year in fine money (from players). Now, if you get $20,000 a year ... I said you guys are killing these charities around here. I get a call the other day about a player who was late two times in a month. I said, 'Come on, man, if that's all you're worried about, don't call up here.' It's amazing. They'll be here in the locker room, but they're supposed to be taped at a certain time, and if not they're fined. And we still don't have that. It's pretty amazing. They're tied in. They know what they're supposed to do. Even last year … that's why I told Donnie, 'You've never seen nothing like this, Donnie.' It's been easy.

Do you feel like this team has a certain window as a championship contender? I guess in my mind I think David West has three years left on his contract, so you have at least three years as a championship contender.

You never know the injuries. They always play a major role. I always feel if you lose somebody you just put somebody else in there. We don't want to lose anybody, because this team is together. They'll stay together. They're tied in. I don't know what the window will be. But like I tell Donnie and Kevin, we've got to enjoy this year. Because they're good. And they're going to win a lot of games.

They're obviously good enough defensively to win a championship. Are there certain things on offense you worry about?

You can nit-pick them all day. But when the going gets tough, they're pretty good. Sometimes they dribble too much. If you watched the first half of Miami the other night and how they (the Heat) were moving the ball … if we ever got to that point, we could score a lot more points. I'm a big believer in taking it from side to side. You don't have to get a shot up in the first 10 seconds. I think we start our offense too far out. And we don't get into a play until 13 or 14 seconds, and that hurts us. It's all stuff that can be fixed. If they go back and watch Miami and the ball movement, they were picking us apart. That's the way the ball has to move if you're going to be a championship contender every year.

Is there anything left you want to accomplish? Not in this role, but in life?

This is my life. This is what I do. I've been fortunate to be involved in it for more than 30 years. I don't know what else I want to accomplish, but while I'm here I want to accomplish great things. I want to win a championship as bad as anybody else here, but it's like Slick (Leonard) always says, You've got to get there first. So lets' try to get (to the Finals), and then it's up to the players.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-14-2013, 11:59 PM.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Re: Larry Bird interview with Mark Montieth 12/14/2013

Interesting. I think a possible move could be a better starting PG than Hill, or a better back up than Ian. I wonder what PG's are currently available better than GH? Lou Williams would be a good get. But Atlanta will want something heavy back.

Comment

That was a fantastic read, thanks for posting. I'm so glad he's back. So much in that article, where to begin? I thought there were a couple of interesting quotes which make it pretty clear that he was definitely behind Walsh in the pecking order from 03-08:

After Donnie left, the first thing I did was trade Jermaine O'Neal. I thought that was huge. Even getting the 17th pick really helped us. I didn't really worry about that. I knew it was going to be difficult. The day that Donnie left, I said, 'This is going to be my biggest challenge, to make all the decisions and get the type of team that I want here. It's going to be tough.' People love to go after individuals they don't think can get the job done. I was no different. You have to be tough and you have to be focused and driven. My goal was to get a team here in Indianapolis that fans could be proud of.

and...

No question. There's so many, I don't want to get into them. There's so many. Early on, I was behind Donnie and we talked everything out. But being the sole decision-maker is a whole different ballgame. It's like being an assistant coach and moving up to head coach. But I had a plan and we stuck with it, and it worked. And we got lucky. I ain't going to say I knew we was going to get Roy. The day I walked down to the draft room (in 2010), it was between Ed Davis and Paul George. My owner kept asking me who I was taking, and I was still debating. But when it came down to it, you had to take the young, talented guy with a lot of length. If you watched Paul George in college it was scary, because he shot a lot of air balls, he took a lot of bad shots, he turned the ball over at a high rate. But he's long, athletic, he shot 90 percent from the foul line and he can guard.

-----------------------

I know that issue has been debated to death over the years, but these new quotes from Bird himself are interesting. Clearly this was still Walsh's show all the way up until 2008.

Regardless, I'm glad that Bird's vision worked so brilliantly. He is one of the most important non-players in this franchise's history. He's the only coach to ever take us to the NBA Finals, and now he has constructed this brilliant roster which has as great of a chance at winning a title as any team in Pacer history. I know that the Pacers are in great hands with the Legend. And I'm glad that he seems to be feeling better physically.

Comment

I love the inside story in how he got West and Roy, I also love that he is looking at other teams players.
        @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

I think it's awesome how West had his eyes on the Pacers. Clearly we got his attention when we gave Chicago that series. And he knew that he was exactly what we needed: a strong veteran presence for the young players.

We got lucky that guys like PG and Hibbs fell to us, but we also deserve plenty of credit for picking them when other teams passed. Clearly we had our eyes on the right players.

Comment

That might be the best and most honest interview from Larry ever. He's usually pretty honest but this is something else. I agree, the stories on getting DWest and Roy are very interesting. DWest really wanted to be here instead of Boston...even more than we may have initially thought. And Roy obviously wanted to be here if his agent was telling other teams not to take him. Larry Legend is nothing short of an absolute basketball genius.

Comment

Great interview. Love hearing this kind of stuff. Other than the Roy and West stories, I think it's very interesting to hear what they thought of PG24 going into the draft.
              It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacerfan View Post
                That might be the best and most honest interview from Larry ever. He's usually pretty honest but this is something else. I agree, the stories on getting DWest and Roy are very interesting. DWest really wanted to be here instead of Boston...even more than we may have initially thought. And Roy obviously wanted to be here if his agent was telling other teams not to take him. Larry Legend is nothing short of an absolute basketball genius.

Celtics age cost them 2 big pieces. But also cost us Rondo. Pacers, Hornets, and Celtics had a deal where Rondo goes to Indy, CP3 goes to Boston, and pieces from Indy go to NO. But CP3 vetoed it because the Celtics were an aging squad and he didn't wanna be there. West chose us over them for the very same reason. Indy was young and on the rise, Celtics were old and on the decline.

Comment

"Dale Davis ... people always asked why we would have him take the ball out. I said, 'He'll eat it before he throws it away.' "

I lol'd at this part.

Larry is a good interview, and I hope he's sincere in looking at other players and is critical of Danny. He seems like he's willing to pull the trigger on a deal if it'll help win a title if he doesn't see progress in Danny. (the only real tradeable guy the Pacers would possibly deal)

The one thing I would've liked to have seen him talk about is Scola/trading Plumlee, and how he truly has felt now that he's seen him succeed a little in Phoenix.
                  "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus Jax View Post
                    "Dale Davis ... people always asked why we would have him take the ball out. I said, 'He'll eat it before he throws it away.' "

I lol'd at this part.

Larry is a good interview, and I hope he's sincere in looking at other players and is critical of Danny. He seems like he's willing to pull the trigger on a deal if it'll help win a title if he doesn't see progress in Danny. (the only real tradeable guy the Pacers would possibly deal)

The one thing I would've liked to have seen him talk about is Scola/trading Plumlee, and how he truly has felt now that he's seen him succeed a little in Phoenix.

Yeah, I don't think that Bird will let sentimental feelings get in the way of anything. He has been around this business for a long time now. He saw plenty of guys come and go as Celtics, then he saw the Pacers trade the popular Antonio Davis when he was coach. If Bird feels that there is a deal for Granger that makes sense for the Pacers, then he will absolutely do it.

Comment

Montieth is good at his job
                      "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Comment

So much good stuff in that interview. Wow. I'm gonna have to re-read that later and digest it some more.

I love the fact that Roy's agent made him slip in the draft in order to get picked up by the Pacers. I thought agents only tried to move their guy up. That's really awesome.

I thought his assurance about Lance next year was pretty amazing. "If Lance leaves, we'll plug somebody else in." But on and on about how this was the best place for Lance to be.

Also interesting to hear the comparisons between George Hill and Dennis Johnson.
                        This space for rent.

Comment

This quote doesn't tell me that he plans on trading Granger, perhaps the opposite. "The thing we don't know is, what's Danny (Granger) going to bring to the team. That's something we'll have time to look at after he gets in there, to see what we need. And then we'll go after it."
                          Why do teams tank? Ask a Spurs fan.

Comment

Another thing: in light of the recurring "Gotta have a top-5 pick" conversation, it's interesting that Bird sees the lower picks as an important part of the team's identity.
                            This space for rent.

Comment

Probably the best Pacers interview I've ever read.

I too like the comparison between Hill and DJ and believe Bird's assessment was spot on. I also appreciated his candidness regarding Lance.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X