Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird interview with Mark Montieth 12/14/2013

Default Re: Larry Bird interview with Mark Montieth 12/14/2013

Hearing Birds reminds me why I am a Pacers fan at the first place.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That interview was very interesting. I loved the West signing and wanted him more than Nene. Reading that he was trying hard to come here made me appreciate the signing even more. Learning what happens behind the closed doors is so interesting. I'd love to be an NBA GM.

What I like about this team is that they seem to care about one another and try hard every day whether its a game or practice and still have fun with it.

Learning how all Hibbert's agent had to do was tell the other teams not to draft him so he could come here is really interesting and threw me off because I didn't know agents had that kind of power.
    Last edited by KingGeorge_24; 12-15-2013 at 03:30 AM.
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge_24 For This Useful Post:

After Donnie left, the first thing I did was trade Jermaine O'Neal. I thought that was huge. Even getting the 17th pick really helped us.
    The written word is a wonder to behold at times. These three sentences can be viewed by several different people and we can have several different interpretations of what they mean.

I just find it funny he chose to point this out.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great read!!

That is definitely the best Bird interview I have ever read. He seemed to know Leonard would be good. Pretty sure Paul would be good. But not so much Roy?...and that he felt he got lucky? I think the entire known basketball world would have to agree.

The quote on Lance being a PG was interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by Montieth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He and Lance seem to go well together, because Lance is kind of a point guard. They're both hybrids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Lance can play point guard. The coaches don't think so, nobody else does, but I think Lance can play point guard.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    That is definitely the best Bird interview I have ever read. He seemed to know Leonard would be good. Pretty sure Paul would be good. But not so much Roy?...and that he felt he got lucky? I think the entire known basketball world would have to agree.

He later says, once Lance becomes more mature and slow the game down, he will become better. For now the coaches are waiting until that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

If memory serves the closest guy Bird ever played with who was a "pure" point guard was an aging Nate Archibald. DJ, Gerald Henderson, Dee Brown etc. were all versatile guys who could play off the ball and were comfortable letting the offense funnel through Bird on the wing and through McHale/Parrish in the post.

He isn't going to look at point guards like most basketball coaches or fans. I'm sure he sees Lance as a guy who can thrive much like those guys operating next to elite wing player and playing off a good post game.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    If memory serves the closest guy Bird ever played with who was a "pure" point guard was an aging Nate Archibald. DJ, Gerald Henderson, Dee Brown etc. were all versatile guys who could play off the ball and were comfortable letting the offense funnel through Bird on the wing and through McHale/Parrish in the post.

He isn't going to look at point guards like most basketball coaches or fans. I'm sure he sees Lance as a guy who can thrive much like those guys operating next to elite wing player and playing off a good post game.
    He speaks from experience. He knows a good PG when he sees one...because his arch rival was Magic Johnson. Magic wasn't a prototypical PG either being 6'9". But as Bird said about Lance, he can make plays. That is what Magic Johnson did. He could get the ball in the hands of players who could easily score with it. THAT is Lance's greatest natural basketball gift. Legend sees that in Lance and recognizes it. Not saying Lance Stephenson is Magic Johnson, but there are some similarities. Lance is really a poor man's LeBron James if he's anything and LeBron has a fair amount of Magic in him.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    The written word is a wonder to behold at times. These three sentences can be viewed by several different people and we can have several different interpretations of what they mean.

I just find it funny he chose to point this out.

It makes it seem like he would have tried to trade J.O. years earlier if it had been up to him.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    So much good stuff in that interview. Wow. I'm gonna have to re-read that later and digest it some more.

I love the fact that Roy's agent made him slip in the draft in order to get picked up by the Pacers. I thought agents only tried to move their guy up. That's really awesome.

I thought his assurance about Lance next year was pretty amazing. "If Lance leaves, we'll plug somebody else in." But on and on about how this was the best place for Lance to be.

Also interesting to hear the comparisons between George Hill and Dennis Johnson.
    Agents want their player to go to the best fit. the place their player will earn a 2nd contract. I would say Rasho was a big incentive to the pacer camp. We had no competition on the roster.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Bird is the goose that is laying the golden egg right now...
    LOL!!! Love it, gave me good laugh. Can't get too many of them these days.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Could you imagine if we drafted Ed Davis instead of PG?
    On the Lance bandwagon

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post

Could you imagine if we drafted Ed Davis instead of PG?

I try my best not even imagine about it! I never cared for Ed Davis in the draft. I was a draft Paul George person, even over Butler's Indiana grown Gordon H.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

owl

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I try my best not even imagine about it! I never cared for Ed Davis in the draft. I was a draft Paul George person, even over Butler's Indiana grown Gordon H.
    If I remember right there was a poll on here that heavily favored the Pacers drafting Paul. That outcome was due mostly to Thunderbird's draft breakdown.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

I still think Larry wants Jamal Crawford, OJ Mayo, and a few other players. LA won't trade Crawford now, but he's a FA next Summer. Mayo I am pretty sure wants out of Milwaukee. But his contract is yeesh.

Mood

Another thing I thought was interesting was his critique of the offense. Seems to me that if he wanted to see a change made, he could walk into practice or call Vogel into the office and fix it. I know he always says he doesn't want to interfere in that way, but I've never heard him openly critique the team or schemes or anything like that.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It makes it seem like he would have tried to trade J.O. years earlier if it had been up to him.
    Or maybe even had kept Brad Miller and let San Antonio pay JO all that money.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Or maybe even had kept Brad Miller and let San Antonio pay JO all that money.
    No, Bird was on board with signing Jermaine. All he had to do was fire Zeke a week earlier and Jermaine would have gone to San Antonio.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Pacer fans owe "Herbie" a huge thanks.

THANK YOU MR. SIMON!!!

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Yeah, patience.
    Worth repeating. Actually the whole thing is. Great interview. Love the candidness of it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Donnie told me one time, 'Bird, I'm glad you're here.' I thought he was just saying that to be nice. He said, 'I'm glad you're here, because I really have nobody to talk basketball with.' I know what he meant. I've been through it. Donnie's been through it. It's been our life. That's the same way I felt when Donnie left. I had nobody. So I called him up one day in New York, I said, 'Donnie, I finally get it. I have no one here that I can talk basketball with.' That's tough. Then when Kevin came on board, he's an old basketball player and he understands the game inside and out, it made it so much easier. It was so easy. Then Peter, he's never really played it, but he's very sharp. Peter's the guy who comes in here (to talk about a trade) and says, 'What about this and this for this?' You're sitting there going, 'Wow! Pretty good.' Then we've got to make it happen. But having Kevin Pritchard here has been a godsend for me. He's been in basketball all his life. He's been the head of a team. He turned a team around. Then you go next door on the other side and you've got Donnie Walsh.
    Was reading this article again. This explains why David Morway was let go in 2012 in favor of Pritchard.

Morway was probably good at what he did, but Bird wanted a basketball mind as his right hand man.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Was reading this article again. This explains why David Morway was let go in 2012 in favor of Pritchard.

Morway was probably good at what he did, but Bird wanted a basketball mind as his right hand man.
    I was under the impression Bird didn't like Morway's negotiating tactics. It was Morway that messed up an already agreed trade with Memphis (McRoberts for Mayo) by going back and trying to get more.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Worth repeating. Actually the whole thing is. Great interview. Love the candidness of it.

Yes, I know that most of this board was ready to explode in 2010 because of the lack of improvement on the court, but the smartest thing Bird ever did was patiently let the contracts of Dunleavy and Ford expire in 2011. That, combined with the fact that we no longer owed Tinsley any money and were able to amnesty Posey, meant that we had cap space in 2011 to sign West. Also, it gave us some flexibility when we had to re-sign Hibbert and Hill in 2012. Bird was able to get a great deal for Murphy, but obviously no such deal ever came along for Dunleavy and Ford. I'm so glad that he didn't panic and trade them for an average player with a long contract.

When Bird took complete control in 2008, the goal was to draft well for a three year period before getting to 2011 when the franchise would finally be free of the hideous Murphy/Dunleavy contracts that were weighing us down. He hit a few out of the park (Hibbert, PG, Lance), drafted reasonably "OK" players with other picks (Rush, Hansbrough), and flipped a first rounder for a vet who could show the young guys a few things about professionalism (Hill). The icing on the cake was using the new cap space on a strong veteran in D-West who showed the young guys a thing or two about professionalism, toughness, and winning. We obviously got lucky that guys like Hibbert and PG fell to us, but the overall plan was a brilliantly executed patient strategic vision.

Bird could write the book on how a team can rescue itself with patience and draft picks. I like his way far better than that of the Knicks or Nets. Those two franchises treat draft picks as if they are some sort of rare disease. They throw future picks away for the likes of freaking Andrea Bargani. Screw that. Yes, the Pacers traded a first rounder for Scola, but we are 100% certain that will be an end of the round pick. The Knicks OTOH traded a 2016 for Bagani, something that could wind up being pretty high.

Completely nuking your team to create cap space works if you are able to lure Lebron and Bosh to play with Wade, but that's not going to happen much. The Knicks nuked their team over that same time period, but how has it worked out for them? It turned them around at first with Amar'e as he helped them win a lot of games, but he's a fossil at this point. Then they traded for Melo and signed Chandler, which again helped them win games, but how did their strategy work as far as playoff success is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I was under the impression Bird didn't like Morway's negotiating tactics. It was Morway that messed up an already agreed trade with Memphis (McRoberts for Mayo) by going back and trying to get more.
    Give more. He tried to add Brandon Rush, and Memphis was trying to dump salary.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

These are my favorite quotes (all Larry's):

Lance falls on the court and acts like he's been shot. Guys will walk by and tell him to get up. So this is the best environment for Lance.

I was set to come back. Once I told him that, he called back the next day and said, 'I want you in the office next week.' And I'm not going to start paying you until July 1. (laughs)

I said you guys are killing these charities around here. I get a call the other day about a player who was late two times in a month. I said, 'Come on, man, if that's all you're worried about, don't call up here.' It's amazing.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post: