Thread: Scoop Jackson (after preseason): Pacers could be "one of the most underachieving teams in history."

Default Scoop Jackson (after preseason): Pacers could be "one of the most underachieving teams in history."

I know the new rules don't allow us to make fun of people for past mistakes, but this is golden.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/98...at-tough-usurp

Which brings us to the Indiana Pacers. The Pacers were supposed to be on everyone's short list of Eastern Conference teams to possibly stop the Heat from making it to the Finals. Then, an 0-5 start to the preseason – before winning the final three games -- has everyone, outside of the 317 area code, backtracking.

Yes, Larry Bird has returned to his rightful place as president of basketball operations. Until the organization makes a concrete decision on what it's going to do with -- or without -- Danny Granger this season, the Pacers could be the team that is to 2013-14 what the Lakers were to the 2012-13 season: one of the most underachieving in history.
    That's awesome. At least he owns it, referring to himself as "some fool."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...g-keep-winning

And some fool had the nerve to write in an NBA preview that this team could end up being "one of the most underachieving teams in [NBA] history."
    That whole second article is pretty great, actually.
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-14-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Scoop Jackson (after preseason): Pacers could be "one of the most underachieving teams in history."

I'm sure I have a post on here somewhere claiming Ike Diogu would be perennial 20-10 stud at PF. Of course, we now see he's 30 years old and in the NBDL:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/bakersfie...013_12_12.html
    Source NBA.com
    Author: not listed

Edit: to keep on topic, I will say the Pacers are probably achieving more than I had expected. Paul, Lance, Scola and CJ being the key upgrades from last year.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-14-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Default Re: Scoop Jackson (after preseason): Pacers could be "one of the most underachieving teams in history."

For clarification, that rule is in regards to posters calling out other posters, not for things like this.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

For clarification, that rule is in regards to posters calling out other posters, not for things like this.
    I know. Just making jokes.

Mediots are always fair game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So how is Chicago's preseason championship working out for them? I was disappointed how we played in preseason, but I also had to take for what it was worth, it was preseason. Heck the Colts use to lose about every preseason game and then win most of them when the real season started.

Sure glad the preseason was no preview of what this Pacer team is all about!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I know. Just making jokes.

Mediots are always fair game.
    Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Looks like Scoop's impressed!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care what sport it is. You never grade a team based on its preseason performance. In 2006, the Colts won zero preseason games. You're right, they won the Super Bowl the following February.

But anyway, if anyone on here says the Pacers aren't overachieving right now you are a liar.

20-3 (that's on pace for 67 wins), best record in the league, 9.5 game lead in the division, 3 game lead in the conference, went 4-2 on a brutal west coast trip capped with Miami at home.

Oh, and that one guy named Danny Granger? Yeah him, who led the team in scoring for five straight years. He hasn't played a minute yet. Nor has he needed to.

The Pacers are massively overachieving. And I love it. But we're just past 1/4 of the way. Have to keep in mind that all that matters is A) make the playoffs and B) win your last game
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

It seems to me we have two things that could derail us. One of course being injuries, and two, some other contender trading for a difference maker, like Detroit getting Wallace a few years ago.

[QUOTE=mitchbr;1751912]
    But anyway, if anyone on here says the Pacers aren't overachieving right now you are a liar.

I hope you meant "in your opinion"

20-3 (that's on pace for 67 wins), best record in the league, 9.5 game lead in the division, 3 game lead in the conference, went 4-2 on a brutal west coast trip capped with Miami at home.

I think it would be 71 wins

This to is just my opinion.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

Knick Fan

Mood

We'll try and have Scoop on Grady & Joe this week. We had him on early in the season and he was impressed then. Can only imagine what he'll have to say after beating San Antonio and Miami.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    We'll try and have Scoop on Grady & Joe this week. We had him on early in the season and he was impressed then. Can only imagine what he'll have to say after beating San Antonio and Miami.
    And the over/under on the cheek dials?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    And the over/under on the cheek dials?
    Depends on how many segments. If he does just 1, I'll set the over/under at 7. That's what he had last time.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Judging a team based on preseason is like judging a team based on the color of their uniform.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I believe I predicted a pre-season of 3-5 and at the summer meet I was talking 60-63 win range PRIOR to the Scola deal, meaning that I didn't find the idea of a dud pre-season paired with a great season to be abnormal in the least.

Add to this that they traveled to Asia, changed the whole bench, and added Scola late in the summer. The pre-season is for experiments, conditioning, etc. It's not about winning...at all.

This is why I was making fun of the thrill Bulls fans were getting out of winning the first pre-season game. Lost perspective.

The only reason I find it especially annoying is because there is decades of data on this, it's boringly obvious. Yet every year someone takes the pre-season bait, either positive or negative.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
    I hope you meant "in your opinion"

I think it would be 71 wins

This to is just my opinion.
    I agree. I don't find this to be overachieving one bit. I don't see how the expectations should be lower than mid-60s wins. Look at the roster. That's why Scoop had them as potential underachievers. They were already strong, game 7 ECF vs the 2 time champs, and then made their bench a lot better as well as just being a year more mature (esp Paul and Lance).

It's funny to see people view their own team in low self-esteem glasses just as much as when they have rose colored glasses on. My belief in the win total hasn't been out of love. I was fine to predict low win seasons when the roster dictated it. But this roster looks just like a bunch of other great teams.

The offseason comparison I kept going for was Bad Boys Pistons. Look at the growth and how they stuck with it even with setbacks along the way. Continuity and development as a team should count for a lot, as well as having a balance of roles. This group has that perfect blend of a little bit of anything you need, and each guy has a decent sense of what his role is.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: