Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustments for the Heat

Default Adjustments for the Heat

Pacers travel to Miami next Wednesday. What changes will the Heat try to slow down Roy? They made us look silly with their quick double teams in the first 18-20 minutes. Are they just going to stick that in their back pocket until the playoffs?
    I was a little disappointed in our guys trying to dribble out of those traps and we stood around and watched a lot. That will need to change ASAP.
    The main thing in our favor? We aren't just a "Big Three". Miami can try and take away Roy or Paul but they can't take away everyone. This is where Hill, Lance and West have to bring their A games.
    It will be an interesting game.

Default Re: Adjustments for the Heat

I don't expect the Heat to make any real changes to their game plan. Their pressure defense, trapping, using their speed and quickness is their best approach to beating the Pacers.

I feel there aren't any secrets or new game plans between these teams forthcoming. Both teams will just try to do what they do better than the other. Each team strengths is the weakness of the other, so no reason to change for either team. Just who plays better.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Our backcourt is not a strength like our frontcourt is, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make our guards beat them. Maybe more double teams/help defense down low?

Mood

They might wait to put LeBron on Paul George until later in the game.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Miami will have a hard time with Indiana this year. The key to beating the Pacers is hitting the mid-range shot at a high percentage. We do everything possible to get teams to shoot those. When teams hit it, we are vulnerable, as seen in all of our losses this year. The Heat really aren't built to take that shot. They have guys who finish at the rim and guys who hit 3's, the two things our defense excels at (coincidence? I think not). Outside of LeBron and Wade, they don't have anyone who takes and makes the mid-range with consistency, and even those two are reluctant to shoot it. Outside of getting Hibbert in more pick-and-roll situations (which we also sometimes struggle with), there isn't a lot else they can try. They try to trap hard so we can't get the ball inside and they try to rely on turnovers. I think we really are setup to beat them this year. I think it will all come down to how great LeBron truly is.

The team that scares me, the Thunder. They can attack our defensive weakness (weakness by design) better than anyone, the mid-range. That is who I am more interested in discussing which adjustments might take place, but that is obviously a different topic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

One thing I noticed that the Heat didn't do in this game....that they ( of course ) do in every other game....is that their regular 3pt shooters....Chalmers, Allen and Battier weren't hitting their shots. I assume that they will be practicing their 3pt shooting? My hope is that we stick with our man to man defense.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Also, Haslem can hit that mid-range shot, and has hurt us in the past, so I was surprised he didn't play against us last time. I expect him to this time unless he is hurt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only significant adjustment is going to be Micheal Beasly playing instead of Rahshard Lewis. He provides them instant offense off the bench for them. Essentially replacing the lack of production from Wade.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They might wait to put LeBron on Paul George until later in the game.
    Yea, even Heat fans said LeBron looked noticeably tired.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    One thing I noticed that the Heat didn't do in this game....that they ( of course ) do in every other game....is that their regular 3pt shooters....Chalmers, Allen and Battier weren't hitting their shots. I assume that they will be practicing their 3pt shooting? My hope is that we stick with our man to man defense.

I get tired of hearing this, After 3 games it might have been luck, But after 18 games, It's just not a coincidence. Our Defense was tailored to stop Miami my friend. Go look at Ray's numbers
    with the HEAT vs our beloved Pacers, They are woeful.

By me ^^

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The biggest change I expect is them shooting a better percentage from 3...It'll be interesting to see what Beasley brings to the table for them as well...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy_nick View Post
    The biggest change I expect is them shooting a better percentage from 3...It'll be interesting to see what Beasley brings to the table for them as well...
    I think Beasley will matchup w Luis and D West. Beasley gets most of his PT at the 4.

I expect them to try very hard to get Roy in foul trouble. Post up Bosh and have him drive a little would be a decent start. I don't think LeBron has the same strength advantage over Paul this year, which will make it that much harder to get to the rack. But LeBron might also try to go even harder at Hibbert...to see if he can get him in foul trouble. Hibbert is the wall keeping the Heat out of the finals. He is the only man capable of stopping them IMO.

definetly PG is gonna have to hit shots early because Lebron will is gonna save himself for the 2nd half. I'm really not sure why Lebron focused so much on him to start the game when the scouting report should say in big fat letters 2ND HALF MONSTER!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Less doubling on George, staying home more on Hibbert defensively.

Offensively, if I were them I'd run a lot of pick n rolls with Hibbert on Bosh.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    definetly PG is gonna have to hit shots early because Lebron will is gonna save himself for the 2nd half. I'm really not sure why Lebron focused so much on him to start the game when the scouting report should say in big fat letters 2ND HALF MONSTER!
    Paul is a monster when he needs to be a monster. Against the Heat, he will be aggressive and dominant unless they put LeBron on him...who I'm beginning to think doesn't have Paul's stamina. King James has some mileage on him...and it's not going to get easier for him against Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Also, Haslem can hit that mid-range shot, and has hurt us in the past, so I was surprised he didn't play against us last time. I expect him to this time unless he is hurt.
    If I were Miami, it would be less Battier and Lewis, much more Haslem. Haslem is a much better player in the paint at both ends of the floor. One of the biggest problems we had with Miami in the playoffs was Haslem being found for open 10 foot baseline shots.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I expect them to try very hard to get Roy in foul trouble. Post up Bosh and have him drive a little would be a decent start. I don't think LeBron has the same strength advantage over Paul this year, which will make it that much harder to get to the rack. But LeBron might also try to go even harder at Hibbert...to see if he can get him in foul trouble. Hibbert is the wall keeping the Heat out of the finals. He is the only man capable of stopping them IMO.
    This is exactly what they will try to do. Happened game 7 last year.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This is exactly what they will try to do. Happened game 7 last year.
    LeBron doesn't have that strength advantage this year and the team is wising up to Birdman. It's going to be really difficult for Miami this year. Paul was good last finals, but he's a lot better now. ...and finally Danny "Robin" Granger has his Batman.

I'm not sure the heat need to make too many adjustments. They were beating us pretty well in the first half and only lost by 6 to a team that's been dominant at home this year. If they (mainly Battier, Chalmers and Allen) hit a few more open 3's and their good. Also you have to consider, Lebron isn't going to shoot under 50% too many games! and he also isn't going to be so patient offensively either (only 16 FGA).

With all that said, I think they'll pressure the guards more, but stop coming off Roy in the post. I also anticipate more hard double teams defensively.

Offensively I could see them moving the ball a little quicker, trying to beat our rotations. They also will probably try and get Beasley going a bit offensively off the bench (the few Heat games I've watched, he's been effective offensively but bad defensively)

The game on Tuesday was kind of strange. Miami was doing all of the right things to beat up on a team that just arrived home from a 5 game road trip. LeBron was playing tight defense on Paul until they both checked out the first time (2 points in the first half). They were double teaming the ball handler on PnR situations because we didn't seem comfortable making the pass. They were swinging the ball around on the perimeter getting us out of position numerous times. However, the shots just weren't falling for them and the Pacers wanted the game more in the second half. I don't think they make many adjustments this next game, but I also don't expect them to shoot as bad as they did this time around. The Pacers won't be as sluggish either which should lower the amount of turnovers this game. It should be interesting.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I get tired of hearing this, After 3 games it might have been luck, But after 18 games, It's just not a coincidence. Our Defense was tailored to stop Miami my friend. Go look at Ray's numbers
    with the HEAT vs our beloved Pacers, They are woeful.
    My main point is that one of the key offensive weapons that the Heat employ is LeDecision and Wade creating open look for their 3pt shooters. Yes, the Heat couldn't hit the side of the barn with their 3pt shot in BLF....but it's not like they won't continue to try and ( most importantly ) it's not like their 3pt shooters aren't capable of getting hot in an instant. Maybe call that luck....but IMHO Chalmers, Battier and Chalmers are all very solid and experienced Veterans that won't be cold ALL the time.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-13-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Seemed like they were trying to make a statement and also bend the Pacers will to where they would doubt whether they could win the game at halftime. That Pacers would most likely have bent after that first half by the Heat last year. But they are much better and more mentally strong this year to withstand that.

Lebron gave everything he had in that game in the first half to defend PG. He wanted to break PG's will, but PG's grown up this year. PG laid it on Lebron in the second half. Lebron usually shakes PG's hand at the end of the game, but that was before PG was on his level. PG can now beat Lebron. Lebron is only getting older and PG still hasn't hit his prime. Lebron sees that as good as he is right now, there will come a day where PG will be better than him. Father time always wins.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My main concern for this game is the pacers matching the heat's intensity. Remember a few years ago when the pacers won in chicago and Rose took exception to our celebrating? What happend when we played them again? Blown out. Same thing this year after we beat them at home. The pacers don't play well when a elite team puts a bulleye on them...see the thunder game. They need to play well, and not get curl up and get blown out again.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    My main concern for this game is the pacers matching the heat's intensity. Remember a few years ago when the pacers won in chicago and Rose took exception to our celebrating? What happend when we played them again? Blown out. Same thing this year after we beat them at home. The pacers don't play well when a elite team puts a bulleye on them...see the thunder game. They need to play well, and not get curl up and get blown out again.
    I think historically you are right, but I am not worried about it with the team finding some maturity. EVERY team this season has had a bullseye on us - I don't think San Antonio or LAC or Miami had less of a target painted on us than Portland, OKC, or Chicago.

Bear in mind there really have been zero wild celebrations after wins against elite teams, so the only "bulletin board" material is what has to be dug out of responses to reporters questions or the very fact that elite teams (including the Pacers) don't like getting beat.

I'm more concerned about playing Miami in Miami - they are a very strong team at home, and one expects to play less strongly on the road. Even at that, though, I don't think it is a huge disadvantage, just a slight lean in Miami's favor.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh