Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hot Topic: NBA Backup Centers

Default Re: Hot Topic: NBA Backup Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It's important to note that Evans has fallen out of favor in Brooklyn currently. He has lost his spot by Mason Plumlee and Mirza Teletovic and has received several DNPs in the last few games.

Although given who the coach is in BK, that is probably a point in Evans' favor.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Although given who the coach is in BK, that is probably a point in Evans' favor.
    It could be if it wasn't for the fact that Mason Plumlee and Mirza Teletovic are both outplaying him.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

If we cannot find a veteran maybe draft a back up for the future.

http://nbadraft.net/players/jordan-bachynski
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo

how about we keep the team we have! We are barely going to have the money to sign Lance next year and Danny will have to be lost for nothing as it is!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Danny will have to be lost for nothing as it is!
    Nothing personal toward you, but I really, really, really, really, really hate this phrase. It epitomizes "only long term matters" thinking, where one is so afraid of using up an asset that it never is allowed to reach its full usefulness before getting swapping for another less-than-prime one. It's like eating green bananas because you are afraid you might wait too long and let them get overripe, rather than actually eating them when ripe - then going out and buying more green bananas.

I prefer to think of it as trading Danny for a grown-up Lance. No matter who we'd gotten in exchange for Danny in the last year or so, the salaries would have had to match and we'd have to shed them somehow to keep Lance.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Guys, hasn't the Stanko ship sailed already? If the FO had any interest in him, I'm pretty sure they would have brought him way sooner.
    Yeah, but what if the unthinkable happens and we're desperate for a center for the playoff run? I was just trying to figure out if he was a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Yeah, but what if the unthinkable happens and we're desperate for a center for the playoff run? I was just trying to figure out if he was a possibility.
    If we're "desperate" for a center for the playoff run, we're probably done. "Need" a center means Ian is down. "Desperate" for a center means Roy is down.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If we're "desperate" for a center for the playoff run, we're probably done. "Need" a center means Ian is down. "Desperate" for a center means Roy is down.
    I know, I was trying to put it delicately so no one would be horrified. But if the unthinkable does happen, I doubt that we'll just roll over and play dead. Whoever we'd bring in would be a big drop off and probably not have a clue how to fit in with our defense. But since there's a center out there that we hold the rights to, I'd think he'd at least be on the short list. And since his contract is up in the summer, it seems like he might be an option.

Sports Logo

Nothing personal toward you, but I really, really, really, really, really hate this phrase. It epitomizes "only long term matters" thinking, where one is so afraid of using up an asset that it never is allowed to reach its full usefulness before getting swapping for another less-than-prime one. It's like eating green bananas because you are afraid you might wait too long and let them get overripe, rather than actually eating them when ripe - then going out and buying more green bananas.

I prefer to think of it as trading Danny for a grown-up Lance. No matter who we'd gotten in exchange for Danny in the last year or so, the salaries would have had to match and we'd have to shed them somehow to keep Lance.
    My point was that if we make a trade we start to risk not being able to afford Lance, I get that Danny's time here will be over this year, I wish he had played the last year and I would sure like to see him play this year. I feel bad that he was here for the worst of it and will be leaving when the team will be contending but I want the team to contend more than I want to keep Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    My point was that if we make a trade we start to risk not being able to afford Lance, I get that Danny's time here will be over this year, I wish he had played the last year and I would sure like to see him play this year. I feel bad that he was here for the worst of it and will be leaving when the team will be contending but I want the team to contend more than I want to keep Danny.
    And that's what I mean - by not trading Danny we get to pay Lance. So we're not "losing Danny for nothing", we're losing him for the money we need to pay our next guy.
    BillS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And that's what I mean - by not trading Danny we get to pay Lance. So we're not "losing Danny for nothing", we're losing him for the money we need to pay our next guy.
    Unless we can get a pick out of him or package him with Copeland to get a prospect/pick. But we would be trading to a contender. I can see the Hawks snatching it up, but then it might bite us in the playoffs.

Mood

Plus if we keep him we get to play him. It isn't nothing if we have a few months of Granger. That actually is pretty valuable, especially for a NBA championship contender.

Hell look at baseball, look what the Rangers traded for a 2 month rental of Matt Garza. The future is now for the Pacers, if we wanted value for Granger the time to trade him was 3 years ago not now.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Plus if we keep him we get to play him. It isn't nothing if we have a few months of Granger. That actually is pretty valuable, especially for a NBA championship contender.

Hell look at baseball, look what the Rangers traded for a 2 month rental of Matt Garza. The future is now for the Pacers, if we wanted value for Granger the time to trade him was 3 years ago not now.
    A huge IF, and I'm sorry but basketball and baseball are two different things in baseball you don't need knees to go up there and swing the bat, I mean even fata** Big Papi at the age of 40 can get up there and still kick a** that is not that case for basketball.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Worrying about 'assets' and getting future value back from expiring contracts is the kind of thing the us JrGM's do. Or teams that are rebuilding. Teams that are contenders have a much shorter term view about things. Pacers will not be trading Danny for prospects or draft picks. Pacers will be rolling Danny out there for 30 mpg of game production. They are worried about winning this year, not 5 yrs from now. If they could trade Danny for a guy like Pau Gasol, they might. [Trading wing depth for bid depth.] But unless the guy they get back makes a difference right now, I don't see any trade being done.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    A huge IF, and I'm sorry but basketball and baseball are two different things in baseball you don't need knees to go up there and swing the bat, I mean even fata** Big Papi at the age of 40 can get up there and still kick a** that is not that case for basketball.

snip

P4E never made any mention of baseball and basketball as the same thing. He is making a point that teams in contention make moves for temporary opportunity. Its simply an analogy.

Just personal

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

the biggest shame is we have 14M that is not benefitting this team yet. For a small market franchise with a window of opportunity at a Banner, its a real shame. A healthy Granger last year when he came back may have been enough for us to win it all.

Its unfortunate but this is sports and injuries happen. Just look at DRose.

I don't think anyone knows what will happen when Danny returns,,, not even Danny himself.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 12-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    the biggest shame is we have 14M that is not benefitting this team yet. For a small market franchise with a window of opportunity at a Banner, its a real shame. A healthy Granger last year when he came back may have been enough for us to win it all.

Its unfortunate but this is sports and injuries happen. Just look at DRose.

I don't think anyone knows what will happen when Danny returns,,, not even Danny himself.
    S*** happens....we're not the only Team that has a large chunk of their Salary sitting in a suit at the end of the bench . I know...it sucks...but we just move on and deal with the cards that we're dealt. Luckily.....as many have said...we've been dealt a "4 of a Kind" this season....so it's all good. We have the luxury of having him properly rehab.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I agree with that. I also think there is a risk that no one has mentioned yet. We don't know what Danny's abilities are going to be. We would have to be very careful who we would trade with. Otherwise there is a possibility that we could end up facing a healthy Granger in the playoffs.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Unless we can get a pick out of him or package him with Copeland to get a prospect/pick. But we would be trading to a contender. I can see the Hawks snatching it up, but then it might bite us in the playoffs.
    That is the thing he has no value around the league. I mean I guess a team like the Jazz would trade an expiring like Biderans for Danny(and Bird just hangs up the phone lol). The potential of a playoff run with an 80% Granger is >> than anything we could get back in a trade.

If we could get back a 1st rd pick or a decent expiring player than you would have to think about it.(it still wouldnt be a easy yes answer. I mean a 80% Granger probably helps us more in the playoffs than Emeka Oakfor or Gasol)

But there is no GM in the league who would trade an expiring and a 1st rd pick (or a young prospect on a rookie deal) for a guy in Granger who hasn't been on the court in ages. He can't have any value at this juncture. He has way more value to us than anybody else.

This is way to premature to discuss, but say Granger comes back and plays terrific, and plays a huge role in a deep playoff run. We may be able to S&T him. I know Danny loves LA and the Clippers seem like a good fit, that would be an interesting scenario. It isn't something I count on. Like I have stated the potential of having Granger for the rest of the year is worth way more than he is worth in a trade.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I wonder if there are any backup centers on non-guaranteed contracts that will get cut later this year before their contracts become fully guaranteed.

(had to check the thread title to make sure I wasn't mistakenly posting in yet another Danny Granger thread)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I wonder if there are any backup centers on non-guaranteed contracts that will get cut later this year before their contracts become fully guaranteed.

(had to check the thread title to make sure I wasn't mistakenly posting in yet another Danny Granger thread)
    I have been wondering the same. Pacers have 13 on the roster. Gotta like the production Butler is providing and from the sounds of things Rasual has impressed since training camp. IF Butler can provide solid minutes with the second unit .... Cope becomes very expendable.

So much is up in the air with Lance... no one wants to say it but what if we cannot afford Lance. We let both Danny and Lance walk... just asking.. cause who knows it can happen.

Point is, we have to somewhat stay aggressive and see what is available. I like Cope,, I just don't think he will get a chance to find rhythm with our second unit,,, esp when DG returns. Cope is a good player and the contract is reasonable.

Mahnimi is serviceable but if there is a legit center with defensive prowess that becomes available our best trade chip is the sharpshooting power forward off the bench.

I like Greg Stiemsma from NO's. 2.7 expiring. When he was with Boston he had like 5 blocks one game off the bench. I know he is injured presently but should return by trade timeline.

Sports Logo

With OJ, Solo, Butler and Granger at the Wing rotation...Copeland was expendable the second the Pacers acquired Scola.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Danny's been a good soldier for us. I see us keeping him on and hoping he can be our ace in the hole for a championship run.
    After that he can go off (with a shinny new ring) to play for who ever he wants and we can resign Lance. Win/win.

Sports Logo

Remember what I said about players on teams that fail to advance in the Euroleague? Here we have it, per hoopshype:

Can Pelister: OFFICIAL: Alexis Ajinca leaves Strasbourg and joins New Orleans Pelicans. Twitter @HCanPelister - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.SzpBOQD2.dpuf
    Alexis Ajinca had an amazing EuroBasket performance this summer and he had a very strong Euroleague season as well (averaging 17.1 PPG and 5.4 RPG).
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Maybe we should have kept McRoberts...