Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hot Topic: NBA Backup Centers

Sports Logo

Default Re: Hot Topic: NBA Backup Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had no idea that such a picture existed
    Someone photoshopped the picture.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Someone photoshopped the picture.
    doesn't mean a real one doesnt exist though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Charlotte didn't draft him- Sacramento did.
    I mean, yeah, technically. Just like Roy Hibbert was drafted by the Raptors.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    I would give Foster a shot before Oden. If Foster is healthy enough Im sure pacers management would consider it. Im guessing Foster has played his last game though.

If he wanted to play the last 10 games of the season and get his sea legs back I would be all for it. Its a pipedream im afraid.

Someone facebook Fiesty and let him know Pacers fans want him back!
    Yes I think it would be a long shot but I'd love for Larry to reach out and try. I haven't read anything about his rehab after his surgery or even if he has any interest though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Foster hasn't played or been aiming to play for a long time. Oden has always been trying to get back. Those are two very different things. Rehabbing to get back to the NBA vs Rehabbing to get healthy for the rest of your life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

76ers Moultrie intrigued me last year. I don't believe he's playing much this year. I'm not sure he can amount to much either, but then who knows.

Nuntius and I both liked Koufos last year, and the games I've seen him play with Memphis it looks like he's a nice b/u to Gasol. Something they previously lacked.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I mean, yeah, technically. Just like Roy Hibbert was drafted by the Raptors.
    Can you refresh my mind on how Charlotte got him from the Kings? Charlotte had the #9 pick, 2 picks after the Kings, and used it on Kemba Walker.

I'm sure there are some who might consider him a bust since he hasn't done much at a #7 pick.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    He's also a significantly better rebounder, weakside shot blocker, and doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much or foul nearly as much. He has also improved, going on three years straight, meanwhile Mahimi has stayed stagnant at best. There's really no comparison.
    Yeah, I agree with that. I was just stating his height which might be an issue against LeBron in particular. Other than that, I'd certainly like Bismack. He is a very nice player, in my opinion.

I just don't see how we could acquire him.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

76ers Moultrie intrigued me last year. I don't believe he's playing much this year. I'm not sure he can amount to much either, but then who knows.

Nuntius and I both liked Koufos last year, and the games I've seen him play with Memphis it looks like he's a nice b/u to Gasol. Something they previously lacked.
    Moultrie is intriguing but I don't think that he will develop into a big defensive presence.

Koufos would certainly be amazing, of course.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Can you refresh my mind on how Charlotte got him from the Kings? Charlotte had the #9 pick, 2 picks after the Kings, and used it on Kemba Walker.
    Charlotte also had the #19 pick that year. They received the #7 pick (Biyombo) by trading #19 (Tobias Harris) and taking on Magette's contract. They previously obtained #19 by trading Gerald Wallace to Portland, who in turn received it from NO for Bayless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post

I just don't see how we could acquire him.
    Yeah, me too. Biyombo is still only 21, a former lottery pick, and showing nice defensive skills. Charlotte would be stupid to let him go. And even if they did, OJ or Solo isn't going to cut it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

I am all for trying to find a potential replacement for Mahinmi as I am one of the people that simply doesn't really understand what it is he brings to this team. His rebound rate is the worst of any big that gets minutes in the NBA so for the people that say who cares how inept he is at offense if all he does is defend and rebound he is doing his job well rebounding is not something he brings to the table he is awful at it. His offense production is basically the worst of any big that gets minutes as well so he is a bottom of the barrel scorer and rebounder. So to me if you are that lacking in those departments you better be amazing at defense and he is simply ok at defense in my opinion. His block rate is decent for a backup big but he his foul rate almost cancels out his block production.

I do not think we need to deal for a big though simply because the answers out there are just not that good, but why not use our last roster spot on a 3rd big that can at least push Mahinmi for minutes if he continues to struggle as much as he has of late. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Rasual Butler's contract is guaranteed until the gauranteed deadline much like Ben Hansborough and Sam Young's contracts were constructed last year. So either use the last roster spot on a D-League talent or if we don't have the money/don't want to pay the money for a 15th roster spot cut Butler and use the 14th spot on a 3rd center.

So what D-League talent is out there in the big man department?

I think the answer may be the guy we had here for preseason Hilton Armstong he is currently averaging 15/7/3 (points/rebs/blocks).

I know people say that stats don't mean everything and I agree but if we are going to statistically speak if you think of baseball and it's WAR (which is Wins Above Replacement meaning how easy a player is to fill in any random scrub and get the same production) Ian's would be awful. I think most people we could find and plug in could statistically do a better job (again I know stats don't mean everything and his "rim protection" is key to our defense, but I guess I'm one of the people that is in the mindset he isn't even that great of a "rim protector" and he is so inefficient everywhere else I am willing to give anyone else a chance at his minutes or at least to compete for them with the exception of Copeland the Copeland/Scola combo is a train wreck.)

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Pretty much this, Reggie Evans had the lowest Defensive Rating (98) among all players in their playoff series against the Bulls.
    Not sure where you got the number, but bball reference has it at 100.

Either way, it was the lowest. But just for the record, a low Defensive Rating is a good thing. Reggie Evans had the best Defensive Rating in the Bulls-Nets playoff series. Evans is third on the Nets right now.

Of course, he is typically guarding the second unit's 2nd best big man, playing alongside Lopez, Blatche, or Plumlee. Beware the DRtg of the PF alongside the strong defensive Center. David West has a better DRtg than Paul George right now, tied with Hibbert for the lead.

All stats need context, but ORtg and DRtg (for individual players) needs a tooooon of context.

Off Topic, but because we are here: The Pacers are currently 13th in ORtg, just a tick below Golden State. Not too shabby. Similar to where they were in the second half of last season.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

How about a back up center who is 6-11, athletic, a true rim protector. Averages 10.9 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks per 36 minutes on 45% shooting? Same price as Mahinmi? Any takers?

As you might have guessed, I'm talking about Ian Mahinmi himself. Specifically, his 2012-13 season with the Pacers.

Perhaps the solution is time.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Pretty much this, Reggie Evans had the lowest Defensive Rating (98) among all players in their playoff series against the Bulls.
    Defensive rating is how many points the opposing offense scores out of 100 possessions, so him being the lowest is a good thing. For example, PG's defensive rating as a rookie was 104, now it's 94. Roy's defensive rating is 93. Ian's? 95. And that's why he's valuable to the Pacers, because he has the ability to anchor their defensive scheme.

I'll also point out that the lowest defensive rating for a NBA career is 95.3
    Last edited by Since86; 12-12-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    How about a back up center who is 6-11, athletic, a true rim protector. Averages 10.9 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks per 36 minutes on 45% shooting? Same price as Mahinmi? Any takers?

As you might have guessed, I'm talking about Ian Mahinmi himself. Specifically, his 2012-13 season with the Pacers.

This.

Ian's not ever going to look good compared to Roy. Roy's a monster.

But there's not anybody out there who'd be better than Ian at what we need Ian to do.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

And 12 fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    And 12 fouls.
    5.5, actually. Comparable to Reggie Evan's 5.1, even with the added defensive responsibilities Mahinmi has that Evans doesn't.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really am not too disappointed with Ian to be honest.. I mean, he has those games that leave you scratching your head, but that has to do with his consistency, not his talent. Ian is a very serviceable backup C in my opinion.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    And 12 fouls.
    he just doesn't get the benefit of The doubt, ofttimes he dpesnt foul, but gets called for it because the offensive player flops like a fish out of water.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

To be fair, Reggie Evans averages 4.4 fouls per 36 for his career, while Mahinmi averages 6.0.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Anybody who thinks Ian Mahinmi has bad hands would absolutely love Bismack Biyombo.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Going back into hiding RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

But what about this guy?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    His rebound rate is the worst of any big that gets minutes in the NBA so for the people that say who cares how inept he is at offense if all he does is defend and rebound he is doing his job well rebounding is not something he brings to the table he is awful at it.
    This is simply untrue. Ekpe Udoh, Kendrick Perkins, Jason Maxiell and Andrea Bargnani are all playing more than Mahinmi and have a lower rebound rate. Matt Bonner only plays 2.2 MPG less than Ian and his rebounding rate is worse as well. The same can be said about both Clipper back-up Centers (Ryan Hollins and Byron Mullens).

Mahinmi is having his worst year as far as TRB% is concerned but he is not the worst in the league. Also, the difference between this year's and last year's TRB% indicates that this is probably a statistical anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    I think the answer may be the guy we had here for preseason Hilton Armstong he is currently averaging 15/7/3 (points/rebs/blocks).
    He signed with the Warriors.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

To be fair, Reggie Evans averages 4.4 fouls per 36 for his career, while Mahinmi averages 6.0.
    True. But the difference is that one of the two players (Ian) plays defense and contests shots while the other (Reggie Evans) waits to get the rebound.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure that Larry Bird has Hilton Armstrong on speed dial if they decide they need a 3rd center. If not, they'll give the Scola and West tandem a few more minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!