Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Topic: NBA Backup Centers

Default Re: Hot Topic: NBA Backup Centers

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie Evans is in the top of my list not only because he is a rebounding and defensive beast but also because he only makes 1.6mil a year, he is super cheap for his production.

Watson,X player, DG, Scola, Reggie Evans? he is like the CJ Watson of PF/Centers
    Reggie Evans is 6'8''.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Would Charlotte give up on Biyombo after only 2.5 years? He was viewed as a project player when they drafted him?
    They spent big bucks to sign Al Jefferson and drafted Cody Zeller really high. Who knows?
    Dear P_George,
    You have received an infraction at Pacers Digest.

Reason: Unacceptable Comment and/or Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post

Asik - I don't want his candya** attitude. Let Miami have him if they can acquire.
    Asik wouldn't fit with us as he only wants to be on a team that he can start on.

That being said, I would HATE to see Miami get him, that would be a horrible scenario for the Pacers. Luckily, they do not have the pieces to pull off a trade in my opinion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would also like to exclude every player on the above list that doesn't have post-season experience
    David "And One" West

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

We probably need to define what is meant by rim protector. When I use I mean it in the same since as Roy. A straight up, verticality type of rim protector, which is what our defense is designed for. A weak side shot blocker isn't the same thing. He isn't being a rim protector in the same way Roy and Ian are, and thus may not actually be a better rim protector for our system.

I don't know enough about how the Bobcats defensive system works, or how Biyombo gets his blocks. If it is more as a weakside shot blocker there is no guarantee that he will actually be a better rim protector than Ian. Rebounds I don't really care about as long as the team gets it. Even Orlando seems to get a lot of rebounds, and I think it is by design that our wing players get as many rebounds as they do. Unless the player is an offensive rebounding machine, that is a different story.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Asik wouldn't fit with us as he only wants to be on a team that he can start on.

That being said, I would HATE to see Miami get him, that would be a horrible scenario for the Pacers. Luckily, they do not have the pieces to pull off a trade in my opinion.
    If they trade Bosh they might.

I don't want Reggie Evans,, early in his career I remember something to do w character issues. I like what he brings on the court for cheap. But no way do we bring in guys with character issues unless its Tony Allen type player for the right price.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Re Dalembert. He just lost his starting spot to DeJuan Blair. Earlier in the season, he was benched a game for missing shootaround, but this time it looks like it's permanent. I'm sure he's more talented than Mahinmi, but he's just not a guy I would want on this team.

Mahinmi isn't playing well, but the point is our defense doesn't suffer much when he comes in for Roy. As long as he fills this role, I think we're fine.

Long term of course we'd want a young project guy to eventually take over for him (I guess Miles was supposed to be that guy). But going after some other team's high profile young guy like Biyombo is probably not realistic.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA Free Agent list:

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2013/

If anyone has a better list of ALL available free agents please provide.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/686/joel-przybilla

Joel Przybilla believes he can be effective next season.
    Przybilla played a grand total of 68 minutes this season and it's no guarantee there will even be a market for him in the offseason. Apr 28 - 1:24 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/586/brad-miller

Suns waived C Brad Miller.
    Miller is expected to retire and the move was expected since he was initially acquired. Wed, Aug 15, 2012 12:19:00 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1410/kyrylo-fesenko

Kyrylo Fesenko will reportedly work out for the Hawks on Tuesday.

Fesenko was waived by the Bulls in training camp, but he wouldn't provide much to Atlanta. If signed, he'll merely be an insurance policy, and not a particularly appealing one at that. Tue, Oct 30, 2012 08:30:00 AM

Reggie Evans is in the top of my list not only because he is a rebounding and defensive beast but also because he only makes 1.6mil a year, he is super cheap for his production.

Watson,X player, DG, Scola, Reggie Evans? he is like the CJ Watson of PF/Centers
    Reggie Evans isn't a C though. With our defensive system, our C needs size. Reggie Evans is a beast for sure, but he takes away any type of size advantage we have if he's playing C.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Re Dalembert. He just lost his starting spot to DeJuan Blair. Earlier in the season, he was benched a game for missing shootaround, but this time it looks like it's permanent. I'm sure he's more talented than Mahinmi, but he's just not a guy I would want on this team.

Mahinmi isn't playing well, but the point is our defense doesn't suffer much when he comes in for Roy. As long as he fills this role, I think we're fine.

Long term of course we'd want a young project guy to eventually take over for him (I guess Miles was supposed to be that guy). But going after some other team's high profile young guy like Biyombo is probably not realistic.

You consider Biyombo to be a high profile young guy? I normally think of a guy drafted highly whom there's a consensus of his high, high upside when that terms is thrown around. He was drafted as a major project. He's still raw, but defensively and rebounding wise, he's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIdhFeLiLx8

Those are last years' highlights. You can see him getting weakside blocks but, also going up chest to chest and making some nice blocks. He has improved in terms of Rebs, Fouls Against, and Turnovers each of the last three seasons. He'd also be a great player for Hibbert to mentor and help out.

Who knows if the Bobcats are going to give up on him or not, but we could probably make it worth their while but, we may have to move a young guy like OJ or Hill(which I'm not too sad about but, I know some would be).
    Dear P_George,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Reggie Evans isn't a C though. With our defensive system, our C needs size. Reggie Evans is a beast for sure, but he takes away any type of size advantage we have if he's playing C.
    Like I said before just because a guy is 7 feet tall that doesn't mean he is a center(see Bargnani,Dirk, etc), I don't know what this "defensive system" you guys are talking about is coming from either, I mean you think Frank is saying "screw this defensive system" when he plays West/Scola together? I have seen Scola or West replace Ian just fine and in fact that has been better than playing the 7 feet tall guy.

Give me Reggie Evans over Ian any day, he is the better defender and rebounder and Evans protects the rim doing different things he doesn't have to jump 10 feet high in the air to protect the rim(like Dandre Jordan).

Like I said before just because a guy is 7 feet tall that doesn't mean he is a center(see Bargnani,Dirk, etc), I don't know what this "defensive system" you guys are talking about is coming from either, I mean you think Frank is saying "screw this defensive system" when he plays West/Scola together? I have seen Scola or West replace Ian just fine and in fact that has been better than playing the 7 feet tall guy.

Give me Reggie Evans over Ian any day, he is the better defender and rebounder and Evans protects the rim doing different things he doesn't have to jump 10 feet high in the air to protect the rim(like Dandre Jordan).

I would be one of the guys that really likes Evans, as well as Biyombo. Wouldn't have the shot blocking, but he's a strong guy who won't get bullied in the post and is the best rebounder in the league. He also has that badass factor that fits in well with our defensive scheme.
    Dear P_George,

19. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Banned

Lets also not forget that Vogel tried to replace Ian (or some of his minutes) by trying to play Scola/Cope together throwing all this "defensive system" thing out of the window, that pair works as he thought it was going to work and Ian is riding the bench.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I get the interest in Evans. Lets ask one question.

Why would Brooklyn trade him to us. If someone has got a reasonable response to that the floor is yuours.

Biymombo the Pacers were interested in back in the draft. I doubt Jordan gives him up.

Current depth chart for all 32 teams:

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lets also not forget that Vogel tried to replace Ian (or some of his minutes) by trying to play Scola/Cope together throwing all this "defensive system" thing out of the window, that pair works as he thought it was going to work and Ian is riding the bench.
    Vogel is trying numerous combinations early in the season. I wouldn't read so much into it. Mahinmi plays in all significant games as the primary big of the bench.

Lets also not forget when Ian was off the court vs Philly I believe it was how the lane became the red sea. Coach Vogel quickly reinserted Mahinmi back into the lineup the next game. Coach Vogel was giving Ians minutes to Copeland. The Luis Copeland frontcourt was a failure.

* Reference is after the Bulls game where Cope lit it up. This was more of a tweak than Coach Vogel "throwing his D system" out the window imo versus an opponent who only had 9 healthy players at that time.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 12-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't know how we could get him.....but I can live with Aaron Gray as a backup Center behind Hibbert and Mahinmi. He's an Expiring contract at $2.7 mil. He's a solid Low Post defender...but not as mobile as I'd hope he'd be.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

And no matter what Vogel has tried, the default backup always seems to be Ian. I like the West and Scola matchup, only if Paul is keeping pentrators out of the lane. And if a team has multiple drivers (Heat, Pistons, Bucks, Thunder, etc) on the court then we have to protect the paint. That is the system. CHannel the hard to guard drivers to the walls. Not the baseline. But to the walls. And Ian is a wall. With stone hands.

Now I would like to see Scola/West when only a Wade is out there. I think Lance can keep him out of the lane. And I predict that happening more if Ian struggles. But this isn't an easy fix.

Sports Logo

This whole discussion just tells me that we have little options when it comes to replacing Mahinmi.

Mahinmi isn't great by any means.....but he does a good enough job ( most..but not ALL of the time ) of doing what he's supposed to be doing; defending the low Post, rebounding, doing his best impression of Hibbert ( PURELY from a Defensive perspective ) when he rests and vertically challenging Players that attack the rim.

This whole thread boils down to a "the grass is always greener" type of discussion. As cdash has mentioned, despite many of you having a "wishlist" for a Mahinmi replacement......the question becomes......how do you think that such a Player can be acquired?

Given the list of Players that has been discussed....I've come to the conclusion that there isn't many options.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    And no matter what Vogel has tried, the default backup always seems to be Ian. I like the West and Scola matchup, only if Paul is keeping pentrators out of the lane. And if a team has multiple drivers (Heat, Pistons, Bucks, Thunder, etc) on the court then we have to protect the paint. That is the system. CHannel the hard to guard drivers to the walls. Not the baseline. But to the walls. And Ian is a wall. With stone hands.

Now I would like to see Scola/West when only a Wade is out there. I think Lance can keep him out of the lane. And I predict that happening more if Ian struggles. But this isn't an easy fix.

There is no doubt we will see Scola/DWest combo but it will be only in the playoffs. That combination is lethal,, as long as DWest can guard the center. Glad to see Coach Vogel did not have to unveil it last nite.

Part of the reason imo a third big is needed is exactly for the reasons listed. A frontcourt of Copeland/Scola will not work if any of our bigs get into foul penaties.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 12-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Tried to replace him in the off-season, too. We heard rumors of Reggie Evans and then we went after Lopez hard. Just my $.02, but I think the staff knows he's the weak link on our bench. This coming from a huge Mahimi supporter last season(playoffs-now, not so much).
    Dear P_George,

31. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

owl

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I would also like to exclude every player on the above list that doesn't have post-season experience
    Is there a way to land Nazr Muhammed?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Is there a way to land Nazr Muhammed?
    OJ for Nazr?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    Tried to replace him in the off-season, too. We heard rumors of Reggie Evans and then we went after Lopez hard. Just my $.02, but I think the staff knows he's the weak link on our bench. This coming from a huge Mahimi supporter last season(playoffs-now, not so much).
    If Granger does not return the weak link is going to be the backup wing position. Lance is going to have a bad game here and there until he continues to gain more experience/maturity. If Danny cant give us 80% were gonna be desparate for a wing off the bench.

That's why maybe upgrading the 3rd big at a low cost and then taking a wait and see approach with Granger and if needed make a bold move at the deadline for a wing. The only true weak link revolves around our backup wing and Danny returning healthy.

The FO was likely pursuing Evans as an insurance big and Lopez as a replacement or even another big to go with Mahnimi in place of Copeland. Have to look at it various contexts cause at that time my assumption would have been Cope was not on the roster.

I would guarantee other teams would take on Mahinmi at 4M.
    from the list below I have a hard time saying Mahinmi is overpaid.
    for example : Mahinmi > Camby

Mood

Reggie Evans?? You can't be serious. I don't know how you can call Ian trash, but love Evans. They are both specialist one rebounding and one defensive. Evans isnt even playing that good this year his defense is really fallen, and you want him to be our backup C?? He would be a terrible fit as a b/u C especially in our system.

Also saying Bismack has better instincts than Ian is not true IMO. Bismack is just like Ian awkward, I do like how he is playing this year he is a solid b/u now IMO.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-11-2013 at 05:30 PM.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With Ian AND Scola/West you have the CHOICE of playing big or small. If you dump Ian in favor of Evans then you have no choice - to play big ball you have to play Roy 48 minutes. West/Scola (or Scola/Cope, that was done to see if it would work so that West could rest if the small ball was needed) is used for limited minutes, not as the primary backup way of playing our bigs.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh