Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Week 15: vs Texans

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Week 15: vs Texans

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly think you're in "what have you done for me lately" mindset, which is a typical NFL fan's mindset. I know you don't have any faith in this team, but this team has played closer to high-level football this year than not. They played 8 really good weeks of football, followed by 4 bad ones. The "norm" for this team is good football, not this past month. They've already shown this year they can play at a high level, beating Denver, San Fran, and Seattle... they can play good football. They just got off track. I think they'ree starting to get back on.

No faith in this team? Lol, I've said multiple times over the last couple of weeks that I feel they can win a wildcard game with the home crowd behind them, which I think would make the season a smashing success given all of the injuries and relative youth. Do I think that they can go into Denver/New England and a win a divisional game to put them into the AFC championship? No, I don't think that will happen. So I guess that if "having faith in them" is only quantified by believing that they are a top four team in the entire NFL, then no I don't guess I have faith in them.......

Yes, we played 8 really good weeks of football, followed by 4 bad ones which came immediately after losing one of the greatest receivers in NFL history who was a security blanket for our young QB. It's not as if we just inexplicably got off track for no reason. We got off track in large part because we lost an elite offensive threat and there is simply no one on the roster who can replace him. Sure there are other factors (O-Line, play calling, decline in defense) that messed us up, but the injury to Wayne is by far the worst thing to happen to the team this season. It's no coincidence that the quality of play IMMEDIATELY went downhill after that. To beat an elite team on the road in the divisional round, I feel that we need an elite high quality playmaker outside of the QB. We don't have one. We always had Harrison or Wayne (often both) in the Manning years, and we had Wayne with Luck from last year until the first half of this season. I like T.Y's speed, but he just doesn't yet have the ability to consistently get open in sticky situations.

Some injuries are too much to overcome. The Pats have the greatest QB-head coaching duo in NFL history, yet look at how pedestrian that offense looks when you take the elite Gronkowski out of the equation. So yes, I do feel that our AFC Title game/Super Bowl hopes died the day Wayne got hurt. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

I just don't see much evidence for us getting back on track yet. It's going to take more than garbage points in Cincy and a home win against a 2 win Texans team to convince me. If we put up a decent performance in KC (not saying we have to win), then maybe I'll start to become a believer in improvement. But since the Wayne injury, the team has done nothing but beat AFC South teams while getting beat by everyone else. I don't have a "what have you done mentality" mindset. I'm looking at 7 games worth of evidence since the Denver game. It's been the same theme over that period: win against the South, lose badly against everyone else.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-16-2013 at 01:22 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

And KC had the first pick in the draft last year. What experience are they falling back on? The Colts at least made the playoffs last year. There's no reason to believe that this Indy team can't get a head of steam and beat KC. Remember --- this game will be in Indy.
    Which is why I've consistently said for a couple of weeks that I feel they have a legitimate chance to win the wildcard game here. But no, I don't think they can do much beyond that. I'd love nothing more than to be wrong.

With everything that has happened this season, I would consider a wildcard win to be a HUGE success, regardless of what would happen the following week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Based on how KC has played the last couple weeks I'm not so sure we have a great chance of beating them at home. They are going to toy with us next week I feel
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Of course fans look at 'what have you done for me lately'.... because that is the most recent indication of where a team is at. It's compounded by the fact that earlier success was before a rash of injuries decimated the team.

None of that is saying a team can't figure it out, get the 'next man up' up to speed, and then get it going again. But you can't automatically assume that is going to happen when recent history is showing the team is absolutely struggling against any real competition at all.
    I'm assuming no more than most of you who are assuming we'll get ousted early. The only guy of note that we lost is Reggie Wayne. Sucks, but we can overcome it. Most of our big hits were taken much earlier in the season, and we continued to play strongly. We were a strong team for the first 2 months. We experienced a lull. We're still in the same season; still the same team, same staff, same players --- I'm no less incorrect for assuming that we *could* or even *likely* could return to a much stronger form, than assuming we'll continue sucking. And we haven't actually continued sucking. The last 6 quarters, we've seen improvement. Or more of a "return to form".
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    No faith in this team? Lol, I've said multiple times over the last couple of weeks that I feel they can win a wildcard game with the home crowd behind them, which I think would make the season a smashing success given all of the injuries and relative youth. Do I think that they can go into Denver/New England and a win a divisional game to put them into the AFC championship? No, I don't think that will happen. So I guess that if "having faith in them" is only quantified by believing that they are a top four team in the entire NFL, then no I don't guess I have faith in them.......

Yes, we played 8 really good weeks of football, followed by 4 bad ones which came immediately after losing one of the greatest receivers in NFL history who was a security blanket for our young QB. It's not as if we just inexplicably got off track for no reason. We got off track in large part because we lost an elite offensive threat and there is simply no one on the roster who can replace him. Sure there are other factors (O-Line, play calling, decline in defense) that messed us up, but the injury to Wayne is by far the worst thing to happen to the team this season. It's no coincidence that the quality of play IMMEDIATELY went downhill after that. To beat an elite team on the road in the divisional round, I feel that we need an elite high quality playmaker outside of the QB. We don't have one. We always had Harrison or Wayne (often both) in the Manning years, and we had Wayne with Luck from last year until the first half of this season. I like T.Y's speed, but he just doesn't yet have the ability to consistently get open in sticky situations.

Some injuries are too much to overcome. The Pats have the greatest QB-head coaching duo in NFL history, yet look at how pedestrian that offense looks when you take the elite Gronkowski out of the equation. So yes, I do feel that our AFC Title game/Super Bowl hopes died the day Wayne got hurt. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

I just don't see much evidence for us getting back on track yet. It's going to take more than garbage points in Cincy and a home win against a 2 win Texans team to convince me. If we put up a decent performance in KC (not saying we have to win), then maybe I'll start to become a believer in improvement. But since the Wayne injury, the team has done nothing but beat AFC South teams while getting beat by everyone else. I don't have a "what have you done mentality" mindset. I'm looking at 7 games worth of evidence since the Denver game. It's been the same theme over that period: win against the South, lose badly against everyone else.
    If I read you wrong, I apologize, but your tone of late has been pretty negative, sort of a defeatist tone. Sure, we weren't playing good football period in November, we got out of our groove. When you're not playing well, you look bad against anyone. I think we're starting to get our groove back. Just like Pagano and Luck, you have to forget yesterday and look forward. Just because we sucked in November doesn't mean it has to remain that way... it shouldn't actually. I still think we have a decent team. They just had a bit of a month-long brainfart. I think the loss of Wayne threw them for a loop, but there's no reason they can't get back on track.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I'm assuming no more than most of you who are assuming we'll get ousted early. The only guy of note that we lost is Reggie Wayne. .
    Dwyane Allen is definitely worthy of being noted. Same goes for Vick Ballard, Ahmad Bradshaw, and the patchwork dipshits along the offensive line.

I didn't watch the game and only have looked at the box score, but from the way Twitter made it seem the Texans just rolled over. They are content to take their #1 overall pick and lose to get there. I applaud your glass half full approach, but I just have a really hard time seeing this team making a run in the playoffs. I do think they can beat Kansas City though. The Chiefs strike me very much as a paper tiger.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

If I read you wrong, I apologize, but your tone of late has been pretty negative, sort of a defeatist tone. Sure, we weren't playing good football period in November, we got out of our groove. When you're not playing well, you look bad against anyone. I think we're starting to get our groove back. Just like Pagano and Luck, you have to forget yesterday and look forward. Just because we sucked in November doesn't mean it has to remain that way... it shouldn't actually. I still think we have a decent team. They just had a bit of a month-long brainfart. I think the loss of Wayne threw them for a loop, but there's no reason they can't get back on track.
    I still think we have a decent team too, which is why I think they can win a playoff game. I just think that the dream of being a true Super Bowl contender died with the Wayne injury. I think that there are certain injuries that you can never overcome, and that's one of them. He was so instrumental in the first year and a half of Luck's career. When Luck was in a sticky situation and had to get rid of the ball quickly, Wayne was always finding ways to quickly get open. There's just no one else like that on the roster. I like T.Y.'s talent, but I think that his ceiling will always be as a high end WR2. I don't think that he will ever have what it takes to be a true WR1. He is dangerously fast, but he hasn't yet shown the ability to consistently quickly get open in sticky situations, and he often gets out-muscled for contested balls. I realize that he is not a big guy, but I just think that he will always have certain limitations. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan and I hope he's on the team for a while. But with Wayne getting old, we're going to have to look at bringing in another strong receiver.

There are certain guys in the NFL who are so important to their teams that they can never be completely replaced. Wayne was one of them. Gronkowski is another. Brady and the Hoodie are great at what they do, but there is simply no making up for the loss of an elite talent like Gronk. They can still succeed without him, but their team will never be quite what it was when he was on the roster. Same with the Colts. We can win games without Wayne, but this offense is just never going to quite be what it was with him. We just simply don't have enough parts. Hilton and Fleener are fine options when they are surrounded by Wayne and Dwyane Allen, but you're spread pretty thin when those are all of the sudden your two best options.

I think I'm taking a pretty rational approach. We are 9-5 and should at worst finish 10-6 since there is no way we lose to Jacksonville here. That's a pretty damn solid season when you consider the brutal schedule and hideous injuries. And I feel that we could win the wildcard game at home, which would make the season a smashing success and an improvement over last year. But I just don't think we have enough horses to get to the AFC Title game. It's football and anything can happen, but I'd be stunned if it did. I don't think that's being negative though.

I think we can both agree that the upcoming game in Kansas City will be a decent gauge of where we are as a team. If we go in there and compete, then I'll start to buy more stock in the idea of us turning it around. But if we get steamrolled, then I'm going to think that the game yesterday wasn't much more than taking advantage of a 2 win team with a QB who probably shouldn't be in the NFL.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-16-2013 at 05:06 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Dwyane Allen is definitely worthy of being noted. Same goes for Vick Ballard, Ahmad Bradshaw, and the patchwork dipshits along the offensive line.
    Didn't read what I said did ya. I said lately. Repeating myself, but all those guys were lost almost right off the bat and we continued to beat people.

Didn't read what I said did ya. I said lately. Repeating myself, but all those guys were lost almost right off the bat and we continued to beat people.
    Honestly, no, I didn't. I read until I saw something silly and then I commented on it. You and Sollozzo are writing term paper length responses and I am not going to read several pages of those so I can keep up with the conversation. I stand corrected, carry on.

We have injuries. They suck. Trouble scoring. Bad 3rd down offense. Pep stupid.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Trent up the middle....1 yard.......Trent up the middle....2 yards........Trent up the middle........0 yards....Trent shotgun delayed draw....8 yards.......Trent up the middle.....1 yard.......Trent up the middle....2 yards.....Trent up the middle.....0 yards......Trent delayed screen....7 yards.

See a pattern here? Trent up the middle does not work. Especially on obvious run plays. When will the light bulb go off in Pep's head? Vary it up. You are using him the Wrong way. Get him out in space. Pep. You there?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And the interior of our line is terrible.

Anyone notice that whenever Mike Wells writes articles on the Colts blog on ESPN, it always seems as though he's copying whatever the IndyStar is writing that particular day as well? He can't seem to think of anything original

After Reggie of course I think Vick Ballard was our second biggest loss because we wouldn't have gotten T-Rich to begin with and thus the whole who's the better RB debate right now with Richardson and Brown wouldn't be taking place.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Dwayne Allen was a huge blow. Also Donald Thomas.

And Ahmad Bradhaw.

Scary to think how good this offense could have been if healthy.

I think Dwayne Allen was a huge blow. Also Donald Thomas.
    I think Fleener has been pretty decent considering last season so I don't think losing Allen was as bad in comparison.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

But having both would have been huge.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I agree it would've but it was losing Ballard that pretty much lead us to make that T-Rich trade.

At least with Allen we stuck with Fleener.

But having both would have been huge.

Definitely. I can't wait until Allen comes back next year and we have the opportunity to run some nasty 2 TE sets like the Pats used to do with Gronk and Hernandez. Allen and Fleener obviously aren't as great as that lethal combo, but they are both very talented and should have very successful careers.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

This Chiefs game brings up one of those interesting schedule quirks. If the Colts beat Kansas City, there is a pretty decent chance they won't play them in the first round. If they lose, they almost certainly will.

Angerer placed on IR. I've always liked him, but I don't think he's a good 3-4 backer. His coverage was terrible

Good article from stampedeblue which breaks down how the Colts started the Texans game with a different offensive philosophy than in prior weeks:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/12/...ns-the-shotgun