Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Week 15: vs Texans

Default Re: Week 15: vs Texans

Just when everyone expects this team to lose it doesn't. I can see a playoff win or two especially if we can hold our own against KC.

Nobody really thought the Colts were going to lose today to the Texans most predicted a loss last week though.

Its all about matchups in the postseason we're playing a team that put up 56 points today and we're playing them at their stadium. It will be an interesting test for them.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who did the Bengals lose to?

They could lose tonight.

But yeah in today's NFL you can be mediocre and still win the SB having a great regular season record is worthless these days.
    The Bengals aren't a top 3 team, lol. The Pats and Broncos both lost this week and KC has looked vulnerable, lost a few weeks ago.. I also still don't have a lot of faith in Cinci. Just last week, they were tied with us, and we weren't exactly lighting it up. And they still have Dalton behind center. He's been alright, but he's due. They beat us during our lull... I don't necessarily believe that would repeat in the playoffs, if we face them.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The Bengals aren't a top 3 team, lol. The Pats and Broncos both lost this week and KC has looked vulnerable, lost a few weeks ago.. I also still don't have a lot of faith in Cinci. Just last week, they were tied with us, and we weren't exactly lighting it up. And they still have Dalton behind center. He's been alright, but he's due. They beat us during our lull... I don't necessarily believe that would repeat in the playoffs, if we face them.
    The AFC is wide open that being said record wise they are a top three team in the conference.

I could see the Colts win a playoff game but I don't think they will go to the SB every SB the Colts have played in have been in Miami.

Its weird but that's how it has always been.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No they're not... they're #4 and haven't been in top 3 all year, lol... they *are* top 3 in terms of playoff standings, but that's only because KC and Denver are in same division.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-15-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And ya.... Cinci gettin blitzed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    If a quarter and half is the differece between our offense getting better then we're ****ed, and reps against the Texans doesn't really do much for preparing for the Chiefs or whoever...
    I am not saying that time would have magically turned us into the 2006 Colts offense, but having time with your WRs against a real defense will be more helpful than getting Trent carries. Our passing game has been lackluster almost all season and any time be practice or a live game would be helpful.

It is just a different philosophy. I hate when coaches go into prevent offense and prevent defenses. Just run your system and do what you do. If the opposing defense or offense cannot stop then that is their problem.

I mean if they are just going to try and get out of there as soon as possible at least just take Luck out of there and let Matt get some reps handing the ball off.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I am not saying that time would have magically turned us into the 2006 Colts offense, but having time with your WRs against a real defense will be more helpful than getting Trent carries. Our passing game has been lackluster almost all season and any time be practice or a live game would be helpful.

It is just a different philosophy. I hate when coaches go into prevent offense and prevent defenses. Just run your system and do what you do. If the opposing defense or offense cannot stop then that is their problem.

I mean if they are just going to try and get out of there as soon as possible at least just take Luck out of there and let Matt get some reps handing the ball off.

Exactly. And it's not an either/or thing. We could have still handed the ball off to T-Rich plenty in an overall passing attack. Those of us who wanted to see the team throw more in the second half aren't saying that we wanted to literally throw on every down.

For once, I just wanted to see us completely blow a team out. That is something that has hardly ever happened with this team over the last two years. Sure, a 25-3 win can definitely be considered a blowout, but it didn't really feel like it in the second half when we only put up 5 points (only 3 on offense). For once, I just wanted to see this team play two complete halves and completely massacre an opponent.

Aside from when Polian ordered us to pull starters and quit, you would never see anything like this back in the day with Manning. Manning's timing with his receivers is as close to perfect as it can be, yet our offense with him would always try to put up points in the second halves of games even when we were winning by a large margin. The coaching staff understood that real games are the most valuable practice that one can have. Look at the Broncos now. They try to put up as many points as possible because they understand that practicing the repetition makes them a better team.

That Texans defense is still pretty decent. I liked our scheme and play calling in the first half, but seeing them play so ridiculously cautious in the second half was maddening. Luck had a great first half with T.Y., but we needed to keep that going in the second half (though he did drop that pass). For the most part, T.Y. was ignored in the second half. Furthermore, Luck could have definitely used more chemistry with Whalen in the second half. Also, where was Fleener? Not a single catch all day. We definitely should have made a point to get him going in the second half since he is such a vital part to this offense. There is one 3rd and 5 in the fourth quarter that particularly stands out. Do we throw and try to get the first down? Of course not. We run the ball, get a couple of yards, and then punt.

I'm happy about the win and I liked the play calling in the first half, but this team still has a lot that it needs to work on in the offense. We aren't good enough to just completely blow off an entire half. We need repetition repetition repetition. We had a golden opportunity for another half of practice against a solid defense, but just seemed content with getting out of there. I just think that this coaching staff is always going to handcuff Luck to an extent and that we are never going to see his full potential as long as they are here. I remember the Seattle game where he could have put the game away on something like 3rd and 9, but we didn't allow him to pass and instead took the FG and gambled on the defense. Our mentality is just too conservative. Pagano is a good coach to lay a winning foundation and culture, but I think that Luck is ultimately going to need a different coach to take him to the next level, just like Manning needed Dungy over Jim Mora, even though Mora did a pretty decent job.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-16-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Of course if we keep throwing and Da'Rick sprains his foot everyone freaks out over unnecessary passing. If we stop running it people say we are just letting Luck get hit. If we score 50 points in the 2nd half it's because Pep Hamilton is an evil sorcerer.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Of course if we keep throwing and Da'Rick sprains his foot everyone freaks out over unnecessary passing. If we stop running it people say we are just letting Luck get hit. If we score 50 points in the 2nd half it's because Pep Hamilton is an evil sorcerer.
    In the Manning era, would you have ever heard anyone say, "let's quit throwing because Marvin might sprain his foot"???? No, he actually hurt his knee when he was blocking on a RUNNING PLAY and Addai collided with him, IIRC.

It's football. Reggie Wayne got hurt bending down to get a pass without anyone laying a finger on him. Freakish stuff happens sometimes. The passing game is going to be the key to any success that we have this season. We had a golden opportunity to build on a great first half and continue to nail down our timing, but we completely threw it away. It's poor coaching that was symbolic of the type of handcuffing that Luck is going to always suffer with this coaching staff.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    You do not worry about injuries as Sollozzo pointed out they can happen at any time. What happens if Luck plants wrong when turning to hand off to Trent and tears his ACL. Injuries can happen at any point in the game. You just cannot worry about it and just do your thing. My view is our passing game is what is going to win games for us and we should have used that time to work on getting Rogers, Whalen and TY more time during the live game.

I hate any kind of prevent offense/defense as it typically prevents you from winning. Thankfully, us going into that mode after halftime did not come and bite us in the butt because we were playing a horrible offense. Even in the first half we had issues because we left to many points on the field because we settled for field goals instead of touchdowns. It would have been nice to see them make some adjustments to correct that in the second half and get a few more touchdowns out of it.

I just do not like the conservative approach. To each their own I guess.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

I would agree the Colts might have shut it down a little early, but it wasn't that early. In the 3rd quarter, the Colts called 13 pass plays to only 5 running plays. Four of those passing plays ended up being Luck scrambles or sacks, but that isn't the fault of a conservative gameplan. One of the runs was called to a wide receiver, and then they tried a fake punt at the end of it. Most of the passes were short, but that's what they were doing in the 1st half as well. I don't see any evidence they were backing off at that point.

The possession they started at 12:56 they really took the gas off. I'm not sure I agree with the assertion that Manning's teams never took the gas off. They frequently did in the 4th quarter. I think Manning's teams would have gone for one more score with that time/score situation, but then they would have shut it down later in the 4th. I think the difference is really only one or maybe two possessions worth.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, I understand that taking the foot off is not much fun, but I think it was the right thing to do. The real problem was the fact that we didn't convert some first downs on those drives. We fell a yard or two short a few times, ending drives. Our D also couldn't stop them from converting a few 3rd-and-longs. But we sort of came out throwin the 3rd, and we just didn't convert. I also think it *is* good to get our run game going. It makes it harder for upcoming defenses to key on the pass. TRich had about 60 rush yards in the second half, after getting basically blanked in the first. It was a good thing to get him going. He had only 2 negative plays in 11 carries, and averaged 5.5/carry in the second half.

25-3 is a blow-out. I think most people expect a blow-out to have 30-40 points in offense, but it was a 22 point win. That is a team blow-out. We really beat them in all phases pretty handily. About the only thing they didn't do quite well yesterday was convert on 3rd down.

But we did accomplish a few things... we had a very good defensive performance. Our secondary made amends. We reversed our recent trend of zero production in the first half. We came out throwing the ball and doing no huddle. We had a few nice STs plays. TRich had 100 yards and a TD. It was a good outing in terms of just building some confidence and momentum in key areas.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.

In the playoffs, though, I tend to go with other factors.... who has the better quarterback... which team moves the chains... which team is executing better, who's at home. That's my problem with KC... they don't have a QB that I consider better than Luck, and it will be in Indy. I'm not entirely sold on KC.
    A better QB doesn't mean much I mean Flacco beat teams lead by Manning and Brady in the playoffs do you think he's better than them? But on those days he played them he was.

Alex Smith also outplayed Drew Brees in the playoffs so yes he's capable.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trent showed up for a solid game and Pep called a good game as well. If we can get the defense rest with some long, methodical drives, we'll be in good shape
    Smothered Chicken!

Thank you Colts, didn't look forward going into the playoffs with a .500 record.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    A better QB doesn't mean much I mean Flacco beat teams lead by Manning and Brady in the playoffs do you think he's better than them? But on those days he played them he was.

Alex Smith also outplayed Drew Brees in the playoffs so yes he's capable.
    Wait, I thought it was a QB league? Flacco had a decent year last year, and he played better than both of those guys in the playoffs. I'd put money on Flacco over Alex Smith. I like Smith... but he's had some really good defenses the last few years and some pretty incredible offenses, too, don't think we'd be talking about him in the same way if otherwise. You stick Luck in San Fran or KC's offense and you know where I'm goin with that... hell, even throw Flacco in those offenses.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Wait, I thought it was a QB league? Flacco had a decent year last year, and he played better than both of those guys in the playoffs. I'd put money on Flacco over Alex Smith. I like Smith... but he's had some really good defenses the last few years and some pretty incredible offenses, too, don't think we'd be talking about him in the same way if otherwise. You stick Luck in San Fran or KC's offense and you know where I'm goin with that... hell, even throw Flacco in those offenses.
    In the regular season yes but in the postseason its still the same you need a defense and run game I have no issue with the Colts wanting to be a ground and pound team but that doesn't mean we have to hinder Luck's growth and development as a QB to do it. Which is what this coaching staff is intent on doing for some reason.

Flacco backed into the playoffs but in the regular season he's not that impressive you could say he's the AFC version of Eli Manning. Do you think overall he's a better QB than Manning or Brady? If the answer is no then being the better overall QB doesn't matter just on that day.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So then it's not a QB league, it's a team league, which is basically what I've been saying since day 1. I get so many different stories on this board, it cracks me up, lol...

Either way, my point still stands. I'm not going be peeing in my pants if we line up against KC. If Baltimore can "back into the playoffs" and then dismantle Denver, who looked unstoppable, on the road, then why can't Indy.

So then it's not a QB league, it's a team league, which is basically what I've been saying since day 1. I get so many different stories on this board, it cracks me up, lol...

Either way, my point still stands. I'm not going be peeing in my pants if we line up against KC. If Baltimore can "back into the playoffs" and then dismantle Denver, who looked unstoppable, on the road, then why can't Indy.
    That Baltimore team was just a hair away from the Super Bowl the previous year. Despite their rough stretch at the end of 2012, that was a team that had been knocking on a Super Bowl door for a long time. It's not like they came out of nowhere.

Personally, I'm not going to get high on the Colts chances to make serious noise until I see them compete against a non-AFC South opponent, which is something that they haven't done since Denver two months ago. Beating a team at home with a scrub QB which had lost 11 straight doesn't tell me too much. I'm confident that our team can smack around the putrid AFC South foes, especially in our building. I'm sure we will handle Jacksonville pretty good in two weeks. But it's been the same story since the Denver game. We beat AFC South teams, yet look absolutely awful against everyone else. The Chiefs game on Sunday will be a good bar. If we're improving, then we should at least go in there and compete. No, I'm not saying that we have to win, but I don't want to see Smith torch us like Dalton did in Cincy.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who said they came out of nowhere? What point does that make? KC was 2-14 last year, the complete opposite of Balt.

My point still stands, guys, lol.... I'm not throwing in the towel just because we had a little lull. KC could beat us, but we could beat them, too.

Who said they came out of nowhere? What point does that make? KC was 2-14 last year, the complete opposite of Balt.
    Well you said that they "backed into the playoffs", which was true. But they had shown years worth of repeated playoff success for the previous four seasons. Even though they backed into the playoffs, them getting hot and going on a run wasn't really a surprise.

I'm just saying that Baltimore had experience to fall back on. Outside of a couple players, the Colts don't. I think it would be a major major surprise if they got to the AFC Title game. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's just hard for me to buy into until I see them compete for once against a non divisional team.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly think you're in "what have you done for me lately" mindset, which is a typical NFL fan's mindset. I know you don't have any faith in this team, but this team has played closer to high-level football this year than not. They played 8 really good weeks of football, followed by 4 bad ones. The "norm" for this team is good football, not this past month. They've already shown this year they can play at a high level, beating Denver, San Fran, and Seattle... they can play good football. They just got off track. I think they'ree starting to get back on.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Well you said that they "backed into the playoffs", which was true. But they had shown years worth of repeated playoff success for the previous four seasons. Even though they backed into the playoffs, them getting hot and going on a run wasn't really a surprise.

I'm just saying that Baltimore had experience to fall back on. Outside of a couple players, the Colts don't. I think it would be a major major surprise if they got to the AFC Title game. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's just hard for me to buy into until I see them compete for once against a non divisional team.
    And KC had the first pick in the draft last year. What experience are they falling back on? The Colts at least made the playoffs last year. There's no reason to believe that this Indy team can't get a head of steam and beat KC. Remember --- this game will be in Indy.

Of course fans look at 'what have you done for me lately'.... because that is the most recent indication of where a team is at. It's compounded by the fact that earlier success was before a rash of injuries decimated the team.

None of that is saying a team can't figure it out, get the 'next man up' up to speed, and then get it going again. But you can't automatically assume that is going to happen when recent history is showing the team is absolutely struggling against any real competition at all.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: