Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: disrespecting the champs....

Mood

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: disrespecting the champs....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Heat have the best defense in the NBA outside the lane. Yes better than the Pacers.

They trap and trap hard on all pick and rolls and they get tons of deflections when they do this. It took the Pacers until the second half to adjust to the Heat's trapping, pressure, quickness and speed on defense. But their approach gives the Pacers a lot of trouble. They also front the post pretty much all the time and that takes an adjustment as few teams play that style anymore.

When we hold the ball like we did in the first half they get right into the player with the ball making it hard to move. In many ways the style the Heat play is more the style of defense played in the 90's and pre 2004. When they close out on the ball they get right into the offensive player, more than any team. And that gives us problems as it stops George Hill from starting our offense

But if the Pacers can get the ball into the lane either off the dribble or in the post then we are good. I would love to know our score rate when we get the ball into the paint on the Heat vs when we don't. It has to be something like 80% vs 30%. (I realize that difference probably exists against all teams, but not nearly that big of a difference.

People who know me know I am a defense first, second and third kind of guy. But I have said for the past 3 seasons or so that offense is the key to beaing the Heat. Get the ball inside and we are in great shape - but getting the ball inside on them is difficult, very difficult, especially for us. But our ability to do so IMO determines whether we beat them or not.
    I echo all of this, and I'll add that I think the defensive intensity Miami was displaying caught up with them because they looked more tired than the Pacers by the end. It comes at that price, and I think as long as we keep fighting back we can hang around as they get tired (or expand a lead if we're shooting well from outside).

Additionally, the other weakness of trapping and double teams is that once the offense has a feel for it they will relax and make the right pass more often, which weakens it's effectiveness as well. We saw that in the second half, and I think in a playoff series they will have to keep tweaking their defense or else we will get too comfortable with it. That's one of the chess matches to come.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Heat have the best defense in the NBA outside the lane. Yes better than the Pacers.

They trap and trap hard on all pick and rolls and they get tons of deflections when they do this. It took the Pacers until the second half to adjust to the Heat's trapping, pressure, quickness and speed on defense. But their approach gives the Pacers a lot of trouble. They also front the post pretty much all the time and that takes an adjustment as few teams play that style anymore.

When we hold the ball like we did in the first half they get right into the player with the ball making it hard to move. In many ways the style the Heat play is more the style of defense played in the 90's and pre 2004. When they close out on the ball they get right into the offensive player, more than any team. And that gives us problems as it stops George Hill from starting our offense

But if the Pacers can get the ball into the lane either off the dribble or in the post then we are good. I would love to know our score rate when we get the ball into the paint on the Heat vs when we don't. It has to be something like 80% vs 30%. (I realize that difference probably exists against all teams, but not nearly that big of a difference.

People who know me know I am a defense first, second and third kind of guy. But I have said for the past 3 seasons or so that offense is the key to beaing the Heat. Get the ball inside and we are in great shape - but getting the ball inside on them is difficult, very difficult, especially for us. But our ability to do so IMO determines whether we beat them or not.

I think it took too long for us to adjust. Paul kept curling and they kept trapping. The skip pass would have worked for a West jumper on a couple of possessions. Bosh can't play the gap on the baseline with Roy.

I want to see the loop ran. We did it in the preseason but I think it has gone away. Putting Paul through multiple screens stops the trap and opens up the floor. The Spurs do this great. Even if Green or Parker are open the wait until the defense begins to respond. Leaving more cracks than a preschooler with a porcelain doll.

I want Lance to get ahold of that shooting coach. He needs to revisit what he has learned. It is fine to work on it in the off season, but working on it when routines are busted can help.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I want Lance to get ahold of that shooting coach. He needs to revisit what he has learned. It is fine to work on it in the off season, but working on it when routines are busted can help.
    Can he invite Orlando to join them?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's pretty crazy that the Walsh/Pritchard combo had cap space and tons of flexibility, yet they couldn't even bring in one single player who could give us multiple years of very solid production. It's pretty bad when Mahinmi is the "best" of their additions (i.e. the only one who wasn't dumped after one year). Then Bird immediately comes back and adds Scola and Watson, despite not having much flexibility at all. I don't like the Cope signing, but I'm not going to cry about it too much since Scola and Watson made the off-season a huge win.

I know that Bird had his personal reasons for leaving for that year and that's his business, but losing him for that one super important off-season was very unfortunate.
    How many times have you posted this exact same thing? It's a broken record at this point.
    @qandrews9428

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    The Heat radio people were up in arms this morning about how they think that should have been a flagrant foul.
    Got a video of it? I'd love to see a replay.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    How many times have you posted this exact same thing? It's a broken record at this point.

You get on me for beating a dead horse, yet your sig contains a post in which you are clearly trying to permanently mock the poster Dece. So who's really beating the dead horse?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'd really like to see the Flop by Lebron where he was holding his nose for the next minute. I genuinely thought he got smacked and thats why they didn't call the quick travel as he lumbered a few steps with the ball before getting his dribble.... perhaps the officials quickly realized that he flopped and thats why they called him for the travel in the lane at the other end of floor so quickly.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You get on me for beating a dead horse, yet your sig contains a post in which you are clearly trying to permanently mock the poster Dece. So who's really beating the dead horse?
    A signature is different than making the exact same post over and over again. How am I trying to mock a poster? He said that, I'm simply quoting what he had to say. And honestly, that was one of the more ridiculous posts I've ever seen. If Dece wants me to take it down, I gladly will. However, constant negativity is not the answer. Neither is blind homerism. I try to find an unbiased balance between the two.
    @qandrews9428

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    A signature is different than making the exact same post over and over again. How am I trying to mock a poster? He said that, I'm simply quoting what he had to say. And honestly, that was one of the more ridiculous posts I've ever seen. If Dece wants me to take it down, I gladly will. However, constant negativity is not the answer. Neither is blind homerism. I try to find an unbiased balance between the two.
    Dece is not coming back you can take it down.

DG for 3

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

Mood

I love Luis Scola. That beautiful *******.

Haha, yeah I heard that ^.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can hear Lance (or someone else) yell "He's faking" after this happened (didn't happen). Glad to see the refs figuring this out too.
    YES! That was hilarious and very audible. I can't even worry about LeBron's flop when you see Chalmers throwing himself on the ground like a small child.

Great game though. I think the Pacers go as Lance goes, and vice versa, to a degree. Lance had the 3 point play, the three pointer, and a nice assist to West that all boosted our momentum in my opinion.

^^ Good. Glad someone else heard it. Thx.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    ^ you rock. I went through it and although it appears he didn't get hit in the eye, it was very close. Wish it was more obvious.

One thing I know is the Heat hate Lance Stephenson. Guarantee if Lebron faked that it was because of Stephenson. They are always trying to get calls on him.

Lebron took it personal on that Stephenson dunk at the end and I love it. He also said that Hibbert gets away with the verticallity rule more than anyone else. I love how much we annoy them. There was a good amount of no calls on those Mario Chalmers flops too. As much crap as lebron gets, Mario Chalmers is by far the worst flopper on the Heat team.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

I thought Ian played alright on defense last night. Do you guys remember what used to happen to us when Roy went to the bench and Lou was playing "center" Lebron would rip off 10-0 scoring runs by himself. That doesn't happen with Ian, but yeah his offense sucks and he goes through rebounding droughts that bother me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I will never complain about a Lebron flop because Battier and Chalmers are literally the two biggest flopping *****es I have ever seen on the same team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

it is amazing to have such a smart team, smart coaches and players who can adjust to what is going on within a game. That aspect reminds me of the late 90's team
    I loved Vogel's quote a few weeks ago where he said the starting five has turned into "a bunch of math experts" or something along those lines. They are apparently really taking on the intellectual side of the game.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Lebron took it personal on that Stephenson dunk at the end and I love it. He also said that Hibbert gets away with the verticallity rule more than anyone else. I love how much we annoy them. There was a good amount of no calls on those Mario Chalmers flops too. As much crap as lebron gets, Mario Chalmers is by far the worst flopper on the Heat team.
    You can't "get away with" a rule. That makes no sense if he said that. Chalmers makes me so mad. He doesn't just flop, he throws himself on the ground or across the court...and just laughs about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I will never complain about a Lebron flop because Battier and Chalmers are literally the two biggest flopping *****es I have ever seen on the same team.
    Exactly. It is pathetic and just shows you obviously can't legitimately defend someone.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    I can't tell from that video.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

33. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I thought Ian played alright on defense last night. Do you guys remember what used to happen to us when Roy went to the bench and Lou was playing "center" Lebron would rip off 10-0 scoring runs by himself. That doesn't happen with Ian, but yeah his offense sucks and he goes through rebounding droughts that bother me.
    This is a post by me a couple of months ago when Ian's postseason defense against Miami was questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    0.7 blocks in those 8 minutes, which is pretty damn good. Guess you don't remember LeBron going straight at Ian and Ian doing Hibberts infamous straight up move during Game 1 that resulted in a wild shot attempt. The guy averaged 9mins on the road, and .9 blocks to go with it. I guess he should be closer to 1.5 every 10mins in order to get some love though.

To put it in persepective, Roy averaged 36.6 mpg and 1.9 bpg, so that breaks down to 0.0246 bpm. Ian with his 8.3mpg and his .7 bpg, breaks down to 0.0843 bpm.
    And for how bad Ian was supposedly defensively last night, the Pacers with him on the floor only gave up 16 total points in his 11 minutes. That's less than a point and a half a minute, which would be a scoring average of 72pts through 48mins. It's really hard to believe, even with his fouls, that we're seriously going to complain about holding the supposed best offense in the world to such pedestrian scoring.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This is a post by me a couple of months ago when Ian's postseason defense against Miami was questioned.

And for how bad Ian was supposedly defensively last night, the Pacers with him on the floor only gave up 16 total points in his 11 minutes. That's less than a point and a half a minute, which would be a scoring average of 72pts through 48mins. It's really hard to believe, even with his fouls, that we're seriously going to complain about holding the supposed best offense in the world to such pedestrian scoring.
    I think Roy is ruining Ian's image.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Replay on NBA TV NOW !!

Enjoy ..........

Sports Logo

IMO Part of the issue with Ian is that this time last year Hibbert was not really playing well so the drop off was almost nil, Roy has continued the solid work he put in late last year and through the playoffs, in other words he has gotten dramatically better but Ian has stayed the same so it is a bigger drop-off. Plus players do go through slumps and I think he is in one. Long road trips also tend to wear guys down lets see how he does after a couple of days off with no late flights, no taking a bus for hours in the fog etc.... this really was the road-trip from hell for the Pacers.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I can't tell from that video.
    I can't either…but using the context that he acted like he got hit then played a full possession then acted like he got hit a bit more after he traveled…I'm going to surmise he didn't get hit.
    DG for 3

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post: