Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 12/10/13

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 12/10/13

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

he's not exactly wrong
    Or, it may just be that Roy has more verticality than anyone else.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Smits was so tall. He gave problems to everybody he played against. Even Shak had trouble shooting over him.
    He was also (off the top of my head) the best 7' all mid range shooter I've ever seen... until Dirk (tho I suspect Dirk is 6 10 1/2 ish).

That being said, Roy surpassed Rik's overall game influence - at least since the time of last years playoffs. Not since Mutumbo (or that thick monster in D town... that I'm too drunk to name) has anyone so discouraged activity in the paint. It is a beautiful thing! Ewing and ZO Had similar defensive prowess. And that was in a fine age of balanced physical ball.

Roy is a monster.
    And we still have not seen his peak.
    Last edited by solid; 12-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear View Post
    Ref Obstructs Indiana's George Hill on a Fast Break
    Throughout the baseball season we heard too many reports about umpires admitting they messed up the next day. It's happened too many times during the current NFL season too. How about the NBA season? Can it escape the gaffes that the other major sports have had?

Indiana's George Hill would say no after Wednesday night's game against the Miami Heat:

Ref Obstructs Indiana's George Hill on a Fast Break
    It was Lance, not George Hill.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure that Roy would have lots more blocks if guy's still had the 'nads to "bring it" into his vicinity.

Smothered Chicken baby!

It's all good. Take that weak stuff back outside.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Somebody explain what this paragraph from Windhorst on ESPN means:

The Heat are so modern with their multi-position, centerless attack that values creating turnovers more than rebounds and efficient shots more than even wide-open inefficient ones. They seem to ignore all their opponents, even when they're successful. They stick to the boring script when it comes to their true motivations, wanting their actions to settle things.
    Literally, none of the three sentences make sense.

Bosh has a good quote though:

Or, as Chris Bosh said before the game: "It's hard to play like there's no tomorrow when, you know, there is."
    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-renew-rivalry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    That was a championship caliber performance in the second half.
    It started the last 90 sec. of first half.
    OH MY GOD!! If our guys actually learn how to pass vs pressure, it won't be a game. Hill and George were not ready to play. Pacers were totally surprised by double teams and tried to DRIBBLE against it for some unknown reason. Big Roy and DWest kept us in the game until everyone else woke up. That's what great teams do though. Someone picks up the slack. One or two guys don't have to do it every minute of every game.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7 View Post
    Maybe ESPN needs to take their talents to Indiana Beach!
    If they do I hope they get in contact. I've got many a Donnelly Picnic story to tell. Could tie it in somehow, was probably wearing some Pacers gear at some point, went to like 10 of em.

Bwhahaha. Bleacher Report for the "win"!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-never-off-it

You see, even before they lost to the Heat in seven games in the 2013 Eastern Conference finals, and especially after, the Pacers have openly displayed an obsession toward the Heat that rivals the creepiest work Kathy Bates, Glenn Close and Jennifer Jason Leigh have done on screen. So it continued after their Tuesday shootaround, when Roy Hibbert acknowledged he was "pretty amped up about this game," Paul George admitted that he had Miami on his mind during all his summer training, Lance Stephenson characterized the evening's affair as a "championship game" four times in 47 seconds and Vogel repeated his oft-stated goal of earning the No. 1 seed to avoid another Game 7 in South Florida.

What did Chris Bosh think of all this emphasis on a single contest in December?

"It’s not a championship game," Bosh said. "It’s the 21st game for us. We’re trying to wrap up this road trip. Championship game, there is no tomorrow. It’s very tough to play like there’s no tomorrow when there is."

He expressed his certainty that "they circled this date on the calendar a long time ago."

So when did he?

"Yesterday."

Then he left to take what he called "the Super Bowl of naps.
    "
    That season includes three more meetings between the team, the next coming next Wednesday in Miami.

Apparently, many players are aware of that encounter. West revealed as much when asked if the Heat respected Indiana.

"I think so," West said. "We play one another, we know we're going to get their best shot, they know they're going to get our best shot. Guys are already out there talking about next week. So it is what it is."

Who?

"Everybody. Everybody."

He smiled.

"We know that's a game on our schedule," West said. "We talk about being better on the road. That's a game that we have circled. Quite sure they have it circled as well."

Eh, probably not 'til Tuesday
    I've got some nice beachfront property to sell you.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    It started the last 90 sec. of first half.
    OH MY GOD!! If our guys actually learn how to pass vs pressure, it won't be a game. Hill and George were not ready to play. Pacers were totally surprised by double teams and tried to DRIBBLE against it for some unknown reason. Big Roy and DWest kept us in the game until everyone else woke up. That's what great teams do though. Someone picks up the slack. One or two guys don't have to do it every minute of every game.
    If the Pacers offense ever learned to move without the ball in order to improve spacing or open a passing lane, that would help immensely.

We seem to get very bogged down, even when a defender leaves to double or trap we don't take advantage and try to improve the angles. We just stay in place hoping the play will get back on track.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If the Pacers offense ever learned to move without the ball in order to improve spacing or open a passing lane, that would help immensely.

We seem to get very bogged down, even when a defender leaves to double or trap we don't take advantage and try to improve the angles. We just stay in place hoping the play will get back on track.
    I think they were trying to exploit match-ups instead of ball movement and player movement. That didn't work did it? And our passing??!! OMG, we just throw it and hope. I don't know if that is not respecting the defense, lack of concentration or just a lack of actual passing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Bwhahaha. Bleacher Report for the "win"!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-never-off-it

I've got some nice beachfront property to sell you.
    What idiots. Yup, the heat clearly just came out and just kinda went through the motions last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If I never hear the phrase, "Statement game" again it will be too soon. I personally think that phrase is 100% meaningless. Why so much of the discussion is about a meaningless phrase is beyond me. Sad thing is there are so many interesting actual basketball things to discuss about the heat vs pacers matchup.
    I get that, but I'm sick of hearing people downplay the importance of that game too. Call it a statement game, call it whatever you want, but that game was huge. From a purely statistical viewpoint that game was only slightly more important than beating the bobcats, but for morale, momentum and for the fans, it was much much bigger.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    What idiots. Yup, the heat clearly just came out and just kinda went through the motions last night...
    They've certainly given the air of not caring. IF they are to be believed that this is "just another game" to them, maybe they should have tried a little harder to make it "just another win" instead of "a loss to the first place team, which pushes us that much further out of first".

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    I think they were trying to exploit match-ups instead of ball movement and player movement. That didn't work did it? And our passing??!! OMG, we just throw it and hope. I don't know if that is not respecting the defense, lack of concentration or just a lack of actual passing ability.
    Yeah. I don't understand how you can exploit match-ups when you let the negative mismatch dictate the next step in the play (i.e. you get a guy free on a double or a mismatch on the switch but the guy doubled/trapped/fighting a mismatch of his own is left to hang out there). Sometimes you have to help facilitate the passer.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

Agreed, we are terrible at giving passers good passing angles. Even in out of bounds plays, especially on the baseline, we always seem to have trouble getting the ball in cause we have terrible spacing and all we don't do anything but run to a point then not move around much. I'm surprised we haven't been called for 5 seconds yet on those.

btw, last nights game set the viewers record for NBAtv. Pretty impressive when you consider that NONE of those in the Indianapolis market saw it on there.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    btw, last nights game set the viewers record for NBAtv. Pretty impressive when you consider that NONE of those in the Indianapolis market saw it on there.
    Damn, those Pacers sure can't draw the TV ratings. Good decision on keeping them off of national TV NBA, good decision.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Damn, those Pacers sure can't draw the TV ratings. Good decision on keeping them off of national TV NBA, good decision.
    I honestly have no idea why every Pacers-Heat game is no on national TV. Are the networks and NBA blind to the fact that people love to watch big rivalries. It doesn't matter the market size of the two teams involved, these rivalry games always get a huge turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I honestly have no idea why every Pacers-Heat game is no on national TV. Are the networks and NBA blind to the fact that people love to watch big rivalries. It doesn't matter the market size of the two teams involved, these rivalry games always get a huge turnout.
    Plus people love to see the Heat lose.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Hey now, at least we have a Christmas Day game coming up. I just read that 10 teams play on Christmas, so I'm sure that the Pacers are easily one of those 10 since they made the Final 4 last year and took the Heat to 7, right? They gotta be.

God this league is an all out joke when it comes to giving teams national exposure. We helped set the NBA TV record, yet the NBA didn't think that a Heat-Pacers ABC game was worth their time?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Maybe it's their non-chalant way at looking at all their regular season games since they simply "flip the switch" during the Playoffs.....but that just seems to be the way that the Heat are. They have the luxury of having the Best Player in the NBA and doing this. Whereas the Pacers are in a different position.....they want to win every game to make a real run at home court advantage. Add in that this is a game against their perceived rival and you know which Team is taking this game seriously.

Just watch...if we end up losing next weeks road game....the Heat won't respond with their "it's just another Team/Game" approach to the game ( just like it was for this last game ), they will be all like "We are the champs and we were sick and tired of hearing that they were the Best Team in the League". Whereas the Pacers will do the exact opposite and downplay the importance of the game.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'm over the whole "not on national TV" thing. If the execs don't want to show the Pacers, then screw em (although I personally prefer that we not have a Christmas Day game, I don't like the idea of having to bring in staff to work that day, plus I can't make the game without being kicked out of the will again ).

We ALL know what happens when our fans adopt the "**** the world" stance and just go nuts for the Pacers, there is NO fanbase that can compete with just how INSANE Bankers Life Fieldhouse becomes.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

That was another season low btw. How many is that now for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's beautiful to see a great home court advantage again. That crowd seemed so loud and intense last night. The Pacers are once again a "cool" thing to do again.
    I think this is a really key point, and why I think this was such a huge win.

When I was growing up in Indiana (esp. 80s-early 90s) there was just this vibe that our pro sports teams just weren't "cool." No one said it that way but it seemed like the popular kid at school would be wearing the Jordan jersey and one of the nerdy kids maybe had a Pacers baseball cap. Colts were the same to a different extent. They just didn't resonate with the local culture that well it felt like. Like you didn't want to "be seen" as a fan of that team, they were the nerd teams. Not sure if this is making any sense but that was the underlying impression I had growing up in jr. high and high school in the 80s/90s (of course I was a nerd so I was both a Pacers and Colts fan early on .

That seemed to change with the Pacers in the early 90s, first with the Celtics playoff series, then exploding with the 94 playoff run, and later with the Colts in the late Harbaugh era into the Peyton Manning era. But it took time and for years and years felt very fragile to me, like if the Colts or Pacers had a few bad years it would all go away.

I don't live in Indy anymore but when I left in 2006 there was still a post-brawl malaise/resignation happening, and the off-court incidents first turned folks away and then the JOB era made the Pacers "uncool" again.

Now even here in SF people at my office today I overheard different people talking about last night's Pacers-Heat game. My coworkers are jealous and awed that I drafted PG and Hibbert for my fantasy team (I'm killing BTW, as soon as Michael-Carter Williams comes back . The Pacers are an actual "cool" team, which I don't think was true even last year until possibly the very last games of the ECF.

Of course that comes with bandwagon fans and all that, but if that's your worst problem as a fan you are in great shape my friend.

This current run is finally, I think, healing whatever post-brawl damage had been done to the team's fanbase, at least on a national level. I would think that wins like this one are really really important in solidifying the locals who are paying attention right now to be longer-term, more hardcore fans.
    Last edited by rabid; 12-11-2013 at 11:26 PM.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I'm over the whole "not on national TV" thing. If the execs don't want to show the Pacers, then screw em (although I personally prefer that we not have a Christmas Day game, I don't like the idea of having to bring in staff to work that day, plus I can't make the game without being kicked out of the will again ).

We ALL know what happens when our fans adopt the "**** the world" stance and just go nuts for the Pacers, there is NO fanbase that can compete with just how INSANE Bankers Life Fieldhouse becomes.
    But it doesn't screw them. It screws the Pacers. They're going to get their pudding, with or without the Pacers. But the more the Pacers are on national TV, the more they grow their brand.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: