Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 12/10/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 12/10/13

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This current run is finally, I think, healing whatever post-brawl damage had been done to the team's fanbase, at least on a national level. I would think that wins like this one are really really important in solidifying the locals who are paying attention right now to be longer-term, more hardcore fans.
    Great post.

This point is key. Last year's run will be remembered as the complete rebirth of the franchise. The lockout 2011-12 season certainly laid the seeds. That was when the Pacers became a very good team who won a lot of games and a playoff series before being competitive against Miami. However, the only team we eliminated in the playoffs that year was an Orlando team without Dwight Howard. Now it's certainly not our fault that he didn't play, but beating an Orlando team without their big star wasn't exactly the type of thing that generates an excess of buzz. But then last season we eliminated a 54 win Knick team who had been extremely hyped nationally. We did it in front of a huge national audience. Also, we were able to play on all of the old 90's Hicks-Knicks memories with Reggie. It was just the absolute perfect storm of getting fans back. People couldn't ignore a Pacer team who was whooping up on the Knicks. Then everything after that against Miami was complete icing on the cake. Last year's playoffs left people walking away thinking "wow, these Pacers are a very good team who have extremely likable players."

I think that the nasty wounds of 2004-2010 have finally healed. It took time, it wasn't easy, but we got there. Hell, just go back three years ago to December 2010 when we were still being tormented by Jim O'Brien. It's absolutely phenomenal just how quickly things have transformed in a very short period. In recent years, everything this franchise has touched has turned into complete gold. I guess that's what happens when Basketball Jesus gets to mold a team his way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    But it doesn't screw them. It screws the Pacers. They're going to get their pudding, with or without the Pacers. But the more the Pacers are on national TV, the more they grow their brand.

This is why I have infinitely more respect for the NFL as a business. If you're good in the NFL, they reward you with some prime time games the following the season. The Colts had a solid 11-5 season last year, so the NFL game them two Sunday Night games and a Monday Night game this season. Pretty fair.

Contrast that with how the NBA does things. You can eliminate the hyped big market Knicks and then take the Heat to Game 7 of the ECF's with a young up and coming star, but since you play in a cornfield, the NBA doesn't deem you worthy of getting one single ABC game.

It would be unrealistic to ever expect the NBA to be the NFL. But that doesn't mean that there aren't certain business aspects of the NFL which the NBA should seek to emulate. Both are professional sports. It's not like we're comparing Proctor and Gamble to the Pacers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But it doesn't screw them. It screws the Pacers. They're going to get their pudding, with or without the Pacers. But the more the Pacers are on national TV, the more they grow their brand.
    Guerrilla marketing, amigo. Think of it this way, if ABC don't want to get on the Paul George bandwagon, then it IS going to screw them, especially as the Knicks and Nets continue to suck . The demand to see him is only going to rise, and rise, and rise. We're closing in on averaging 17,000 people a night now, and are already filling over 91% of our building, without needing ABC games during the regular season.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Guerrilla marketing, amigo. Think of it this way, if ABC don't want to get on the Paul George bandwagon, then it IS going to screw them, especially as the Knicks and Nets continue to suck . The demand to see him is only going to rise, and rise, and rise. We're closing in on averaging 17,000 people a night now, and are already filling over 91% of our building, without needing ABC games during the regular season.

The Pacers need to start building their brand beyond Indy. I'm not saying the Pacers need to, or will, turn into the Bulls but part of what makes them so viable is that their popularity extends further out than Chicago. I bet most of those attending and watching games are more concentrated in the Indy area. I know the Pacers don't get any love up here in Muncie. They've got to find a way to expand outside of the 20-30 miles radius. Having a peak high of 151,000 households watching on FSN is nice, and a great start to building something, but to put it into perspective that's out of 3,000,000 households and a population of about 7,000,000. That's about one 1 TV per 20, so if you can increase that to even 1.5 out of 20, you'd be adding 60,000-70,000 more people.

EDIT: On a related note, about an hour before game time I get a text from a Bulls buddy saying he was coming into town due to work and wanted to come watch the game with us. He's not a douchey Bulls fans so it wasn't any problem, but as we were talking he starts saying about how he likes all of the Pacers players, even moreso than the Bulls. He said he watching much more of the Pacers, so maybe they're slowly starting to convert some, or atleast one.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-12-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

It's coming, my local Meijer just across the Hendricks/Marion County line actually carries Pacer gear now after ignoring them in favor of the Bengals and Kentucky (yeah, it pissed me off) for years.

And again, as people see more and more of PG, those numbers are GOING to rise. There's going to be a national appeal to see him play, and its coming very quickly.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

And that's important. Do people realize just how much money the team makes on the jersey sales outside their own area? The Heat pull in quite a bit on their share of the LBJ jersey sales, same with Lakers and Kobe.

Add to that the fact that national TV appearances legitimize the local games to local advertisers, meaning the will spend more money on ads, meaning the local TV contract is potentially more lucrative, meaning a higher $ figure for it.

Add that ABC is OVER THE AIR broadcast, not cable only. We've had people crying for a long time that you have to have cable to see the Pacers so how can you cheer for them? PLUS, if there are a blue million national games (like Miami for instance), a smaller number of local broadcast games increases the chances of at least a few of them being broadcast on a local over-the-air station (fewer pre-empts needed).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If they do I hope they get in contact. I've got many a Donnelly Picnic story to tell. Could tie it in somehow, was probably wearing some Pacers gear at some point, went to like 10 of em.
    As in RR Donnelly? I believe they have a plant in Warsaw(my hometown) growing up I too went to Indiana Beach my dad worked for Zimmer and it a paid trip every summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    In recent years, everything this franchise has touched has turned into complete gold.
    Everything? You sure that everything is All Gold?

You made me do this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Just heard this on the radio-

(edit- looked it up too)

http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20131211

No Miami player scored more than 17 points Tuesday. LeBron James (17 points), Dwyane Wade (17), and Chris Bosh (12) were all held in check. This was the 196th regular-season game that Miami's Big Three have played together, but it was the first loss in which none of them scored at least 20 points.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-12-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post: