Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 12/10/13

Default Re: Pacers/Heat Postgame Thread 12/10/13

People acting like this game meant nothing is talking out of their ***...Miami came out as active as I've ever seen them tonight.
    On the Lance bandwagon

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

thread on realgm forum has 85 pages. but they don't care about this game. people are sharing twitter photos heat players took with justin timberlake after the game as an evidence of players not giving a ****. man it's so easy to hate heat fans. they are nothing but spoiled idiots.
    Last edited by xtacy; 12-11-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Sports Logo

I know that many here don't agree....but I think that this was a Statement Game that the Local Fan Base needed to see.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Happy Birthday Roy Hibbert. A spectacular 24 point performance against Miami tonight.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zaldylee For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that many here don't agree....but I think that this was a Statement Game that the Local Fan Base needed to see.
    Sorta, I guess? I think it was a "statement" that's going to hopefully go a long way with non-diehards, but I dunno, it's a great win, but not like I feel like the Pacers are better now than I thought they were yesterday. I'm not discounting it whatsoever, I'm probably downplaying it if anything, but in terms of long term support, I just think it really helps support among "casual fans." "Casual fans" become die hard fans as long as you give em a reason. Games like this make them more invested, it's building a brand, sinking blue and gold claws in. The Pacers are a hot ticket again.

We're 150+ some odd posts into a post game thread against the two time defending champs. I wasn't there so I don't know, but there were plenty of PDers that were and there hasn't been a single post, here or on the Pacers fans I follow on Twitter, about "too many Heat fans." No "more mustard than ketchup" stuff. Not that I was trying to look for them, but I can't remember a single person in the crowd in a Heat jersey. Last year in the playoffs I remember a dude sitting front row in a Lebron jersey being a Miami douche. I do remember some dude in a yellow button down right next to Spoelstra's seat going insane in the second half about every call against the Pacers.

We have a homecourt advantage again guys. And it's great.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Sorta, I guess? I think it was a "statement" that's going to hopefully go a long way with non-diehards, but I dunno, it's a great win, but not like I feel like the Pacers are better now than I thought they were yesterday. I'm not discounting it whatsoever, I'm probably downplaying it if anything, but in terms of long term support, I just think it really helps support among "casual fans." "Casual fans" become die hard fans as long as you give em a reason. Games like this make them more invested, it's building a brand, sinking blue and gold claws in. The Pacers are a hot ticket again.

We're 150+ some odd posts into a post game thread against the two time defending champs. I wasn't there so I don't know, but there were plenty of PDers that were and there hasn't been a single post, here or on the Pacers fans I follow on Twitter, about "too many Heat fans." No "more mustard than ketchup" stuff. Not that I was trying to look for them, but I can't remember a single person in the crowd in a Heat jersey. Last year in the playoffs I remember a dude sitting front row in a Lebron jersey being a Miami douche. I do remember some dude in a yellow button down right next to Spoelstra's seat going insane in the second half about every call against the Pacers.

We have a homecourt advantage again guys. And it's great.
    For us long-time PDers.....we know that it's more of an important game ( for Home Court Advantage ) than an actual Statement game ( cuz there are 3 other that we still have to play ). But for the Casual fans....they have to see that we are legit by beating a "Brand Name" team like the Heat. You'd think that having the best record in the NBA would do that.....but I'm guessing many of the "Casual Fans" don't know that the Pacers are the best Defensive Team in the League, they don't know about any of the Players on the roster outside of PG24, GH and Hibbert. I agree with you....seeing the Pacers beat the Heat lays a strong foundation and will likely bring more of them back...which is what we want.

As you say...the Pacers are a hot ticket again.....winning games like this at Home can go a long way. It's a Statement that the Pacers needed to make in front of the Homecourt.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-11-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

and whataya say we stop whining about media coverage

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

it was a great win but it was just one game of the regular season, statement ? yes but it was just one game. When we beat them in the playoffs thats when ill be jumping for joy.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Nah, dude was a little tooly I guess but way better than I'd have done in that situation. They handled it well, easy to see why they like each other, good chemistry. Woulda preferred dude went for the ether dagger with the "YO CWEBB, TIMEOUT..." when he was trying to crack jokes, but hindsight's 20/20.
    Chris Webber was a complete and utter dick. I am shocked that he was THAT unprofessional. It was so bad I honestly feel like he should get suspended or lose his job or something. To get some guy to agree to come out of his comfort zone and just bash him publicly is pretty ridiculous.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Chris Webber was a complete and utter dick. I am shocked that he was THAT unprofessional. It was so bad I honestly feel like he should get suspended or lose his job or something. To get some guy to agree to come out of his comfort zone and just bash him publicly is pretty ridiculous.
    Eh. Not like he was interviewing Jackie O or something. All in good fun, dude handled it well, good on him. Got some tix, whatever, fun was had for all I'm sure.

Sports Logo

Hey, all you old dudes.

Thought experiment. Replace current Roy with circa 2000 Smits. Not subbing, replace. How's that go? I watched it, but I was also 16 and learning to drive and...stuff.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Hey, all you old dudes.

Thought experiment. Replace current Roy with circa 2000 Smits. Not subbing, replace. How's that go? I watched it, but I was also 16 and learning to drive and...stuff.
    Smits wasn't a rim protector. I love Rik, but he wouldn't fit nearly as well as Roy.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Smits wasn't a rim protector. I love Rik, but he wouldn't fit nearly as well as Roy.
    Right, but Rik was an honest to goodness offensive threat against dudes his own size

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's amazingly clear that Roy is in Lebron's head. He has zero interest in challenging the rim. He can blame how the call the game or whatever, but the refs aren't making Lebron airball layups at the rim.
    He "takes people out of their game"... After the meeting at the summit, which bloodied Hibbert's nose and resulted in a missed shot. James crapped his pants for the rest of the game.

I was so proud of Hibbert tonight... that was straight up denial of the best player in the NBA.

Strong.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I saw him over the summer, and he just looked gimpy.
    He looked better in pregame shootaround last night, but I don't think he's anywhere near ready to go in meaningful NBA minutes.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Let me see what the TV version is doing first. I don't know why people keep thinking ESPN web site proves anything - a lot of people won't see that because they go straight to the "HEAT Check" section.

That said, PJ spent a lot of time talking about PG yesterday, and it was practically the only non-NFL coverage except for Kobe, so it may be thawing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    well from all the Eric Gordon posts I assumed LN.. but then I misspoke bc Gordon went to NC. I get those two mixed up all the time.

my bad.
    I haven't lived in Indy for 15 years, but random people in town can refer to my high school by initials and everybody knows who they're talking about. I love Indiana.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I watched the whole thing and I would hardly call the ending "bizarre". I mean, I guess it was a little weird that down 7 with like 22 seconds remaining the game the Heat just kind of gave up like it was over and let Hill throw the ball to a wide open Lance under the basket for a dunk, but it didn't matter and wasn't a big deal.
    No, he meant the "fastbreak-ref-goaltend-tip" sequence. It was pretty weird.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Maybe ESPN needs to take their talents to Indiana Beach!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Harddrive7 For This Useful Post:

So if you go to the Sportscenter website, the Pacers-Heat have the top video.

http://espn.go.com/video/sportscenter

That's a shockingly bad recap. Just awful. I haven't watched Sportscenter in ages, and crap like that demonstrates why.

EDIT: for comparison, look how much better the NBA.com recap is.
    Last edited by Anthem; 12-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm pretty sure that our best home record is when we went 36-5 in the first year of the Fieldhouse (99-00 when we wen to the Finals).

We're 10-0 now. I'm beginning to think that we can give that 36-5 record a serious run for its money. We'll probably lose a couple at home to good (West) teams, and will probably have a "WTF loss" to a garbage team that comes in here and catches us on a bad night where our guard is down, but I just don't see us losing more than 5 games at home this year. We're just becoming near impossible to beat at home.

It's beautiful to see a great home court advantage again. That crowd seemed so loud and intense last night. The Pacers are once again a "cool" thing to do again.

If I never hear the phrase, "Statement game" again it will be too soon. I personally think that phrase is 100% meaningless. Why so much of the discussion is about a meaningless phrase is beyond me. Sad thing is there are so many interesting actual basketball things to discuss about the heat vs pacers matchup.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

After a night to sleep on it, I still think we sucked last night. We can't play like that and expect to win too many. 21 turnovers? You kidding me? The Georges gave us a combined 16 minutes of good basketball. I'm hoping it was just fatigue from the long road trip.

I am going to post several links to articles about the game last night.

good article about what PG did after losing game 7 in Miami last year
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/first-s...070857702.html

Nice general article about the game last night.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489184

"I thought we brought it tonight," James said. "We know they're a very good defensive team. I thought they hit some tough shots and they attacked the rim real well but even though they had us down by 10 rebounds, I thought we rebounded well and we battled."

"Anytime you get into this kind of a slugfest with them, where you're down six to eight points, it feels like it's a 20-point lead," Bosh said. "We know they're a good team. We know what their goals are, we know what our goals are, we want to keep building to be a complete team for the spring."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-renew-rivalry

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-131210/heat-pacers-renew-rivalry

Promising Start For A Season Of Heated RivalsBy Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- Regardless of how they may try to insulate themselves from letdown or criticism by debating the terms of the word "rivalry," there's only one thing you need to know about how the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers view each other.

In the waning seconds of the Pacers' 90-84 win Tuesday night, as the players waited for the clock to run out they used the time to start barking at each other. The basic message, cleaned up, was this: " We'll see you next week."

If there's a way to determine what games matter to players, it's when they know the date of the next game without having to look at their pocket schedule.

"Everybody was talking," Pacers forward David West said. "We circle them on our calendar and they circle us. We'll see them in Miami next week."

This was a quality win for the Pacers, who have focused their entire regular season on finishing ahead of the Heat to assure home-court advantage for the playoffs. But there was no yellow rope rolled out to remind the Heat of their season's mortality. Or, as Chris Bosh said before the game: "It's hard to play like there's no tomorrow when, you know, there is."

Instead, it was a mostly entertaining stage-setter. As the rest of the East embarrassingly languishes below .500, the Pacers and Heat just had the first round of what could be an 11-game bout between now and June. It took until the 10th meeting between the two teams last season to settle matters.

The challenge has only intensified, and the failure of many of their peers has made this a premier matchup in the league. Tuesday showed just how much promise it has for drama and how much uncertainty there is in the outcome.

Both teams are just so different in their identities. The Pacers are traditional with their anchor defensive center with focuses on rebounding, dumping the ball to the big man and letting the star wing player create his own shot. They talk loudly and strongly about their goals and sometimes come off as brash in their expectations.

The Heat are so modern with their multi-position, centerless attack that values creating turnovers more than rebounds and efficient shots more than even wide-open inefficient ones. They seem to ignore all their opponents, even when they're successful. They stick to the boring script when it comes to their true motivations, wanting their actions to settle things.

The Heat's style has beaten the Pacers twice in contested playoff series and it seemed destined for a third. Yet neither, as we see often in rivalries, has yet budged on its philosophy to better deal with its top competition. They've both just tried to get better at playing and winning at their games.

That tug-of-war is what will probably eventually decide who wins their battle this season. Or as Heat coach Erik Spoelstra put it simply: "Who can get to whom."

Tuesday the Heat were so interested in setting a tone and perhaps answering the Pacers targeting them so publicly recently that they exploded with energy in the early going. They were nearly as aggressive defensively on Paul George as they were two years ago when Linsanity rolled into Miami and they went so ferociously at Jeremy Lin that it might've done psychological damage in the first quarter of that blowout. Lin, frankly, has never looked the same.

On the game's first possession, George came off a screen and saw LeBron James guarding him chest-to-chest, hardly the type of ease-into-the-game style that is commonplace even in big regular-season games. George was stunned and he was also scoreless in the first quarter.

At first it looked like James was trying to send the younger George, who edged him out for Player of the Month in November and looks like his first serious Most Valuable Player challenger in the East in the past few years, a message. But it did not last.

"I knew it was the kind of night it was going to be then," George said. "At that point I knew I just had to run him. I couldn't allow him to load up on me."

George did run him and James didn't give in, but he did get tired. Spoelstra had to call timeout to get James off the floor with a minute left in the first quarter he was so gassed. In the second half, when the Heat were relying on James to carry them offensively, they couldn't afford to have him on George. So Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen were getting the assignment and George reeled off 15 points as the Pacers took over the game.

"It's rare to see LeBron tired," George said. "It was a challenge to me to rise to that level. I had to be a mature player."

James, who seemed to have zapped himself with that first-half burst, was a rare non-factor in that second half as he was largely outplayed and out-defended by George.
    James had just seven points in the second half plus several crucial turnovers.

Consider that one of the points of emphasis when the teams play the Pacers again next week. You can count on James not wasting his reserves by trying to smother George in the first quarter. There will be lessons the Heat take and apply, the next phase of what promises to be an enjoyable back-and-forth all season.

Roy Hibbert got the Heat out of their preferred game as they mostly ditched their spread offense and eventually moved Bosh to power forward and put Chris Andersen at center to try to handle the Pacers center. His 24 points and defensive aggression ended up defining this matchup.

Bending to deal with Hibbert caused the Heat to be slower and play fewer shooters, which explains why they scored just 37 points in the second half, shot just 4-of-21 from 3-point range and weren't able to punish the Pacers for turning the ball over 21 times. Normally you turn the ball over 21 times against Miami and it's a Wade-James dunk show and a loss.

Instead the Heat were complaining about officials letting Hibbert get away with his defensive collisions in the lane. Hibbert may not have won Defensive Player of the Year last season, but he's started regularly getting star calls at that end from officials. He has established himself as a rock and when he goes up the whistles often get swallowed. He didn't even get a foul until midway through the fourth quarter.

If James getting whistled for an offensive foul and then a technical for complaining after a midair meeting with Hibbert in a vital moment in the conference finals last season wasn't a message of how it is going to be, this night was a refresher.

The idea is the Heat's shooters will punish Hibbert for staying home, but Shane Battier has struggled so much as a shooter recently that he's been losing minutes. The Heat have stopped playing Udonis Haslem, who had several big games against Hibbert in the playoffs last season. And Allen seems to hate Bankers Life Fieldhouse. He didn't even score in two regular-season games there last season and Tuesday he was 1-of-5 shooting.

"When they go big-big instead of small-big with Bosh and the Duke guy -- what's his name? oh, Shane Battier -- it allowed me to roam free a little bit," Hibbert said. "We always stay big and we make teams adjust to us." When they're not even remembering your name, it sort of sums it up.

This script will be flipped and flipped again before this is over. The Heat will surely have their moments when their strategies make the Pacers look foolish. There will be countermeasures aplenty, the Heat having Greg Oden somewhere in their future to deal with Hibbert in some fashion and the Pacers waiting to roll out Danny Granger.

The only thing that seems assured is that nothing is assured. The Heat's ultimate success against the Pacers the last two seasons has only emboldened them and made them a huge threat to a fourth consecutive Finals.

"The respect runs deep between these teams," Spoelstra said. "There are going to be some ups and downs."
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-11-2013 at 09:00 AM.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: