Thread: OKC Oklahoman Article: By George

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OKC Oklahoman Article: By George

This article was on the Sports front page of the OKC paper today, under an above-the-fold big shot of PG dunking, titled "By George".

The online article has a different headline...

http://m.newsok.com/paul-george-vs.-...rticle/3912457

Oklahoma City Thunder: Paul George vs. Kevin Durant becoming a marquee matchup
    By Darnell Mayberry

Paul George didn't become a starter until the final two months of his rookie season.

Three years later, the Indiana Pacers forward is a superstar.

“He's a special player,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. “The term superstar gets thrown around NBA circles quite frequently, but he's a superstar. He's a superstar in this league. There's only a handful of them and he's one of them.”

George's transformation has turned Sunday's showdown with Thunder forward Kevin Durant into a marquee matchup.

The two are the reigning players of the month for November in their respective conferences, top five scorers and early candidates in the MVP race. After winning the NBA's Most Improved Player award last season, George has established himself, in just his fourth season, as one of the game's best players.

At the conclusion of the Thunder's practice Saturday afternoon, there was some chatter about George now being the league's third-best player, presumably behind LeBron James and Durant.

“He can do it all,” Durant said. “I think he's up there with one of the top players in the league because he's elevated his game to new heights.”

In a road game at Portland this past Monday, George posted a career-high 43 points. He made seven 3-pointers, five of which came in the final three minutes and had the league buzzing more about George's continued emergence than the Blazers' four-point win. The day before that, George torched the Clippers, in Los Angeles, for 27 points, six rebounds and five assists.

“I watched him from afar and he's having a phenomenal season this year, just leading those guys,” Durant said. “You can tell he's playing super confident basketball right now.”

If George doesn't quite live up to the hype in his lone appearance in Oklahoma City, it might have something to do with playing on the second night of a back-to-back following Saturday's game at San Antonio and the Pacers closing out a five-game trip.

And oh yeah, Durant.

Durant has owned George in their individual matchup, winning three of their four head-to-head meetings while averaging 31.5 points to George's 10.3. Durant has made 53 percent of his field goals in those games compared to George's 31.1 percent clip. George did not play in one of the two Thunder-Pacers games in 2010-11, and the teams met just once in 2011-12 due to the lockout.

“One thing I do love about the KD-Paul George matchup is that each time they guard each other,” said Thunder center Kendrick Perkins. “When we play Miami, LeBron (James) and KD don't guard each other most of the time. You got Shane Battier guarding KD or something like that.”

That's largely a credit to George, who has forced his way into any conversation about the game's best players behind his defensive effort. He finished eighth in Defensive Player of the Year voting last year, garnering eight first-place votes, and enhanced his reputation by valiantly standing toe to toe with James in the Eastern Conference Finals a year ago.

This year, George has helped to again make the Pacers a defensive juggernaut. Before Saturday's games, the Pacers led the league in defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) at 90.2. They were allowing a league-best 87.5 points per game.

“What he does, he brings his competitive spirit every night on both ends of the floor,” Brooks said of George. “That's what makes him a great player. You have a lot of respect for guys who bring it and are two-way players, and he's definitely a superstar in this league.”

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OKC Oklahoman Article: By George

Picked up "The Oklahoman" newspaper "to see if they mentioned last nights game," says I. "They never say anything about the Pacers, " says he. I flip to the Sports section, and there is a HUGE picture of Paul George and a glowing article, rating him neck-and-neck with Durant! I'm just not used to this national respect...but I'd love to get use to it.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
    I remember last year...so I have hope.

4. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to LadyAT For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"One thing I do love about the KD-Paul George matchup is that each time they guard each other,” said Thunder center Kendrick Perkins. “When we play Miami, LeBron (James) and KD don't guard each other most of the time. You got Shane Battier guarding KD or something like that.”

Hmm...Durant didn't really guard Paul at all, was mostly Thabo. Lance was guarding Durant at the beginning which is just a recipe for disaster. By the time Paul got to guarding Durant he was already on a roll.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "One thing I do love about the KD-Paul George matchup is that each time they guard each other,” said Thunder center Kendrick Perkins. “When we play Miami, LeBron (James) and KD don't guard each other most of the time. You got Shane Battier guarding KD or something like that.”

Hmm...Durant didn't really guard Paul at all, was mostly Thabo. Lance was guarding Durant at the beginning which is just a recipe for disaster. By the time Paul got to guarding Durant he was already on a roll.
    yeh, lance is too short to guard kd.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    yeh, lance is too short to guard kd.
    It would nice to have a healthy Granger to help defend Durant.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah Perk's quote is hilarious. Durant barely guarded Paul. Which is why what Paul does on a nightly basis is so damn impressive. Only he and Lebron can really claim to do it like that on both ends every night.

However, I am really impressed with Durant's game this year. He is creating better and rebounding better it seems to me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

OK, can we then please stop with the talk of the media not giving PG respect or anyone else not giving him respect. It is obvious he gets respect from all involved. I get so sick and tired of "we don't get any respect" refrain. it gets really old to me. Plus it certainly is not true right now at all

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, can we then please stop with the talk of the media not giving PG respect or anyone else not giving him respect. It is obvious he gets respect from all involved. I get so sick and tired of "we don't get any respect" refrain. it gets really old to me. Plus it certainly is not true right now at all
    Yerp.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    It would nice to have a healthy Granger to help defend Durant.
    I suppose it's better than Lance guarding him. But I don't think anybody can defend Durant. I'm not even sure anyone can slow that man down.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I suppose it's better than Lance guarding him. But I don't think anybody can defend Durant. I'm not even sure anyone can slow that man down.
    He's just ridiculously gifted. I already knew he had arms that were even longer than Paul's, but I was a little surprised at how he looked noticeably TALLER than Paul as well. If Paul grew to 6'9 or 6'10 since he was a rookie, then Durant has to be at least 6'11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He's just ridiculously gifted. I already knew he had arms that were even longer than Paul's, but I was a little surprised at how he looked noticeably TALLER than Paul as well. If Paul grew to 6'9 or 6'10 since he was a rookie, then Durant has to be at least 6'11.
    Paul is about an inch taller than LeBron. I think Durant is a 7 footer. They used to list Garnett at 6'11" too.

Ha. Yahoo has Durant listed at 6'9". I really don't think he's the same height as Paul.