Thread: Rob Gronkowski out for season with torn MCL/ACL

Default Rob Gronkowski out for season with torn MCL/ACL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wski/#comments

MRI confirms torn ACL, MCL for Gronkowski

Posted by Mike Florio on December 9, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
    Cleveland Browns v New England Patriots
    Getty Images
    As expected, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski suffered a torn ACL when hit low by Browns safety T.J. Ward on Sunday.

Per a league source, an MRI confirmed the damage. Gronkowski will miss the rest of the season. Surgery and rehab will affect his preparation for 2014.

The MRI also shows damage to the MCL. Surgical repair might not be needed of the MCL.

If so, that provides a bit of a silver lining. In 2008, Tom Brady tore an ACL and an MCL, and surgical tinkering with the MCL reportedly resulted in an infection.

For Gronkowski, who battled an infection following forearm surgery earlier this year, the prospect of future complications looms over the ACL repair.

“After the third [forearm] surgery, Robbie said, ‘I’m never doing this again,’” his mother said in October, amid questions that his return from forearm and back surgery was taking too long. “And weeks later, he’s back in for the fourth one. So he doesn’t want to go back where he was and start all over again. It wasn’t fun. It was so discouraging.”

The current situation will be discouraging for Gronkowski, the Patriots, and their fans. From his return in Week Seven through Week 13, the Patriots had the highest-scoring offense in the NFL.

Without Gronkowski, the task of getting back to the Super Bowl becomes a lot more challenging.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rob Gronkowski out for season with torn MCL/ACL

Sucks. I think he is the best positional offensive player in the NFL.

some stats:

Patriots NFL Ranks This Season With & Without Rob Gronkowski
    Stat-With/Without
    PPG- 2nd/22nd
    Red zone eff-4th/30th
    Pass YPG-3rd/19th
    # 1st downs-2nd/16th

other stats-with/without
    Red zone effic-68.8/40.9
    Brady tQBR- 83.7/75.2
    TDs/game-3.6/1.5

these are arguably skewed a little since some of the games w/o Gronk were also without Vereen and Amendola. Then again, games with Gronk were statistically speaking against a tougher schedule.

Those numbers are pretty amazing for the impact of one guy. With him a top 5 team, without him a below average team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...-without-gronk
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

If Denver doesn't make it the the 'Bowl now......

But yeah, that sucks. Injuries are just a *****.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You have to have concerns about the player's future in the league at the back of your mind. He is a beast of a player that nobody likes to face him but damn, so injury-plagued.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Denver doesn't make it the the 'Bowl now......

But yeah, that sucks. Injuries are just a *****.

There are no guarantees come playoff time I mean you don't even need to be the best team to win it all as recent history has shown

With all the discussion about there being nowhere but the knees to tackle a guy, I have to wonder what makes the shoulders, chest, ribs, stomach, waist, hips, thighs, and ankles all seemingly all out of the question.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    With all the discussion about there being nowhere but the knees to tackle a guy, I have to wonder what makes the shoulders, chest, ribs, stomach, waist, hips, thighs, and ankles all seemingly all out of the question.
    Those areas are far less effective at bring down a monster like Gronk than the lower leg area. As long as a hit like Ward laid is legal, defenders will continue to utilize it.

Sure, you can zero in on a guy's torso. But what happens if a player starts to go on the ground on his own like Marvin harrison used to do? Then all the sudden an intended hit to the torso becomes a penalized shot to the head.

It sucks that Gronk was injured, but Ward's job is to bring offensive players down without getting penalized. He brought Gronk down in a legal and effective manner. Some might think that it was a cheap shot, but it was a 100% legal hit by the rules.

My guess is that the NFL will look at this in the off-season since a high profile player got taken out. Soon only wrap around tackles will be legal and 48-41 games will be the norm.

The answer is football is dangerous and always has been. You will never eliminate it unless you stop playing the sport.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Gronk has special pads made of high technology rubber. When you touch him in those areas, you're hand bounces off and hits yourself in the face.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Gronk has special pads made of high technology rubber. When you touch him in those areas, you're hand bounces off and hits yourself in the face.

No, but I've seen Gronk drag plenty of defenders into the endzone because he is so strong.

From the standpoint of his duty to the team, Ward made a fantastic football play. He brought down one of the best players in the game without getting a penalty. He did his job.

My guess is that this will cause the NFL to continue to institute rules that are laughably biased towards one side of the ball. Defenders are basically becoming villains.

A compromise might be to say you can tackle at the knees if you are ahead (downfield) of the defender. The serious knee injuries seem to come from the sideways shot and sometimes from behind. Sure the guy could turn, but then that's on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    No, but I've seen Gronk drag plenty of defenders into the endzone because he is so strong.
    I've also seen Gronk get tackled with non-dirty hits plenty of times too.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

No shoulders, chest, ribs, stomach, waist, hips, thighs, and ankles: