Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Thread: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

  1. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    I would like to know who are they open cap space for, not decent free agent is going to go there their only hope is to spend that money in former all stars or something.

  2. #27
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,352

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like to know who are they open cap space for, not decent free agent is going to go there their only hope is to spend that money in former all stars or something.
    They're not dumping salary to lure FAs. They're dumping guys because they suck and are incredibly overpaid and Brian Colangelo was an idiot. You've to tear down before you can begin to rebuild. And Toronto's not going to have a problem getting FAs soon, there's a TON of young Canadian basketball talent on the way.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're not dumping salary to lure FAs. They're dumping guys because they suck and are incredibly overpaid and Brian Colangelo was an idiot. You've to tear down before you can begin to rebuild. And Toronto's not going to have a problem getting FAs soon, there's a TON of young Canadian basketball talent on the way.
    Who are this Canadian guys you are talking about? so their plan is to tank for one of this guys?(draft?)

  5. #29
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who are this Canadian guys you are talking about? so their plan is to tank for one of this guys?(draft?)
    I'm not sure who Heisenberg is referring to.....but try to focus on the main point that I think he is trying to convey. In order for the new GM to rebuild the Team into a vision of what he wants his Team to be....he has to clear away all of the garbage that his predecessor had left over.

    Getting rid of all of the overpaid talent is a start. Having Cap Flexibility is always a very good asset to have....it allows a very saavy GM to make a lot of moves and to improve the Team in the long term by acquiring assets. Look at what the Suns GM did and the sheer # of assets they acquired by clearing away Players that have value but no longer fit the teams needs.

    The Raptors traded $37+ mil in Salary and got back one of your favorite Players and Patrick Patterson while saving some 2014-2015 CapSpace. My guess is that Ujiri is now going to start fielding calls for both Vasquez and Patterson to see if they can unload Hayes and Salmon's contracts.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-09-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  6. #30

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Concerning Raptors, I heard that players in Canada have to pay literally around 50% tax of their contract.
    That make me believe Raptors will never attract major FAs, hence their chance of being contender is very small.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sherlock For This Useful Post:

    owl

  8. #31

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure who Heisenberg is referring to.....but try to focus on the main point that I think he is trying to convey. In order for the new GM to rebuild the Team into a vision of what he wants his Team to be....he has to clear away all of the garbage that his predecessor had left over.

    Getting rid of all of the overpaid talent is a start. Having Cap Flexibility is always a very good asset to have....it allows a very saavy GM to make a lot of moves and to improve the Team in the long term by acquiring assets. Look at what the Suns GM did and the sheer # of assets they acquired by clearing away Players that have value but no longer fit the teams needs.

    The Raptors traded $37+ mil in Salary and got back one of your favorite Players and Patrick Patterson while saving some 2014-2015 CapSpace. My guess is that Ujiri is now going to start fielding calls for both Vasquez and Patterson to see if they can unload Hayes and Salmon's contracts.
    Thompson (cavs) and Andrew Wiggins come to mind

  9. #32
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,856

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Clearly a big part of this is the Andrew Wiggins lottery they want him BAD. In their defense how often does a hometown hero look like he is going to be a major superstar? I have to believe getting him would sell a TON of tickets.

    Note to Toronto, you will sell way more Wiggins Jerseys if you switch from Raptors to Dragons just saying.

  10. #33

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Masai Ujiri, swung the deal with Sacramento general manager Pete D’Allesandro, who was Ujiri’s assistant in Denver
    Now we know why...those connections, guess he owed him a favor.

  11. #34
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,014

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler and DJ have been out of the rotation.
    Huh?

    He played barely 2mins against PHO, because he injured his shoulder and left the game, but prior to that game he played 29mins against GSW, 34mins against Den, and 25mins against Miami. He's played in 18 out of their 19 games, with one game under 15mins (against Houston back on 11-11), missing only their last game.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  12. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,857
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over the last 2 to 3 weeks....Casey has been brilliantly ( and I use that term very sarcastically ) starting Hansbrough ahead of Amir and giving him as many ( if not more ) minutes than Jonas V.....their only true Center. Makes no sense to me.
    I did see Tyler starting a few games. I figured Casey as was tanking or something. He finally came to his senses. I just don't get some of the things he does. He also has a wired wing rotation at times. With that said coaching a bad team has to be hard. I guess he wants to reward guys who work hard?


    Playing Tyler over Amir should be a fire able offense IMO.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-09-2013 at 10:03 AM.

  13. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,857
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    I agree with Pelton the timing of this trade leads me to believe the Raps are going to try to repackage Grevis and P Patt at the deadline. My grade for the Raps is TBA. I need to see what they do at the trade deadline first.

  14. #37
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Clearly a big part of this is the Andrew Wiggins lottery they want him BAD. In their defense how often does a hometown hero look like he is going to be a major superstar? I have to believe getting him would sell a TON of tickets.

    Note to Toronto, you will sell way more Wiggins Jerseys if you switch from Raptors to Dragons just saying.
    The funny thing is that despite the ineptitude of Dwayne Casey.....he's was starting Hansbrough over the likes Amir Johnson and playing him more minutes than JonasV over a stretch of games a week back....the Raptors are still winning some games that they shouldn't be winning ( see the Lakers game yesterday ) and are in the same division as the hapless Knicks and Nets. They can't tank...even if they wanted to.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. #38
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now we know why...those connections, guess he owed him a favor.
    It's a win-win for both Teams. The Kings want to make the Playoffs this year. They have the capspace and need for a Player like Rudy as a Vet and a way better Starting SF than Salmons and the Raptors are looking to dump all their bad luggage.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #39
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Pelton the timing of this trade leads me to believe the Raps are going to try to repackage Grevis and P Patt at the deadline. My grade for the Raps is TBA. I need to see what they do at the trade deadline first.
    I totally agree.

    It's WAY EASIER to trade some combination of ( Vasquez or Patterson ) + ( Salmons, Landry Fields or Hayes ) in smaller deals than it is to trade Rudy Gay's 18+ mil contract. This is one of the reasons why Granger won't likely be traded....it's HARD to match that much Salary.

    I'm guessing that the Raptors can now get an Expiring Contract+1st round pick for any of the above Players.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  17. #40
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did see Tyler starting a few games. I figured Casey as was tanking or something. He finally came to his senses. I just don't get some of the things he does. He also has a wired wing rotation at times. With that said coaching a bad team has to be hard. I guess he wants to reward guys who work hard?

    Playing Tyler over Amir should be a fire able offense IMO.
    I'm guessing that Ujiri has a similar 3-year plan like Bird did. Spend his 1st year clearing house by getting rid of all the Players that he doesn't fit his vision of the Team, fire Casey during the offseason and then in the 2014-2015 season....get a new Coach that fits his style/vision and go after Players that he wants. He rebuilds the entire Team with a new Coaching Staff in 1 season.

    Hire on Steve Nash as an assistant Coach or add him to the Front Office after he retires and BAM! Instant Ticket Sales for the Raptors!
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #41
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thompson (cavs) and Andrew Wiggins come to mind
    Add in Bennett.

    The Cavs Frontcourt is chalk full of Canadians.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  19. #42
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,132

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a win-win for both Teams. The Kings want to make the Playoffs this year. They have the capspace and need for a Player like Rudy as a Vet and a way better Starting SF than Salmons and the Raptors are looking to dump all their bad luggage.
    There is not a snowball's chance in hell the Kings are making the playoffs in the Western Conference this season.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  21. #43
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,120
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is not a snowball's chance in hell the Kings are making the playoffs in the Western Conference this season.
    Yeah, they're already 5.5 games back of 8th, played 6 of 18 (will be 19, they have another home game tonight) on the road.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  22. #44
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    You guys think DJ gets picked up by an NBA squad?

    Waived by the Raptors, I'd say he's bound for Europe.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  23. #45
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is not a snowball's chance in hell the Kings are making the playoffs in the Western Conference this season.
    That doesn't mean that they're not going to try. At some point, your Team has to grow up and actually try instead of just trying to tank for another top Lottery pick.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-09-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  24. #46
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Wow, the Kings are fools to make this trade... Rudy Gay has negative value as a basketball player at virtually any price above the MLE. I wouldn't pay even that much for him in free agency. Zero chance he opts out of $19M next season.

    Just a baffling move in every way for the Kings. Astounding.

  25. #47
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,576

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, the Kings are fools to make this trade... Rudy Gay has negative value as a basketball player at virtually any price above the MLE. I wouldn't pay even that much for him in free agency. Zero chance he opts out of $19M next season.

    Just a baffling move in every way for the Kings. Astounding.
    I disagree that he's worth nothing more than the FULL MLE. A Full MLE type Player is some 6th Man / Borderline Starter....Rudy is a Starting Level SF.

    How good he is compared to others? IMHO....I'd consider him to be a Quality Starting SF that can score, is young and athletic. Starting Players should be able to net a contract starting at $7 to 8 mil.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  26. #48

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler and DJ have been out of the rotation. Casey changes his rotations quite a bit, but this pretty much assures the last of Tyler in TOR.


    The Kings were moving away from ball killers letting Reke go. Now they are brining them back trading for Williams and now Gay. I don't really like this trade for either team. Patterson and Grevis are set to be RFA will be intersting to see how that is handled. Grevis is a guy I am afraid to pay if I am a GM. I just don't know how much he influences the game positively.


    I hope P Patt regains his form he has been awful lately. His jumper as left him.
    As to Tyler, this is 100% incorrect.

    Can do without telling people what they have/have not watched

    Tyler has been the backup for the vast majority of the year and was recently moved to the starter spot. At no point was he out of the rotation. He hasn't played the last 2 games because of an injury. While you may question Casey's move in starting Tyler, it paid off because Amir immediately started playing much better. I believe he was trying to motivate Amir as he had been playing terribly lately. Tyler had in fact been outplaying him. Not dissimilar to last year when Ben got the minutes over DJ--I always thought that was an attempt to motivate DJ.

  27. #49

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Concerning Raptors, I heard that players in Canada have to pay literally around 50% tax of their contract.
    That make me believe Raptors will never attract major FAs, hence their chance of being contender is very small.
    Most Toronto players remain U.S. citizens, thus avoiding the tax. For example, this year NONE of Toronto's players are Canadian citizens. So while obviously the Raptors might have trouble attracting majors FAs, that is not a reason. Ironically, if the Raptors ever made the Finals, the players would lose their status as American citizens and have to pay the tax (they can't be in the country past June 1st). That would be lost income in the millions for some players! Hopefully, Toronto would pay their taxes, but of course they would be "taxed" on that income as well.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWild For This Useful Post:


  29. #50
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,232

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Toronto Trades Rudy Gay to Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Waived by the Raptors, I'd say he's bound for Europe.
    Can see it but not for a top Euroleague contending team. They value defense.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •