Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The bench still isn't good enough

Sports Logo

Default Re: The bench still isn't good enough

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, he's only played garbage minutes but garbage minutes are not why he was acquired.
    He was acquired to be the back-up PF but then the opportunity to get Scola appeared. That meant that he was demoted to 3rd string PF who normally only gets garbage minutes. Vogel even tried to get him minutes by playing him out of position at SF but that wasn't good defensively.

Also, Copeland is relevant because his contract impacts us re-signing key players and if he indeed begins shooting the 3 with some accuracy he will be a weapon...as well as a tradeable asset.
    If his contract plays any role in our ability to sign Lance then he will be traded. It's as simple as that. His contract is easily tradeable and Bird will re-sign Lance.

Also, as long as we are getting spanked by the likes of Portland and OKC, I think all the players are important and ripe for discussion.
    It was Hill and Lance that failed us in those two games, though. It wasn't the bench.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

By the way, I find it extremely funny that some of the people who are complaining about Copeland this season are the same ones that complained about Miles last year. Remind me, how is Miles doing this season? Exactly..
    Last edited by Nuntius; 12-16-2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: I wanted to write "Copeland" but I wrote "Scola". Sorry for the mix-up

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

owl

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    By the way, I find it extremely funny that some of the people who are complaining about Scola this season are the same ones that complained about Miles last year. Remind me, how is Miles doing this season? Exactly..
    Wait....whose complaining about Scola?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Wait....whose complaining about Scola?
    Damn, sometimes I'm stupid. I wanted to write Copeland but I wrote Scola instead. Sorry for the mix-up

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Banned

So "Copeland is a Granger clone"? damn that has to be the worse DG insult ever, it's just a bad as "Gerald Green can replace DG just fine".

As a "hater" I should agree but I don't think that low of him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Real message of this thread? People like to *****. Some of you guys could have a hall pass in the Caribbean with Kate Upton, and ***** that it's too hot outside or that you don't like blondes.
    "The Pacers don't have a perfect roster and still are 20-3? Let's complain."
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Real message of this thread? People like to *****. Some of you guys could have a hall pass in the Caribbean with Kate Upton, and ***** that it's too hot outside or that you don't like blondes.
    Agreed in principle, although I have no interest in the Caribbean, so yes I would complain about it being too hot. Change that to the Rockies, now that would be a great time.

So I guess we shouldn't care if Granger comes back since there is nothing on the team that needs improved?

No one is complaining about a 20-3 record. We have a rare opportunity this season and need to dot all of our i's and cross all of our t's. Voicing a minor complaint does not mean that one doesn't appreciate what they have watched this season.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Voicing a minor complaint does not mean that one doesn't appreciate what they have watched this season.
    Minor complaint would be singular. Should I start the list of things people have been *****ing about this season? And yes, when everyday (literally) I get on PD and these complaint threads keep going and going, and the topic is something so freaking small like whether or not Copeland's 3M is something worth crying over, I'd consider it not being appreciative. Every day the same stupid, beat to death, miniscule topics are being picked at by the same posters. At some point in time, the message starts getting crystal clear, and the message is some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Let's make a 20 page thread on whether or not Donald Sloan is good enough to be a backup 3rd PG. I mean, why stop on whether or not the Pacers 9th, 10th and 11th (OJ,SHill, Cope) players are good enough, let's extend the discussion down even further. I bet we can get at least 10 pages of people wanting Earl Watson, or some other bum that would collect dust too.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Well you are complaining about people complaining so....
    Yeah, because my point is that I don't like complaining, rather than complaining about stupid, beat to death complaints. Thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: I do feel better, and I'll just go back to silently laughing at the stupidity of all of this. You can return to your normal *****fest now, not like my opinion will change anything.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-16-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Copeland is a Granger clone in many ways. Better defending wings in the post, 3pt threat. Danny drives much better than Cope and overall plays better defense, or in simpler terms he is just a better player. But there is a bit of Granger is to Cope as Roy is to Ian.

If Cope could attack with his dribble or defend out on the perimeter he'd be able to steal those "Granger replacement" minutes from OJ/Solo/Butler, but that's just not his game.

Still I'd like Frank to find him a role that's more clear. Surely there are some nights and matchups when he could crush people, and it's not like Scola never has problems on PF defense. Even on offense we've seen a lot of PnPop from deep lately, it's not like the team has been able to work through Scola in the low block a ton.

If anything I think some of the current bench issues (which are drastically lower than last year) have more to do with learning to play together than not being good enough.

And of course Granger could be the team's Sheed. A mid-season return (which seems very reasonable) at solid levels would really make bench concerns seem silly.
    The best way I think to get Cope minutes is to play Scola at backup 5, but the problem with that is it messed up our defensive philosophy/rim protection that Roy and Ian provide with their height and length.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Minor complaint would be singular. Should I start the list of things people have been *****ing about this season? And yes, when everyday (literally) I get on PD and these complaint threads keep going and going, and the topic is something so freaking small like whether or not Copeland's 3M is something worth crying over, I'd consider it not being appreciative. Every day the same stupid, beat to death, miniscule topics are being picked at by the same posters. At some point in time, the message starts getting crystal clear, and the message is some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.
    Bird said we have the best record, not necessarily the best team. We don't have the best team because our bench still has flaws. Mahimi is not getting it done backing up Roy. All we need from that position is defense and rebounding. Ian has not been good at this. We are also poor at backup wing. OJ and Solo have been bad, and Butler isn't the answer. Granger will not play every game when/if he comes back. To be the best team, we need a better back up center and SG/SF
    David "And One" West

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Bird said we have the best record, not necessarily the best team. We don't have the best team because our bench still has flaws.
    EVERY team has flaws, that's the point... We like to take the Pacers flaws and take the molehills and turn them into Mt Everest. If the only way not to *****, is to have something perfect, then well, you're making my point about people not being happy unless they're complaining.

It would be like Heat fans complaining about them signing Oden. I can just hear you guys now, if that was the case. "Damnit, I really wanted a 3peat. Why did they have to waste a roster spot on a player like Greg. I will be so pissed off if they don't get that third ring because they signed Oden intead of this other bum. My life is horrible!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Also, about flaws, that's my point in the Kate Upton analogy. You'd be more focused on the flaws that it's too hot, than focusing on the fact that you're in a great place with a beautiful woman. "We'll it is just too hot......." Of course there are going to be flaws, nothing is ever perfect. EVER.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-16-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Let's make a 20 page thread on whether or not Donald Sloan is good enough to be a backup 3rd PG. I mean, why stop on whether or not the Pacers 9th, 10th and 11th (OJ,SHill, Cope) players are good enough, let's extend the discussion down even further. I bet we can get at least 10 pages of people wanting Earl Watson, or some other bum that would collect dust too.
    I don't see why you're arguing about those guys when Mahimi is routinely getting 14-16 Minutes per game. How many do your examples get per game? Combined probably less then Ian(though I've seen many complain about OJ, too).

If people want to argue about his ineffectiveness so far, that's their priority and he's supposed to be a big contributor, so I don't see the problem. I remember a few times in the MIA series where Hibbert got in foul trouble early in the game and we just collapsed without him. 14-16 Minutes is a lot a over the course of a game and when Hibbert's a rim protector, that often times means he will get into foul trouble, so it's even more important to have a quality backup big.

He has stunk up the joint over a two week period, we need him to get it together. I don't think Bird's okay with the production(or lack thereof) from Ian so far, I do think that's whom he was referencing in his last interview when he stated he'd like to make one more trade if it presented itself to him. This is our year, but we can't go into the playoffs with excessive turnovers, penalties, and missing bunnies from Ian.
    Dear P_George,
    You have received an infraction at Pacers Digest.

Reason: Unacceptable Comment and/or Content

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm going to post this here from the Larry Bird interview because I think his thoughts fit what some of us are talking about.

It's only a quarter of the way through the season, but do you feel you have the best team in the league? Or is there another team out there that might be better?

I don't know about the best team. We have the best record, but that will wash out at the end of the year. If I have an opportunity to make one more move, I'm going to make it.

I was going to ask if your roster is set.

It's never set. If you can do something that makes them better, you do it. Yesterday we went over every team and picked out some targets. We don't know what teams are going to do with a lot of their players. I'm not into making big trades, especially with our core group, but if we can pick up a player who can help us, we will do that.
    So Larry Bird is doing the same thing some of us are doing on an internet forum, somebody should tell him just to be happy and buy the damn championship rings already.

If you're just doing the same thing that Larry is doing, then where is the other 1500 interviews he's given within this 23 game stretch where he's pointing out the flaws.

Oh, you only have one example compared to the 60+ pages that we have within the first page of PD. I see...... It's not the fact that you're pointing out the flaws, they're obvious to even the most blinded sunshiners. The difference is that you take the small complaints, and then turn it into a 40 PAGE THREAD.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    I don't see why you're arguing about those guys when Mahimi is routinely getting 14-16 Minutes per game.
    We should turn yet another thread into discussing Ian. The other 10 didn't beat the horse enough.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So Larry Bird is doing the same thing some of us are doing on an internet forum, somebody should tell him just to be happy and buy the damn championship rings already.
    There is a difference between looking for something that will improve and being open to what it is - which is what I expect Bird is doing - and picking certain players who Absolutely Must Be Replaced.

The former is being ready to take advantage of opportunity. The latter is magnifying a flaw to inappropriate proportions.

Perhaps a better way to say it is to ask what people's opinions would be after the trade deadline if Larry makes no moves. If you'd be pissed because you think we can't move forward with this team, you're probably too fixated on perfection. If you figure there's nothing better out there to be had for what we can give without jeopardizing next year, you're probably not.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

We should turn yet another thread into discussing Ian. The other 10 didn't beat the horse enough.
    This was the main thread that started the Ian debate. It's also a discussion on, you know, the bench. There's a pretty little arrow on your browser that points <--- it's called the back button. If you don't like the discussion, you can easily click that.
    Dear P_George,
    You have received an infraction at Pacers Digest.

Reason: Unacceptable Comment and/or Content

31. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    This was the main thread that started the Ian debate. It's also a discussion on, you know, the bench. There's a pretty little arrow on your browser that points <--- it's called the back button. If you don't like the discussion, you can easily click that.
    He can also put the thread on ignore and never see it again but that is to complicated.

Banned

Hey I didn't know the Lakers wanted Cope http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-r...er/2013/07/02/

the Pelicans too? http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2013/6/...opeland-Knicks

Milwaukee? http://www.freshhoops.com/2013/06/27...y-than-knicks/

Even Cleveland wanted the guy?

I guess there is some hope
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-16-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Points have been made. Time to get back on topic or let it go. Please and thank you.

He can also put the thread on ignore and never see it again but that is to complicated.

Just as a side note: That is not currently available to do anymore; it was a feature on the older forum software that didn't get updated to work on the version we've been using the last few years or so.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: