Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The bench still isn't good enough

Banned

Default Re: The bench still isn't good enough

And just because I want to make Cdash happy here is my list:

(note that some of this players are starting because of injury or sometimes they start because of matchups)

Splitter, Reggie Evans, Mozgov, JO(yes that guy), Faverani, Adams,Blatche, Birdman, Jason Smith, Varejao, Kaman, Koufos, Ed Davis, Asik, Tyler Zeller, Brand, Cody Zeller, and Nick Collison just to name a few.

Yes I know that some of this players make more than Ian but the list is about who are the better backups than Ian, note that I'm evaluating what they bring as a whole and yes I know some are not 7 feet tall but as we know just because a player is 7 feet tall that doesn't mean that player is really a center(see Bargnani).

#winningteamproblems
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

(note that some of this players are starting because of injury or sometimes they start because of matchups)

Splitter, Reggie Evans, Mozgov, JO(yes that guy), Faverani, Adams,Blatche, Birdman, Jason Smith, Varejao, Kaman, Koufos, Ed Davis, Asik, Tyler Zeller, Brand, Cody Zeller, and Nick Collison just to name a few.

Yes I know that some of this players make more than Ian but the list is about who are the better backups than Ian, note that I'm evaluating what they bring as a whole and yes I know some are not 7 feet tall but as we know just because a player is 7 feet tall that doesn't mean that player is really a center(see Bargnani).
    However I have to wonder, if we had one of the players on that list would you still say, all of these players are better backups than the one we have.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to colts19 For This Useful Post:

Stats show an small percentage of things that happen on the basketball court and as Mckeyfan said before a lot of those stats are not perfect because they are made by humans(note that I don't want to make this a whole debate about stats I'm just letting you know why stats should not be the(ONLY) tool).

It is a tool none the less and should be part of the evaluation process to include the eye test. Note the "ONLY" I added to your quote. Ian is ok but I would sure like to have another big available. OKC has an advantage there in my opinion. The have out-rebounded the Pacers fairly regularly.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Yeah, Mahimi sucks.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

Banned

Ian sucked balls today and

Don't need to be baiting with this part

Yep we need a better backup center.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you replace Mahinmi, you're going to need a shotblocker. No one's replacing Hibbert in that area, but the best players that come to mind are Dalembert and JO for around his price range.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    If you replace Mahinmi, you're going to need a shotblocker. No one's replacing Hibbert in that area, but the best players that come to mind are Dalembert and JO for around his price range.
    I know. We were so close to getting Robin Lopez in off season. Just didn't have pieces NO wanted. They didn't wanna take back salary. Portland gave them picks, we had no picks to give.

I like OJ, but so far this season he's not shown up. Maybe it's the soph jinx.

Mahimni has been non-existant the last # of games. He was as useless as teets on a boar tonight. Fouls, can't hit FT, and his "D" was nowhere to be seen. He needs to get his game straightened out and QUICKLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I like OJ, but so far this season he's not shown up. Maybe it's the soph jinx.
    Even 75% of Danny Granger taking OJ's minutes would be huge.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to mention that in the second quarter the bench + Lance had outscored Miami's bench + Wade by 3. The bench was good tonight, they did what they were supposed to. They weren't perfect, but benches rarely play perfectly.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Honestly, just having Watson and Scola was huge. Watson looked steady with the ball and played better than Hill. Scola looked a bit shakier than normal, but still pretty reliable.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Even 75% of Danny Granger taking OJ's minutes would be huge.

No arguement here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

These kind of comments are unnecessary / unwanted

im gonna keep this civil. most of the names on this list are not even reasonable.

how are we going to acquire Tyler Zellar, Cody Zellar

snipped

Koufous??

Splitter -

snipped

starting PF.
    R Evans - not an upgrade
    JO - 3rd big sure, he cant be relied on 20 minutes a nite for 82 games.
    Blatche - no way. were not bringing in Ron Artest 3.0
    Birdman, you want that guy weraring a Pacers unniform.
    Varegjo -- how are we suppose to acqurire these guys.

snipped

I regret requesting a list.

Lets just leave it to the LEGEND.

Mahnimi may lack brute force but he does not suck. those are harsh words.

Not the place to be criticizing admins

GG sucked. Murphy sucked.

Iain is a very serviceable center. I just want a third big.

Anyone else go a list please.

I know that JO was with that magical Phoenix medical staff last year, but I'd still be absolutely shocked if he were able to handle a full playoff workload in his 18th season. I'd much rather have Mahinmi simply because he can be counted on to at least be healthy.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Just wanted to mention that in the second quarter the bench + Lance had outscored Miami's bench + Wade by 3. The bench was good tonight, they did what they were supposed to. They weren't perfect, but benches rarely play perfectly.
    If by "bench" you mean 2 players then sure Scola and Watson are great.

Some baiting and personal comments need to be cut out by multiple parties. Eventually that stuff will be infraction worthy if it isn't stopped. Just make your points, don't make it personal, or don't make jackassed side-comments that stir people up, and you'll be fine.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Ian's shortcomings really get manified against the Heat because Roy is just do darn effective against them. The Heat start attacking immediately when he's out. You aren't going to find a backup that can do everything that Roy does out there. That being said, Ian has to do a better job of just his overall awareness and presence out there. Challenge shots and use all 6 of your fouls, rebound, set screens, hit the wide open dunks/bunnies, and hit your free throws. I think everyone would be pretty happy if he did that efficiently and effectively.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would truly appreciate getting P4E's opinion is on Greg Oden. Specifically, how effective may he be for the Heat.

I root for Oden, I believe every Hoosier should, but I don't want him to be the difference.

I thought Ian was really rough tonight. Bad fouls, not in position. I don't expect him to be productive offensively, but I do expect him to play well defensively without fouling too much, and lately he's just not getting it done. He can right the ship in that regard moving forward, but it's been bad lately.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    Yeah, Mahimi sucks.
    for those he state he "sucks" (not directed at anyone) directed all neutral posters.

I see several thanked this comment. Please elaborate on whom is an upgrade at 4 M.

I would deal Cope for the third big.

***** why does solo have a deer in headlights look even on the bench. im not saying on the court. he looks lost while sitting on the pine.

solo may become a legit player, he has athleticsm, but Snell looks legit and got taken two spots ahead. darnit.

I don't think an upgrade is coming regardless of whether anyone thinks he sucks or does not suck.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Ian's shortcomings really get manified against the Heat because Roy is just do darn effective against them. The Heat start attacking immediately when he's out. You aren't going to find a backup that can do everything that Roy does out there. That being said, Ian has to do a better job of just his overall awareness and presence out there. Challenge shots and use all 6 of your fouls, rebound, set screens, hit the wide open dunks/bunnies, and hit your free throws. I think everyone would be pretty happy if he did that efficiently and effectively.
    pretty much it right there. Iain got the tools. he just isn't "dale davis" like and that's okay. my guess is its the European player in him... not a slight I mean look at Luis, he plays mean.

I guess that's what it is. Iain doesn't play mean enuff. Hell foster was not a brute, but he was mean. listen,,, don't anyone misinterpret,,, yall know what I mean.

reference Dale Davis,,, if Mahinmi had that nasty streak in him he prob would be the best darn backup center in the league. his versalitility is overlooked by many of us.

Im not overly concerned because guys like a fesenko will prob be there.

Iain played damn well tonite imo. if he brings that in the playoffs were good.

Mood

Luis Scola, you beautiful *******! I love ya!

Mahinmi is a serious problem for me, I cant for the life of me get to grips with that he is our back up center. He comes in and he just looks uncomfortable playing basketball. I want to throw my TV out the window everytime we have one of our players make a really good basketball play and find him under the basket and he in his normal fashion starts fumbling around with the ball like its one fire.

Then his free throw shooting, FFS hit one of them at least.

It would be amazing if at the end of the season we could find one of those vets trying to make one last run and sign em to back up Roy (Like when we signed Dale the 2nd time)