Default Re: The bench still isn't good enough

lol ok

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago with Rose.
    Eh, he was still struggling to find his form. And it was at home. Even with Rose I don't think Chicago was all that good anyway

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone with more knowledge will have to clarify but players will be bought out at some point. There are some good players that may become available.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope Luis Scola comes in this thread and takes y'all to church. If we cna't figure out a way to make the bench work with a guy like that anchoring it then our coaching staff needs to take a look in the mirror. Scola would be the best player on 90% of the benches in the NBA.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I hope Luis Scola comes in this thread and takes y'all to church. If we cna't figure out a way to make the bench work with a guy like that anchoring it then our coaching staff needs to take a look in the mirror. Scola would be the best player on 90% of the benches in the NBA.
    someone take OJ's jumper to Church. needs divine intervention.

* looks like OJ changed his jumper over the offseason.. kicking his leg out.. almost looks awkward.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 12-08-2013 at 02:16 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

lol ok
    No kidding my exact reaction. The bench is more than fine. It is a good NBA bench. If we lose this year it won't be the benches fault. It will be Lebron James being Lebron James.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

OJ might as well be asleep when he plays. He cant do anything to help the team right now, when Danny comes back (:/) this will all be solved. CJ,Danny,Scola will be just fine for us during the playoffs. Short rotations during that time anyway

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Powww For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    I know SA made a run but why was Coach Vogel playing 55 and Luis.... contest was in hand and we play OKC in a b2b.
    Scola's been playing pretty light minutes this season, and I assume Vogel wasn't warming up to the idea of emptying the bench versus and 5-man unit of the Spurs. He stuck Hibbert back in so he could pick up a tenth rebound and a double double.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I am disappointed w/ our backup wings for sure. However, if you want to bring the SAS game into it, I think we played one our best if not the best 2nd quarter of the year tonight. Danny will come back and be an upgrade on the wing. Scola/Danny/ and CJ should be able to give us quality minutes and not blow leads like last years playoff run. The next quarter of the season will be very interesting because I wanna see how well Danny plays with the 2nd unit.

Over-reaction thread to the last 10 minutes. Our bench is a little inconsistent(even Scola), but is ions above last year's bench that came within a blink of the NBA finals. Frank knew the game was in the bag and the Spurs were in gambling/desperation mode. Bench is fine.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Over-reaction thread to the last 10 minutes. Our bench is a little inconsistent(even Scola), but is ions above last year's bench that came within a blink of the NBA finals. Frank knew the game was in the bag and the Spurs were in gambling/desperation mode. Bench is fine.
    Watched a Bird and Simmons interview earlier today and Legend spoke of the Bench in 86 that was 10 deep. I am strictly going to defer to Bird as the final say on the bench.

Watson, Scola are consistent. Bird knows what the playoffs are all about. I believe we have now all become witnesses to what Legend can make it happen.

Hibbert for JO
    Murphy for DC
    GG for Scola
    2nd for Barbosa

bottom line: were building for more than just this season. I would like to see us add a rugged backup center. a guy like Kendrick Perkins comes to mind since were playing OKC.

easier said than done but eventually Legend will get the right guy in here. Mahnihmi is very serviceable but I would love to have Jeff Foster on this team w the second unit.

imagine Scola and Foster working together. poetry on the court.

cope deserves minutes he is a good player but not the best fit.

I know the Heat are looking to make a move for their backcourt,,, other teams are going to improve and Oden is still a possibility for the heat. hell I would be okay with a guy like allen right now the way OJ's playing.. which leads me to wonder if Reggie has anything left. Surely he can guard Jesus Shuttlesworth.

bottom line we need a bruiser at backup center.

Pacers hang a Banner and I hope Simon keeps this team intact Granger/Scola.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched a Bird and Simmons interview earlier today and Legend spoke of the Bench in 86 that was 10 deep. I am strictly going to defer to Bird as the final say on the bench.

Watson, Scola are consistent. Bird knows what the playoffs are all about. I believe we have now all become witnesses to what Legend can make it happen.

Hibbert for JO
    Murphy for DC
    GG for Scola
    2nd for Barbosa

bottom line: were building for more than just this season. I would like to see us add a rugged backup center. a guy like Kendrick Perkins comes to mind since were playing OKC.

easier said than done but eventually Legend will get the right guy in here. Mahnihmi is very serviceable but I would love to have Jeff Foster on this team w the second unit.

I know the Heat are looking to make a move for their backcourt,,, other teams are going to improve and Oden is still a possibility for the heat. hell I would be okay with a guy like allen right now the way OJ's playing.. which leads me to wonder if Reggie has anything left. Surely he can guard Jesus Shuttlesworth.

The Pacers just need the non-sucky version of Ian that's shown up during this trip, would much rather have him than Perkins at that contract. Cope isn't good enough to earn minutes on this team, he's sort of a hopeful sparkplug if the team needs scoring but that's it.

And if the Heat are hoping Greg Oden (the dude who hasn't played a regular season game since 2009) is what puts them over the top of the Pacers, they're screwed. That LeBron dude runs the show for them and all their hopes base off him.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Hibbert for JO
    Murphy for DC
    GG for Scola
    2nd for Barbosa

I like Scola, but he has been up and down all year. Not a big deal as he is still adjusting to everybody and a new environment, but to say he has been consistent is wrong.

Mood

I LOVE that Scola is one of those rare players that seems to play BETTER on the Road. How many times has this team started off sluggish during Road Games, and he comes in late in the 1st/early in the 2nd and puts up 8-12 points and really gets the team going?

I love you, Luis! You Beautiful *******!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    To be fair I don't think we played anybody.
    We played the Bulls in that stretch before Rose went down. The bench certainly contributed a lot to that win.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I like Scola, but he has been up and down all year. Not a big deal as he is still adjusting to everybody and a new environment, but to say he has been consistent is wrong.
    Scola has been consistent lately. He has scored 8 or more points in 13 of our last 16 games.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    The Spurs have an extremely good bench, though. They have outplayed their starters even in the playoffs in some occassions. Plus, the crowd was cheering them like crazy and it's obvious that they got a lot of momentum out of it.

Our bench is good. It's not the best in the league but it's quite good and it will become stronger when Danny comes back.
    This thread was created well before the 4th quarter.

The bench has been the reason for our second-quarter woes this season. It's not a strong defensive unit and if Scola or CJ aren't scoring the ball we give up leads/dig holes very quickly.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I do agree that OJ/Solo position needs be better. DG is that guy hopefully. I don't have a problem with Ian as our backup C
    David "And One" West

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

If Danny comes back as even a serviceable player then there's no problem with the bench. If he doesn't then that lack of scoring might hurt us in the playoffs.

Mood

I honestly think they are fine, especially if Danny comes back and is even a fraction of his former self.

Release Rasual!

As others have pointed out the line-ups we are seeing for long stretches in the 1st & 2nd halves will not be seeing that kind of court time starting later in the playoffs. Hibbert, West, Scola & George will be playing many more minutes at that point. This bench is plenty good enough and positionally balanced enough to save a lot of regular season wear & tear on the key guys. Vogel will have the playoff rotations figured out by March and (assuming no injuries) come May this discussion will be forgotten.

I'm not even considering Granger in the equation at this point either.

Mood

It doesn't matter...their not gonna play as a unit in the playoffs..our bench is good enough to have 2-3 of them in together at a time with some starters in the playoffs. And that's all that matters.

I think playing Copeland more would definitely help the bench.

#FreeCope

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolwuttermelons For This Useful Post:

Scola has been great and is the best Pacer bench player in years. Watson is an ideal backup PG. There's no denial that those two guys are superior to anything we had off the bench last year. Everyone on this forum has nothing but praise for them.

That being said, the backup wings just aren't any good. Juice is extremely erratic and is just never going to be very good. Solo is your typical late first round rookie who is completely overwhelmed on a great team. I'm not criticizing the guy, but it was always a complete pipe dream to think that a late first round rookie was going to come in and be a key cog on a elite team like the Pacers. That just doesn't happen much.

Now if DG can come back and play solid consistent basketball while remaining healthy, then that obviously completely changes the outlook of the backup wings. But it still remains to be seen if it can actually happen. If DG still isn't playing a few weeks from now, then it's time to seriously consider offering him plus a second rounder to any team with an expiring wing. Odds are it won't work, but it will be worth trying if he can't get healthy. We need a backup wing who can be counted upon.

Also, Mahinmi has way too many games where he is just a complete stiff who adds nothing. He will never be worth Collison + the 4 year $16 million contract.

Last night just reaffirmed that we should pretty much never play 5 bench players at once.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-08-2013 at 12:42 PM.