Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about Stephenson.

Default Re: A question about Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope this doesn't happen, but Lance could pull an Al Harrington, and want to be "The man" somewhere else. The Pacers are Paul George's team, and will be as long as Lance is around
    He needs to learn to contribute consistently before he even dreams about being "the man". If he were "the man" on this team we wouldn't have any wins. Keep in mind I'm a huge supporter of Lance. But his potential needs to be realized before we start talking about him being "the man".

Not many teams will be "that" under the cap to offer him more than 8 million. My guess is possibly 5 to 6 teams and fewer than that who have a need for him as a starting sg. To me this is a good year for the Pacers to have one of their starting 5 go to FAs.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-09-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Especially when you consider that we're going to go on another deep playoff run in which Lance is once again showcased to the entire league. Had Lance been a FA after last year, then I have a feeling that his solid playoff performance would have been enough for a team to give him a sizable offer. Add another year to it with excellent regular season play and another postseason run in which he will have some very good games, and there's no doubt that someone will be willing to give him a nice contract.

Just look at Croshere. All it took for him to get that big contract was an excellent postseason in 2000.
    Lance had a few good games, but ppdidnt play anywhere close to well enough to garner a sizeable. He averaged 9ppg on 40% shooting, 28% for 3 and 62% from the FT line in 35 mins. Not numbers you want to see from your starting 2 even if he did play on a conference finalist.

If Lance's recent up and down play continues throughout the season and playoffs, he'd be hard pressed to get a large contract due to his unusual (yet diverse) skillset. He's a great fit for our team obviously, but idk how many other teams want a ball handling 2 who's best/most consistent aspects of his game are his passing and ability to rebound, while his shortcomings include consistent shooting from 3 (a big part of playing the perimeter these days) and his ability to consistency be a threat offensively.

I think Lance's strengths and skills are a perfect fit for our team, but idk how well he fits in with other teams or how many other teams would accept/put up with his on again/off again attitude.

Edit: but you never know...a team like the Kings or someone could always reach and make a big offer just because they can

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Lance, but he's no where close to being "the man" here or anywhere else. His talent and skill-set is unique, but I feel like people here greatly overrate his value.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I like Lance, but he's no where close to being "the man" here or anywhere else. His talent and skill-set is unique, but I feel like people here greatly overrate his value.
    I agree and I really like Lance and hope he can stay for a reasonable amount. He just seems to fit here perfect. I could really see him crashing and burning with another team though.

I really think the playoffs will determine a lot of what will happen with Lance.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I don't think Lance is going anywhere. He respects Bird too much for him to leave for a couple extra mil.

I think it's not too early to think about a Plan B if Lance gets some crazy offer from a team desperate to get a plus defending 2 that can dribble and create. In today's NBA, Lance has a desirable skillset that is complementary to a lot of the new shoot-first point guards out there. As to who we would pursue, I'd say Afflalo would be number one, but I think at this point, it'd take Granger's expiring plus a future 1st. Another guy that's on a reasonable contract is Courtney Lee. He should be available, as Boston isn't interested in competing this year.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Let's say it'd take $10 mil a year to get Lance to leave. So Blazers, Bulls (unless Deng walks and they amnesty Boozer), Cavs (right now, and still have Waiters), Celtics, Clippers, Grizzlies (unless you think ZBo's turning down 17 mil), Kings (unless Gay opts out, possible, but McLemore), Knicks, Nets, Nugs, Pelicans (finally dump EJ? still have Tyreke), Thunder, Warriors Wolves, Rockets, and us. All over the cap w/o further moves of varying degrees of likelihood.

The big 3 in Miami could all opt out. None of them are going to do that so they can sign Lance. Duncan could opt out and the Spurs could afford him, Lance seem like a Spur to anyone?

Teams with the money. Bucks, Magic, Pistons (with looming Drummond and Monroe extensions), Bobcats, Hawks, Mavericks, Suns, Jazz, and Sixers. All will/most likely will have 10+ mil.

Bucks, Mayo, but maybe. Magic, maybe if/when they dump Afflalo and really decide to do that Oladipo PG Of The Future thing. Pistons can't afford another big salary with those extensions. Bobcats should chase him. Hawks should chase him. Mavs, maybe, but Ellis is working out great at the 2 for them. Suns would make sense, move Dragic/Bledsoe to a supersub role or just move Dragic period. Jazz maybe, slide Hayward to the 3, but who knows what kind of interest and organization like Utah'd have. Sixers I could see going either way, they've already won a flier on Wroten and I could see them saying hey we're still multiple years out, let's stay in the lotto. Or I could see them trying to sign him.