Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Stephenson.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A question about Stephenson.

Lets just say hypothetically speaking Stephenson gets offered 10 million a year and we decide not to match. What players do you think we could go after in FA this summer. I'm curious now and I know we have this season to think about first but I like to know what you think what players are our back up plans to Lance. I love Lance though.

Do you think we go after players such as Stuckey, Hinrich and Jordon Hanmilton or who? How much would they command.

I'm really intrigued by Jordon Hill too. Is there a team this summer that would trade for Mahinmi and Copeland to clear space?
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”

Default Re: A question about Stephenson.

My opinion on this kind of stuff is, at this point in time the only people who should be worrying about that are the FO. Just enjoy the season, and start worry about that kind of stuff once the season is over.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll just ride the train atm and wait it out.

If the Pacers wanted to gamble (I don't think they'd ever do it because Larry feels attached to Lance and probably feel they can get a contract), the Granger to Orlando for Afflalo (probably draft pick involved too, and obviously another player from Orlando to Indy) would be a good safety net. If they resign Lance, then you could re-trade Afflalo for cap space the next season I'm sure, though that would probably mean paying the luxury tax one season.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My opinion on this kind of stuff is, at this point in time the only people who should be worrying about that are the FO. Just enjoy the season, and start worry about that kind of stuff once the season is over.
    O yea I am defiantly enjoying this season, its just I'm the type that likes research around the NBA as if I am SAS trying to find trade rumors haha. Its fun for me to think of possible players going here or there.
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge_24 For This Useful Post:

Kobe Bryant at Shooting Guard $30,453,805
    Joe Johnson at Shooting Guard $21,466,718
    Dwyane Wade at Shooting Guard $18,673,000
    Eric Gordon at Shooting Guard $14,283,844
    James Harden at Shooting Guard $13,701,250
    Ben Gordon at Shooting Guard $13,200,000
    Andre Iguodala at Shooting Guard, Small Forward $12,868,632
    DeMar DeRozan at Shooting Guard $9,500,000
    Marcus Thornton at Shooting Guard $8,050,000
    O.J. Mayo at Shooting Guard $8,000,000

I've been saying, I don't think Lance will get more than 8 million. The best 2-guard right now statistically, Aaron Affalo is getting 7.5 million per year (flat contract). Lance just started playing consistently this season, and he still has a ways to go. I'm totally taking the under for Lance's new contract.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Unless Lance shores up some things, including his attitude, no way he commands 10M. I doubt he even finds a suitor at 8M/year. 6M/year is probably closer to where is at right now, primarily due to consistency (or lack thereof) on offense. Does he have a lot of potential? Sure. Is he a pretty solid defender? Sure. He really needs to get a little more consistent to move up the food ladder. He also needs to watch his attitude on the court because it will eliminate more than a few suitors. He's just not good enough yet to carry a lot of baggage. If he does get good enough, he will get paid regardless of his attitude because some teams will always pay for the best talent. But at this point Lance has some work to do on both fronts.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Lance is unrestricted, just to make that clear. I think there's a good chance he and his team see what the market is and then come to the Pacers and tell them to get as close as possible, but they aren't in any way required to, it'd be a courtesy. It's not like Roy where we can match a signed contract and keep him, Lance signs somewhere else that's it, he's gone.

If Lance does leave, firstly good for him, get paid as much as you can when you can, and two we'd have the non taxpayer midlevel exception to spend, which'll be a bit higher than it is this year at 5.15 million.

Regardless, none of this really matters. We're keeping Lance, I have zero doubts.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I'll just ride the train atm and wait it out.

If the Pacers wanted to gamble (I don't think they'd ever do it because Larry feels attached to Lance and probably feel they can get a contract), the Granger to Orlando for Afflalo (probably draft pick involved too, and obviously another player from Orlando to Indy) would be a good safety net. If they resign Lance, then you could re-trade Afflalo for cap space the next season I'm sure, though that would probably mean paying the luxury tax one season.
    Why would ORL give their best player and arguably a top 15 ish player this season away for an expiring who they could sign this off season? To get Affalo away from ORL it would take a haul. He is so deadly. He is by far the best post up guard in basketball.

Granger doesnt have value close to AA he hasnt played in ages. Even if he was healthy. I am not sure he is worth Affalo and what he is bringing this year.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-06-2013 at 08:10 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Im not sure if its been said yet....but keep in mind that the Pacers will be over the Salary Cap in 2014-2015. That means that most that the Pacers can offer is a Tax Payers Mid Level Exception contract starting at $3.18 mil a year. That would net us a quality Role Player on the free market.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Im not sure if its been said yet....but keep in mind that the Pacers will be over the Salary Cap in 2014-2015. That means that most that the Pacers can offer is a Tax Payers Mid Level Exception contract starting at $3.18 mil a year. That would net us a quality Role Player on the free market.
    I'm not sure about that. We aren't in the LT the MMLE is just for LT teams. The other teams under the LT but still over the salary cap still have the full MLE. I doubt we use the full MLE. Bird has said numerous times we can't afford to pay the LT and signing a full MLE guy and retaining Lance or Granger would likely put us in the LT.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I'm not sure about that. We aren't in the LT the MMLE is just for LT teams. The other teams under the LT but still over the salary cap still have the full MLE. I doubt we use the full MLE. Bird has said numerous times we can't afford to pay the LT and signing a full MLE guy and retaining Lance or Granger would likely put us in the LT.
    I was going off of the initial assumptiom that the OP made....which was "what if the Pacers decide not to keep Lance ( cuz he's to expensive ) and decide to go after a Player on the Free Agent Market."

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Not keeping Lance would be a horrible mistake by the front office. I know this is a hypothetical situation and I also know that we can't just give everyone a ton of money, but it would be a HUGE mistake to let Lance walk.

We need Lance and to be honest, he needs us. I think there was probably 2-3 teams that could have worked with Lance to get him to this point and we were one of them. He might have a good career if he signs elsewhere, but I don't see him winning elsewhere.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Not keeping Lance would be a horrible mistake by the front office. I know this is a hypothetical situation and I also know that we can't just give everyone a ton of money, but it would be a HUGE mistake to let Lance walk.

We need Lance and to be honest, he needs us. I think there was probably 2-3 teams that could have worked with Lance to get him to this point and we were one of them. He might have a good career if he signs elsewhere, but I don't see him winning elsewhere.
    About the only other team I see him having similar success with would be San Antonio, a no bs situation.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

I was going off of the initial assumptiom that the OP made....which was "what if the Pacers decide not to keep Lance ( cuz he's to expensive ) and decide to go after a Player on the Free Agent Market."
    p4e's right. I mean, not to be a dick, but it's "taxpayer midlevel" and "non-taxpayer midelevel," we obviously won't be paying the luxury tax next year. Your MLE option is only reduced if you're paying the tax. If Lance got a big deal elsewhere we've got ~5.2ish mil to offer whoever. And maybe sorta/kinda try and fit Danny (if he shows anything) + whoever using part of the MLE under the tax.

Sports Logo

D'oh, i got it.....we will be under the LT...so we still have the full $5+ mil exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    About the only other team I see him having similar success with would be San Antonio, a no bs situation.
    That was the team I had in mind when I said 2-3 teams in the league.

I don't think there is much chance Lance comes back for less than 8 million a year. I think even that number might be quite a bit low. I would be interested in seeing the list of 2 guards that are not on rookie contracts, making less than 8 million a year, that people would rather have than Lance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    I don't think there is much chance Lance comes back for less than 8 million a year. I think even that number might be quite a bit low. I would be interested in seeing the list of 2 guards that are not on rookie contracts, making less than 8 million a year, that people would rather have than Lance.
    Aaron Afflalo and Wes Matthews to name 2. And it's not about who you'd rather have than Lance, it's that if Lance wants a contract where he's overpaid, we may have to look at other, less expensive options. That's what happens when you have a good team, at some point there are casualties and you can't afford to keep everyone.

The 2guard position is a tad less valued than say the PG spot. 8mil/yr nabs you an above average PG nowadays. That figure is about 6mil/yr for 2 guards. (Unless you want to get paid and go to a bad team like OJ Mayo)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Unless Lance shores up some things, including his attitude, no way he commands 10M. I doubt he even finds a suitor at 8M/year. 6M/year is probably closer to where is at right now, primarily due to consistency (or lack thereof) on offense. Does he have a lot of potential? Sure. Is he a pretty solid defender? Sure. He really needs to get a little more consistent to move up the food ladder. He also needs to watch his attitude on the court because it will eliminate more than a few suitors. He's just not good enough yet to carry a lot of baggage. If he does get good enough, he will get paid regardless of his attitude because some teams will always pay for the best talent. But at this point Lance has some work to do on both fronts.
    I do agree that Lance isn't worth 10 million, but don't assume that someone isn't willing to over pay. Bad contracts are common. Several GM's with money looking to sign an impact player to get the fan base excited.
    David "And One" West

Gotta be Nick Young, Gold Swaggy P.

I hope this doesn't happen, but Lance could pull an Al Harrington, and want to be "The man" somewhere else. The Pacers are Paul George's team, and will be as long as Lance is around
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I hope this doesn't happen, but Lance could pull an Al Harrington, and want to be "The man" somewhere else. The Pacers are Paul George's team, and will be as long as Lance is around
    Just a matter of opinion...but I think that Lance understands that he's no "Batman" and likely suited to be a "Robin". At most I can see him wanting a Starting Spot as the Starting SG....something that he can get from many Teams.

I'm more curious about which Teams are $8 to 9 mil under the Salary Cap and can offer a Starting SG spot to him.

I'm not suggesting that he is worth it....but I can see some Team really overpaying him at $8 mil a year just to sign him.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-07-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I'm not suggesting that he is worth it....but I can see some Team really overpaying him at $8 mil a year just to sign him.
    Especially when you consider that we're going to go on another deep playoff run in which Lance is once again showcased to the entire league. Had Lance been a FA after last year, then I have a feeling that his solid playoff performance would have been enough for a team to give him a sizable offer. Add another year to it with excellent regular season play and another postseason run in which he will have some very good games, and there's no doubt that someone will be willing to give him a nice contract.

Just look at Croshere. All it took for him to get that big contract was an excellent postseason in 2000.

Personally I love Stephensons swagger that he carries but he is way too inconsistant for me. Id like the Pacers to try and go get Afflalo.

It will be interesting to see how much interest Lance gets from other teams around the league because of his unusual skill set. Not your prototypical SG and doesn't have the quickness to be a PG. Teams value secondary ball handlers, but if someone is going to offer him 8mil+ they would want to be have a lineup in which his skills would work.