Thread: Grantland Bill and Jalen's 33 day Recap- The First Birdmester (Pacers content)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Grantland Bill and Jalen's 33 day Recap- The First Birdmester (Pacers content)

I just finished up a piece from Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose via the Grantland Channel on Youtube. They had VERY high praise for our beloved Indiana Pacers. Such declarations as "Indiana is the #1 seed in the East." "They bring that old school Bad Boy Pistons attitude" and a long discussion about Paul George's MVP credentials and place among the league's elite players, they have him at #3, right behind KD. They also mentioned that LBJ and PG are by far the two best two-way players in the game and that it's "not even close" (ie whoever three is, is light years behind Paul and Bron). There was another bit about the Pacers being the ultimate foil for Miami. If you wrote a movie script for LBJ and Miami's three-peat quest, the Pacers would be the antagonist you'd choose. A big strong rim protector upfront, a two way freak show to chase LeBron around and make him work on both ends and the supporting cast and attitude the Pacers bring. Bill Simmons ends by saying, "The Indiana Pacers WILL win 70 games. It's going to be a hell of season and I'm looking forward to it."

Link to part 1/4, if you time (close to two hours) I recommend all four. Sure, there's alot of goofy crap. That's to be expected from Grantland, but Bill S. is mostly entertaining and Jalen Rose is always great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJ_...8aS0k4r8bB5I5Q
    Last edited by Drew46229; 12-06-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Clarified bit about it not being close

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Grantland Bill and Jalen's 33 day Recap- The First Birdmester (Pacers content)

I haven't heard the second part, but a few casts ago, Simmons said " we're about two weeks of PG playing like this, from having a serious #2 discussion between him and KD " which I agree. But 70 wins? I have to see what happens in these next three games. I'm not on the 70 bandwagon yet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Grantland Bill and Jalen's 33 day Recap- The First Birdmester (Pacers content)

With Simmons, it's the Larry Legend effect. I think he'd still like us, but I don't think he'd put us at 70 wins if it was still Donnie and Pritch leading this team.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

I think we might win 70 if Miami keeps it close, but last year if I remember right we let up and lost the last three games. I don't think Miami will go all out to catch us, so the best I think we will do is break our season wins record.

Of course it will depend on what the west teams do too.

Antagonists? More like liberators.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Simmons's Bird worship is honestly getting sorta creepy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Simmons always tries to downplay the Pacers until he can't anymore. Do Jalen and Bill have that good of chemistry? Seems like they do everything together.
    @qandrews9428

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just watched all four parts. EXCELLENT NBA discussion outside the usual copy and paste talk that anyone who watches NBA media could stand up and say verbatim. LOTS of Pacers love throughout. Not just PG, but Hibbs, Lance and West get a lot of individual praise. Even Hill gets complimented for being part of a starting 5 that doesn't have to hide anyone on the defensive end.

WATCH THE LAST FEW MINUTES OF PART 4!!!!!! RIGHT NAO!!!!

This will make you so proud to be a Pacers fan. Bill and Jalen both agree that what the Pacers have in spades is an intimidation factor. Bill says that if you're a player (in his example he used Tony Allen), that you are very very leery of undercutting/hard-fouling/cheap shotting a Pacer as you will spend the rest of the game looking over your shoulder. Jalen says not just for big DWest either, but that Hibbert, Lance, Hill.....all of the Pacers are tough dudes. Bill agrees and says that the Pacers just have an old school Bad Boys Pistons effect and its real.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will make you so proud to be a Pacers fan. Bill and Jalen both agree that what the Pacers have in spades is an intimidation factor. Bill says that if you're a player (in his example he used Tony Allen), that you are very very leery of undercutting/hard-fouling/cheap shotting a Pacer as you will spend the rest of the game looking over your shoulder. Jalen says not just for big DWest either, but that Hibbert, Lance, Hill.....all of the Pacers are tough dudes. Bill agrees and says that the Pacers just have an old school Bad Boys Pistons effect and its real.
    I am not sure I get that feeling from the Pacers. I have never seen them retaliate even after some of the crap
    Miami pulled two years ago on Lance. They play hard defense but I see no one who will lay a hard fall on someone.
    Jeff Foster and Dale Davis were like that but I don't see that in our current players.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Danny isn't afraid to take a shot at someone who he feels swung first, but in general I agree with owl that I don't get that impression from this group as a whole. We're very physical, we can take someone being physical back, but it doesn't go to something more than that.

The consequences of retaliating are far more severe than they were in the Bad Boy Piston days (fines, ejections, suspensions). We simply can't afford to lose a player like West or Hibbert because they lose their temper. That being said, I really do wish that we had a hired goon whose role on the team was to come in and give wicked hard fouls to clowns like Wade and LeBron in the playoffs. I wish that Jeff Foster was still capable of playing just so he could come in and do that. If a guy like an old Foster gets thrown out, then you can live with it. Remember when he was fouling Rose hard in that 2011 series? He was really getting under Rose's skin. I really do wish we'd sign a big man whose sole purpose was to be the hired hit man. We should have sent Plumlee in to do it in the Heat series last year.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-07-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Danny isn't afraid to take a shot at someone who he feels swung first, but in general I agree with owl that I don't get that impression from this group as a whole. We're very physical, we can take someone being physical back, but it doesn't go to something more than that.
    Well, let's just say that if LBJ puts his foot under George or one of our other starters, I think we have the players who will not hesitate at responding in a like manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The consequences of retaliating are far more severe than they were in the Bad Boy Piston days (fines, ejections, suspensions). We simply can't afford to lose a player like West or Hibbert because they lose their temper. That being said, I really do wish that we had a hired goon whose role on the team was to come in and give wicked hard fouls to clowns like Wade and LeBron in the playoffs. I wish that Jeff Foster was still capable of playing just so he could come in and do that. If a guy like an old Foster gets thrown out, then you can live with it. Remember when he was fouling Rose hard in that 2011 series? He was really getting under Rose's skin. I really do wish we'd sign a big man whose sole purpose was to be the hired hit man. We should have sent Plumlee in to do it in the Heat series last year.
    I for one would welcome Foster back in any capacity if he were to decide he had something to offer. One more big man off the bench would be a good thing to have going into the playoffs.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That is kind of what Hansbrough brought that we simply don't have at this point. He at least got under the skin of the opposition, could take their retaliation, and would continuously keep them off balance mentally by making them at least be uncomfortably aware of his presence all the time.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I am not sure I get that feeling from the Pacers. I have never seen them retaliate even after some of the crap
    Miami pulled two years ago on Lance. They play hard defense but I see no one who will lay a hard fall on someone.
    Jeff Foster and Dale Davis were like that but I don't see that in our current players.
    I think everyone just knew Lance had that coming to him and there's no reason to perpetuate a feud between bottom-level bench players (which both him and Pittman were at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The one time Danny really got in Lebron's face two years ago I found to be completely unnecessary. It seemed totally forced. I agree though, I think Danny would stick up for someone when it was needed.

And for those of you who think Foster's intentions were to come in and be a hit man, I think the media got to your heads. Jeff was never that kind of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    And for those of you who think Foster's intentions were to come in and be a hit man, I think the media got to your heads. Jeff was never that kind of player.
    Agreed on this. Foster played tough and hard, but he's nowhere near the enforcer that someone like Dale Davis was. Just because he put a hard foul on Rose one time that Rose complained about in the playoffs, doesn't make him that kind of player.

We don't necessarily have that guy anymore, I don't think anyone in the league would want to mess around with David West though.