Thread: Gary Kubiak fired by the Texans

Default Gary Kubiak fired by the Texans

Can't say it wasn't deserved but he should've taken the rest of the season off after his collapse

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-loss/related/

Gary Kubiak fired by Texans after 11th straight loss

It now appears official.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports has reported that the Texans have fired coach Gary Kubiak, who is expected at a press conference soon.

Kubiak has already told his assistants he has been fired.

The 52-year-old Kubiak built the Texans gradually into a contender, and won 22 games the previous two seasons.

But things bottomed out this year, and last night’s 11th-straight loss dropped him to 61-64 all-time as a head coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Gary Kubiak fired by the Texans

Obviously there was no way he was going to be the coach beyond this season, but why fire him now? Just let the guy finish the season and then can him on black Monday. It's clear that this team has quit on the coach, so why risk jeopardizing the number 1 pick position that they are currently sitting in? The last thing they should want is for the team to get hot with the interim head coach (Wade Phillips?).

It's like the situation with the Colts a couple of years ago. Yeah, Caldwell was awful, but it got to a point where I definitely wanted them to keep Caldwell for the remainder of the season so that they didn't get hot and throwaway the number 1 pick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate to say I told y'all so, but NostraSandman strikes again.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously there was no way he was going to be the coach beyond this season, but why fire him now? Just let the guy finish the season and then can him on black Monday. It's clear that this team has quit on the coach, so why risk jeopardizing the number 1 pick position that they are currently sitting in? The last thing they should want is for the team to get hot with the interim head coach (Wade Phillips?).

It's like the situation with the Colts a couple of years ago. Yeah, Caldwell was awful, but it got to a point where I definitely wanted them to keep Caldwell for the remainder of the season so that they didn't get hot and throwaway the number 1 pick.
    Maybe for health reasons but if that's the case they should've just let him take the rest of the season off.

Of course there are stories of how the team wanted Keenum to remain the starter for the rest of the season but Kubiak put Schaub in and that was the final straw.

Makes you wonder if Manning had gone to the Texans would Kubiak have gotten fired? Apparently he was the one that convinced the Texans to stick with Schaub.

I'm more annoyed that they fired him before the played the Colts
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm more annoyed that they fired him before the played the Colts
    Yeah as strange as it sounds I can see Wade Phillips coaching the Texans to a win here in Indy for the first time. That's what happened when Wade got fired and Jason Garrett took over with the Cowboys.

But for his health its probably for the best considering that he collapsed the last time our teams played. At least they won't talk about that as much.

The team couldn't rally and win for Wade when his dad died or when Kubiak went down. I doubt they will do so now, and even if they win another game they will probably still get the pick. The other contenders are all winning now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    The team couldn't rally and win for Wade when his dad died or when Kubiak went down. I doubt they will do so now, and even if they win another game they will probably still get the pick. The other contenders are all winning now.

It would be in their best interest to tank the next three games but the Texans have shown to not be very smart about this I could see them
    blowing the #1 draft pick.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    It would be in their best interest to tank the next three games but the Texans have shown to not be very smart about this I could see them
    blowing the #1 draft pick.

Exactly. At this point, you have to stick with what isn't working.

Did Jim Caldwell really deserve to continue being our head coach after that Sunday Night massacre in New Orleans in 2011? No, but at that point it was in the franchise's best interest to stick with what wasn't working so that we could get that Number 1 pick.

There was obviously no way that they could bring Kubiak back after this season. But they should have just let him finish the year. Also, it's not his fault that Adrian Foster basically fell off a cliff overnight. He helped mask the quarterback play in prior seasons.

The key difference was that the players never quit on Caldwell like they did on Kubiak.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Really? I think the Colts players did end up tuning him out well some of them. The others were mostly veterans who needed to win to keep their job.

I don't see the Texans cleaning house with the old players like the Colts did after the 2011 debacle a lot of those players are rather young.