Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triple Doubles Overrated?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Triple Doubles Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really, but now that I think about it, maybe a little bit.

OK, done with all sarcasm
    Man, am I confused.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Let me add this.

I know some folks on here are irritated with Lance for trying to get a triple double. But the opportunity (or temptation) of getting one is incredible in terms of his recognition. Since he has gotten two triple doubles every single broadcast team brings it up as soon as his name is mentioned. They also add that he is the only player in the NBA with two. It is his new identity. It communicates very quickly, and very well, the added dimension he brings to the team.

So, my point, is to be a little merciful regarding his temptation to grab a third triple double during a blowout where it doesn't affect the win. He is a generally selfless player who is agreeable to let someone else on the team lead in scoring and play the franchise player role. This is an area where he can shine, and it is understandable he would want to do so.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 12-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

To dovetail onto what McKey Fan has said...
    Lance has indicated he takes pride in his passing game. And I'd say he also understands the value of rebounding and what it adds to the team (considering his success and willingness to rebound from the 2 spot). So I'd think triple doubles are a confidence boost for him to show that he's making valuable contributions to the team concept. It's not like he's out there trying to be the leading scorer and dominating the ball play after play.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It's not like he's out there trying to be the leading scorer and dominating the ball play after play.
    He certainly was during his last minute or so on the court. I've never gone with the thought of letting someone put up stats just to put up stats. Do your job, take the W, let the other guys get a few minutes, smile and move on to the next game.

Players are so much better all around now, I think. trip/dubs can come from almost any position. I love it for the game. Its a really good brand of basketball right now, with superstars and great team play on both ends, and players who are versitile. They have great physical abilities AND fundamentals. I think its the best basketball the league has ever played with this generation of players and I'd consider myself an old school purist. There was a dark time where it was selfish bad basketball, but that time is gone. imho. Triple Doubles are a reflection of this, I think.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

^^ If it comes 'in the flow of the game' ............ sure. But Lance was 1-on-5 trying to get those last few points. THAT'S selfish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

I don't think so. They are hard to get and there really is no such thing as getting a triple double and having a bad game. Not all triple doubles are created equal, but that's like saying not all BMW's are created equal, they're still better than the Pinto.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Man, am I confused.
    See everyone? We still need green font for sarcasm!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    ^^ If it comes 'in the flow of the game' ............ sure. But Lance was 1-on-5 trying to get those last few points. THAT'S selfish.
    It was sort of similar to when Rondo was trying to keep his double figures assists streak alive, and was passing up wide open layups in order to try and get an assist. At the end of the day, we blew the team out, so I really don't care about the selfish act. A lot of players would most likely do the same thing if they were in the same position.

He obviously is a talented passer and rebounder for his position. His 2 triple dubs, and constant flirtation with trip dubs demonstrates that. But to those saying that he should be commended for not trying to dominate the ball and be our leading scorer...it's not like Lance has much of a choice anyways lol. He's never gonna score more than Paul. And Roy and David are going to get their touches inside. Plus, Lance isn't exactly a scorer anyways and as his performances against some of the better teams we've faced has shown (CHI, LAC, POR) he can be taken out of the equation if a team focuses on him a bit.

But also, lets not blow it up into anything big. It was ONE game of him trying to score more points to get some recognition. For a 23 yr old that's trying to fight for his next contract, that's a big deal. As long as he doesn't do it again, it's a non-issue in my eyes.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 12-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Considering the team was feeding him the ball in a blowout win, I wouldn't consider what he did to be exactly selfish. Just a 23 year old kid who is only in his second season of seeing significant playing time, especially as a player who absolutely feeds off crowd energy, we were egging him on that night, hence the near-revolt when he got pulled .
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    I would wager it is maybe 55-60%... Just because a guy gets a trip-dub, doesnt meant that the team played well and won... It could also could be the result of an extended game, see the other night were Oladipo and MCW both go for one in the same game...
    I would guess it is higher than 55-60, but who knows.

If I get around to figuring out the number for myself, I won't count overtime games. Only games where the triple double is achieved in regulation.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If they were overrated, more players would be getting them....it's like saying 40 point games are overrated.
    I might say 40 point games can be more overrated than triple-doubles. Allen Iverson had his fair share of 15-for-42 type of 40 point games.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    I might say 40 point games can be more overrated than triple-doubles. Allen Iverson had his fair share of 15-for-42 type of 40 point games.
    All those fouls and free throws though. That's a big positive even if it's a lousy field goal %.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    There have been 3 quadruple doubles since '85. Hakeem and David Robinson both got one with blocks, and Alvin Robertson got one with steals.
    Wasn't Ron a steal and an assist away from a quadruple double in his first (partial) season with us?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wasn't Ron a steal and an assist away from a quadruple double in his first (partial) season with us?
    I think he was three stats away. But, yes, very close. And he was going for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Considering the team was feeding him the ball in a blowout win, I wouldn't consider what he did to be exactly selfish. Just a 23 year old kid who is only in his second season of seeing significant playing time, especially as a player who absolutely feeds off crowd energy, we were egging him on that night, hence the near-revolt when he got pulled .
    I don't think we can assume that Vogel wasn't fine with him trying to get some points, even forcing it a little. It seems like he kept him in a little longer than he would have. If so, if may have been to help him get the triple double.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Also, on the Portland broadcast, they said Lance leads the entire NBA in assists in the fourth quarter. That's pretty boss.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I would guess it is higher than 55-60, but who knows.

If I get around to figuring out the number for myself, I won't count overtime games. Only games where the triple double is achieved in regulation.
    Since the 1985-86 season, there have been 1,095 triple doubles. 822 of these came in wins. 75%.

Note: I did not remove OT games because I don't know how to do that besides manually looking through game logs. And I sure as hell am not doing that nearly 1,100 times.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    The closest he ever came was 24 pts, 9 reb, 9 ast, 8 stls, and 2 blks against Miami in '02. Also, strangely, he's never had a triple-double.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...203310IND.html
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

No theyre not overrated
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Since the 1985-86 season, there have been 1,095 triple doubles. 822 of these came in wins. 75%.

Note: I did not remove OT games because I don't know how to do that besides manually looking through game logs. And I sure as hell am not doing that nearly 1,100 times.
    I was kinda hoping the data could go back to at least the mid 70s. So thanks for nothing.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

HA! J/K.

Thanks for that stat, however you went about it. I think 75% pretty much confirms that triple-doubles are awfully valuable.

HA! J/K.

Thanks for that stat, however you went about it. I think 75% pretty much confirms that triple-doubles are awfully valuable.
    Might just be a semantics thing, but it doesn't confirm that triple-doubles are important. It confirms that when a player is playing well enough to earn a triple-double his impact typically goes beyond simple stats.

nope, not overrated IMO ... I WILL say though, that there HAVE been a few absolute BONEHEADS selfishly forcing their stats and looking stupid as hell while doing it...

I can't remember who it was off the top of my head, **but I am positive someone here will pipe in with the youtube** , but the player was purposely throwing up doodoo to get his own rebounds lmao... it was so blatant, that you'd have to beliterally blind to not see it...

Now let's see who was it?

Bueuller?

Bueuller?
    Anyone? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

which, again, is obviously not that easy if he was the only one getting them.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004