Thread: Star article on Daniel Adongo

Default Star article on Daniel Adongo

Rugby star Daniel Adongo has put on 32 pounds and is ready to make his Colts debut this weekend on special teams. The Star has an article about him. Here's a very small excerpt:
    "Whether he's using a spin move, a chop spin, rip dip, bull rush, he's working," said linebacker Robert Mathis, marveling at Adongo's use of the pass-rushing techniques.

The Colts promoted Adongo from their practice squad to the 53-man active roster this week because of his rapid development, willingness to do everything asked and his undeniable, extraordinary athletic ability.
    Read the whole article at:
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-spin/3872905/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Star article on Daniel Adongo

Bruno has a blog about Adongo too. I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I wonder if they'll keep him outside or try to transition him to middle LB in the future. It seems odd to me that our OLBs are bigger than our ILBs.

Daniel Adongo wasn’t starting entirely from scratch.

There are some things, after all, that translate directly from rugby to football.

“Hitting people,” he said, flashing a smile. “That’s very similar. The aggression, the technique, put all those things together in a big collision, they are similar in that aspect.”

Beyond that, though, the notion of taking a rugby player out of Africa and transplanting him into the NFL with no developmental stops in between seemed at best fanciful when the Colts signed Adongo this past July.

But a dream Adongo didn’t even know he had until he worked out for the Colts a few months ago is about to come true. The 24-year-old, born in Kenya, groomed in South Africa, was promoted to the active roster Tuesday and may very well play on special teams Sunday when the Colts face the Bengals in Cincinnati.

“I’m excited for the opportunity but with that said, I’m not going to let that excitement get to me,” Adongo said. “It’s being subdued by my duty and obligation to do my job, my task, whatever is asked of me from the team and my coaches, to do to the best of my abilities.”

Since joining the Colts, Adongo has poured himself into the transition, reading, watching, eating and sleeping his new sport. He worked out vigorously, adding more than 30 pounds so that at 6-5, 270 pounds, he certainly looks the part.

As a member of the practice squad scout team, he modeled opposing defenses in practice and showed his speed in special teams workouts. But what he hasn’t really been able to do is the one thing he knows he can do best: hit people.

“He hasn’t been on the field under the lights when it counts but he’s played on a big field before,” said Chuck Pagano. “He’s run around and tackled people before with no pads. So I suspect instinctively he’ll know how to do that and it might be even more physical and violent because he does have pads. So don’t be shocked to see him knock some people around if he gets an opportunity.”

Adongo benefited from the familial culture of the Colts’ locker room. Rather than viewing this freakish young athlete with no experience as a threat, the veterans embraced Adongo, put their arms around him figuratively and literally and helped as much as possible with this literal and figurative crash course.

“ ‘It takes a village to raise a child,’ I like to say,” Adongo said. “I wouldn’t say it surprised me. That’s what great people, great men do. They embrace other people and want to teach them and impart the skills that they have to other people. It’s about sharing what you have, the knowledge that you have, and helping other people grow.”

The first football game Daniel Adongo ever plays will be in the NFL. (Colts photo)

The first football game Daniel Adongo ever plays will be in the NFL. (Colts photo)
    Born in Pretoria, South Africa, Adongo attended high school in Nairobi, Kenya, where he emerged as a bright young rugby prospect. After playing collegiately for the Pretoria Tuks in 2012, he moved into the professional ranks with the Southern Kings of Super 15 Rugby, the sport’s highest level.

The Colts have eyes and ears all over the globe and when word spread of this big, strong, fast and physical athlete, their curiosity was piqued. Adongo had never visited the United States and had only seen bits and pieces of a few NFL games before traveling to Indianapolis for his workout.

Suitably impressed, they signed him quickly and began his football immersion program. How much did he need to learn? He was a half-hour late for the first full-contact practice of training camp because he didn’t know how to put on his equipment.

“The guy couldn’t even put his pants on six months ago, didn’t know how to get into a stance, knew nothing about football and look at where he’s at now,” said Cory Redding. “He’s giving the offensive line fits. He’s strong. He’s fast. Very aggressive player and I cannot wait to see him line up wherever they put him. Whoever’s across from him is going to be in trouble. He’s a heck of a player, you’re all going to see it. And I can’t wait to see him play.”

That curiosity is shared throughout the locker room.

Adongo has made such a strong impression with his combination of quiet professionalism, dedication and fierce competitiveness, the players and coaches have a keen sense of anticipation about this particular debut.

“He’s just going to be running around like his hair is on fire all the time,” said Jerrell Freeman. “And whatever role is being put in front of him, he’s just going to do it with energy and aggression and everything. It’s just the type of guy he is.”

Adongo did not play at all in the preseason, otherwise known as study hall. So assuming Adongo does take the field at some point Sunday in Cincinnati, the first football game he ever plays in will be at the sport’s highest level.

That makes him the ultimate rookie.

Robert Mathis, who considered himself a late-starter when he took up football in the 10th grade, could only smile.

“Must be nice,” he said with a laugh.

For Adongo and the Colts, yes. For the opponents, we shall see.
    http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2013/12/...timate-rookie/

He seems like a great guy. He was funny on the Pat Macfee show. I really hope he works out because he seems to have all the talent in the world, and it helps that he has Cory Redding and Robert Mathis as mentors. I hope he can make a splash on special teams.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did he get any PT? I was looking out for him, but didn't notice.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Pretty sure he recovered one of the ST fumbles. At least the Bengals announcer said his name
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

He probably felt weird wearing all the pads and other football gear when he was out there.

I saw him playing on kick off coverage. Didn't see him making any plays, but I could have missed it.

Just the fact that he is out there on an NFL roster after just learning to put on a helmet in July shows the skill, quick learning, and potential that I think will make him a quality contributor in the NFL one day.

Maybe the Colts have started a trend. The Lions just signed a rugby player to their practice squad. Gonna give him a run at WR. Ran a 4.22 40. That's quick! Hmmm, he played football at Ashland U so he's not totally new to the sport like Adongo.

LLEN PARK, Mich. -- In their never-ending search for players, the Detroit Lions made a curious signing Thursday morning.

Carlin Isles, a member of the United States rugby sevens team, signed as a wide receiver on the Lions' practice squad after trying out with the team earlier this week.

Isles ran the 40-yard dash in 4.22 seconds during his workout with the team this week, according to the Detroit Free Press.

"You're looking for athletes," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "It hasn't been unusual to see basketball players transition to the NFL, and it's not just recently; that goes way back.

"Even track guys like Bob Hayes and Renaldo Nehemiah -- things like that. An athlete's an athlete, and there are skills you can develop, and if you see something that you like, then you can work with him."

Isles played football and ran track at Ashland University, a Division II school, before moving to rugby.

Dubbed by RugbyMag.com as "the fastest man in American rugby," Isles became a YouTube sensation playing rugby because of his speed.

The practice squad spot opened up when Detroit sent tight end Dorin Dickerson to injured reserve and promoted practice squad tight end Matt Veldman to the 53-man roster.

Dickerson hid a concussion from the Lions after being hit in the second half of Sunday's 23-20 overtime loss to the New York Giants. He was eventually diagnosed with a concussion in overtime.