Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Default Re: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

When I was growing up I had a friend, who while in gym class, would shoot from a long distance and yell out something about Rick Mount. Who? I finally realized he played for the Indiana Pacers and was a very good shooter. That was my first realization the Pacers existed.

While I was growing up my family didn't have a television. I personally bought our first one in 1968. It was then I could watch games and see what was going on in the world around me. Bonanza, Hee Haw, Batman, Have Gun Will Travel, etc.

I was a diehard IU fan for years. They were on television all the time and available to view. IU-Purdue was the biggest thing in our area. Lots of Purdue Grads in the farming community and I like watching Bobby Knight coach, until he went off his rocker. It was a good time.

My first experience with the Pacers (who used to play free on channel 4) was seeing Vern Fleming play guard. I saw him when he got his front teeth knocked out. I thought he was fun to watch and since I always feel for the underdog, I became a Pacers fan. I was always for them. Then Larry Bird became a college star at Indiana State. I was a fan of ISU, was devastated when they lost to MSU and Ervin Johnson. (before the Magic) I still believe ISU would have won if LB hadn't had his hand bandaged up. I think it was broken.

Then I became a Boston fan. Rarely missed a game. It was a good time to be a professional basketball fan. What a great time.

When Boston played the Pacers I would always root for the Pacers against them. It was the only time I wanted to see Boston lose. Then the Steve Alford (who?) and Reggie draft happened, the Damon Bailey stuff, both IU players, my interest in the Pacers increased, LB retired from Boston, (sorry Celts), I was a full fledged Pacer fan. Now I really don't want to miss a game at all. I can't afford to go to the games but its fun to watch them.

Ron Artest, JO, Steve Jackson, Jamal Tinsley, Isaiah Thomas were, to me, a tremendous disappointment. They let my team, my state, the fans down in a way I could hardly fathom. I became more a fan watching the overmatched guys who took over for them try to compete against superior competition. The underdog fan that I am.

Then out of the ashes rose my hero LB. lol. He unfortunately chose OB as coach, but otherwise made good choices for the team. So here we are today even more a fan of the Pacers.

Its a GREAT time to be a Pacer fan.

Hoopsforlife

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoopsforlife For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would they get much support in the state for their football team?

The Notre Dame fan base decreases as you go south (which makes sense). Obviously there are a billion of them in the northern part of the state. However, I think that Indy is kind of the cutoff for the Notre Dame fan base. There are quite a few Notre Dame fans in Indy, but they thin out greatly once you go south of the Indy area. I grew up in Southern Indiana and there really aren't that many down there.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Notre Dame fan base decreases as you go south (which makes sense). Obviously there are a billion of them in the northern part of the state. However, I think that Indy is kind of the cut off for the Notre Dame fan base. There are quite a few Notre Dame fans in Indy, but they thin out greatly once you go south of the Indy area. I grew up in Southern Indiana and there really aren't that many down there.
    Thanks.

I'm always interested in fan demographics in Indiana, and also in America as a whole.
    "He's too little! He's too little! Hook his @ss he's too little!!" - David West

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Notre Dame fan base decreases as you go south (which makes sense). Obviously there are a billion of them in the northern part of the state. However, I think that Indy is kind of the cutoff for the Notre Dame fan base. There are quite a few Notre Dame fans in Indy, but they thin out greatly once you go south of the Indy area. I grew up in Southern Indiana and there really aren't that many down there.

There are a fair number of people in the southern portion of the state that couldn't tell you that Notre Dame is in Indiana!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: