Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Default Re: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If by now the team loses fans and viewers to COLLEGE TEAMS I swear to God...
    Prepare to swear to God then.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Prepare to swear to God then.
    34530682.jpg

Most people, at least of the older generations, in Indiana, if they have to chose between college and pro will always choose college.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are you familiar with Indiana? Or do you live in Milwaukee, Tampa, or Syracuse?

College basketball is huge in Indiana. The Pacers can be very popular, but they will never overtake the collective hype of IU/Purdue/Butler.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

College basketball is huge in Indiana. The Pacers can be very popular, but they will never overtake the collective hype of IU/Purdue/Butler.
    I mean I get the Colts reigning over Indy because football is king..but when a college team (no diss to Purdue and Butler fans/alums...but really?) over ranks a elite pro basketball team that's a problem! This goes the show that Pacers may never get the top of the hill..and that sucks.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I mean I get the Colts reigning over Indy because football is king..but when a college team (no diss to Purdue and Butler fans/alums...but really?) over ranks a elite pro basketball team that's a problem! This goes the show that Pacers may never get the top of the hill..and that sucks.
    I'll chime in on the "you been here long?" calls. While the Colts are big, I would venture to say college basketball dwarfs it in Indiana. It isn't as clear because the passion is split between different teams, but I'd bet the vast majority of Colts fans are also huge fans of some Indiana college basketball team.

If nothing else, the ties to Indiana colleges that in some cases go back generations - that's longer than the 45 years the Pacers have been around - make a huge difference.

For a thought experiment, think of the fate of an NFL team in Omaha or compare fandom in Atlanta for the Falcons to Georgia, Georgia Tech, and even Georgia State.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Pretty much like going to Florida and expecting the Jags to have more popularity than the Gators.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Simply IU for example has 10 players from Indiana high schools. Purdue has 12 Indiana high school kids on their roster. This is pretty much standard for the other D1 basketball programs in the state. Easier to root for someone you saw play from your hometown or a neighboring town.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

The only reason the Colts are "King", in reality they are probably 3rd or 4th, over the Pacers right now is because of Artest, Tinsley, Stephenson, and JOB. If those players had their heads on straight the Colts would still be playing second fiddle to the Pacers.

Now, show me a region with college teams with the tradition of IU in basketball or Notre Dame in football that isn't more popular in that region than the pro teams? Maybe the Lakers over UCLA, other than that it just doesn't happen. College sports rule over pro-sports, and is hardly unique to Indiana. There is just so much more history and loyalty that goes into a college than a pro team that it isn't even a fair fight. A university is an stable societal institutions, pro-teams are just businesses (and are becoming more and more business like by the year).

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Either it shows that the Pacers will never get over the hill, or it shows that you are totally ignorant about Indiana. One of those things.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only reason the Colts are "King", in reality they are probably 3rd or 4th, over the Pacers right now is because of Artest, Tinsley, Stephenson, and JOB. If those players had their heads on straight the Colts would still be playing second fiddle to the Pacers.

Now, show me a region with college teams with the tradition of IU in basketball or Notre Dame in football that isn't more popular in that region than the pro teams? Maybe the Lakers over UCLA, other than that it just doesn't happen. College sports rule over pro-sports, and is hardly unique to Indiana. There is just so much more history and loyalty that goes into a college than a pro team that it isn't even a fair fight. A university is an stable societal institutions, pro-teams are just businesses (and are becoming more and more business like by the year).
    I respectfully disagree about the Colts being second fiddle to the Pacers. I remember our 61 win team in 2003 having trouble selling out playoff games in the first 2 rounds. I do realize that if the brawl wouldn't have happened the next season and if we won the championship it could have been a different story. I will also acknowledge the Colts had trouble selling out games until about 2004. I live 2 hours north of Indy and I always see colts flags, license plates, and even colts themed Christmas decorations on houses. I am finally starting to see more Pacers stuff, but it's nothing compared to the Colts. I would absolutely love for both teams to be equal but i think as long as the Colts are competitive, they will probably come first.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    I respectfully disagree about the Colts being second fiddle to the Pacers. I remember our 61 win team in 2003 having trouble selling out playoff games in the first 2 rounds. I do realize that if the brawl wouldn't have happened the next season and if we won the championship it could have been a different story. I will also acknowledge the Colts had trouble selling out games until about 2004. I live 2 hours north of Indy and I always see colts flags, license plates, and even colts themed Christmas decorations on houses. I am finally starting to see more Pacers stuff, but it's nothing compared to the Colts. I would absolutely love for both teams to be equal but i think as long as the Colts are competitive, they will probably come first.
    I don't really think sell-outs is a good indicator of anything other than amount of tickets sold.

I don't think that's true. The Colts going on a historic run with one of the greatest quarterbacks ever which peaked with a Super Bowl championship was going to leave the Pacers in the dust no matter what. The tide was already turning towards the Colts favor in 03-04 when both teams made it to the Conference Finals of their respective league. The clowns ruining the Pacers just meant that they fell much further than they otherwise would have. But no matter what, the Colts and Peyton going on the most historic sports run in the city's history was going to leave the Pacers as a distant second regardless of how good the Pacers were. The NFL is just a way more popular sport and have much more appeal to the masses.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Would Notre Dame ever get much love in the state??
    "He's too little! He's too little! Hook his @ss he's too little!!" - David West

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, as mentioned earlier I was a huge fan up until the brawl, at that point I was absolutely disgusted with the team, and couldnt bring myself to watch them especially with the Colts being such a class act... Eventually decided to come back a couple years before our first playoff run (so I guess around 08, 09?) And gradually fell more and more in love with the team until I became a hardcore fan again after that playoff run... So perhaps others just took longer to come back to the team.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

22. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Would Notre Dame ever get much love in the state??
    Most Notre Dame fans would be Bulls fans so it wouldn't really affect the Pacers, but Notre Dame will never get a real basketball fanbase until they get a real coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Most Notre Dame fans would be Bulls fans so it wouldn't really affect the Pacers, but Notre Dame will never get a real basketball fanbase until they get a real coach.
    Would they get much support in the state for their football team?
    "He's too little! He's too little! Hook his @ss he's too little!!" - David West

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Would they get much support in the state for their football team?
    Biggest football fanbase in Indiana.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Nothing wrong with a little fan-snobbery. Sure, we all jumped on the wagon at some point. If people are allowed to snob out on other things(food, movies, beer,) why is it so bad to do so with fandom?
    I'm not a fan of snobbery in general. I like what I like, and I try to leave it at that. After that, it just seems to be more about ego than any actual product.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the road game crowds, I've seen a lot more Pacer fans than the last few seasons.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

I see Lance as a current and future force in generating new fans. He has been getting a lot of love in NBA.com Top 10s, and has established a strong identity in the league this season. He is just so fun to watch, and he represents the largest basketball market in the world.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Sollozzo was being generous including Purdue and Butler. It's an IU state and every other basketball team is just living in it.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Sollozzo was being generous including Purdue and Butler. It's an IU state and every other basketball team is just living in it.
    Ain't that the truth. The Pacers are clearly less popular than IU basketball in this state. Not with me, but more people than who know Paul George is a Pacer.

It's probably like this:

IU > Pacers > Butler > Purdue

In the brawl era and the JOb disaster it was this:

IU > Butler > Purdue > Carmel High School > Pacers

You know it's bad when Victor Oladipo, a year away from IU, is more popular in central Indiana than George Hill.

On the Bandwagon. Paul George has become my 2nd/3rd player ( tied with James Hardin)