Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Default Re: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that was the night before Thanksgiving, so there were obviously a lot of people sitting in their houses with family watching TV. But I'm still shocked that that game is the highest rated regular season game since 2005
    Never underestimate the power of Cody.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I was absolutely a bandwagon Colts fan. I never liked the Colts when I was a kid and only started paying attention when they got Peyton. I'm a pretty big football fan now because of it. Ya gotta start some where.

I've heard many times over the years that Indy would never give heavy support to both the Colts and Pacers at the times. We're seeing that isn't the case. The Colts are still insanely popular and will always dominate the local discussion, but the Pacers have made massive strides over the last two years and are once again firmly implanted in the local scene. It's great to see both of them succeeding at the same time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    There you go. Can't believe I forgot that. That explains it. Great point!

Wow.

I know that was the night before Thanksgiving, so there were obviously a lot of people sitting in their houses with family watching TV. But I'm still shocked that that game is the highest rated regular season game since 2005.

It's great to see such big ratings. People are clearly interested. I've always maintained that deep down, there was always a lot of love for the Pacers in Indy. It's just that the Pacers completely nuked their brand from 2004-2010, so bringing people back was going to take some time. But it's finally happened.
    One thing about a 16-1 record, it grabs a lot of attention from those who maybe are busy or thinking of other things. Maybe people who want to follow the pacers, but are busy or have family members who don't care about basketball it gives them an excuse to make a point to watch some of the games.

I'll be interested to see if these numbers hold when the Pacers record is 24-8 (or whatever, point being when the newness of a great start wears off) and IU and Purdue, Butler start their conference schedules.

I wish they would publish the ratings after every game. Have to figure the game against the heat next week will get more than a 6.45

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    One thing about a 16-1 record, it grabs a lot of attention from those who maybe are busy or thinking of other things. Maybe people who want to follow the pacers, but are busy or have family members who don't care about basketball it gives them an excuse to make a point to watch some of the games.

I'll be interested to see if these numbers hold when the Pacers record is 24-8 (or whatever, point being when the newness of a great start wears off) and IU and Purdue, Butler start their conference schedules.

I wish they would publish the ratings after every game. Have to figure the game against the heat next week will get more than a 6.45
    This month is by far the Pacers toughest month schedule wise. After this trip, Miami a couple of times and then Houston the schedule gets easy for the Pacers they could go on a month long winning streak and that would also bring in the fans. We do have a game against the Clips and Golden State next month but no one else that matters.

I'd like to see the full rankings of local ratings. That would add a lot to the national broadcast debate.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

There you go. Can't believe I forgot that. That explains it. Great point!
    Even the refs must have known that a large college basketball crowd would be watching, because they decided to make the game as unwatchable as all college basketball is this year with "the new rules."

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Wow.

I know that was the night before Thanksgiving, so there were obviously a lot of people sitting in their houses with family watching TV. But I'm still shocked that that game is the highest rated regular season game since 2005.

It's great to see such big ratings. People are clearly interested. I've always maintained that deep down, there was always a lot of love for the Pacers in Indy. It's just that the Pacers completely nuked their brand from 2004-2010, so bringing people back was going to take some time. But it's finally happened.
    And that 2005 game was Reggie's last regular season game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Obviously this is great news.

It kinda sucks though, while its nice to see the Pacers getting interest, I really want no part of bandwagon fans.
    We're not so bad, especially since a lot of us have been following from a distance.

- Casual fan who signed up in 2010

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karlton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

If by now the team loses fans and viewers to COLLEGE TEAMS I swear to God...

Undefeated

Awesome! The more the merrier I say. I want my hometown to be passionate about it's sports teams. I know a lot of people switch of during the bad years, but good years bring in new fans, and like throwing mud at a wall, some of them will stick next time things go south!
    Danger Zone

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Hmmm, just noticed my posts are oddly upbeat for me today.
    Danger Zone

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The more the merrier, especially if the Pacers can reach the kids, like how they caught me 20 years ago with that first ECF run.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    The more the merrier, especially if the Pacers can reach the kids, like how they caught me 20 years ago with that first ECF run.
    That is an extremely important point. All the kids are Colts fans because of the last 10 years and not Pacers fans. Go back ten years ago and the opposite was true.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Exactly. If I spent my age 12-16 years watching those JOB teams I don't know where my fandom would lie right now.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'm with rabid. More Pacer fans in the stands means less room for Bulls and Heat bandwagoners. It looks like BLF may finally belong to the Pacers again when we play the top teams in the league.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:

Wow.

It's showing up in the home attendance, too. The game we went to (day after Thanksgiving) was a sellout. Sure, it was Black Friday and people had a little more time free, but it was also against the Wizards. Once we get more marquee teams in our building, we'll continue to see that attendance bump.

Most important: just keep winning. Everybody loves a winner.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I wonder what a Pacer bandwagon would look like... ;<)

when I was a wee little one, the 1970 ABA championship got me on the bandwagon.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I wonder what a Pacer bandwagon would look like... ;<)
    Peck is driving. That's me with the pitchfork.

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-06-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Obviously this is great news.

It kinda sucks though, while its nice to see the Pacers getting interest, I really want no part of bandwagon fans.
    I'd much rather the team not increase profits so that the owner doesn't allow us to exceed the cap next year, and so that the team eventually moves.

Sorry - bandwagoneers are completely necessary. Besides, most fans of sports teams start that way.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You are definitely in the minority. Not to say we don't love having you as a Pacers fan, but in that day in age it was just pass the Bird/Magic era. People were hopping around from Isiah and to eventually MJ. I don't think too many people really watched the Pacers just for Reggie. Of course my perception could be skewed since I lived in the suburbs with my folks at the time.

The Pacers went from a team of thug wannabe to having Dunleavy and Murphy being the cornerstones of the franchise. Both of whom were very unpopular to the IU/Perdue fans who followed the Pacers thru their dark years. Granger and Foster were the only bright lights in this entire era, IMO. Bird, then Vogel along with Hibbs, Pg, and Hans with their fire and hustle starting growing a small following of folks(like me) who only watched a Pacers game once in a blue moon. The only reason I stayed on the wagon through the JOB era was because I was a Granger fan from his college days. IMHO, most NBA team fans become fans from following a particular player coming out of college, or being lead there by parents or friends. Personally, in the many years I've been a fan, my favorite team has almost always been about a particular player. If Paul George and Hibbert and company can bring in a ton of new "bandwagon fans" to fill the coffers and build the name back up, I say "Welcome aboard!"

Diehard fans start as bandwagon fans.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Nothing wrong with a little fan-snobbery. Sure, we all jumped on the wagon at some point. If people are allowed to snob out on other things(food, movies, beer,) why is it so bad to do so with fandom?