Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Default Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Nice news release from the club. "The Indiana Pacers' home telecasts have increased by 113 percent from a season ago, the team announced on Wednesday."

This is on Fox Sports Indiana.

Overall, the Pacers’ local television ratings rank fourth in the NBA, up from 13th at the end of last season.

Good stuff. Hope it kicks in for the Pacers this year. A couple nice harvests after those drought years is deserved.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bandwagon is loading: 113% better TV ratings

Obviously this is great news.

It kinda sucks though, while its nice to see the Pacers getting interest, I really want no part of bandwagon fans.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It kinda sucks though, while its nice to see the Pacers getting interest, I really want no part of bandwagon fans.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I say welcome aboard. Us hard core types will still be here, and part of the pleasure is seeing the development. Bandwagon fans can enjoy the high times, but not in the same way.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

At one point in time I probably would have agreed with this sentiment. But now I say the more the merrier. In order to get more die hard fans you have to start somewhere. I'm sure there will be several of these "bandwagoners" that will turn into tremendously great fans.

Welcome aboard, newbies. Grab some popcorn. Your in for a fun ride.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

It's because of Lord Scola...
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SamBear For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea Bandwagon annoy me because they don't really know whats going on except for the fact that they are winning. It's almost impossible to have a basketball debate or convo with a bandwagon fan or a player fan. I came in as a fan in 06-07 season just in time for the dark ages of Pacers history

I'm glad I did because I got to experience the growth of the team and appreciate when we win instead of being a hard headed fan that thinks who ever they like are THE BEST.
    Last edited by KingGeorge_24; 12-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”

Well, let's be real with ourselves for a moment. At least with the 80's babies like myself, we don't really have much bad basketball in Indiana. I mean really. Yes. JOB era was awful. The brawl was awful. Now lets rewind. Most of you like me started watching in the 90's. The Pacers were really good. Really good until 2005.

Then it was bad. Until 2010. And then **** has been pretty great since. I mean if you take 5 bad years out of the nearly 20 years I've watched this team? Yeah. I can't sit here and say, "**** was awful, I've watched this team be terrible year after year and to finally be good? This isn't "finally" getting good. This is, "finally getting good....AGAIN."

There are a lot of teams that have simply not had the success of the Pacers.

Anywho, I welcome everyone, and don't blame folks who didn't want to watch a terrible product.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I don't mind bandwagon fans. Gotta start somewhere. Like a few others have mentioned, everyone who stuck it out during the rough years can have a broader appreciation of this current squad.

That said, I do mind bandwagon fans when it comes time to actually attend a game. The days of easily sitting in the lower level for $30 are long gone, I'm afraid.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not all of these people are "bandwagon fans" per se. Many of them were good fans for a long time, but they were run off by the foul stench of the 2004-2010 years in which the Pacers were an abysmally run franchise that soiled their once proud name. We had a brawl that became a national incident, unlikable selfish players, an Artest trade demand, scary off the court incidents.........then the bad seeds were replaced by boring players coached by Jim O'Brien, who lost a lot of games and played a practically unwatchable form of basketball. It was just as hideous of a 6 year period as a franchise can have. Most people don't like to buy crappy products, and the Pacers were indeed a very crappy product over that time period. Meanwhile, the NFL team across the street was going on a phenomenal run of success with one of the greatest quarterbacks ever which resulted in a Super Bowl championship. People who didn't devote their lives to the Pacers simply found other ways to spend their time. Hell, many of the diehards on this board got to a point where they had enough of the team, so it's not surprising that casual locals were turned off.

That's all changed in over the last couple of seasons. The tide began to turn in the 11-12 season, then the team's popularity completely exploded last spring when we beat a nationally hyped Knicks team and took a Heat team to 7 games. The community is now recognizing that this is an intelligently run franchise with very likable players who play damn good basketball.

This is nothing but positive news. The community is falling back in love with the Pacers and it's a beautiful thing. I welcome these people back with open arms and hope they enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Really? And where DO you want the Pacers to be playing instead of Indiana?

Seriously, most casual fans become fans of a team by first being bandwagon fans. How many people on this board jumped on the Reggie Wagon and then stuck it out?

Not everyone is lucky enough to get to go see lots of games as a kid - and with broadcast TV no longer being an option, the only way a lot of people are going to get behind the team is to hear about them in the paper/web/twitterverse/non-sports radio. Until the Pacers win, none of those venues pay any attention to them.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

My biggest fear is getting Heat "fans" when LBJ opts out or is no longer a part of the Heat organization. I also think PG24 could bring something us hardcore Pacers fans have never seen....the "player fan." My family has had tix since the ABA days, and I have been a die hard fan my whole life. Honestly I just can't understand how anyone can be a bandwagoner. It just baffles me. Although following Indiana teams I have only seen 1 championship and that was the Colts. I will say it made it that much sweeter. I hope I finally get to see a Pacers championship in my lifetime now. We are due.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indy_nick For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya'll are right, I understand fans have to start somewhere. I guess I'm more thinking I don't want fans of other teams all of a sudden becoming a fan.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Success and bandwagon fans go hand and hand, so it is just an annoyance you have to put up with. Not much use in complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_nick View Post
    My biggest fear is getting Heat "fans" when LBJ opts out or is no longer a part of the Heat organization. I also think PG24 could bring something us hardcore Pacers fans have never seen....the "player fan." My family has had tix since the ABA days, and I have been a die hard fan my whole life. Honestly I just can't understand how anyone can be a bandwagoner. It just baffles me. Although following Indiana teams I have only seen 1 championship and that was the Colts. I will say it made it that much sweeter. I hope I finally get to see a Pacers championship in my lifetime now. We are due.
    I think a lot of Laker fans are actually coming over to the Pacers. Since their team isn't going anywhere soon and Kobe's been out it seems a lot of them have adopted PG and the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    I think a lot of Laker fans are actually coming over to the Pacers. Since their team isn't going anywhere soon and Kobe's been out it seems a lot of them have adopted PG and the Pacers.
    i got a kick out of reading the paul george thread on laker nation. many over there truly felt as if it were a forgone conclusion that paul was just going to jump on over to l.a. because he was from the area. they thought he would be happy being kobe's robin and that the lakers would simply take him away from us.
    nice to see how it turned out and that i suspect the laker fans are in for a bit of a rude awakening in that with buss jr. in charge, the lakers aren't run like they used to be. i get a vibe buss jr. could be dolan of the west.

Obviously if it's local ratings we aren't getting "other fans". These are fair weather fans.

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    Overall, the Pacers’ local television ratings rank fourth in the NBA, up from 13th at the end of last season.
    Wow.

That's gotta be percentage, right? Not total numbers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I'd much rather have my team's "bandwagon fans" filling the seats than the other team's "bandwagon fans," wouldn't you?

What's that saying? "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

EDIT: My 2000th post! Took me almost 10 years lol. Yay for me.
    Last edited by rabid; 12-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.

30. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy_nick View Post
    I cant disagree with this moore. My father had basically no interest in sports when i was a kid. The only exposure to basketball i had was seeing IU games with my grandfather and you know, living in Indiana. The first time I heard about the pacers was when they drafted Reggie, and that was people complaining! That peaked my interest but i still did not have any way of watching them in northern indiana. I was in a hotel for work in 93 the first time i saw them and Reggie is why I became a fan. We watch sports to see greatness, without that you dont add fans

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

I don't mind it at all. After those dark years, I'm not sure how many of them are "bandwagon" fans or dormant fans. Either way, I don't care. More fans is great for the city and great for the franchise. I don't hold myself to a higher fan standard because I stuck around for the lean years. I want to share our success with as many people as possible.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Only downside to bandwagon fans is not as many super cheap tickets. All for it otherwise.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Only downside to bandwagon fans is not as many super cheap tickets. All for it otherwise.
    Agreed, been there all those years when we sucked and now that we're good my game attendance capabilities are dwindling.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I was absolutely a bandwagon Colts fan. I never liked the Colts when I was a kid and only started paying attention when they got Peyton. I'm a pretty big football fan now because of it. Ya gotta start some where.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fox-s...184547_9629121

As the team charged out of the gate to a franchise-best record, ratings of FOX Sports Indiana game telecasts in November soared to a 113 percent increase over a year ago. That is the team’s highest opening month since 2005 and the increase is the largest in the NBA this season. Overall, the Pacers’ local television ratings ranked fourth in the NBA, up from 13th at the end of last season.

In addition, the Nov. 27 game at Charlotte (6.45) was the highest-rated regular season game on FOX Sports Indiana since April 20, 2005 (6.52, season finale, vs. Chicago). Overall, Pacers telecasts on FOX Sports Indiana are averaging a 4.1 household rating in the Indianapolis market, according to Nielsen Media Research.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

In addition, the Nov. 27 game at Charlotte (6.45) was the highest-rated regular season game on FOX Sports Indiana since April 20, 2005 (6.52, season finale, vs. Chicago). Overall, Pacers telecasts on FOX Sports Indiana are averaging a 4.1 household rating in the Indianapolis market, according to Nielsen Media Research.
    Wow.

I know that was the night before Thanksgiving, so there were obviously a lot of people sitting in their houses with family watching TV. But I'm still shocked that that game is the highest rated regular season game since 2005.

It's great to see such big ratings. People are clearly interested. I've always maintained that deep down, there was always a lot of love for the Pacers in Indy. It's just that the Pacers completely nuked their brand from 2004-2010, so bringing people back was going to take some time. But it's finally happened.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: