Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Paul deserve POTM over Lebron?

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Did Paul deserve POTM over Lebron?

Just as the title says. Lebron's offensive stats were basically undeniably better than PG's, so that basically makes it so Paul's defense has to have been so much better than lebron's that it lifts him over the hump. What do you think?

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Default Re: Did Paul deserve POTM over Lebron?

It's not best stats of the month. If it were, then Lebron would have won the award in virtually every month of his career.

Paul deserved it because he has transformed from an all-star into a true superstar on a team that only lost 1 game in November. He deserved the award over Lebron.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Through my biased eyes I would say certainly so...

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not best stats of the month. If it were, then Lebron would have won the award in virtually every month of his career.

Paul deserved it because he has transformed from an all-star into a true superstar on a team that only lost 1 game in November. He deserved the award over Lebron.
    It isn't MIP of the month or best player on best team of the month, its best player of the month. Best stats of the month would be a closer description to what the award is than what you described.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

I had no idea who won player of the month, and could care less. It seems pretty silly and doesn't mean anything.

I would think the way to choose the winner is to look at it like MVP of the month. That seems like the logical way.
    Last edited by sopgy; 12-04-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: can't spell

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Probably not, but Warren Central sure deserved the 6A state Championship over Carmel

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Probably not, but Warren Central sure deserved the 6A state Championship over Carmel

If you go for it on 4th and goal from the 3 in a 3-0 game, then you deserve to lose, I'll give you that.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Team success has a lot to do with these type of awards as does the Player of the Week award.

If you notice the press releases whenever the NBA announces these awards, they always mention how many games the team won during the week or month. Many times another player might've had better stats during a certain week but if they went 2-2 while the next best player's team went 4-0, they'll usually give the award to the player with the better win record. The same goes for Player of the Month.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

if they used only stats lebron would have won mvp every year except his rookie season lol. theres more to it

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As others have said, stats are not the sole criteria. From the outside looking in, you see that the Pacers have obviously had an improvement record wise. You also see that PG has had a marked statistical improvement. Obviously PG was given a lot of credit for the correlation between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    It isn't MIP of the month or best player on best team of the month, its best player of the month. Best stats of the month would be a closer description to what the award is than what you described.
    There's no "best" in the description.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I don't have an answer to the question, I am just glad I figured out what POTM stands for. I have a feeling in about 5 years I won't be able to read this forum at all because I won't know what the heck is being discussed half the time

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

The NBA is a business and its a great way to recognize winning teams with elite play from an individual. Gratz to King George..

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't have an answer to the question, I am just glad I figured out what POTM stands for. I have a feeling in about 5 years I won't be able to read this forum at all because I won't know what the heck is being discussed half the time
    ATTT

Ain't that the truth.

I spent an entire career in IT, a profession that is the king of acronym usage, and without looking up half the acronyms being used, I'm lost. And that last statement doesn't really require any additional comment from you young fellas.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

15-1 25, 6, 4 on 48%, 40%, and 85%. Lebron's stats are even sillier but Paul's are good enough to get it done when you combine the team success.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Team success always factors into handing out individual awards.

Like it or not, fair or not.

It is what it is.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Interesting stat, if Paul scores 29 points or more tonight, he will pass his total scoring output from his rookie year. If he gets 5 assists or more, he will pass his entire assist output from his rookie year. ....In game 19

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Well then, he's not going to win Rookie of the Month any time soon.

One aspect that a lot of people overlook when it comes to individual rewards is how that player helps the team to be better. How good was Chris Bosh in Toronto when his stats rarely translated to a winning record when he was in Toronto? Probably not as good as his stats said he was. How well the players play translates into wins for his team is an important question to ask when selecting MVP or player of the month or defensive player of the year.

Sports Logo

To be perfectly honest I was surprised when I heard PG got it. LeBron is shooting something like 60% from the floor, isn't he?

Many people feel Michael Jordan should have won 2 or 3 more MVP awards. There is a feeling that the voters got bored with Michael a couple times and went with a fresh name. I feel like voters probably got bored with LeBron here, too.

It is nice to see PG recognized, though.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder if it wasn't PG's defensive prowess that put him a little ahead of LeBron. PG is actually out-stealing and out-rebounding LBJ this year.

Interesting facts about LeBron:

- This is his ELEVENTH season. Where has the time gone? The guy seemingly has a million NBA miles on that body.
    - His shooting percentage has gone UP every year of his career, except once in his 4th season, it dipped by .04.
    - His rebounds are down quite a bit this year, over 2 per game. He's always hovered around the 7.5-8.0 mark, but he's at 5.8 this year.
    - His steals and blocks are also at career lows.

Something tells me the old man might be slowin' down a bit and putting most of his effort into offense. The effort stats are sagging. His shooting percentages are really impressive though. He's at 60% from the field and almost 50% from 3.

We still have a lot of season left, so it's entirely probable that the LBJ train picks up steam as the season goes on.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I wonder if it wasn't PG's defensive prowess that put him a little ahead of LeBron.

Interesting facts about LeBron:

- This is his ELEVENTH season. Where has the time gone? The guy seemingly has a million NBA miles on that body.
    - His shooting percentage has gone UP every year of his career, except once in his 4th season, it dipped by .04.
    - His rebounds are down quite a bit this year, over 2 per game. He's always hovered around the 7.5-8.0 mark, but he's at 5.8 this year.
    - His steals and blocks are also at career lows.

Something tells me the old man might be slowin' down a bit and putting most of his effort into offense. The effort stats are sagging. His shooting percentages are really impressive though. He's at 60% from the field and almost 50% from 3.

We still have a lot of season left, so it's entirely probable that the LBJ train picks up steam as the season goes on.

He turns 29 in a few weeks. He's certainly a rare physical specimen, but he's still a human being. It's inevitable that his body is going to start to go on the decline soon. He's knocking on 30's doorstep and has a million miles on that body.

I'll be curious to see how great he can be as he gets into his 30's. Kobe played at a premier level all the way up to that injury last year. 45 was still icing cats and winning rings at age 35, but it's important to note that he basically took two years off from the NBA. Can Lebron be as good in his 30's as Kobe and Jordan? I'm curious to find out how great he can be once he loses a bit of that physical edge.

This year, Lebron is going to attempt to do something that neither Jordan or Kobe did - make a fourth consecutive Finals. There's a reason that it hasn't been done since the Celtics in the 80's. It's an absurdly difficult thing to do. I remember three years ago when the Lakers were going for their fourth in a row. They looked completely gassed by the time the playoffs rolled around and Dallas swept them. Going to the Finals for three consecutive years and adding those two months of intense playoff basketball against elite competition after playing a grueling six month season just takes a massive toll on one's body. I think that the Heat are going to be running low on fuel by the time the playoffs come around this year. They are obviously going to be extremely tough to knockout, but they will be more vulnerable than ever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This year, Lebron is going to attempt to do something that neither Jordan or Kobe did - make a fourth consecutive Finals. There's a reason that it hasn't been done since the Celtics in the 80's. It's an absurdly difficult thing to do. I remember three years ago when the Lakers were going for their fourth in a row. They looked completely gassed by the time the playoffs rolled around and Dallas swept them. Going to the Finals for three consecutive years and adding those two months of intense playoff basketball against elite competition after playing a grueling six month season just takes a massive toll on one's body. I think that the Heat are going to be running low on fuel by the time the playoffs come around this year. They are obviously going to be extremely tough to knockout, but they will be more vulnerable than ever.
    And this will be the excuse that Miami uses WHEN we beat them and go to the finals

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Wow. That's quite a stat.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    Wow. That's quite a stat.
    Hell ya it is, and he's shooting almost 60% this year, which is.......... unbelievable for a player who's offense includes a lot of perimeter stuff.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.