Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers 2010 Draft Grade for Paul George = F

Default Re: Pacers 2010 Draft Grade for Paul George = F

One lesson is, if you ever get requested to grade the 2nd Round of a draft, the safe play is to write: "F. This player will not make the NBA" for everyone. Be right 90% of the time

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

If Paul George was drafted somewhere else, would he be the player he is today? I'd argue no.

Paul and Lance have grown into winning players, in large part, because of the winning environment they were drafted into.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Paul George was drafted somewhere else, would he be the player he is today? I'd argue no.

Paul and Lance have grown into winning players, in large part, because of the winning environment they were drafted into.
    Someone had said during the game tonight that had PG been drafted #1 he wouldn't be the player that he is today. Part of me wants to disagree, but then the other part realizes the #1 pick was held by the Wizards, with Nick Young, Blatche, and JAVELL MCGEE!
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wanted Paul George at number 10 that year. I even have the Facebook posts begging for Bird not to trade him to prove it.

Some NBA team should hire me as a scout.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I've never heard of Dave Del Grande, and CBS Sports(line) has been part of my daily rotation for 15 years. Apparently, he's a fantasy guy who did freelance for the site.

Moron.
    His draft grades are the worst I've ever seen. I have no doubt that a monkey drawing Scrabble tiles out of a bag could do significantly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I wanted Paul George at number 10 that year. I even have the Facebook posts begging for Bird not to trade him to prove it.

Some NBA team should hire me as a scout.
    Ha, I wanted him because I downloaded some shared rosters on NBA 2k10 and he was a great player in those rosters. He could shoot 3s, dunk and defend well...that's all you need in that game, haha.

But yeah...it's hard to evaluate talent. There have been plenty of "can't miss" prospects who have been busts and plenty of no-name guys who became superstars. The NBA is such a different game from the NCAA, it's hard to tell who will be able to adapt. I'm sure the Pacers FO was high on PG, but I doubt they imagined he would turn into this.

Probably no player in the history of the NBA came in with more of a can't miss profile than Ralph Sampson. At 7 "4 with great agility and overall athleticism, he was a 3-time NCAA player of the year. While not a complete bust, he only had about 3 good years before knee problems brought him down.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to McClintic Sphere For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    Probably no player in the history of the NBA came in with more of a can't miss profile than Ralph Sampson. At 7 "4 with great agility and overall athleticism, he was a 3-time NCAA player of the year. While not a complete bust, he only had about 3 good years before knee problems brought him down.
    Had to thank your post. What's it been about two maybe three years since we've heard from ya? Welcome back....
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Had to thank your post. What's it been about two maybe three years since we've heard from ya? Welcome back....
    Oh, hey, yeah. Good to see some of the old crew is still on here. Thanks for the welcome. I think it's actually been more like 5 years (just a wee hiatus).

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Someone had said during the game tonight that had PG been drafted #1 he wouldn't be the player that he is today. Part of me wants to disagree, but then the other part realizes the #1 pick was held by the Wizards, with Nick Young, Blatche, and JAVELL MCGEE!
    The team a player plays for early in his career has a great affect on the kind of player he will end up being. Lebron is obviously an exception, but certain environments are more likely to develop a player more completely and better than other environments. If Lance went to someplace like the Wizards he might have gotten more opportunity early on, but he would most likely wouldn't grow much in the team concept or defense. I personally feel like a player like Jordan Crawford would be a much better player today if he was drafted or traded to a better organization that was more discipline in its approach. Instead he is just another chucker with suspect defense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    Oh, hey, yeah. Good to see some of the old crew is still on here. Thanks for the welcome. I think it's actually been more like 5 years (just a wee hiatus).
    5 years is a wee hiatus like a broken femur is "minor leg damage".

Nice to meet you. I'm TinMan. I'm excited to see posters make it back to posting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    that goes to show you don't always have to draft for need. Best player available is the way to build a franchise. If Cleveland had paid attention, they wouldn't be stuck with Anthony Bennett
    wasted draft pick. Cleveland smh