View Poll Results: Where does PG belong?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • He belongs with LeBron and Durant

41 60.29%
  • He belongs with Melo, and Steph Curry, etc.

24 35.29%
  • Not a full out superstar yet

3 4.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where does Paul George belong in the NBA ranks?

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where does Paul George belong in the NBA ranks?

1. LeBron (Most complete player in the world, by a fairly wide margin)
    2. Kevin Durant (Probably the league's most elite scorer, with only LeBron giving him a challenge, with an improving overall game, but still defensive issues)
    3. Paul George (Strong overall game, with improving scoring [although still well short of Durant], and an elite defender)

I think George and Durant have similar all-around games. The difference between the two is that one's an elite scorer with adequate defense, whereas, the other's a very good scorer with elite defense. Right or wrong, scoring ability is largely considered a more valuable trait than defense (Dirk Nowitzki vs. Dikembe Mutombo, for example), so the masses will view Durant as the superior player. Also, Durant's been doing it for longer, so he's more proven than PG.

At this point, I consider George on a tier above Curry and Melo, a tier below Durant, and two tiers below LeBron. I think it's possible he could move up a tier to be on the same level of Durant, but moving up two tiers to LeBron's level is probably out of reach; LeBron's just too much of a physical freak.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is KD better? Bigger track record? Does he okay Paul's level of defense? Does he have big rebounding games like Paul? The steals? I have no idea, so I'm asking.
    Umm... I don't know maybe because he's been an elite player for years and PG for a couple of months?

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that Paul George will be considered equal to KD by the end of this season but he has to show consistency.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    KD is KD at this point.
    KD just turned 25 years old. KD is going to continue to improve

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    KD just turned 25 years old. KD is going to continue to improve
    If KD ever becomes an elite defender he will be at the very top tier, no question. As it is, PG and LeBron could fall out of the rafters of the arena and play better D on the way to the floor than Durant.

One thing that maybe we don't discuss enough when it comes to Paul and something that is completely new this year.

His ability to hit tough well defended shots. The pacers have never had a player capable of doing that. (with Reggie you had to run a bunch of plays to get him his shot) with Paul you can now pretty much just give him the ball and tell him to score and he can. That is what makes a scorer impossible to stop - 1 guy cannot guard him because even if he does a great job Paul still scores. This ability in your best player is what also makes your team a championship contender.

This skill is still developing, so he'll get more consistant at it and make better decisions when to try and score over good defense or when to move the ball to teammates.

This is IMO by far the biggest development in Paul's game from just last season.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    If KD ever becomes an elite defender he will be at the very top tier, no question. As it is, PG and LeBron could fall out of the rafters of the arena and play better D on the way to the floor than Durant.
    I don't agree. His defense is pretty good, not as consistant as it could be, but it is IMO not a weakness in his game. He's not as good as Lebron or PG certainly, but he is in no way a liability. KD is also a really good passer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

give paul george a year or 2 of this production to even start being compared to durant......

that being said, you can place him 3-5 of top players and i wouldn't be mad

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't agree. His defense is pretty good, not as consistant as it could be, but it is IMO not a weakness in his game. He's not as good as Lebron or PG certainly, but he is in no way a liability. KD is also a really good passer
    i honestly think because Durants offense is so damn good, people overlook his defensive abilities

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHale For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    KD is not really a bad defender though. He's not elite, but he's not a liability either. He gets his fair share of blocks and steals, and he's never gotten completely torched by an opposing player (Lebron aside) His offense however is on another planet at the moment.

Not only does KD have a much longer track record, but he's put up these same type of scoring numbers in the playoffs as well. He is also extremely efficient, and has been very clutch throughout his career.

Unlike most on this board, I take elite, efficient offense over elite defense any day of the week. Durant has put up HOF type of scoring stats throughout his career, while Paul George is just now finding his way to being a superstar. This doesn't mean that Paul can't catch him, I just think KD's track record outweighs Paul's last 20 games or so.

There is a good debate for the 3rd best player in the league right now between PG, and CP3 however. CP3 has also had a very long track record, and has been arguably the best PG for a decade or so (though Tony Parker may be better). But PG has already guided his team deeper into the playoffs than CP3 ever has. Also, wings tend to be a lot more valuable against great teams as opposed to pg's. If you watched the Heat/Clippers game from earlier in the season, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He is a better playmaker the past few years and yes his rebounding is very solid. They aren't that different of players really. KD came into the league as a shooter /scorer now he is a complete playmaker as well.

28, 8 and 5 speaks for itself, but he is just so hard to guard. I think Paul puts up simlar #s in a few years though, but right now it is still KD.
    Okay, but what about defensive ability and/or versatility?

He's definitely at Melo's level. Not sure he's quite there at Durant and LeBron's level. Probably another year or 2 away. Has to show he can consistently be a #1 option. He's showing it so far this year, but it's only 1 year. Can't crown the guy king over night.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

The only offensive area that PG is behind KD in is Free Throws. KD takes an average of 11 a game. PG averages 5.5 a game. Give PG 5 or 6 more FTs a game and his scoring number is right there with KD. Almost all the other shooting stats are pretty similar. And if PG continues to play like he has recently, teams will defend him closer, which should lead to more FT attempts ..............

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The greatest thing about this thread is that it's a real discussion.

PG is that good, and he's a Pacer! makes me all warm inside.

Just remember he's human and will probably have a few awful games in this long NBA season.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Folks, KD has made massive improvements as a defender. He is REALLY good defensively. Not elite, but he's really good. And he can do things that PG can't like defend the rim and block shots. As someone said earlier, people tend to overlook KD's play defensively because he's a juggernaut offensively.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

PG24 might be as high as #3 in the league right now. He has to play like prime Kobe to surpass Durant who is averaging over 28ppg, 8+ boards and 5+ assists.

yea, Durant has been play all around this season. I put Paul George with Lebron and KD because i already seen him play in the big moments and he has the killer instinct. He thinks he is up there with Lebron and Durant and he shows it on the court. He hit clutch shots, went head to head with Lebron. Already stopped Melo because of his elite defense. His playmaking for others is pretty good too...not Lebron though. And i feel pretty confident that this is the year we beat Miami because PG has elevated his game to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRyan07 View Post
    yea, Durant has been play all around this season. I put Paul George with Lebron and KD because i already seen him play in the big moments and he has the killer instinct. He thinks he is up there with Lebron and Durant and he shows it on the court. He hit clutch shots, went head to head with Lebron. Already stopped Melo because of his elite defense. His playmaking for others is pretty good too...not Lebron though. And i feel pretty confident that this is the year we beat Miami because PG has elevated his game to another level.

Paul George is better than Kevin Durant. He will shutdown your best player + has more of an alpha mentality whereas Durant needs Westbrook
    Last edited by lilojmayo; 12-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

I like to point out simply if KD was on the Pacers, we would be even better.

It helps we have Hibbert cover some of PG's mistakes, and sometimes it's also on the coach to instill that commitment, which I think Vogel does a better job than Brooks.