Thread: Memphis Grizzlies Radio Voice Don Poier dies suddenly in Denver

Default Memphis Grizzlies Radio Voice Don Poier dies suddenly in Denver

Don Poier
    Memphis Grizzlies Statement on the Passing of Don Poier

Memphis, Tennessee, January 21, 2005 — The Memphis Grizzlies are deeply saddened to report the death of Don Poier, the voice of the Grizzlies on radio and on TV, a treasured member of the Grizzlies family who passed away suddenly in Denver on January 21, 2005.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Don’s wife, Barbara, and their entire family. “Don thanked God every day that he got to do this job. He loved the Grizzlies, the city of Memphis and the fans more than anything.”

The Memphis Grizzlies will open the doors to FedExForum early for tomorrow’s game vs. Orlando so that fans and friends of Don Poier may pay their respects. Between 5 pm and 7 pm, fans may enter through the main doors of FedExForum to go to the Memphis Grizzlies practice court where there will be an opportunity to drop off cards or letters for the family, sign a guestbook, see photographs and hear game calls. Tickets are not required unless planning to stay for the game.

In lieu of flowers, donations in the name of Don Poier can be made to the Grizzlies Charitable Foundation, 191 Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee 38103.

Default Re: Memphis Grizzlies Radio Voice Don Poier dies suddenly in Denver

I'll be honest that I've never heard of him, but he really doesn't look that old and looks pretty healthy from the picture.

That's too bad.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Memphis Grizzlies Radio Voice Don Poier dies suddenly in Denver

He was one of the better announcers. For a city that had not had a team very long he was a lot better at knowing the opposing players than some of the guys who have done it for years. He was not a total homer and he seemed to actually have some knowledge of the game. Not something you can say about every cities TV guys.

I hate it when I have to watch the Lakers or Jazz feed because their TV guys are idiots.