Thread: Stern is such a friggin' liar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Stern is such a friggin' liar

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3330840

J.B.: After the "basket brawl" between the Pacers and Pistons, you moved swiftly, quickly and thoroughly. Did that incident create a black eye in terms of the way the sport was perceived around the world?
    Stern: It couldn't have helped. There are those who say, "Any publicity is good publicity." That's wrong. It showed us at our weakest moment. The only way we can deal with that is to strengthen our resolve that it won't happen again. We will be a light in the darkness of misbehaving sports fans and players. We will demonstrate to players and fans alike that sports should be our proudest moment rather than one in which we are ashamed.
    First of all, "a light in the darkness of misbehaving sports fans and players?" WTF? It looks like Stern has taken a page from Dubya's book. And "players and fans alike?" We're STILL waiting on you to punish the fans, you lying prick!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Stern is such a friggin' liar

Quote Originally Posted by btownpacer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :
    I think that horse has been beaten so much by now the atoms are smashed.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Prick
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

BrooklynJosh

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I think that horse has been beaten so much by now the atoms are smashed.....

Of course YOU would say that. You have all your team in tact.

Um, last I heard there were charges filed against some of the fans in Detroit. What the hell is Stern gonna do, fine them? Suspend them? They don't work for the league. He really can't do anything without punishing ALL the Detroit fans, and that wouldn't be right. I'm a Pacer fan, but some of y'all need to look at this from a non-biased point of view. IMO, the suspensions were right, except for JO's. Artest deserved everything he got. Flame away. That's just my damned opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    Um, last I heard there were charges filed against some of the fans in Detroit. What the hell is Stern gonna do, fine them? Suspend them? They don't work for the league. He really can't do anything without punishing ALL the Detroit fans, and that wouldn't be right. I'm a Pacer fan, but some of y'all need to look at this from a non-biased point of view. IMO, the suspensions were right, except for JO's. Artest deserved everything he got. Flame away. That's just my damned opinion.

My arguement is not with the suspensions but the lack of a reprimand of the Pistons organization. There was a definite lack of security as well as improper procedures for protecting the players.

I know Stern said everything was adequate and handled properly. If that is true, then why did he change the way thing are handled from a security standpoint?

I think most Pacer fans are just upset that 95% of blame and penantlies were dumped on the Pacers.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Very true Alabama-Redneck, though I think a 60 game suspension would have been more fair to Indiana.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Stern could've, in the least, at the press conference ripped into the fans for their part in escalating the situatuion. By not at least doing that he left the Pacers (and THEIR fans) to shoulder pretty much all of the blame and consequences. (That would include direct repercussions as well as media PR repercussions).

As far as what he could've done in a more substantial sense without hurting ALL the Piston fans.... Hurting ALL Pacer fans didn't seem to be a factor in handing out punishments to the Pacers...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well, he managed to do a pretty good job of punishing ALL Pacers fans...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

... and than there was "silence"

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

How are WE being punished? Because the team isn't playing as well as they should? We're still a good team. Hawks fans, now they are suffering. Besides, fans throw stuff all the time, but only a nutjob like Ron would go in the stands. Hell, the week after the brawl, I saw a ref almost get hit with a bottle at a Bengals/Browns game. Hell, in Pittsburgh, fans used to throw batteries at Dave Parker. He didn't even acknowledge it. If Ron would have just chilled out for a second, security would have gotten to that guy and ejected him from the game. Things like that happen sometimes. Stern didn't screw us, RON did.

_PD_

If Ron would have just chilled out for a second,
    as he should have
    security would have gotten to that guy
    I don't think that would have happened, no. Security was sucking their thumbs
    Stern didn't screw us, RON did.
    YEP

I seem to recall when the suspensions were handed down that the NBA also stated they were studying the fan reaction and more would be forthcoming. I understood this to mean changes in security and changes in sanctions for unruly fans, not penalties for Detroit or their fans in particular. Unless I've missed it, nothing new has happened. It ought to be very clear that you are penalized for throwing something onto the court or walking onto it AND that those rules will be enforced. If not, then sanctioning only the players is not going to fix the problem.

I've seen discussions where people didn't think it was appropriate to boo your own team. Why isn't there more outrage for people throwing things? Why has there been no response from the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by _PD_

I don't think that would have happened, no. Security was sucking their thumbs

Maybe it's just me, maybe I need to watch the video again, but how many seconds went by between the time the cup hit Ron and Ron jumped over the scorers' table? (nearly taking off poor Mark Boyle's head) I don't think security had enough time to react. I seem to be the only one who thinks this, so maybe I'm just a moron. It was only a couple of seconds if I recall. Even if security moved swiftly, they would have arrived to the area too late.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe it's just me, maybe I need to watch the video again, but how many seconds went by between the time the cup hit Ron and Ron jumped over the scorers' table? (nearly taking off poor Mark Boyle's head) I don't think security had enough time to react. I seem to be the only one who thinks this, so maybe I'm just a moron. It was only a couple of seconds if I recall. Even if security moved swiftly, they would have arrived to the area too late.
    So security is there to react, and not prevent? Huh, interesting.

Security should already be stationed behind the bench through out the game. What's going to stop someone from getting through security with a weapon(if it happens can happen at airports after 9/11 I'm sure they can do it at arenas) and coming up to the bench to shoot/stab a player?

Maybe they're there just to wear those cool colored plastic jackets and look tough.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.