Thread: Pep Hamilton under pressure to "step up his game"

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Pep Hamilton under pressure to "step up his game"

Don't know if this got posted, but it needs a thread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl

Silver added that offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton is under pressure within the Colts' facility to "step up his game" after the offense got off to slow starts in the past several weeks. According to two sources, there a feeling that Hamilton might be having a tough time adjusting in his first season as an NFL play-caller.

According to Silver, there is a belief that the team has struggled to free up receivers in the wake of Reggie Wayne's injury. The play-calling might get more imaginative and aggressive this week to combat the bracket coverage T.Y. Hilton is facing.
    Good. Hope USC hires him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pep Hamilton under pressure to "step up his game"

I'll cross my fingers, but so far he just looks like the least imaginative and most uncreative offensive mind I've ever seen. I have zero faith in him to turn it around.

I HOPE this is a sign that Pep is NOT doing exactly what Pagano wants. Just because Pagano wants a power attack doesn't necessarily mean Pep is running the current offense like Pagano would prefer it be done.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

He sure doesn't take our weaknesses into consideration when calling plays. Why not roll Luck out a lot more and go from the shotgun when Luck has defenders in his face in like 2 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He sure doesn't take our weaknesses into consideration when calling plays. Why not roll Luck out a lot more and go from the shotgun when Luck has defenders in his face in like 2 seconds?

Agreed. And why not try about 10 other simple things that should make sense for anyone watching?

Answer: He is in way over his head as an NFL coordinator.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Don't know if this got posted, but it needs a thread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl

Good. Hope USC hires him.
    Uhhhhhhhhhh.....you're just getting my hopes up right? Or did I miss something?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

He was just getting your hopes up, and now they'll be crashed and burned.

Sources: USC hires Steve Sarkisian
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/colle...football-coach
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhh.....you're just getting my hopes up right? Or did I miss something?
    There was allegedly some interest early. But it doesn't matter now, USC just hired Steve Sarkisian from Washington.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Yeah, I saw that, sorry
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They need to be telling Joe Gilbert (offensive line coach) to step up his game, also.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    They need to be telling Joe Gilbert (offensive line coach) to step up his game, also.
    I think they need to tell every coach on the offensive side of the ball they need to step up their game. Whatever the position coach for DHB is doing with him it sure as hell is not working.

If we do not see adjustments next week against the Bengals I will be at a loss. We need to see more shorter routes like slants and screens for DHB and TY to try and get the ball into their hands and work for some yac. Sure DHB has to catch it first, but he still has some great speed when he does catch it.

Why not work some screens in for DB and Trent to help combat the pass rush and roll Luck out from time to time as well.

I hated the idea of this power run game as our best player is Luck and he needs to have the ball in his hands. I am not opposed to running at all, but it it needed to be pass to setup the run from the start with Luck. Now defenses just stack the box because our formations always scream run play and our interior offensive line just gets dominated and DB and Trent get stuffed.

Why not run out of three and four wide?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Can we get Vogel to coach the Colts? Pretty sure he'd do a better job.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't want him back next year no matter what he does the rest of the year. He's horrible and doesn't belong in the NFL...that hire was way too risky at the time and I hated it then and still hate it now.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

I know that a lot of times coordinators are the ones who take the hit for a poorly performing defense/offense (like Cam Cameron last year), but plenty of blame should be placed on Pagano too. Pagano is the one who has always preached this power run stuff. I think that for the most part, Pep has run the type of offense that Pagano wants. Pagano should have seen the stuff we are seeing WEEKS AGO and told Pep to adjust and adapt more. Pep's continued lack of creativity tells me that he doesn't have a head coach above him who is putting pressure on him to change things.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pep is horrible and I don't want him back next year. But Pagano is not without blame. This pitiful offense is a head coaching failure too.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This is basically it... seems like we are unrealistic with what we seem to think we can do with the group we have. His plays would be fine if we had the people to execute them, but we don't and I don't think he gets this point, and until he does, luck will take a bunch of sacks, the run game will be hit or miss and we will struggle getting anything other than FG's.

Also I shouldn't have said his plays would be fine, sometimes he over thinks things such as the play in which Wayne got hurt and helped change the season around for us... yea....
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    There was allegedly some interest early. But it doesn't matter now, USC just hired Steve Sarkisian from Washington.
    ...or it could matter a lot more now. The Washington job looks like it'd be much more realistic for Pep than an elite job like USC. He does have experience in the Pac 12 North. Come on, Huskies. Make the call.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basically the 2 reasons I didn't want him gone after this season (assuming we were/are not going to fire him during it) is the fact that Luck had to learn his 3rd offense in respective years and the chance Pep would adapt to the personnel available and the whole mentality of the NFL which is in contrast to what he was used in college.

Right now though I feel like 'to hell with these 2 ' and fire his ***.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    ............... sometimes he over thinks things such as the play in which Wayne got hurt and helped change the season around for us... yea....
    ????

The play call contributed to Reggie getting hurt ??

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just wanted to remind you of a certain play: vs Miami, our last drive in the game, we are at Miami's 30 I think, and we are on 4th down in obvious passing formation. What does Pep do? Brings Brown in for blocking instead of Bradshaw. Of course Brown gets eaten alive by the blitz, Luck sacked, game over.

I don't care if you are new to the NFL. **** like that are not excused.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm ready to move on from Pep I think. I know it stinks that Luck and Co would have to install a new system for the third year in a row, but I just don't think Pep is an NFL caliber player caller, he was good in college though. I want more creativity!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Last year I wasn't all that happy with the offense, didn't really want Arians back as OC, but I could have lived with him sticking around. Pep, I can't live with that.

While 3 systems in 3 years is never a good idea, I think it is sometimes overestimated how bad it actually is, especially if you compare it to staying with a bad OC who won't be getting the most out of his players cause his system doesn't fit his players. It is better to take a chance on getting an OC that adjusts his system for the player's skills. This time please do not hire a rookie NFL OC. Go out and get a proven commodity.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I'm really annoyed that we didn't make an effort to get Norv Turner before before the season started. While he's a terrible HC, he's a terrific offensive coordinator who would have maximized Luck's strengths.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post: