Thread: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

Threaded View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Sinking the Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

BTW using losing 1-4 to the Bulls in the playoffs (on paper it looks bad but that series was much closer believe me) to explain how this wasn't turn around is about like those who would use the fact that Danny Granger didn't play much on team USA as an excuse to tell us why he was a bad player. In other words it doesn't work.

The same team with the same players made the playoffs when Satan in all of his years here never once sniffed the playoffs and this team was well below the playoff threshold when Frank took over.

No, the more I think about it hiring Frank Vogel may go down as one of the single most significant acts in Pacers history.

I want to be clear that I wasn't trying to marginalize what we did at the end of the 10-11 season and the playoff series against Chicago. It was clearly a turning period for the franchise and it felt like heaven after the disastrous O'Brien years. Vogel finishing the season 20-18 after the team started out 17-27 was certainly a phenomenal coaching job. There's no doubt that Vogel taking over is one of the most important moments in franchise history.

That being said, regardless of how great of a coach Vogel is, that team needed more playmakers if they were ever going to become a true contender. We desperately needed more players who could make clutch plays because our weakness against Chicago was that we simply couldn't close out. Well, Bird went out and got Vogel those players when he added West and Hill.

At the end of the day, debating the importance of Vogel vs. West is like debating a Ferrari vs. a Lamborghini. The bottom line is that virtually everything this franchise has done from 08-present has turned out incredibly well. We've witnessed the complete rebirth of a franchise and fanbase.

Maybe the most important move was Bird taking complete control in 2008 and finally having the freedom to mold a team 100% his way.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: